Yard House

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Server

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yard House.

Interview Details – Completed an online application. A manager contacted me to set up interview within a week or two. Came into restaurant for first interview. Second interview with AGM or GM for me actually was completed the same day as the first interview.

Interview Question – What are you most looking forward to working here?   Answer Question

Server

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Yard House.

Interview Details – I went in to the hiring center before the opening of the new store in Brea. The room was buzzing with anticipation and excitement, well dressed, good looking people from wall to wall. I was on a double at my other job and went between shifts. I explained that to the managers and they seemed excited about that and quickly asked me questions and moved me to the second interview and quickly went about with a formal offer.

Interview Question – Can you handle a 50 yard dash with your arms loaded with plates?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Straight up contracts, no negotiation for hourly positions

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I applied in-person - interviewed at Yard House in August 2012.

Interview Details – Managers accept all applications in person, which is a positive so that you aren't wondering if it was ever seen by management. They do a quick on the spot interview but before you are hired you must sit through 2 more interviews so that 3 managers approve of you before you are hired.

Phoenix, AZ

I applied in-person - interviewed at Yard House in July 2012.

Interview Details – Managers shuffled back and forth taking each others places while i was interview. (While judgemental, it seemed disorganized and destroyed any sense of conversational flow and continuity. Upon job offer, I requested the 10 days off for training intensive at my other job. On a side note, the manager i spoke to openly stated to me that they do not work around other jobs and that it should be expected to have a different schedule every week and will not be posted in advance (beyond the current week). I currently worked in horticulture at a local golf club and worked from 5am-between 11-2 (Almost entirely hours the restaurant would not be open). During the 10 day training we would only be expected to be there before 2pm, 1 day... i naturally asked to know which day that would be since that info was the difference between income for 10 days and 1 day. She said she couldnt tell me that and all information would be disemminated at its appropriate time during orientation. I show up at orientation, start my paperwork, only to find out that certified copies of birth certificates are not accepted (my original has been in a safe at my parents local bank since i was 17 and that has never caused a problem for me gaining employment in Tucson, Phoenix or Boulder CO. Additionally the Maricopa food server card machine was broken and i was given a temporary certificate of course completion and test passing. Despite calling the organization to confirm my story they declared it unacceptable! Then they tell me to get it right and start the 10 day orientation the following week. I apologize to my boss and beg for my shifts back, then request not only 10days off again for the following week but also a saturday so that i could meet my dad in a layover he luckily had at the Denver airport to hassle my birthcertificate "upstream" through customs/security. The 2nd orientation start date began at 4. My boss had tken me to a meeting with him in his car (it was a great networking opportunity for ne) He had promised we would be back in time for me to accomodate my plans. Well we weren't. Despite this I got into turbo mode, cleaned up, parked and had 1 minute to make the 20ft walk to the door (still not ideal in my mind, i had been at least 20 min early to all prior arrangements) I glanced in my car mirror and frantically realized my nose ring was still in and had been told no piercings so i fight it off my face as quickly as i can and run those 20ft. Walk in, manager says do you know what time it is. I said yes. She said you are 2 minutes late. Do you have an excuse? I humbly told her no, but that if she was interested i could tell her why i was late, and reitterated that it was not an excuse. She told me to wait. I waited. After waiting all managers sat me down, i was asked to explain. I was honest and upfront, explained i was doing my best to please everyone and obviously had come short of that. My other job was also very new, I was trying to make a good impression for them while requesting time of for interviewing, orientation, obtaining my original birth certificate as requested, unrequesting the time for orientation and re-requesting it. The work meeting my boss took me to ran late (my requested attendance was based on little more than altruism of supervisor who benevolently was trying to create more opportunities for me) . I explained that i had cushioned my time so I was still able to get ready in time, all culminating to arriving, noticing my face jewelry was still in, getting out of the car and in a panic made the decision to take the minute to come in looking exactly the way i should instead of right on time knowing the nose ring was not appropriate. It is clear that it did not matter what i said. I wasn't expecting it to. But if it had not been declared to me that b/c of all my ordeals with bringing the right documents the previous week and the minute of tardiness this week have made them decide its best to terminate the process with me... I would have had to say it because there was no way in hell i was going to unrequest and rerequest 10 days off again.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult was asked but on a funny note. I was asked my favorite beer and style. To which i responded Palate Wrecker, bitter, hoppy IPA; a mouthfeel on the lighter side is a bonus and skunky like greenflash wins me over. The MANAGER then proceeds to comment ooo you must like the "whatever mediocre pils that they had on draft at the time. I smiled and said not really. I don't know if that was suppose to be some kind of test, but it wasn't a good one. You either have to suggest that the manager's recommendation made no sense or pretend to like the suggested and create dissonance between your answers....   View Answer
  • My overall Opinion on the experience   View Answer

Long Beach, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Yard House in May 2008.

Interview Details – The interview process requires 3 interviews (but if you have made it to the 3rd interview you already have the position)

Interview Question – What are you average sales at your last Job   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Interviews for Top Jobs at Yard House

Worked for Yard House? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yard House Server interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Yard House employees and interview candidates.