Yelp Account Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Yelp (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

First is a phone interview, they don't ask any questions about you or you experience, just your thoughts on how you would do in the role. There is one role play which is pretty simple, you have to show just a little initiative and some retention skills. Then there is the on site interview in which they discuss the role, do some personality tests, and then the dreaded role play. I felt like they expected me to have all of these skills perfectly honed during the interview, in which I got frustrated because I began to feel like my skills I already had weren't good enough. I think it has to do with the person who is interviewing you. But the next day I got a call with an informal offer for my job, and once my background check was cleared, I got the formal offer. I was shocked because I didn't feel like I did very well in the interview.

Interview Questions

• Convince me to visit your favorite restaurant   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (Scottsdale, AZ) in August 2015.

Interview

The first interview is done through phone and it lasts for about 15 minutes. They mostly want to see if you understand what Yelp is about and what they sell. Also they ask general questions about yourself and why would you like to work there. Plus they do role play so be prepared for that. I didn't get the offer and I'm assuming it's because I don't have enough experience. Overall they're very nice and they are very selective on who they recruit.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied via their website back in January. They were not hiring for the position I had applied for currently but the recruiter said she would reach back out when they were. The recruiter reached back out months later and scheduled a phone interview. READ THE MATERIALS THEY SEND OVER FOR PREP. You will not get a second interview if you do not know the company. There was role play involved right off the bat with the phone interview. Position is a little bit more of a sales role than it is made out to be. I declined the in person interview because of so.

Interview Questions

• I am a business owner of Yelp and am spending $300 a month for advertising. I think it is getting to expensive and want to cancel...   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Received a call and did an interview over the phone for the first 2 interviews. They went through the usual interview steps you'd expect from any sales position. What makes you unique? What was your most difficult thing? etc... The second interview was pretty bad (see why I didn't take the offer).

The first interview wasn't that bad. The lady was sweet and we went over the usual interview questions. I can't remember the exact number of interviews but the last one was probably one of the most unprofessional interviews I have ever had. Not that I don't mind informal but this was beyond that. The guy dropped the F bomb I don't know how many times and then just said you got the job bro come on in. I get they want college age people to apply and what not but the verbiage used and overall lack of professionalism just rubbed me the wrong way

Account Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

After I made it past the first pre-screening interview that consisted of an expanation of their "yelp ad" description and a role playing for an unapppy customer. A second personal interview was offered.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer asked to "Describle the role of an account manager", "what do you to to stay organized", role play with a customer that wants to cancel their account, and "what questions do you have for me".   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

You have the standard phone interview. then you have the in person interview where you meet with to managers. they give you two scenarios to roleplay with. They ask you typical interview questions. Then, you get to ask them questions. You get feedback and they tell you they will inform you of their decision soon. When you get a tour of the office, you will notice that it is a homogeneous work environment, and if you do not fit their cultural demographic, you will not be hired, no matter how much experience you have. Very unprofessional environment. Do not dress in business attire, you will be judged. Look like a hipster, and you're in.

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

I interviewed for the Account Manager job, and my interview experience was very similar to many of the previous posts. I applied for the position in Phoenix (I'm out of state) and I received an email from a recruiter a few hours after to set up an interview. I ended up doing a preliminary 15-20 min interview and it went very well, and the recruiter was full of praise for me. The questions were very basic, but then involved some situation questions at the end which were simple as I was prepared. As I have been an account manager before, I knew how to answer all of the questions. At the end of the interview, she set me up for a Skype interview the next week with one of there Account Manager trainers. I did the Skype interview and it was around 45 mins. It went very well, I had no corrections and she said I answered perfectly and that I was exactly what they were looking for. The questions were situation questions in the STAR format (google it and you'll find many examples). As I was well prepared, the interview was a breeze and there was no dead air in the sense that I needed to search for a response for the question. At the end, the AM interviewing me said the loved my energy, charisma, and that I had a lot of experience. Again she said "you're exactly what we're looking for." She said a recruiter would be in contact with me within 2 days. Sure enough, 2 days later, I was emailed that I didn't get the position and that they were going with a candidate that was "a better fit." At this point I was very confused why I didn't get it as I have a lot of sales experience and account management experience. Plus I've made much more money than they were offering (40K). Overall, the interviews were very easy, but I have no idea why they didn't choose me. My only guess is that because I was from out of state (by why do a Skype interview then). I found it truly bizarre to tell me I'm a perfect fit, then not hire me. Oh well, it didn't pay that much anyway.

Interview Questions

• Convince a customer not to cancel with Yelp.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp (Scottsdale, AZ).

Interview

Getting an offer is pretty dependent on who interviews you. Some people I interviewed are very nice while some are very rude. Just be prepared for the role-plays and you'll be good to go.

Interview Questions

• Role-play for when a customer is angry and wants to cancel.   Answer Question

Yelp is not a very good company to work for in my opinion. They try to make it seem like it's "cool" but with the high rate of turnover and excessive hiring of new employees EVERY SINGLE MONTH (which ultimately means firing many other old employees) I just don't think this is a place any new college grads should go for their first job.

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

The questions were very basic. Fast turnaround time. Hardest question was "what would you do if someone wanted to cancel?" I would imagine that they would offer training to answer this.

Interview Questions

• What would you say if the clingy wanted to cancel?   1 Answer

Seemed like they were just interested in sales!

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp in September 2014.

Interview

Submitted my resume online. Received an email within a couple days for a preliminary phone interview. They also send you some links - make sure to read/watch the content in these. The phone interviewer will ask you a question or two about the info in the links, like "what does an account manager do?" so make sure you've read the information. Then he/she will explain the job more to you, let you ask questions, etc. Couple small questions about my resume. Nothing hard. After that I was contacted to do a second-round skype interview with a hiring manager and an account manager. The hiring manager asked me 1. whether I'm better at written or verbal communication 2. how I'm working to improve the type of communication I'm not as good at 3. describe to me the role of the account manager, and the responsibilities. They want to make sure that you know what the position entails. Then, I did a role play. Interviewer pretended to be a sullen pizza-restaurant owner who was didn't want the Yelp advertising package anymore because customers weren't citing Yelp as a reason they came in to the store. So he thought yelp's advertising wasn't working. When answering, sound confident and ask lots of questions. You don't need to know a lot about yelp, just sound like you're genuine and trying to help the customer. They give you feedback on the roleplay. The account manager asked me about what customer service experiences I'd had, and a little bit about my resume. Then I did another role play. Make sure you incorporate the feedback you heard previously in the second role play. This roleplay involved someone who wanted to take down a bad yelp review. Again, just ask questions and be super friendly and understanding. Yelp doesn't take down bad reviews. but the customer flag ones they deem inappropriate, and you can direct them to flag these reviews to be looked at further and potentially taken down by yelp or privately or publicly contact the poster. Again, I was given feedback. Third interview was another skype interview, where I was given the same pizza roleplay, and he wanted to see whether I incorporated previous feedback. I was also asked you're given a huge book with hundreds of local businesses, how do you sort them? I was again asked about the job and what it entails. They seem to want to make sure that you know you'll be on the phone 2-3 hours a day with local business owners, and kind of working as a glorified sales rep/telemarketer. I was also asked more in-depth questions about my past internship, like what I thought senior management should do on a certain project, I worked on. I was asked what scares me most about the position, and what excites me. Received an email a couple days later saying they were pursuing other candidates who are a stronger fit for this particular role. Didn't mind, because I didn't think the job description fit what I really want to do, anyway.

Interview Questions

• you're given a huge book with hundreds of local businesses, how do you sort them?   Answer Question