Yelp

Average Difficulty
31 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – First, I received an Email that Yelp wants to interview me. A few days later I talked to a very nice lady on the phone for about 15 minutes. She asked me about my customer service experience and my salary expectations. At the end of the call she told me that she would like to schedule another skype interview. The Skype interview was ok. I spoke to 2 very nice guys, with each for about 30 minutes. They both were very easy to talk to. They asked me a few personality questions and then did 2 role plays.

Interview Question – Tell me about what you expect of the Account Manager position. What are you most excited about and what are you the most scared about.   Answer Question

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online - interviewed at Yelp in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted the next day to have a phone interview. The HR rep emailed me about 5 links of videos and articles on Yelp that I needed to watch/ read before the interview.

The phone interview lated 7 minutes and was basically just to see if I looked at the info I was sent. The interviewer only ask me 1 question about myself- if i was currently employed. I kept the articles they sent me open during the interview and basically just repeated the info back to them. Easiest interview ever. She asked me to do a Skype call at the end.

In the Skype call I was asked a few questions about myself and had to do 2 role plays. During the role plays they expected me to do them perfectly and criticized me after because I didn't ask the right questions. Isn't that what training is for??? I believe Yelp is only looking for people they don't have to train at all or train very little. The turnover seems ridiculously high.

After that I was emailed that I didn't get the job- not a big surprise.

Interview Question – Role play   Answer Question

Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Yelp in June 2014.

Interview Details – Interview was very basic. The HR person told me a little bit about the position, then asked me how I operate day-to-day at my current job. Since I am currently in a Sales position, she immediately told me I should try their Account Executive position and not Account Manager. She was a bit disappointed when I said I was not looking to continue in sales if I wanted to move to another company. She then went into salary and asked me to tell her a bit about what I currently earn, which I found to be very odd. Once she learned that I am currently earning more, she cut the interview short and did not want to continue.

Interview Question – How do you organize your daily activities?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Yelp

Interview Details – They were so nice and want to see your personality. They ask a lot of the interview questions you hear in other interviews but add their own Yelp flavor. They do a mock phone call with you that you should try to prepare for.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an email to set up an initial 15 minute interview a few days later. They give you a link to three websites and expect you to have looked at them and done your research prior to the phone call. DO THIS. The interview was standard, very typical questions- tell me about yourself, tell me what you know about Yelp and a few questions about the services Yelp offers. At the end of the interview they either tell you they want to speak with you again right away or say they will be in touch shortly.

The same day I schedule a time for three days later to do a Skype interview. This was about one hour long with two different senior account managers. The first, Mike, asked simple questions about myself, why I would want to do high-volume phone sales, what I knew about Yelp and then went into two role play scenarios. The first of which was "Pretend I am a Yelp customer and my advertising is working, but I just don't want to pay for the services anymore." The second was, "walk me through how you would handle a customer who doesn't think the advertising on Yelp is working, they want to cancel their membership and also want a refund for the services." My feedback for each role play was to ask more questions about the client's business.

The next woman, Karen, was much friendlier, asked what my understanding of the position was, and simple get to know you/behavioral questions. She asked how I organized my day, and tell me about a time when you had a different opinion than the team you were working with and how you overcame that. Then we went through one role play scenario where she pretended to be a salon owner who just received a one-star review and wished to remove it (which Yelp does not do). Her feedback was that I should have offered the customer email Yelp HR. She also asked what I am most excited/fearful about with this job.

The overall experience was not too difficult. Make sure to do your research on Yelp.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected, read the rest of the glassdoor reviews   Answer Question

Account Manager

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – Applied online and received an email to set up a phone interview. Was then invited to an in person interview on site where they gave scenarios, similar to what others have mentioned

Interview Question – Be sure to watch their video links. They expect you to know their advertising options for small businesses   Answer Question

Scottsdale, AZ

Interview Details – Phone interview with bubbly woman who loved everything I said even though I didn't think I was doing that well. Immediately scheduled me for Skype interview the following week.

I had been studying everything there is to know about Yelp. Wrote out and prepared answers to any difficult question they may ask. I prepared for the two role plays and knew what to say for both scenarios (receiving bad review & business not seeing results/can't afford it)

Never have I been so prepared and excited for an interview in my life. I wanted this position so bad and knew that I was a great candidate. I spoke with two different men during the Skype interview-both seemed very nice and made me feel as though I was doing very well the entire time. Second guy told me they don't hire people who they don't think will click with all of the employees and he told me that he thought I would fit right in, that he hoped to see me around in the office, and that I had a very strong background. He told me he liked that I had a lot of experience with advertising, working with clients, and working on a large account (Microsoft).

I received an email two days later stating that they decided to continue the process with candidates with backgrounds better for the position.

The only thing I can think is that they wanted to hire local?? I am from Michigan but would have picked up and moved the next week if I had to. Idk maybe they just want to hire people who went to big name universities. Who really cares though? Stupid. I don't really understand what they want because the entire time they made it seem like I was going to get the job.

Interview Question – They asked me If I had better verbal or written skills. I explained how I thought I was strong in both places, but I realized the importance of having strong verbal skills and that I had chosen a public speaking class over creative writing in college. They asked me how I will improve my writing skills. Thought this was weird because I already discussed how I had very strong writing skills so I didn't really know what they wanted me to say.   Answer Question

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Yelp in May 2014.

Interview Details – This was a two step process for me beginning with a phone interview that lasts about 15-20 minutes. This portion asks a few questions about previous experience in retention based jobs as well as personal questions involving your organizational skills and why you would be a good fit for this position Also, know their advertising options. If they are happy, they schedule you right away for an interview within the next couple days. This is where it got interesting for me...you will first meet with one account manager who asks you a few general questions about the company and then you will do a role play. Mine included a pizza place owner who wanted to cancel because they felt they weren't getting their money worth. While I listed a bunch of options on the Yelp side of things and ways to improve moving forward, the feedback I received was to ask more questions about the pizza place (are you in your busy time, how are you tracking this-most people don't say they heard about you from Yelp, etc.). The second part was with another account manager, this time I got a stone cold guy(interviewer) who was acting as an annoyed salon owner who just received a 1 star review and wanted it taken down. Again, the feedback was directed at asking more questions about the review rather than offering a solution from Yelp. So while they act as though they want to make sure you're educated on their company, what I gather is that they are actually more interested in how many questions and answers you can get out of the business owner that deals with their company, not Yelp. Still, I felt pretty confident leaving the interview as I have worked in customer service for 10 years and knew about the ad products and features that Yelp offers their advertisers (they ask that you know a fair deal about this before the interview) but received a generic response a couple days later saying they found a more qualified applicant. IDK....hope this helps the next wave...

Interview Question – An interesting question I had was whether I thought I had stronger writing or verbal skills. Obviously you should answer verbal here but this kind of caught me off guard.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp in April 2014.

Interview Details – I found this opening late one night. Applied online. Followed the advice I found here. Made it to the third round.

I thought that I knocked the phone interview out of the park. I was really excited and was dying for the job, unable to sleep the night before. The last group interview went as expected. I thought the first guy was great, but the second girl...I just knew we had no chemistry.

Interview Question – You graduated from college rather quickly. Why the sense of urgency?   Answer Question

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Yelp in February 2014.

Interview Details – Called me up and asked me questions. Simple questions "why I am looking for a job" (Uhh because I don't have one?)" "How did you hear about us?" General crap. That call doesn't mean anything at all, you can just talk with them and they will schedule you to come in. Now I came from Mesa, which is far from Scottsdale. So I was like, sure whatever. Anyway, study the company, and know what they do. But, it doesn't matter cause they already know if you got it or not. Then the interview with about two idiots come in and want to role play. No matter what you say or do, you are WRONG!!!! They will twist you and gut you until you give up. Which, in my opinion is unfair since I didn't know sh** about the company so I couldn't answer most of what they fired at me. So after to two moronic role play scenarios, they cut you loose with expectations that you did good. But, in the end "we have decided to go with someone that is a better fit"! Ahhh that stupid email that always gets sent out. So, if you want to job go ahead and try, but unless your giving oral to them; chances are they are looking for someone else.

Interview Question – the role play. Regardless of your customer service you will fail. Because they know the job and you do not. They make you look like a big fool.   Answer Question

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!