Yelp

Updated Dec 10, 2014
Updated Dec 10, 2014

52 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in December 2014.

I applied through my college via a recruiter. I followed up with her after an on-campus event, and she took my resume and uploaded it to their database. About a week later, I received an email regarding a phone interview.
The interview process starts with an initial phone screening, lasting roughly 10 minutes. The phone interview is nothing crazy, just want to make sure you can hold a conversation and talk a little bit about yourself. Afterwards, I received an email to schedule a Skype Interview two weeks down the road.
Had my Skype interview and I met with 2 sales managers. The whole interview lasted roughly 50 minutes. The first sales manager got right down to business, asking questions about my past experiences, biggest success, weakness, etc. Then we did a role play. I did poorly the first time, but she gave me feedback and asked me to do it again. I improved the second time, and she was very happy I IMPLEMENTED HER FEEDBACK. About 5 minutes later, I met with the second sales manager. She, too, was very serious and wanted to get right down to business. She asked me what feedback I had received from the previous manager, and asked me a bunch of standard questions (name a stressful time in your life, a time where you wanted to give up, etc.) Then we did another role play, which I did rather well on. All in all, take their feedback seriously and be conversational. If for the role play, you come out guns blazing pitching all the benefits of Yelp, you'll sound too much like you're selling advertising and they won't dig it.

Interview Questions
  • Schedule a phone appointment with a client
    Convince a client to use Yelp instead of other advertising

View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yelp in October 2014.

I received an email requesting to set up a phone interview. The first phone interview is short, about 15 minutes, where you will be asked general questions and do a short role play. My second interview was a Skype interview. It was about 45 minutes, with 3 separate sales managers. I had to do role plays with each of them. After that, I got an email requesting that I sign up for a webinar and apply for a background check. The webinar is about a half hour and just goes into a lot of detail about what the job is. After the webinar, I got an email setting up a third phone interview with a recruiter. The recruiter called me, asked me some general questions, and offered me the job at the end of the phone call.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

As other interviewers have said, you are interviewed by 3 sales managers. The first impression I had of the place was that it was extraordinarily casual. They were "running late" the day I was there and they rushed us into our respective interview rooms. The first person to interview me asked me why sales, why yelp, and where else I had interviewed/applied. I think this was my major downfall, it threw me off and I honestly wasn't sure how to answer it. We did a role play where I was trying to get a meeting with a business owner. They told me I was too passive and needed to he assertive. That's fine, I knew I could get that down. Next person asked me the exact same questions, but she seemed very uninterested in me. She was looking out the window and at the door the entire time and didn't even seem to be listening to me. Then, she left. No role play. This completely threw me off for the remainder of the interview. The last person came in and asked me the same questions, then did a role play where I had to sell him something. I was very thoroughly explaining the benefits of the product and thought I did quite well. After the interview I sent a thank you to the people who interviewed me. I received an email 3 days later saying they were going with other candidates, which in the end was a good thing for me because I don't think it was a good fit. The job is basically a telemarketing position and you're just expected to make the company money. Pay is not good for a college grad. If you love sales and working for commission, this is for you. Additionally, if you want a laid back college-like environment, this is a great place for you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Yelp in July 2014.

15 minute phone call where I explained my understanding of the role (a day in the life of an account executive), talked about a time that I'd competed and won and a time I'd competed and lost.
    A few days later I had an hour long skype session where I spoke with three different employees, did some sales role play and answered some behavioral questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in June 2014.

The other posts on the interview for the account executive position were very accurate. I had an initial phone screening and was invited in to the New York office for a face to face interview. Overall everyone in the office was very nice and it seemed like a fun place to work. There were interviews with three managers lasting about ten minutes each. General behavioral questions that you need to answer in the STAR format and also questions asking what you would do in specific situations in the office or on the phone with a potential client. Each of the managers had me do a role play and after giving me advice let me try it again. Also, the second and third managers will ask you how your previous interviews went- be sure to remember the advice from your previous role plays because they may ask about it. Be sure to take their advice and really don't be afraid to really push to sell their product. They want to see your enthusiasm and ability to take criticism and use it to improve on your performance. Good luck!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

interviewed at Yelp in June 2014.

Process took a month. Applied online through job website. First phone call basic questions. 3 role plays scenario. Very organized structure seemed uninterested because they use the same organization for all clients.

Interview Questions
    • If you are under quota with amount of calls what would you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Yelp in April 2014.

The first phone interview is swift. You'll be asked: what do you know about us and the product we're offering; what do you know about what this position entails; why sales; why sales at Yelp. Any comment I made about myself, she called me on- wanted me to prove it. Then finally she explains the position and perks, which are exactly as they're listed on the job posting and then tells you if you're moving forward or not.

Interview Questions
    • You said you have good interpersonal skills- prove it; tell me about a situation in which you employed them successfully.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Got a phone interview after I applied through linked in through a friend referral. First interview was a phone interview which was only 15 minutes asking you basic questions. Made it to the next round in person in NYC. Thought it went well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp in February 2014.

Applied through LinkedIn and within a couple days was contacted via email that they wanted to conduct a phone interview. The phone interview was a very basic series of questions about my background, "why sales", "why Yelp" and things of that nature. I got through that interview and the next step was an on-site interview. The office is loud, with music playing, and a lot of young employees working the phones. I was taken into a conference room by an HR person who gave me a lowdown of what was to ensue. There was 3 rounds of interviewers and role playing. I felt like I was at a Pokemon gym, getting through each round and finally to the gym leader. The first round was a really nice guy who asked me some basic questions and then a role play. The role play was basically me calling a business and getting an appointment with them. He said I did well and got the appointment (role play appointment, not a real one). His only criticism was to be a bit more assertive. Round 2, I was greeted by a woman, and asked similar questions. The role play was to close a deal with a business selling them an ad package. I didn't think I did as well as she made it out to be and felt a bit flustered at one point, but she said I did great so I'm not complaining. The final boss I had to face was, as expected, the most difficult. She wasn't as nice and smiley as the first two, but she was by no means unpleasant. I guess she just didn't seem as enthusiastic or impressed, but this could simply be her demeanor. We got into the role play rather quickly, and I had to try to sell her "a product I was passionate about". CHOOSE SOMETHING YOU KNOW INSIDE AND OUT. I must stress this. Whoever the interviewer will be I can guarantee will be very resistant. I chose my juicer. Her feedback was that I knew the product well, but need to show a little more passion about it. To conclude the interview she asked me why they should consider hiring me, what makes me stand out, etc... You know the deal with these ubiquitous, generic interview questions. All in all, the interview wasn't too difficult, but not a breeze. Be prepared for the role plays, be yourself, and don't panic. Most of the employees there, including the interviewers, had no sales experience initially, so don't worry if you make some minor mistakes and get a little criticism like I did. I was told I'd be emailed in 3-5 business days. I received it in one and was told by a senior recruiter that she wanted to set up a half hour phone call to talk more about the position, if I'm interviewing with other companies, and what the next steps would be. This means they are interested in hiring you. This isn't another interview, it's really just to see how interested you are in the position and to decide if you'd like to accept their offer and commence with the training program. Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • What is a quality that your family or friends say you have that you think is off mark?   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in March 2014.

Initial phone interview, in person role plays, follow up call

Interview Questions
    • What is something your friends and family say about you that is off mark?   Answer Question
    None