Yell Interview Questions

Updated Jan 8, 2015
Updated Jan 8, 2015

3.2

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yell.

Interview

Face to face interview with pre interview task being to prepare a presentation on what I could bring to the role. Interview was with two senior managers and was relaxed to an extent, not like a panel interview. Were keen to understand what i could bring to the role and how I would fit into the team.

Interview Questions

• Not that difficult with the usual questions about what I could bring to the role and how I could impact the KPI's.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Undergraduate Finance Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yell (Reading, England (UK)) in May 2014.

Interview

I applied for the role directly through Yell (formerly hibu). I was required to submit a cover letter as well as a CV as part of my application. There were three main stages to the hiring process: a phone interview, online test and then a panel interview.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question I was asked was to explain a time I had to resolve a conflict between two colleagues in a working environment. I found this particular question difficult as I have never found myself in a situation before and did not want to make up an answer that was not true.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiating to took place, my offer after the panel interview included information about pay and days entitled to holiday during employment.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yell (Reading, England (UK)) in November 2012.

Interview

Four interviews in total. Phone interview with HR first then hiring manager. If both of the phone interviews are fine, you will have to complete kinda IQ test, where speed means a lot, then face to face interview. If you pass that as well, you will receive an offer. Phone interviews are easy, IQ test is very simple but you have to be as fast as you can cause that is the only thing counts.

Interview Questions

• Logical games. Nothing to do with the job you apply, it is all about logic and problem solving.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yell (London, England (UK)) in May 2012.

Interview

Went through a single round of interviews. My first, straight out of school interview although they generally seek much more experienced and senior developers.
    Very relaxed atmosphere and made to feel comfortable.
    Questions were very practical and open ended, leaving room for lots of discussion.

Interview Questions

• What considerations would you take into account when designing a program that runs in Australia but is managed from the UK?   Answer Question

Yell Response

Nov 11, 2014Head of Recruitment

Thanks for your review, we make a real effort to ensure that candidates can come across as themselves and be in a position to gives their best in what can be a stressful situation for some. We want ... More

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yell (Peterborough, England (UK)) in February 2011.

Interview

2 stage process normally.
    1st is telephone interview with iq and psychology test.
    2nd is face to face showing presentation skills

Direct Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Yell in October 2010.

Interview

They sent you a link to a personality and intelligence test before you do the face to face interview. The interview was rather un-structured and the interviewee seemed nervous and in-experienced.

Wasn't that impressed with how their marketing function work and a restructure will help their marketing team runs better. At the end they end up putting the role on hold as they review the headcount in the company.

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Yell (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in July 2010.

Interview

Had to complete online at home iq and personality test, the full process was never properly explained before it commenced, hence I never realised they were looking for speed in the IQ test rather than accuracy and much to my disappointment without any human contact with this employer I was unsucessful in passing this element of the process due to my apparrent weaknesses as an effective sales person even though I had carried several other sales posts out very succesfully!!

Interview Questions

• No questions were asked only online assesment   1 Answer

Business Intelligence Interview

Application

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Yell (Reading, England (UK)) in November 2009.

Interview

The job was a lateral shift from my current one. So did not expect any surprises. The interview process though left a sour taste in my mouth. I applied on Monster for the job somewhere in Sep 2009. Was called after about two weeks and was asked to be ready for a telephone interview a week down the lane. A HR lady spoke to me. After talking about the role she asked me about my current role and had some questions about my "fit" into their role. All classic until we down the technical path. To be honest the comapny has their own in house app much like my company did and she being HR and non-technical had a question set fed by the hiring manager that somebody internally could have answered easily. So ended up a bit frustrating for the HR and myself. Either way I assumed goodbye to the job. Four months down the line. I got a call from the HR telling me that the job was open again and if I was interested in another round of interviewing. I accepted to which she said that I needed to do a personality, numeracy, language ability test. I was put off I really wanted to say no. Its a bit condescending to take any kind of test. A test like that is relevant to a fresh undergrad or foreigner with questionable qualifications. But not for a person who works for a blue chip and has seven years of experience doing that too at the same blue chip notorious for only hiring and keeping only the best. I did the test because and found it to be quite full of holes and one of those subjective kinds that you can ace one day and fail the next. I did fairly well although I struggled a bit on the numeracy side as it was towards the end and needed the most concentration. She called me back to thank me for taking the test and offering to call me back for an interview with the hiring manager. Never got the call back. I felt that I was asked to go through the process as they probably had a candidate in mind for the job and needed me just to justify that they can hire him/her over me in case of an HR audit. Overall I felt really undervalued in the hiring process. If I did go through I think working life would have been more of a work your arse off and then shown the door when you are burnt out.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any MDX experience?   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Yell in October 2009.

Interview

general cv conversation, then iq and personality test. then hour conversation about a customer i had spoke with in past, then 121 role play