Yelp Account Executive Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2015
Updated Apr 13, 2015

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

I put in an application and got an email back about 2 weeks later asking to set up a 10-15 minute phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. She asked some basic questions about my background and resume. Then we did a short role play. She was a business owner and I had to pretend I worked for Yelp and I was leaving a voicemail to someone I tried to reach two times already. She gave me feedback then I redid the scenario. Afterwards she asked me to come in for an onsite interview in their nyc office. I had three 20 minute interviews. All of them were different role play scenarios so definitely prep yourself for that and study ahead! If you don't you'll struggle because it's a lot of on the spot/think fast type situations.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you almost quit and ended up persevering.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

So after I applied on online, 15 mins later I got an email about a phone call interview. This was the first time a job posting has replied to me so fast, I felt very confident. After the phone interview went well, I was asked to come into the office for a onsite interview.

So I drove an hour an a half into SF and spent near $50 for food,gas and parking for this interview. It was roughly an hour long, 40 mins of actual time spent with question and the rest was just me waiting for these two managers to speak to me. They both worked role playing stuff with me and then it ended with them saying "you obviously meet the requirement for someone in this position, we're excited to even have someone like you interview" then he discussed benefits and salary. We talked about my future here at the company as he walked me out.

All of this and I get an AUTOMATED email 2 days later that said they decided to go with another applicant.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied directly to Yelp after receiving an email blast from career builder.com about the position. I received a phone interview offer two weeks later. The phone interview lasted 20 minutes. She asked basic questions about my resume and background, and we did one role play scenario (question listed below). I was invited to the next round on-site interview scheduled for two weeks out.

Interview Questions

• A business owner missed his appointment for the third time. Leave him a voicemail.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

It was a lot of role playing questions. You get interviewed with three managers at separate times. Questions are easy. It was a very quick process, in and out in less than 20 minutes.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

3 interviews with 3 different people. A lot of role paying questions. Know facts about the company. First you have a phone interview. If they like your personal skirt, you get a second interview at the yelp office.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY).

Interview

Received an email to get set up for a phone screening. The phone screening was about 20 minutes. Make sure you are familiar with the position and what Yelp does. The interviewer will ask you questions about what you know about the position and the company. She also asked me just some background info about myself about examples of when I've worked on teams and why sales and why Yelp. At the end there is a role play. You have to leave a voicemail for a pizza shop in Brooklyn that has missed your appointment three times. She told me at the end of the interview that I would be moving onto the next round and since I am out of state, it would be conducted over Skype. She gave me about 4 open times and I had to choose one.

The second interview is on Skype. At first, they require you to log onto Skype about 15 minutes before your interview. The recruiting coordinator will give you a call to test out the connection and just say hi and ask if you have any questions before the interview happens. She will give you a quick overview of what the interviews will be like. I met with 2 sales managers and each asked basic questions and then finished with a role play. Make sure you listen to their feedback because they will allow you to do it again and they are looking for you to make the changes they spoke to you about. They were both super cool and easy to talk to so don't be intimidated by them.

2 hours after my interview ended, the recruiter called me saying I had moved on to the next round which is a 20 minute webinar about the career paths and training and also a background check.

Interview Questions

• Describe a typical day as an account executive at Yelp.
      Tell me about a time when you competed for something and didn't get it.
      Role Plays scenarios:
      1. Leave a voicemail for a pizza shop in Brooklyn that has missed your appointment three times.
      2. Sell me Yelp. I am a car repair shop.
      3. You've already met with me and I own a hair salon. I am calling you to let you know that I really enjoyed your presentation, but I am going to advertise in the local newspaper instead. Convince me not to.

Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

I applied online and arranged a phone interview via email. When the woman called she spoke like an auctioneer and it was pretty clear she was reading from a script. No difficult questions and no follow up questions. I didn't feel she was really listening to me or trying to get to know me. Interview was very rushed and then it was over.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Sent to Yelp through university and previous recruitment because of my background in sales and marketing. I went through the phone interview fairly easy. Went to office in Scottsdale to do interview and did basic role play with rebuttals, but in that, the interviewers were very rude. While the role play and feed back implementation went well, both interviewers treated me disrespectfully, one made a rude comment about my accent, and one said that they had other great candidates to interview while I was still in front of her.

After doing further research, the company has shady practices and very high turnover. They generally will take entry level and people they can mold to what they want. In I employment I chose over Yelp,(I'm making higher base and commission), several current employees left Yelp for the bad attitudes, poor management, and fake coworkers. I would suggest that they focus on attracting and retain highly skilled employees, reshape their interviewing, and improve employee treatment beyond just food and small benefits.

Interview Questions

• Asked about experience, why yelp, what skills I had to bring to the table, difficult time I had and succeeded, processes I must follow, etc. Very basic experience and BAR statement questions that are quick and easy to answer.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in March 2015.

Interview

The first part was a quick 15 minute interview. They asked a few "normal" interview questions then did a quick role play. I was calling a pizza joint and needed to leave a voicemail for someone who was avoiding my phone calls. At the end of the interview they asked to set up a Skype interview (I live out of town).
    During the Skype interview I was interviewed by two different people. About 20 minutes for each interview. Both asked general interview questions then did a role play. The first had me calling a company and I needed to get ahold of the owner. Had to get past whoever answered the phone. Went through it once, got feedback, and went through it again. Implement their feedback! The second role play had me calling a company owner to send over the contract and he backs out. I had to figure out why and convince him why to advertise with Yelp. You definitely need to prepare ahead of time. Think of different scenarios or have family or a friend ask you to sell in different situations.
    I was contacted a few days after and asked to attend a webinar. They gave me multiple time options. It took 30-40 minutes. 2 days later I was called and given a job offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you almost failed but ended up prevailing   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Submitted an online application and received an invitation to interview with them over the phone. I interviewed with someone who had been with the company for a few years already and I was not impressed by her ability to "sell" the Yelp company to me. I really believe that job interviewing is a two-way street, and I was not at all excited or compelled about working for Yelp. Also, the base pay is ridiculously low (esp. for living in California). I would definitely encourage Yelp to improve its interviewing process and change the way they present themselves, especially if they want high-quality candidates. I decided not to pursue the next round of interviews.