Yelp

Updated Nov 26, 2014

3.2

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Account Executive Sales Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Had to fill out an online "test" - was pretty straightforward. Got an email for a phone interview a week or two after. Phone call was easy, asked me basic questions like why I'm interested in Yelp, and sales more specifically. Read the things they send you in the email, a day or two before. Did a mock sales call, where interviewer asked me to leave a voicemail for a business owner who had been dodging my phone calls, but initially agreed for a meeting. I did it, she gave me feedback. Really pay attention to the feedback your interviewer gives you! They just want to know that you're coachable. Next step was a skype call but in person was also an option (I just wasn't in town). You get two different level sales managers interview you, and do sales role plays with you and ask you maybe 1-2 behavioral questions each. It was pretty straight forward. Really sell yourself and show them why you'd be great in sales at Yelp. LISTEN TO THEIR FEEDBACK. It's ok if you mess up, just listen to their feedback and implement it when you try again. I had the interview on a Friday, on Monday of the following week I got an email for a background check and training webinar. I knew I had the position.

Interview Questions
  • There was no difficult question in particular, just practice sales role plays prior to the skype/in-person!   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Account Executive Sales Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

I started off with a phone interview, which was more so like a screening to see if you were a right fit for the company. Afterwards, they scheduled a time to meet in person or via Skype. I did the Skype interview and talked with 3 different hiring managers. Each one of them asked to do a role play. The phone interview lasted for about 45 mins to an hour. The interviewers seemed very rushed and one of them was a bit condescending and called me out for stifling a yawn (it was 9am so of course I'm tired!) and at the end, the person didn't even asked if I had any questions.

Interview Questions
    • Role play that you're a Sales Exec leaving a message to your client regarding his interest in Yelp Ads.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in July 2014.

The first interview was a 15-minute phone conversation in which I was asked very pointed situational questions. I was moved onto the next round, which was in their NYC corporate office and I met with 3 different sales managers. Each manager asked to do a role play, and would then ask what the previous manager had given me as feedback. They make it clear that this is a cold-calling sales position and you are on the phone 24/7. It seems to be a very supportive and laid back work environment, and if successful, can move through the ranks fairly quickly.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you ran for something and lost - why did you think you lost?   Answer Question

3 online video interviews

Interview Questions
    • They put you through scenario as if you are the sales rep and they are the customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp.

Applied online on Yelp website. I was contacted fairly quickly and conducted a phone screen interview. Basically they want to know that you are interested in working a 9-5 cold call position while maintaining a high volume of calls and hitting sales quotas. Was brought into the office for an in person interview. Met with three people discussing my background and qualifications, general questions. Then you do role plays with each person you meet. First one had me book a meeting with a busy potential customer. Next role play was to overcome an objection (customer wants to sign up with Facebook ads instead), and last was to sell something you're passionate about. Pretty standard interview no real curveballs if you read these reviews. I didn't get the job perhaps because of inexperience, but they are looking for personalities they can mold into a good salespeople. Just be yourself and show that you are bubbly, excited, outgoing and can think on your toes.

Interview Questions
    • What is something that a family/friend would say about you, that you don't quite agree with   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp in January 2014.

The first interview is over the phone and only lasted about 15 minutes. The initial questions are
    1) What is Yelp
    2) What is the product we offer local businesses
    3) How would you succeed in a mainly cold calling, fast paced environment
    5) Why do you want to work at Yelp
    The next part of the interview the interviewer talks a little but about what they do and their experience at Yelp

Interview Questions
    • 4) When was a time you had been rejected or failed at something, what did you do to respond?   Answer Question

Account Executive Sales Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp in December 2013.

The interview process started with a pre-interview phone call which was easy and included basic interview questions. A few days later I had an extremely tough Skype interview that included role-play. I was excited and ready to take on the challenge.

One woman introduced herself, talked about the position and then left the room. The next woman came in and asked me why i wanted to the job and then asked me to role play. She gave me feedback and left the room. The next woman came in and went through the same process including role play. The last woman came in and role played with me again. She went over my mistakes and the interview ended. I made a few mistakes due to being nervous and I didn't receive an offer. It is clear that this company is looking for perfection.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp.

There was an Initial phone interview for about 10-15 mins. They asked basic interview questions about my experience, and why I wanted a high volume cold calling position.

Sales Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

I applied online through Jobvite and about two weeks later received an email from HR saying they were interested in continuing the process. About a week later they emailed me to set up the phone interview. Once I had confirmed the date and time for the phone interview, the recruiter sent me an email with links to the Yelp blog as well as their FAQ page for business owners. If you follow the recruiter's advice, you should have no problem during the interview. In my case, the phone interview lasted only 10 minutes, and we spent the bulk of the time going over the job itself. Know Yelp, know Yelp's product, be friendly, and you'll be fine.

At the end of the phone interview the interviewer said he was moving me on to the next and final round, which because I'm out of state, was a Skype interview with three different Sales Managers. Don't be intimidated, but definitely do your research. There will be role playing, lots of it, so be SURE you know the product you are trying to sell. All the Glassdoor reviews really helped me with this portion of the interview. Also, make sure you have a good answer for why you want a high volume cold calling position!

In the first mock call, I was told to introduce myself, gage the business owner's knowledge of Yelp, and set up an appointment to speak with them further.

In the second scenario, I had to convince someone who had rejected Yelp previously to sign on for a month of advertising.

In the final scenario, I had to sell the interviewer my favorite product. Again, be friendly, ask a lot of questions, and you'll do great!

A few days after the Skype interview they initiated a background check, and a few days after that, I was offered the job!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yelp in February 2013.

The interview process is smooth. I went to a career fair and gave them my resume. A few weeks later I received the phone interview. They asked me questions about me, my education, and some about the company. Then came the skype interview where I had to do mock calls.

Interview Questions
    • I am the owner of Mike's Pizza and I do not want to buy an ad. What should you do in this situation?   View Answer