Yelp Account Executive Interview Questions

Updated Jul 30, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral with the process taking 2 weeks. HR called to set-up a 20 minute phone screen with a Sales Manager. Phone screen ADVICE: - Have a set answer as with WHY you want to work for Yelp (culture, growth opps, personality is Yelp, make sure you say that you are an avid Yelp user!) - Have a set answer as to WHY you want to work in sales (challenging, rewarding, commission, etc.) - What skills do you have that will make you successful in sales? (coachable, competitive, etc.) - What motivates you, especially in sales/when you are struggling? (commission, fully stocked kitchen, happy hours, the culture, the co-workers.) - Research Yelp. What awards has Yelp received, etc. - Ask questions. In-person ADVICE: You will have 2-3 in-person interviews at the Yelp office. Basically, all the same questions will be asked above during these interviews. You will then have role play. - During role play, don't stress, make it a conversation. - Implement their feedback, and you will do role play again. They are looking to see if you are coachable. - Dress to impress. - Write down their email, send a thank-you note. Webinar If you make it pass the in-person interviews, you will be asked to attend a webinar. An HR recruiter will go thru the training program, and your career path with Yelp. Good news!

Interview Questions

• I am a pizza parlor in Brooklyn. I have never heard of Yelp. Schedule an appointment.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Received a phone call to set up a phone screen a few days later. Seemed promising at first and lady who interviewed me had a happy attitude but everything that she said about the job was negative. It was like she was trying to talk me out of the job the entire time. Didn't pass on to the in person interviews but it'd be nice to talk to someone who doesn't seem like they hate their job.

Interview Questions

• They line it up in an email. You are asked about the company, the product you need to sell, and what brought you to yelp. They are huge on cold calling and everything mentioned to me was basically how the job sucks so if you can convince them you love being rejected all the time, you are set. The job is, from what i was told, dealing with people who want nothing to do with you so if you can get past the phone screen you most likely have a good chance.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Yelp (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

I applied online to the Phoenix office and had a phone interview with an HR person and then was invited to do a Skype interview (I was not located in the area) with 2 managers which focused on role plays

Interview Questions

• What do you think will be the biggest challenge in this position?   Answer Question
    • Role Plays: sell us YELP advertising; introduce yourself; get yourself to the owner   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Short 15 minute phone call, followed by a longer skype or in-person interview, followed by a webinar and a follow-up phone call from a hiring manager. Lots of role play in the second interview. Very helpful coaching from the hiring managers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about something you enjoy that's really challenging.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

First, you must pass a simple phone interview. Next, they will schedule either an in-person or a Skype interview that will be more challenging and will involve some role play to test your ability to sell and to see how you sound on the phone.

Interview Questions

• Convince the owner of a pizza place to advertise with yelp.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Sent in my resume, and recruiter emailed me within a day or two to set up a phone interview. Phone interview will last about 15 mins. Questions like: Your background history, why Yelp. After the phone interview I was invited for an office interview where you will interview with 2 people. Each interview will last 20 mins. You will interview with 2 Account Managers. You will be given a tour of the office space. It is a call center. Keep this in mind. They will be upfront and tell you that you will be making 80 to 100 calls a day. Being on the phone for 2 to 3 hours a day total time. The interview is simple, just talk about your background, and how your previous/current position will benefit you with yelp. They will then give you the role play questions that everyone seems to be posting. 1. The pizza owner scenario (trying to talk to the owner) 2. The business owner scenario that decided to advertise in the local newspaper(trying to understand why, and also set up a meeting) After the interview, you will have time to ask them a couple of questions. Before you waste their time and yours, ask yourself, Do I want to be on the phone all day? Don't get me wrong, the perks are nice, and can really be a good resume builder. But if you're not up for being on the phones all day, then this may not be the position for you.

Interview Questions

• What was one failure that you had, and what did you do about it?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Interview

I applied online and the process took roughly about 2 weeks. First they email you and let you know if your application was approved and then they schedule a phone interview. I was expecting so much more for the phone interview since most reviews here kinda made it sound intense. I definitely over prepared but it's always better to be safe than sorry. Then I moved onto the in person interview. Beautiful building, but essentially it's a call center. Making 80+ calls a day basically selling ad packages. If you're into that then this position is for you. When they gave us a tour the employees looked slightly worn out. Asked if it was possible to eventually work in other positions within Yelp, and was told it wasn't really possible. Whatever you do it's basically sales related.

Interview Questions

• Why sales? Why Yelp? Describe a time you had to compete. What's a challenge you might face in this position and how might you make that a positive? Sell Yelp.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Walnut, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Yelp (Walnut, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Sent "funny, & cool" cover letter that was informative and accepted. The phone interview was done by someone who was either inexperienced or just not good at it. She was ready to get off the phone before she mentioned what to do next. Answering my questions seemed to be tough for her.A day later I received my rejection letter.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Really unprofessional. I applied online and then the next day I was emailed about a phone interview which we both scheduled for a few days later. The scheduled time came and went. After an hour I emailed the recruiter and she said, "Sorry you weren't called today, I'll note to call you next Tuesday...." Then she sent me an appointment for the following Friday.... I emailed her back and she didn't respond?? Sorry, my employment isn't a joke to me. And I actually had other interviews that I pushed back for this one, so I'm annoyed. I wonder if they're this flippant and disorganized with their hired staff. Geeze.

Interview Questions

• Which time would you like to interview with us? (ultimately didn't matter any way)   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp in June 2015.

Interview

You'll get an email first saying that they want to do a phone interview with you. Phone interview will last between 15-20 minutes and they'll go over basic questions with you: Why do you want to work at Yelp? Why do you want to work in sales? Describe a typical day in this position Talk about a time you competed and won Talk about a time you competed and lost Talk about a time you almost failed but kept persevering/ almost quit and went back to it You'll the be asked to do a small role play in the phone interview, they're not looking for perfect answers, they're looking to see if you're able to implement the feedback they give you after you finish your role play. So, you'll be given a role play: Leave a voicemail for someone who's missed your last three calls/appointments Your interviewer will give you feedback and you'll be asked to do it again. They will tell you at the end of the phone interview if you advance to the next round. The next round is a Skype/in person interview depnding on if you're local to the office you're applying to or not. You'll interview two hiring managers and the interviews will be very similar to your first phone interview. For me, they were more or less all the same questions or rather similar questions. You'll also be asked to do role play scenarios with each hiring manager, and againt hey're not lookking to see how perfect you are at the scenarios but rather how well you implement they give you, so keep their tid bits in mind (I wrote down notes because that helped me), and your second interviewer will ask you what feedback you got from your first. Make sure you prepare for your interviews and you'll do great! After your Skype interview you'll be called and told if you've made it to the Webinar phase and if they're going to do a background check. Most people who make it this far get the job offer. Fingers crossed that I'l be talking start dates soon!!!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Yelp? Why do you want to work in sales? Describe a typical day in this position Talk about a time you competed and won Talk about a time you competed and lost Talk about a time you almost failed but kept persevering/ almost quit and went back to it Leave a voicemail for someone who's missed your last three calls/appointments Sell Yelp I'm a pizza parlor that has enjoyed your presentation but ultimately I've decided to stick with newspaper advertising. Convince me not to. I'm a pizza parlor that only advertises in the newspaper, sell me Yelp   Answer Question