Yard House Server Interview Questions

Updated Apr 11, 2015
Updated Apr 11, 2015

2.0

Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Yard House in April 2015.

Interview

You have to fill out an application online and complete a personality test in order to get an interview. They got back to me within a week of submitting my app. Asking me to call them to set up an interview. I called the resturant and spoke to the sever manager who asked me to come in the next day to interview with him. I show up for my interview and he isn't even working that day... i don't know why he sechduled my interview with him on his day off, the gm happened to be on a phone call at the time I got there so I ended up getting interviewed by one of the regional managers... the interview went really well. He asked me what I knew about the company and why I wanted to work for them. And why I was wanting to quit my current job. He asked me about my experience in the industry and food knowledge. He asked me what my favorite dish and cocktail was at my current job and asked to explain and sell it to him as if he were a customer. Overall the interview probably took about 15 mins.. at the end he told me he liked me but I needed to come in for a second interview with the server manager. my 2nd interview was the next day. The 2nd interview was a lot easier and shorter than the first. . The server manager told me it was a big deal & said a lot of good about me that I passed an interview with the regional manager! He hired me and sechduled me to come in the following Monday to fill out paperwork and bring them my food handlers card, alcohol certificate, and proof of elegibility to work in the U.S.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work for YH?   1 Answer
  • why are you looking to leave you current job?   1 Answer
  • What is your favorite thing on the menu at your current job? describe it and sell it to me as if I were a guest in your resturant.   Answer Question
  • What is your favorite cocktail on the menu at your current job and describe and sell it to me   Answer Question
  • What kind of beers do you sell at your current job? and how good is your beer knowledge.   1 Answer
  • What was your favorite and least favorite thing about working at your current job?   1 Answer
  • tell me about yourself   Answer Question
  • What do you do for fun?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They aere totally flexable with working around my school sechdule, but Weekend availability is a MUST!!! Training is A LOT and a super extensive process. It lasts 8 days and you have to pass a final written exam before you can work on floor alone.

Other Interview Reviews for Yard House

Server Interview

Interview

they basically just ask you questions about your personality to see if you will be a great fit for the rest of the team. if you were to ask me all of those over and over again i would be sick and tired of hearing them for now. if they allow more of us to talk then we will be okay. now it is all up to them and you for ever

Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yard House.

Interview

Completed an online application. A manager contacted me to set up interview within a week or two. Came into restaurant for first interview. Second interview with AGM or GM for me actually was completed the same day as the first interview.

Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Yard House in November 2013.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted in about 2 days. Manager called to set up interview. Went in and interviewed with the assistant GM, then with the GM, they pretty much asked the garden variety "tell me about yourself" stuff.

Interview Questions

• They asked me what I knew about beer and I was clueless.   Answer Question

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Yard House.

Interview

I went in to the hiring center before the opening of the new store in Brea. The room was buzzing with anticipation and excitement, well dressed, good looking people from wall to wall. I was on a double at my other job and went between shifts. I explained that to the managers and they seemed excited about that and quickly asked me questions and moved me to the second interview and quickly went about with a formal offer.

Interview Questions

• Can you handle a 50 yard dash with your arms loaded with plates?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Straight up contracts, no negotiation for hourly positions

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Yard House (Houston, TX).

Interview

interview was very easy

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Yard House (Palm Beach Gardens, FL) in August 2012.

Interview

Managers accept all applications in person, which is a positive so that you aren't wondering if it was ever seen by management. They do a quick on the spot interview but before you are hired you must sit through 2 more interviews so that 3 managers approve of you before you are hired.

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Yard House (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2012.

Interview

Managers shuffled back and forth taking each others places while i was interview. (While judgemental, it seemed disorganized and destroyed any sense of conversational flow and continuity. Upon job offer, I requested the 10 days off for training intensive at my other job. On a side note, the manager i spoke to openly stated to me that they do not work around other jobs and that it should be expected to have a different schedule every week and will not be posted in advance (beyond the current week). I currently worked in horticulture at a local golf club and worked from 5am-between 11-2 (Almost entirely hours the restaurant would not be open). During the 10 day training we would only be expected to be there before 2pm, 1 day... i naturally asked to know which day that would be since that info was the difference between income for 10 days and 1 day. She said she couldnt tell me that and all information would be disemminated at its appropriate time during orientation. I show up at orientation, start my paperwork, only to find out that certified copies of birth certificates are not accepted (my original has been in a safe at my parents local bank since i was 17 and that has never caused a problem for me gaining employment in Tucson, Phoenix or Boulder CO. Additionally the Maricopa food server card machine was broken and i was given a temporary certificate of course completion and test passing. Despite calling the organization to confirm my story they declared it unacceptable! Then they tell me to get it right and start the 10 day orientation the following week. I apologize to my boss and beg for my shifts back, then request not only 10days off again for the following week but also a saturday so that i could meet my dad in a layover he luckily had at the Denver airport to hassle my birthcertificate "upstream" through customs/security. The 2nd orientation start date began at 4. My boss had tken me to a meeting with him in his car (it was a great networking opportunity for ne) He had promised we would be back in time for me to accomodate my plans. Well we weren't. Despite this I got into turbo mode, cleaned up, parked and had 1 minute to make the 20ft walk to the door (still not ideal in my mind, i had been at least 20 min early to all prior arrangements) I glanced in my car mirror and frantically realized my nose ring was still in and had been told no piercings so i fight it off my face as quickly as i can and run those 20ft. Walk in, manager says do you know what time it is. I said yes. She said you are 2 minutes late. Do you have an excuse? I humbly told her no, but that if she was interested i could tell her why i was late, and reitterated that it was not an excuse. She told me to wait. I waited. After waiting all managers sat me down, i was asked to explain. I was honest and upfront, explained i was doing my best to please everyone and obviously had come short of that. My other job was also very new, I was trying to make a good impression for them while requesting time of for interviewing, orientation, obtaining my original birth certificate as requested, unrequesting the time for orientation and re-requesting it. The work meeting my boss took me to ran late (my requested attendance was based on little more than altruism of supervisor who benevolently was trying to create more opportunities for me) . I explained that i had cushioned my time so I was still able to get ready in time, all culminating to arriving, noticing my face jewelry was still in, getting out of the car and in a panic made the decision to take the minute to come in looking exactly the way i should instead of right on time knowing the nose ring was not appropriate. It is clear that it did not matter what i said. I wasn't expecting it to. But if it had not been declared to me that b/c of all my ordeals with bringing the right documents the previous week and the minute of tardiness this week have made them decide its best to terminate the process with me... I would have had to say it because there was no way in hell i was going to unrequest and rerequest 10 days off again.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult was asked but on a funny note. I was asked my favorite beer and style. To which i responded Palate Wrecker, bitter, hoppy IPA; a mouthfeel on the lighter side is a bonus and skunky like greenflash wins me over. The MANAGER then proceeds to comment ooo you must like the "whatever mediocre pils that they had on draft at the time. I smiled and said not really. I don't know if that was suppose to be some kind of test, but it wasn't a good one. You either have to suggest that the manager's recommendation made no sense or pretend to like the suggested and create dissonance between your answers....   1 Answer
    • My overall Opinion on the experience   1 Answer

Server Interview

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Yard House (Long Beach, CA) in May 2008.

Interview

The interview process requires 3 interviews (but if you have made it to the 3rd interview you already have the position)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None