Year Up

9 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Student Interview

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Year Up in March 2014.

Interview Details – If you have High School diploma, between 18-24, you are in

Negotiation Details – Up to $900 monthly as a student

Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Year Up in January 2014.

Interview Details – Apply online and if qualified, you are called in for an interview.

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Year Up.

Interview Details – Applied online, was asked to complete a personality test prior to a 30 minute phone interview. Lots of behavioral questions during the phone interview. Test results have never been shared. Unfair? The recruiter followed up with the rejection letter, which is a professional thing to do than not to.

Interview Question – Prepare for behavioral type of questions and examples.   Answer Question

IT Instructor Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Year Up.

Interview Details – After applying online, received an email asking to schedule a phone screen. This call lasted about 30 minutes and then I was told I would hear back within 2 weeks. The next steps would be coming in and doing a "Test Teach" (teaching a lesson plan) in front of real students and other staff members, in addition to a group interview with staff. After about 3-4 weeks I received another email saying I was no longer in consideration for the position. Be prepared for a long interview process and a lot of waiting. The phone screen was not bad - no really difficult questions. Be prepared to talk about why you love technology, your teaching style, how you would handle difficult conversations with students, etc.

Interview Questions

• If you were to teach a student a programming language, who has had no prior experience with programming and who is easily frustrated, how would you do it?   Answer Question
  • Describe what makes an effective manager?   Answer Question

Business Communications Teaching Assistant Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Year Up in April 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online with a very detailed cover letter, and I was contacted later that week for a phone interview. Prior to the interview I had to complete a basic personality test. It was relatively easy, but my internet browser kept messing up. Use IE not Chrome!

The interview went very well I thought. She asked about my teaching experience (I was a tutor) and mentoring experience. I think that since I hadn't mentored before I was less desirable. She was very nice and understanding, however, and I thought the interview went well. I followed up, but I never got a reply. I was told that I would know within a week if I would be moving on or not. It's been almost a month, so I'm assuming that's a no. The interviewer was very friendly, and it seemed like a nice company.

Interview Question – All pretty basic questions for a position helping kids.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Year Up in September 2012.

Interview Details – Be prepared to spend several months interviewing for a position. The first interview, a phone screen, started 30 minutes late (when the interviewer finally called, she stated that the time of the interview was for the time she called, despite the fact that my email said otherwise). The second interview/test teach was scheduled for a date that didn't exist, and then it was finally scheduled for almost a month later and at that, I was left waiting for about 15 minutes because the room was not ready. After that, a third interview with several staff members and instructors was scheduled for yet another month later. At the end of that interview, I was informed of what the next steps were (while thinking, "really? MORE steps?!?!), but after all was said and done, I was told that they weren't moving forward with me as a candidate. I didn't feel like I was asked anything terribly difficult at the third interview, and a lot of the questions were the same as in the one-on-one interview, so I don't know why they had me in if their minds were apparently made up already. I really hope this isn't representative of how the entire organization is run. I ended up feeling like my time was wasted and that I was strung along for a ridiculous amount of time. I was often told to expect a phone call or an email on a specific date and time, but I was never contacted when promised (with the exception of being told I didn't get the job). The program itself seems to be a great model and the staffers I met were very nice and helpful. I know this sounds like I'm bitter, but these are complaints that I have had and made note of throughout the process, as it was very frustrating - so be prepared for a LONG process.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer asked some vague questions (one example: how do you feel about collaboration?), but she had very specific answers that she expected and seemed annoyed if they weren't answered with the level of specificity that she wanted.   Answer Question
  • Do you have a problem getting to work on time?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Events Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Year Up in November 2011.

Interview Details – I received an email stating I had been selected for a phone interview and to select a few times that worked best for me. On the day and time agreed on for the interview, I never received a call. I followed-up with an email and voicemail inquiring about the missed interview (making sure they didn't have trouble reaching me) and never received a response.

Interview Question – What time can you interview?   Answer Question

Member Interview

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Year Up in September 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring process is a very rigorous one. They make sure to do a thorough interview for idesal candidates for the program.

Interview Question – What are the qualities and traits that make you fit for this position?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Come prepared look confident and have all the necessary information that they'll be needing. The process is fine though it is a rigorous one.

Internship Coordinator Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Year Up in July 2010.

Interview Details – This interview was for a newly created Internship Coordinator position with Year Up. Prepared for the phone interview using standard and difficult questions and was expecting the conversation to last at least 30 minutes to an hour. However, the interviewer's phone line dropped the call in the middle of my answering questions three times. Yes, I was using a land line and she mentioned their office's tech people were working on the problem from their end. This made the process very awkward and offsetting.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Year Up? Contribute to the Community!

Year Up Videos

Year Up – Why Work for Us?

Our Vision In the future, every urban young adult will have access to the education, experiences, and guidance required to realize his or her true potential. Our Mission Year Up's mission is to close the Opportunity… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Year Up interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by Year Up employees and interview candidates.