Yelp Account Executive Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015
Updated Mar 24, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in February 2015.

I put in an application and got an email back about 2 weeks later asking to set up a 10-15 minute phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. She asked some basic questions about my background and resume. Then we did a short role play. She was a business owner and I had to pretend I worked for Yelp and I was leaving a voicemail to someone I tried to reach two times already. She gave me feedback then I redid the scenario. Afterwards she asked me to come in for an onsite interview in their nyc office. I had three 20 minute interviews. All of them were different role play scenarios so definitely prep yourself for that and study ahead! If you don't you'll struggle because it's a lot of on the spot/think fast type situations.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time where you almost quit and ended up persevering.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Yelp.

Received an email to get set up for a phone screening. The phone screening was about 20 minutes. Make sure you are familiar with the position and what Yelp does. The interviewer will ask you questions about what you know about the position and the company. She also asked me just some background info about myself about examples of when I've worked on teams and why sales and why Yelp. At the end there is a role play. You have to leave a voicemail for a pizza shop in Brooklyn that has missed your appointment three times. She told me at the end of the interview that I would be moving onto the next round and since I am out of state, it would be conducted over Skype. She gave me about 4 open times and I had to choose one.

The second interview is on Skype. At first, they require you to log onto Skype about 15 minutes before your interview. The recruiting coordinator will give you a call to test out the connection and just say hi and ask if you have any questions before the interview happens. She will give you a quick overview of what the interviews will be like. I met with 2 sales managers and each asked basic questions and then finished with a role play. Make sure you listen to their feedback because they will allow you to do it again and they are looking for you to make the changes they spoke to you about. They were both super cool and easy to talk to so don't be intimidated by them.

2 hours after my interview ended, the recruiter called me saying I had moved on to the next round which is a 20 minute webinar about the career paths and training and also a background check.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a typical day as an account executive at Yelp.
      Tell me about a time when you competed for something and didn't get it.
      Role Plays scenarios:
      1. Leave a voicemail for a pizza shop in Brooklyn that has missed your appointment three times.
      2. Sell me Yelp. I am a car repair shop.
      3. You've already met with me and I own a hair salon. I am calling you to let you know that I really enjoyed your presentation, but I am going to advertise in the local newspaper instead. Convince me not to.

Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

I applied online and arranged a phone interview via email. When the woman called she spoke like an auctioneer and it was pretty clear she was reading from a script. No difficult questions and no follow up questions. I didn't feel she was really listening to me or trying to get to know me. Interview was very rushed and then it was over.

Account Executive Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yelp.

Sent to Yelp through university and previous recruitment because of my background in sales and marketing. I went through the phone interview fairly easy. Went to office in Scottsdale to do interview and did basic role play with rebuttals, but in that, the interviewers were very rude. While the role play and feed back implementation went well, both interviewers treated me disrespectfully, one made a rude comment about my accent, and one said that they had other great candidates to interview while I was still in front of her.

After doing further research, the company has shady practices and very high turnover. They generally will take entry level and people they can mold to what they want. In I employment I chose over Yelp,(I'm making higher base and commission), several current employees left Yelp for the bad attitudes, poor management, and fake coworkers. I would suggest that they focus on attracting and retain highly skilled employees, reshape their interviewing, and improve employee treatment beyond just food and small benefits.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about experience, why yelp, what skills I had to bring to the table, difficult time I had and succeeded, processes I must follow, etc. Very basic experience and BAR statement questions that are quick and easy to answer.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Submitted an online application and received an invitation to interview with them over the phone. I interviewed with someone who had been with the company for a few years already and I was not impressed by her ability to "sell" the Yelp company to me. I really believe that job interviewing is a two-way street, and I was not at all excited or compelled about working for Yelp. Also, the base pay is ridiculously low (esp. for living in California). I would definitely encourage Yelp to improve its interviewing process and change the way they present themselves, especially if they want high-quality candidates. I decided not to pursue the next round of interviews.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in March 2015.

The reviews on Glassdoor really helped me prepare for the interview, so I want to pay it forward with details on my experience. I was rejected, but the interview experience was positive so I was a little surprised. I applied online with a resume and cover letter; the next step was a phone screen (took only ten to fifteen minutes). Interviewer asked me why I was applying to Yelp; why inside sales; a time where I didn't succeed but was competitive and succeeded in the end; and if I had any questions. She did not do the role play (decided to let me proceed to the next round without it) and we scheduled an in-person interview at the end of the phone call. In the second-round interview, I met briefly with a recruiter who gave me a tour of the offices and then I met with a sales manager and another recruiter, one after the other. The entire process was an hour, and we did two role plays (schedule an appointment with the business owner; the second, convince the business owner to pursue advertising with Yelp). Both actually asked the same questions before the role plays - why Yelp? Why inside sales? How do you handle rejection? What is a time you succeeded when you failed before, were competitive with yourself? What skills do you think are important for an Account Executive?

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself. Why Yelp? Why inside sales? How do you handle rejection? What is a time you succeeded when you failed before, were competitive with yourself? What skills do you think are important for an Account Executive? And then role plays (implement feedback that they give you; they ask you to repeat the role play - also remember the feedback from the first interviewer because the second interviewer will ask you to repeat it).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in March 2015.

First there was a phone interview with a recruiting manager. It was mainly a phone screen that contained many of the usual interview questions. Then I was asked to move on in the process with a Skype interview since I am unable to come into the New York office for an in person interview. The interview lasted around 45 minutes and I talked to 2 separate people. They wanted to know more about my background, why I was interested in Yelp, what I wanted out of a career with them and what experience I have had with sales. They also wanted to see personality over formality and the conversations flowed and were not one sided. They want to see how well you do in high stress sales environments and if you able to do well with critiques and situations in which you are not ideally performing your best in the work place. They did a couple of role play situations where you were calling a business. Very great interviewing process overall and really great organizational company to work with.

Interview Questions
    • If you weren't meeting your sales goals how would you try to improve and do better?   Answer Question
    • how do you handle high stress situations?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Yelp in March 2015.

So when I first applied at Yelp I received an email regarding the Account executive role for me to schedule a 10 to 20 min interview. When I was called it was a veryry laid back attitude good and we'll educated phone conference which was great and seemed very good to me the second I spoke to the person. The person on the phone told me they have been employed a little over two years and that she loves what she does and so on.

The biggest problem occurred though when I told her that I am currently employed. They asked me how much I make and I was honest about it, regrettably I wasn't going to be seeing this working for yelp but explained my reasons for leaving and why I feel I am a best fit for this role and this company. I answered every question in full detail and did the role play and everything she loved it and felt I should move forward to come in but she had to submit my profile to the hiring manager, I recevied an email three days later saying they decided to not continue further. My overall experience though I feel the company decided to take an onward mobility towards another candidate due to what I am currently making at the moment and pre judged me saying I won't be making what I am making now. For everyone my suggestion is stay calm listen to every question don't use many verbal fillers and answer every question in detail tell them something they don't know about you and your work experience, recruiters love this and also if your making more money, make it to the point that you are making the same and that you want to one up your sales skills by joining a different company with a strong sales side I guess that was my mistake.

Interview Questions
    • Out of all the great companies in which you have interned for and also where you are currently working why do you see yourself as a fit for our company?   View Answer

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in March 2015.

The first part was a quick 15 minute interview. They asked a few "normal" interview questions then did a quick role play. I was calling a pizza joint and needed to leave a voicemail for someone who was avoiding my phone calls. At the end of the interview they asked to set up a Skype interview (I live out of town).
    During the Skype interview I was interviewed by two different people. About 20 minutes for each interview. Both asked general interview questions then did a role play. The first had me calling a company and I needed to get ahold of the owner. Had to get past whoever answered the phone. Went through it once, got feedback, and went through it again. Implement their feedback! The second role play had me calling a company owner to send over the contract and he backs out. I had to figure out why and convince him why to advertise with Yelp. You definitely need to prepare ahead of time. Think of different scenarios or have family or a friend ask you to sell in different situations.
    I was contacted a few days after and asked to attend a webinar. They gave me multiple time options. It took 30-40 minutes. 2 days later I was called and given a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you almost failed but ended up prevailing   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp in March 2015.

I was notified of conducting a phone interview via e-mail a few days after I had applied. The phone interview was fairly easy and I liked the person who interviewing me. I had a role play where I was leaving a voicemail for a business about setting up an appointment to go over the services offered by Yelp. The recruiter gave me suggestion on what I should work on and I was able to implement her feedback into my role playing scenario. I was then accepted to come into the Chicago office for an in-person interview. I was excited about this opportunity until I reached the Chicago office.

This was probably one of my worst interviewing experiences I've had in the past two years. I had two 30 minute interviews with "Hiring Managers" who weren't even from Chicago, they were transplants who knew nothing about the Midwest. The first hiring manager was very rude and I could feel the lack of energy in the room as she focused on my education and hardly listened to anything I said. The second interviewer was 15 minutes late and didn't even apologize for being late. It was very apparent to me that they didn't want to hire me and used my previous job experience at a call center as one of the reasons why they were hesitant to hire me. I knew I wouldn't get the job when the person who interviewed me couldn't even shake my hand with a firm grip. They already made their minds up that they were going to hire the other candidate from St. Louis.