Yelp Account Executive Sales Interview Questions

Updated Aug 19, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (Scottsdale, AZ) in July 2015.

Interview

It started with a phone interview where they ask you to do a mock voicemail for a company that you've called three times already. Just make sure you mention a time when you are going to call back if you don't hear back from them. They give you feedback no matter how well you do, just to make sure you listen and are able to be coached. With the face to face interview they ask you to do the voicemail again. Again, they will give you feedback. Then the second interviewer asked me to explain to an auto shop as to why yelp is better than a newspaper ad. MAKE SURE YOURE ASKING THEM QUESTIONS!

Interview Questions

• Why Yelp?   Answer Question
  • Pretend I am the owner at an auto body shop and I've called you back to tell you that I've decided to go with newspaper ads because it's cheaper. Change my mind.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Pretty straight forward, make sure to prepare for the mock phone call. Otherwise interviewers were easy going and provided helpful constructive criticism. Relax, rehearse the phone call, they just want to see that you are comfortable and confident.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Yelp (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

It was awful, my recruiter acted like she did not have time and snapped at me when I was asking general questions about the company and what the position initially entailed. I was excited for the interview but honestly I am glad it did not work out. I first talked to them at a career fair at my school and they were BLOWING up my email and would not stop calling me so I decided to take the interview. My recruiter was rude at the end and I did not have a good feeling during the process.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application and within two weeks I received an e-mail asking me when would be a good time to set up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted 20 minutes and was with a recruiter. She asked me questions about my resume and why I wanted to work with Yelp. We then practice role playing where she asked me to act as if I was leaving a voice mail for Johnny’s Pizza, she said that I had tried to call them three times before but I have yet to get in contact with Johnny. Be prepared to take notes because she will give you feedback on your voicemail and you need to use her feedback to improve. She is looking to see if you’re coachable and adaptable. Keep it short and simple when leaving the voicemail and remember that it is your job to get in contact with the customer. After the phone interview she set up a time for me to come in and interview with a sales manager and a recruiter. She also offered to either do the interview on Skype or in person. My advice is to do it in person because you really need to see the office and get a feel for the culture that Yelp has to offer but that is just my opinion. When I arrived at the office I was greeted by two people at the front desk, talk to them and use this time to get your nerves out of the way. A few minutes later a recruiter came and escorted me around the office. After the tour I was seated in a room where I would be interviewed. The first person to interview me was the head recruiter, she asked me questions like “why yelp?”, “why would I be a good fit?” “Why should we hire you?” “Tell me about a time you quit something and came back to it?” “Tell me about a time you failed?”. Practice these questions before you go in and you will ace this part of the interview. The next step was role-playing; she asked me to leave a voicemail for Johnny’s pizza and then gave me feedback. The next role-play was calling a business that I had spoken to before and presented yelp too but decided to, instead go with the newspaper, my job was to convince her otherwise. Take it slow and utilize the feedback she gives you. Relax, think about what your saying and you will do fine. The second person who interviewed me was a sales manager, he asked me about my past and similar questions as the first person. He is more looking to see if you have personality and can talk to people. Just be cool and you will be fine. After the interview I received an email asking me to join a webinar to learn more about the role. Breathe a sigh of relief at this point. You got the job.

Interview Questions

• “why yelp?”, “why would I be a good fit?” “Why should we hire you?” “Tell me about a time you quit something and came back to it?” “Tell me about a time you failed?”   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non negotiable

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Emailed me and offered an introductory phone interview, completed that and was invited to do a Skype interview with 2 separate hiring managers. Invited me for a Skype interview, spoke to the first manager, then waited on hold for 30 minutes and the second manager blew me off. Left me on an open Skype call staring at an empty conference room.

Interview Questions

• Would You be willing to relocate?   1 Answer

Account Executive Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

I was given a 10 minute time window that a sales rep would call me. When he did, he introduced himself as someone who, years ago, was in my same position. He then asked me about myself and backgrounds and passions. He also asked me if I ever encountered any difficulties and how I solved it. Other than questions about me, he didn't ask anything else.

Interview Questions

• What was a challenge you faced and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process is split between two sales managers. Both are evaluating your ability to sale and fit in to company culture through role play. the first interview is a phone interview followed by a in person interview. The in person interview was exceptionally challenging.

Interview Questions

• How would you sale yelp to a business owner   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview is actually a 3 step process. The first interview is a 15minute phone call which has basic questions and gives you one cold call scenario. The second interview is through Skype. The Skype call is about 30 minutes and you talk to two sales managers. They are really intimidating. They gave you cold call scenarios and try to make you break. Terrible experience.

Interview Questions

• Business hasn't been answering your calls, leave a voicemail message to make them call you back.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Got a call which was great very inviting and exciting Then had my first interview with a female was very inviting and informative about the roll and position , did two role plays went well . Second part of interview was some level of disrespectful he kept looking at his phone mentioning his bday weekend was coming and how he misplaced his ID in a local bar over the week , which didn't bother me at first but when i noticed nothing i was saying he was paying attention to and was starting got rush me throw the process. I understand this is a aggressive sales role but this was a interview for us to build some type of confidence in each other . I really was open and excited to this opportunity but the rude way of the 2nd interviewer let me know that yelp is not where i would feel comfort as new career choice. There not diverse and he rushed me out the door and didn't respond to my BYE lol . Im not sensitive but this is a Job and business and the 2nd interviewer had no tact of professionalism.

Interview Questions

• Prior and current experience , Do you feel comfort making 80-100 calls a day ?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

The process took about 4 weeks. First interview was on the phone, overview about my understanding. Second was a skype interview with 2 recruiters. They asked me to do role playes and sell the advertisements that Yelp does. The next part is a webinar but I'm still waiting to hear back