Year Up

Updated Feb 24, 2015
Updated Feb 24, 2015

2.9

Admissions Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Year Up in February 2015.

3 month long process; 4 interviews with 9 people. 1 Phone interview, 3 in person, and one presentation. Very in depth interviews to ensure I was a good fit for the orginzation's culture.

Able to negotiate salary

Director of Admission Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Year Up.

The whole process took more than 3 months to complete, and included 1 telephone interview and 3 in-person interviews. Every single interview was blundered in some way-- either they gave me the wrong address or the person who was to interview me wasn't expecting me. I felt that-- as a currently employed person-- my time was not being respected. All of the interviewers were very kind, but also very frank about the heavy workloads and lack of work-life balance at the organization.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked many times about my management style, and I felt like they were expecting something more or different from my answer.   Answer Question

Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Year Up in March 2014.

If you have High School diploma, between 18-24, you are in

Up to $900 monthly as a student

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Year Up.

Applied online, was asked to complete a personality test prior to a 30 minute phone interview. Lots of behavioral questions during the phone interview. Test results have never been shared. Unfair? The recruiter followed up with the rejection letter, which is a professional thing to do than not to.

Interview Questions
    • Prepare for behavioral type of questions and examples.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Year Up in January 2014.

Apply online and if qualified, you are called in for an interview.

IT Instructor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Year Up.

After applying online, received an email asking to schedule a phone screen. This call lasted about 30 minutes and then I was told I would hear back within 2 weeks. The next steps would be coming in and doing a "Test Teach" (teaching a lesson plan) in front of real students and other staff members, in addition to a group interview with staff. After about 3-4 weeks I received another email saying I was no longer in consideration for the position. Be prepared for a long interview process and a lot of waiting. The phone screen was not bad - no really difficult questions. Be prepared to talk about why you love technology, your teaching style, how you would handle difficult conversations with students, etc.

Interview Questions
    • If you were to teach a student a programming language, who has had no prior experience with programming and who is easily frustrated, how would you do it?   Answer Question
    • Describe what makes an effective manager?   Answer Question

Business Communications Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Year Up in April 2013.

I applied online with a very detailed cover letter, and I was contacted later that week for a phone interview. Prior to the interview I had to complete a basic personality test. It was relatively easy, but my internet browser kept messing up. Use IE not Chrome!

The interview went very well I thought. She asked about my teaching experience (I was a tutor) and mentoring experience. I think that since I hadn't mentored before I was less desirable. She was very nice and understanding, however, and I thought the interview went well. I followed up, but I never got a reply. I was told that I would know within a week if I would be moving on or not. It's been almost a month, so I'm assuming that's a no. The interviewer was very friendly, and it seemed like a nice company.

Interview Questions
    • All pretty basic questions for a position helping kids.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Year Up in September 2012.

Be prepared to spend several months interviewing for a position. The first interview, a phone screen, started 30 minutes late (when the interviewer finally called, she stated that the time of the interview was for the time she called, despite the fact that my email said otherwise). The second interview/test teach was scheduled for a date that didn't exist, and then it was finally scheduled for almost a month later and at that, I was left waiting for about 15 minutes because the room was not ready. After that, a third interview with several staff members and instructors was scheduled for yet another month later. At the end of that interview, I was informed of what the next steps were (while thinking, "really? MORE steps?!?!), but after all was said and done, I was told that they weren't moving forward with me as a candidate. I didn't feel like I was asked anything terribly difficult at the third interview, and a lot of the questions were the same as in the one-on-one interview, so I don't know why they had me in if their minds were apparently made up already. I really hope this isn't representative of how the entire organization is run. I ended up feeling like my time was wasted and that I was strung along for a ridiculous amount of time. I was often told to expect a phone call or an email on a specific date and time, but I was never contacted when promised (with the exception of being told I didn't get the job). The program itself seems to be a great model and the staffers I met were very nice and helpful. I know this sounds like I'm bitter, but these are complaints that I have had and made note of throughout the process, as it was very frustrating - so be prepared for a LONG process.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer asked some vague questions (one example: how do you feel about collaboration?), but she had very specific answers that she expected and seemed annoyed if they weren't answered with the level of specificity that she wanted.   Answer Question
    • Do you have a problem getting to work on time?   View Answer

Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Year Up in March 2012.

There are 2-3 interviews. They ask you average behavioral questions similiar to the ones asked on a retail store interview. 80 out of 500 applicants gets accepted every class. Very competitive seats.

Interview Questions
    • Name a situation where you had to work out a problem with a group   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Events Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Year Up in November 2011.

I received an email stating I had been selected for a phone interview and to select a few times that worked best for me. On the day and time agreed on for the interview, I never received a call. I followed-up with an email and voicemail inquiring about the missed interview (making sure they didn't have trouble reaching me) and never received a response.