Yelp

7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Account Executive Sales
New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Yelp in January 2014.

Interview Details – The first interview is over the phone and only lasted about 15 minutes. The initial questions are
1) What is Yelp
2) What is the product we offer local businesses
3) How would you succeed in a mainly cold calling, fast paced environment
5) Why do you want to work at Yelp
The next part of the interview the interviewer talks a little but about what they do and their experience at Yelp

Interview Question – 4) When was a time you had been rejected or failed at something, what did you do to respond?   Answer Question

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – There was an Initial phone interview for about 10-15 mins. They asked basic interview questions about my experience, and why I wanted a high volume cold calling position.

Sales Account Executive Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – I applied online through Jobvite and about two weeks later received an email from HR saying they were interested in continuing the process. About a week later they emailed me to set up the phone interview. Once I had confirmed the date and time for the phone interview, the recruiter sent me an email with links to the Yelp blog as well as their FAQ page for business owners. If you follow the recruiter's advice, you should have no problem during the interview. In my case, the phone interview lasted only 10 minutes, and we spent the bulk of the time going over the job itself. Know Yelp, know Yelp's product, be friendly, and you'll be fine.

At the end of the phone interview the interviewer said he was moving me on to the next and final round, which because I'm out of state, was a Skype interview with three different Sales Managers. Don't be intimidated, but definitely do your research. There will be role playing, lots of it, so be SURE you know the product you are trying to sell. All the Glassdoor reviews really helped me with this portion of the interview. Also, make sure you have a good answer for why you want a high volume cold calling position!

In the first mock call, I was told to introduce myself, gage the business owner's knowledge of Yelp, and set up an appointment to speak with them further.

In the second scenario, I had to convince someone who had rejected Yelp previously to sign on for a month of advertising.

In the final scenario, I had to sell the interviewer my favorite product. Again, be friendly, ask a lot of questions, and you'll do great!

A few days after the Skype interview they initiated a background check, and a few days after that, I was offered the job!

Interview Question – Describe a time that you've failed at something.   Answer Question

Phoenix, AZ

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yelp in February 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process is smooth. I went to a career fair and gave them my resume. A few weeks later I received the phone interview. They asked me questions about me, my education, and some about the company. Then came the skype interview where I had to do mock calls.

Interview Question – I am the owner of Mike's Pizza and I do not want to buy an ad. What should you do in this situation?   View Answer

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Yelp in September 2012.

Interview Details – First is a very basic and easy phone interview to understand who you are then if you make it past that, you have a skype or in office interview. The in office interview is very difficult because it consists of role playing in a sales associate position. The reason why it is difficult is that they expect you to already be a sales representative before you even receive the training. You role play with 3 interviewers who in my opinion do not give any leeway or forgiveness when it comes to right or wrong answers.

Interview Question – I own bob's pizza shop, sell me yelp. *Ring.   Answer Question

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through other source and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Yelp in June 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online
Received an e-mail from a recruiter after a couple days and was advised I would be getting a phone interview. Phone inter was simple as long as you studied the material that was provided. You must be ready to discuss this material or the interview will be stopped and they will thank you for your time. After about 8 min I was invited to the office to interview in person. For this portion you really need to prepare for hypothetical situations of cold calls, random interview questions (Describe a time you had a conflict with a co-worker and how was that resolved/ what is success/ why Yelp). If you are prepared they will know.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Simple.

Scottsdale, AZ

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in March 2012.

Interview Details – I found this gig on Yelp.com. I love the company, and I'm graduating in September hoping to relocate. I applied ont he website initially, and was contacted by a hiring manager via jobvite.com. I heard back from them about two weeks later saying they were interested in my application and wanted to set up a 10-15 minute phone call with me. It's pretty much a preliminary screening to make sure you "really" want the job and know how to talk on the phone. My hiring manager call me 10 minutes earlier than my interview time, and asked me a few basic questions: What do you know about Yelp targeted advertising program? What do you know about this position? Why sales? Are you interested in relocating?. At the end of our phone chat, the hiring manager told me she was moving me onto the second round Skype interview and I would receive an email in 3-5 days to set up my panel interview. After the 5th day of not hearing back from a hiring manager, I sent a follow-up email to make sure things were still going as they were planned. She apologized and asked me what date I wanted to set up my 2nd and final interview. The 2nd interview consisted of 3 Yelp employees. Really nice people who are eager to talk to you and have conversation. They're short on time, but try to get to know you in the 15 minutes they have. They ask a few role playing questions like: "I'm a hair salon owner. Sell me the Yelp advertising plan. OKay, go!" and "Sell me your favorite pair of shoes." Show lots of enthusiasm, big smile, and be quick on your feet. Research tips for Skype interviews.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Yelp

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!

Yelp Videos

Yelp – Why Work for Us?

Yelp (NYSE: YELP) connects people with great local businesses. Yelp was founded in San Francisco in July 2004. Since then, Yelp communities have taken root in major metros across the US, Canada, UK, Ireland, France… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yelp Account Executive Sales interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Yelp employees and interview candidates.