Yelp Account Executive Interview Questions

Updated Jul 6, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral with the process taking 2 weeks. HR called to set-up a 20 minute phone screen with a Sales Manager.

Phone screen ADVICE:
- Have a set answer as with WHY you want to work for Yelp (culture, growth opps, personality is Yelp, make sure you say that you are an avid Yelp user!)
- Have a set answer as to WHY you want to work in sales (challenging, rewarding, commission, etc.)
- What skills do you have that will make you successful in sales? (coachable, competitive, etc.)
- What motivates you, especially in sales/when you are struggling? (commission, fully stocked kitchen, happy hours, the culture, the co-workers.)
- Research Yelp. What awards has Yelp received, etc.
- Ask questions.

In-person ADVICE:
You will have 2-3 in-person interviews at the Yelp office. Basically, all the same questions will be asked above during these interviews. You will then have role play.
- During role play, don't stress, make it a conversation.
- Implement their feedback, and you will do role play again. They are looking to see if you are coachable.
- Dress to impress.
- Write down their email, send a thank-you note.

Webinar
If you make it pass the in-person interviews, you will be asked to attend a webinar. An HR recruiter will go thru the training program, and your career path with Yelp. Good news!

Interview Questions

• I am a pizza parlor in Brooklyn. I have never heard of Yelp. Schedule an appointment.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Sent in my resume, and recruiter emailed me within a day or two to set up a phone interview. Phone interview will last about 15 mins. Questions like:
    Your background history, why Yelp.
    After the phone interview I was invited for an office interview where you will interview with 2 people.
    Each interview will last 20 mins. You will interview with 2 Account Managers. You will be given a tour of the office space. It is a call center. Keep this in mind. They will be upfront and tell you that you will be making 80 to 100 calls a day. Being on the phone for 2 to 3 hours a day total time.

The interview is simple, just talk about your background, and how your previous/current position will benefit you with yelp. They will then give you the role play questions that everyone seems to be posting.
    1. The pizza owner scenario (trying to talk to the owner)
    2. The business owner scenario that decided to advertise in the local newspaper(trying to understand why, and also set up a meeting)

After the interview, you will have time to ask them a couple of questions.

Before you waste their time and yours, ask yourself, Do I want to be on the phone all day? Don't get me wrong, the perks are nice, and can really be a good resume builder. But if you're not up for being on the phones all day, then this may not be the position for you.

Interview Questions

• What was one failure that you had, and what did you do about it?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Interview

I applied online and the process took roughly about 2 weeks. First they email you and let you know if your application was approved and then they schedule a phone interview. I was expecting so much more for the phone interview since most reviews here kinda made it sound intense. I definitely over prepared but it's always better to be safe than sorry. Then I moved onto the in person interview. Beautiful building, but essentially it's a call center. Making 80+ calls a day basically selling ad packages. If you're into that then this position is for you. When they gave us a tour the employees looked slightly worn out. Asked if it was possible to eventually work in other positions within Yelp, and was told it wasn't really possible. Whatever you do it's basically sales related.

Interview Questions

• Why sales?
      Why Yelp?
      Describe a time you had to compete.
      What's a challenge you might face in this position and how might you make that a positive?
      Sell Yelp.

Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp in June 2015.

Interview

You'll get an email first saying that they want to do a phone interview with you. Phone interview will last between 15-20 minutes and they'll go over basic questions with you:

Why do you want to work at Yelp?
    Why do you want to work in sales?
    Describe a typical day in this position
    Talk about a time you competed and won
    Talk about a time you competed and lost
    Talk about a time you almost failed but kept persevering/ almost quit and went back to it

You'll the be asked to do a small role play in the phone interview, they're not looking for perfect answers, they're looking to see if you're able to implement the feedback they give you after you finish your role play. So, you'll be given a role play:

Leave a voicemail for someone who's missed your last three calls/appointments

Your interviewer will give you feedback and you'll be asked to do it again.

They will tell you at the end of the phone interview if you advance to the next round. The next round is a Skype/in person interview depnding on if you're local to the office you're applying to or not. You'll interview two hiring managers and the interviews will be very similar to your first phone interview. For me, they were more or less all the same questions or rather similar questions. You'll also be asked to do role play scenarios with each hiring manager, and againt hey're not lookking to see how perfect you are at the scenarios but rather how well you implement they give you, so keep their tid bits in mind (I wrote down notes because that helped me), and your second interviewer will ask you what feedback you got from your first.

Make sure you prepare for your interviews and you'll do great!

After your Skype interview you'll be called and told if you've made it to the Webinar phase and if they're going to do a background check. Most people who make it this far get the job offer. Fingers crossed that I'l be talking start dates soon!!!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Yelp?
      Why do you want to work in sales?
      Describe a typical day in this position
      Talk about a time you competed and won
      Talk about a time you competed and lost
      Leave a voicemail for someone who's missed your last three calls/appointments
      Sell Yelp
      I'm a pizza parlor that has enjoyed your presentation but ultimately I've decided to stick with newspaper advertising. Convince me not to.
      I'm a pizza parlor that only advertises in the newspaper, sell me Yelp

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Brief. Took a total of 10 minutes. The interviewer was kind, but seemed ill-experienced.
    She started by asking all the expected questions: "Tell me a little about yourself..."; "tell me about a time when you failed/succeeded expectations/accomplished something with a team/ect."
    I asked a few questions about the culture of the company, challenges current Account Executives face, and what a real work day is like at yelp. The answers were simple. It seemed like she didn't know how to answer some of those questions.

Interview Questions

• How comfortable are you with high-volume cold calling?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Applied to an online post and received a phone screen. First one was really brief and simple, just a basic introduce yourself, why you want to do sales. The second one was longer and more in-depth, they email you in advance with the salary (it is very low, fyi) and a couple of PR videos about Yelp.

The second phone screen was fairly rough. Like other reviewers have said, they really press you about your love for Yelp, why you love their company culture, your past experience in sales, etc. The interviewer was not terribly interested in my own experiences/skills/resume, even though my grades and experiences are very solid. It felt more like a cross-examination or interrogation than a 2-way conversation. To be fair, a cold-call sales job was not my first choice, but the interviewer started to get hostile in grilling me about why I hadn't watched the PR videos, why was it that I really wanted to work for Yelp, why direct sales, etc.

It seemed far less about ability to do the job and far more about how much you absolutely love Yelp and it's your dream to work for them. I get the sense this is done because the job (cold-call sales) is incredibly menial and and pay is very low.

If you really, really love Yelp and you're an extroverted salesperson personality, the interview will probably be no problem for you. However, for anyone less than that you will probably be rejected, which I was a few days later.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Really unprofessional. I applied online and then the next day I was emailed about a phone interview which we both scheduled for a few days later. The scheduled time came and went. After an hour I emailed the recruiter and she said, "Sorry you weren't called today, I'll note to call you next Tuesday...." Then she sent me an appointment for the following Friday.... I emailed her back and she didn't respond??

Sorry, my employment isn't a joke to me. And I actually had other interviews that I pushed back for this one, so I'm annoyed. I wonder if they're this flippant and disorganized with their hired staff. Geeze.

Interview Questions

• Which time would you like to interview with us? (ultimately didn't matter any way)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

I put in an application and got an email back about 2 weeks later asking to set up a 10-15 minute phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. She asked some basic questions about my background and resume. Then we did a short role play. She was a business owner and I had to pretend I worked for Yelp and I was leaving a voicemail to someone I tried to reach two times already. She gave me feedback then I redid the scenario. Afterwards she asked me to come in for an onsite interview in their nyc office. I had three 20 minute interviews. All of them were different role play scenarios so definitely prep yourself for that and study ahead! If you don't you'll struggle because it's a lot of on the spot/think fast type situations.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you almost quit and ended up persevering.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Had a 20 minute phone interview. It was very straightforward. They ask behavioral questions and why you would want to do sales. She was very friendly and outgoing. They want to see that you are also that way. The biggest thing to do is be confident in what you are selling and be persistent. Have fun with what you are saying and understand why you want to be there to do this job.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Went through three steps. Includes phone screenings and skype call. During the skype call you will talk to two hiring managers. The first was very uninterested in what I had to say. The other was very receptive and nice. Makes sure to know your facts. There will be role plays and it is key you apply your critiques to your follow up role plays.