Yelp Account Executive Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 22, 2014
242 interviews

242 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp in May 2013.

My friend who worked there sent me a link applied online got a phone interview shortly after. They called a little late which I thought was a tad unprofessional but didn't concern me much

Interview Questions
  • What will you bring to the position?

What other positions are you applying for?
      View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Account Executive Interview

Applied on Yelp. Filled out a survey and within 2 days was called to schedule an initial phone interview. First interview went smooth, just wanted to make sure I was interested in Yelp and explained in full disclosure what the position was and salary (no negotiation, but good commission structure). Went into the SF office for in-person interview and met with 3 different people. Make sure to know your stuff about Yelp, but more specifically be prepared to tackle three different situations as explained here.

Interview Questions
    • Try to convince a business owner to schedule a time with you to talk about what Yelp can offer   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp in August 2014.

Was referred by a friend, so I was contacted within a few days, and they set up a phone interview for a day after. The phone interview is more of a make sure you're not completely incompetent and can hold a basic conversation over the phone than anything strenuous. Afterwards they set up an in person interview at Yelp in SF 3 days after the phone interview. They put you in a room and 3 different people come in and ask you questions and role play with you. They told me they'd get back to me within 2-3 business days. Hasn't been that long yet so no clue if i got accepted or not. Overall a positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • Had to role play and get past the "gatekeeper" to speak with the business owner and set up a phone meeting for 7:30 pm.   View Answer

Account Executive Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Yelp.

I got skype interview, and you have to role play. There were three managers, and asked you to role play. It's not difficult but preparing yourself. They are pretty nice and after you role play, and they will give you feedback. You can learn a lot and skills from their feedback.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in July 2014.

Initial phone call is easy, they want a feel for who you are. After that you have an hour long skype interview where you meet with 4 account managers, they do role play and ask a lot of behavioral questions. Make sure you ask a lot of questions during the role play, and take their feedback and use it.

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

As other interviewers have said, you are interviewed by 3 sales managers. The first impression I had of the place was that it was extraordinarily casual. They were "running late" the day I was there and they rushed us into our respective interview rooms. The first person to interview me asked me why sales, why yelp, and where else I had interviewed/applied. I think this was my major downfall, it threw me off and I honestly wasn't sure how to answer it. We did a role play where I was trying to get a meeting with a business owner. They told me I was too passive and needed to he assertive. That's fine, I knew I could get that down. Next person asked me the exact same questions, but she seemed very uninterested in me. She was looking out the window and at the door the entire time and didn't even seem to be listening to me. Then, she left. No role play. This completely threw me off for the remainder of the interview. The last person came in and asked me the same questions, then did a role play where I had to sell him something. I was very thoroughly explaining the benefits of the product and thought I did quite well. After the interview I sent a thank you to the people who interviewed me. I received an email 3 days later saying they were going with other candidates, which in the end was a good thing for me because I don't think it was a good fit. The job is basically a telemarketing position and you're just expected to make the company money. Pay is not good for a college grad. If you love sales and working for commission, this is for you. Additionally, if you want a laid back college-like environment, this is a great place for you.

Anonymous Employee  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Yelp in July 2014.

I applied to Yelp for the New Grad AE position in AZ at like 9 AM one day. By the afternoon, I already got a reply asking to set up an initial phone call. The initial call was just a little bit about me, my current location, and why Yelp. I was then asked to set up a Skype call later that week. The Skype video conference took about 50 min (each of the two role plays took 20 min with a 2 or 3-min break in between them). I thought they went well, but I got a rejection email a few days later. Oh well.

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Yelp in July 2014.

15 minute phone call where I explained my understanding of the role (a day in the life of an account executive), talked about a time that I'd competed and won and a time I'd competed and lost.
    A few days later I had an hour long skype session where I spoke with three different employees, did some sales role play and answered some behavioral questions.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in August 2013.

First, they call you on the phone and it's very casual. They just make sure you sound good enough. Then they schedule a Skype or in person interview where you meet with 3 people from Sales upper management. All 3 of the guys who interviewed me had different styles, and we all did a lot of role play.

Interview Questions
    • The first guy acted as a pretty difficult gatekeeper. He also mentioned that a lot of people we call don't know what Yelp is which I found interesting.   Answer Question

Took an offer elsewhere.

Account Executive Interview

The first interview is a phone screening, be prepared to talk about the advertising product, and to speak about what interests you in the job. The person who is interviewing you is looking to see how well you know their product and how well you can communicate over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you have failed and how did you recover from it?   Answer Question

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!