Yelp

Average Difficulty
49 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – As other interviewers have said, you are interviewed by 3 sales managers. The first impression I had of the place was that it was extraordinarily casual. They were "running late" the day I was there and they rushed us into our respective interview rooms. The first person to interview me asked me why sales, why yelp, and where else I had interviewed/applied. I think this was my major downfall, it threw me off and I honestly wasn't sure how to answer it. We did a role play where I was trying to get a meeting with a business owner. They told me I was too passive and needed to he assertive. That's fine, I knew I could get that down. Next person asked me the exact same questions, but she seemed very uninterested in me. She was looking out the window and at the door the entire time and didn't even seem to be listening to me. Then, she left. No role play. This completely threw me off for the remainder of the interview. The last person came in and asked me the same questions, then did a role play where I had to sell him something. I was very thoroughly explaining the benefits of the product and thought I did quite well. After the interview I sent a thank you to the people who interviewed me. I received an email 3 days later saying they were going with other candidates, which in the end was a good thing for me because I don't think it was a good fit. The job is basically a telemarketing position and you're just expected to make the company money. Pay is not good for a college grad. If you love sales and working for commission, this is for you. Additionally, if you want a laid back college-like environment, this is a great place for you.

Interview Questions

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Yelp in July 2014.

Interview Details – 15 minute phone call where I explained my understanding of the role (a day in the life of an account executive), talked about a time that I'd competed and won and a time I'd competed and lost.
A few days later I had an hour long skype session where I spoke with three different employees, did some sales role play and answered some behavioral questions.

Interview Question – convince a client to sign the dotted line   Answer Question

New York, NY

I interviewed at Yelp in June 2014.

Interview Details – Process took a month. Applied online through job website. First phone call basic questions. 3 role plays scenario. Very organized structure seemed uninterested because they use the same organization for all clients.

Interview Question – If you are under quota with amount of calls what would you do?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Yelp in May 2013.

Interview Details – I began the process by applying online. Shortly after, I received an email to set up a phone interview. The phone call lasted 10-15 minutes, with a few basic questions for me, but was mainly information on the position and company. That went well, so the next step was a Skype interview (I was out of state at the time), which consisted of three different interviews with three different people. A few days later, I received a job offer.

Interview Question – I had to simulate a cold-call scenario with one of their account executives.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I received a more fitting job elsewhere.

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Yelp in April 2014.

Interview Details – The first phone interview is swift. You'll be asked: what do you know about us and the product we're offering; what do you know about what this position entails; why sales; why sales at Yelp. Any comment I made about myself, she called me on- wanted me to prove it. Then finally she explains the position and perks, which are exactly as they're listed on the job posting and then tells you if you're moving forward or not.

Interview Question – You said you have good interpersonal skills- prove it; tell me about a situation in which you employed them successfully.   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through LinkedIn and within a couple days was contacted via email that they wanted to conduct a phone interview. The phone interview was a very basic series of questions about my background, "why sales", "why Yelp" and things of that nature. I got through that interview and the next step was an on-site interview. The office is loud, with music playing, and a lot of young employees working the phones. I was taken into a conference room by an HR person who gave me a lowdown of what was to ensue. There was 3 rounds of interviewers and role playing. I felt like I was at a Pokemon gym, getting through each round and finally to the gym leader. The first round was a really nice guy who asked me some basic questions and then a role play. The role play was basically me calling a business and getting an appointment with them. He said I did well and got the appointment (role play appointment, not a real one). His only criticism was to be a bit more assertive. Round 2, I was greeted by a woman, and asked similar questions. The role play was to close a deal with a business selling them an ad package. I didn't think I did as well as she made it out to be and felt a bit flustered at one point, but she said I did great so I'm not complaining. The final boss I had to face was, as expected, the most difficult. She wasn't as nice and smiley as the first two, but she was by no means unpleasant. I guess she just didn't seem as enthusiastic or impressed, but this could simply be her demeanor. We got into the role play rather quickly, and I had to try to sell her "a product I was passionate about". CHOOSE SOMETHING YOU KNOW INSIDE AND OUT. I must stress this. Whoever the interviewer will be I can guarantee will be very resistant. I chose my juicer. Her feedback was that I knew the product well, but need to show a little more passion about it. To conclude the interview she asked me why they should consider hiring me, what makes me stand out, etc... You know the deal with these ubiquitous, generic interview questions. All in all, the interview wasn't too difficult, but not a breeze. Be prepared for the role plays, be yourself, and don't panic. Most of the employees there, including the interviewers, had no sales experience initially, so don't worry if you make some minor mistakes and get a little criticism like I did. I was told I'd be emailed in 3-5 business days. I received it in one and was told by a senior recruiter that she wanted to set up a half hour phone call to talk more about the position, if I'm interviewing with other companies, and what the next steps would be. This means they are interested in hiring you. This isn't another interview, it's really just to see how interested you are in the position and to decide if you'd like to accept their offer and commence with the training program. Good luck!

Interview Question – What is a quality that your family or friends say you have that you think is off mark?   View Answers (2)

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – Got a phone interview after I applied through linked in through a friend referral. First interview was a phone interview which was only 15 minutes asking you basic questions. Made it to the next round in person in NYC. Thought it went well.

Interview Question – Role play I found somewhat difficult.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in March 2014.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview, in person role plays, follow up call

Interview Question – What is something your friends and family say about you that is off mark?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in December 2013.

Interview Details – A little long but its very in-depth and I hope it helps someone getting a job with them

2 total interviews.

PHONE INTERVIEW:

Guy was supposed to call me between 10-10:15am but ended up calling around 10:45.
He was apologetic so it was okay.
Asked questions like Why Yelp, Why should we hire you and some other standard questions. Not too difficult.
MAKE SURE YOU READ THE EMAIL THEY SEND YOU!! They will ask what you know about Yelp. Just follow the email and you'll be fine.
The Interviewer said "Wow, you killed it!!"
Their 15 min interview only lasted 8 minutes with me. I felt great
Once I passed that(you'll know immediately), they scheduled me an in-person interview.

They also sent me link to complete a background check. Kind of odd since all my previous employers submitted one after all my interviews. I could be wrong though.

IN PERSON INTERVIEW(TAKE A NOTEBOOK WITH YOU):

My interview was scheduled two days after my phone interview.
Once I arrived, the place seemed like a zoo(loud music, felt like a dorm, lots of young guns on the phones hustling), but I liked the atmosphere.
Had an interview with THREE sales managers separately

First Manager was a young lady who asked me some questions that the person from the phone interview did(Why Yelp, tell me something about yourself, etc.....) After that, we did some role playing.
"Pretend im a business owner and try to sell me Yelp... Ring Ring.."
She said I did well and gave me some pointers for minor improvement. MAKE SURE YOU WRITE DOWN WHAT THEY SAY!!
We did it one more time and she said "Very Good".

Second Manager was a nice kid and asked WHAT DID THE PREVIOUS MANAGER SAY(WRITE DOWN THEIR FEEDBACK)? He then asked "Try to convince me on getting Yelp instead Google"
I did most of the talking and he said, "Wow, Outstanding".
Once he said that, he went over benefits, pay, career advancement, etc...
He then asked me if I really wanted to work here because I was very qualified and this is indeed an entry level sales Job. I said "absolutely"
I pretty much said to myself that I got the job.

Third interviewer was a young women who asked me to sell her anything I wanted.
You can choose whatever you want. BE SMART ABOUT THIS! Don't sell something like a Kindle or an Android phone because she'll be like, "well, I won't give up my iPhone or iPad". Choose something that doesn't have much competition and make sure you know the product inside and out. She was tough but her objections to me were quite amusing.
After selling my item to her, she said "good job" and tried to give me some pointers.
I honestly didn't agree with most her pointers but kept it to myself. I just kept saying okay and agreeing with her. She said she's done phone sales her whole life and gave me horrible sales advice. Her advice was "don't waste too much time pitching and talking to a customer, pitch the deal and close it!" I said I was building rapport since thats what huge corporations like AT&T and other fortune 500 companies taught me. She really didn't agree but we were laughing about it and I was being as professional as possible.
Listen, you may be great on the phone, but selling face to face is a different animal. I've been doing it for almost 10 years!! Give me advice on phone sales(because thats what ill be doing), not face to face since I've excelled at it.
After that she thanked me and walked me out. I honestly felt like I KILLED IT!! I felt like a million bucks. All three managers said I was very enthusiastic and had great selling abilities and I expressed to them that I am very coachable.

Once I got home I emailed the recruiter and the other managers who interviewed me a Thank You Letter.

About 10(!!) days later, I received an email stating they found other qualified candidates.
I was shocked since I was more than qualified and all three managers said I did very well. If you don't think I did well, just say "you could have done a little better"!!
Don't kiss my ass and say you did Great or Outstanding. I wasn't too disappointed because after you BUST your ass and hit your quota, you'll only make 45K TOPS. I mean, it is an entry level position and everything happens for a reason.

I would have likely declined the job anyway since the pay was abysmal but I was honestly going back and forth back and forth about it because its a product and company I believe in. The job market sucks so thats another reason why I was debating

Interview Question – Something negative people say about you   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp in September 2013.

Interview Details – Had phone interview with a very tense woman who already had made her decision before speaking to me

Interview Question – She seemed bored there weren't any questions   View Answer

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!