Yelp Account Manager Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.9

35 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Account Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Yelp.

The questions were very basic. Fast turnaround time. Hardest question was "what would you do if someone wanted to cancel?" I would imagine that they would offer training to answer this.

Interview Questions
  • What would you say if the clingy wanted to cancel?   View Answer

Seemed like they were just interested in sales!

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in September 2014.

Submitted my resume online. Received an email within a couple days for a preliminary phone interview. They also send you some links - make sure to read/watch the content in these. The phone interviewer will ask you a question or two about the info in the links, like "what does an account manager do?" so make sure you've read the information. Then he/she will explain the job more to you, let you ask questions, etc. Couple small questions about my resume. Nothing hard.

After that I was contacted to do a second-round skype interview with a hiring manager and an account manager. The hiring manager asked me 1. whether I'm better at written or verbal communication 2. how I'm working to improve the type of communication I'm not as good at 3. describe to me the role of the account manager, and the responsibilities. They want to make sure that you know what the position entails. Then, I did a role play. Interviewer pretended to be a sullen pizza-restaurant owner who was didn't want the Yelp advertising package anymore because customers weren't citing Yelp as a reason they came in to the store. So he thought yelp's advertising wasn't working. When answering, sound confident and ask lots of questions. You don't need to know a lot about yelp, just sound like you're genuine and trying to help the customer. They give you feedback on the roleplay.
    The account manager asked me about what customer service experiences I'd had, and a little bit about my resume. Then I did another role play. Make sure you incorporate the feedback you heard previously in the second role play. This roleplay involved someone who wanted to take down a bad yelp review. Again, just ask questions and be super friendly and understanding. Yelp doesn't take down bad reviews. but the customer flag ones they deem inappropriate, and you can direct them to flag these reviews to be looked at further and potentially taken down by yelp or privately or publicly contact the poster. Again, I was given feedback.

Third interview was another skype interview, where I was given the same pizza roleplay, and he wanted to see whether I incorporated previous feedback. I was also asked you're given a huge book with hundreds of local businesses, how do you sort them? I was again asked about the job and what it entails. They seem to want to make sure that you know you'll be on the phone 2-3 hours a day with local business owners, and kind of working as a glorified sales rep/telemarketer. I was also asked more in-depth questions about my past internship, like what I thought senior management should do on a certain project, I worked on. I was asked what scares me most about the position, and what excites me.

Received an email a couple days later saying they were pursuing other candidates who are a stronger fit for this particular role. Didn't mind, because I didn't think the job description fit what I really want to do, anyway.

Interview Questions
    • you're given a huge book with hundreds of local businesses, how do you sort them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yelp in August 2014.

Submitted my resume/cover letter online, and received an email the next day looking to set up a phone interview, as well as a list of sites/pages they wanted me to visit before the interview. One week later, I spoke with an account manager for about fifteen minutes (they asked questions about the specific items they sent to make sure I had prepared).

Two days later, they sent me a email asking to set up a Skype interview (I was out of the state, and not able to come to visit the office in person). The Skype interview consisted of two separate interviews; one with a manager for the position and the other with a training manager. These interviews were fairly similar: they described what they're organization responsibilities were, as well as how/when they joined Yelp. They then asked me questions about my self (How do you organize/plan your day? How do you handle having a bad day? etc.), and then had me do a role play with them where they played a customer who was unsatisfied with the services Yelp was providing them, and were looking to cancel. They were looking for me to a) ask them questions until you can ascertain what the real problem is that they have with Yelp and b) make sure that they don't hang up with the intention of dropping Yelp. These weren't especially tricky; just be confident and make sure to be positive with the customer. The business owners this position deals with are all small business owners, so their business is their life. Being understanding when they have issues and are upset would be a requirement for the job, so make sure to be empathetic while not dwelling on failure. Try to direct their attention to the positive aspects of the advertisement Yelp is providing, and end the call on a positive note!

They sent me an email the next day asking to set up another Skype interview, this time with one of the associate directors of the program. The interview had the same format as the previous Skype interview, and having that experience in hand was really helpful. If I was going to restart the hiring process with Yelp, I would make sure to practice role-playing scenarios with a friend/family member to work on articulating ideas and communicating effectively. After we finished the interview, the interviewer told me about the timeline for when I would hear back (she said between 1-3 business days). It took less than three hours before I got a call from their HR rep unofficially offering me the job!

Interview Questions
    • Role play: They are a small business owner who is very upset, and is looking to cancel their Yelp advertising after a negative review.   Answer Question
    Not very negotiable on salary/benefits.

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Yelp.

After reading many of these reviews, I felt as though I was prepared for my interviews.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: After applying online, I was called to set up a phone interview. They will email you information to review... DO IT, if you want this job... you HAVE to know about Yelp and what the position you are applying for is.

1) The phone interview only lasted about 15 minutes. It was very easy, just simple questions making sure that you understand the position and that you understand the information that was previously sent to you.

2) Now comes the hard part... You will be asked to go into Yelp for one interview broken into two different pieces... with two different people... in order to "save" two different customers in mock phone calls. The nice thing is, you can make things up (they don't expect you to know the inner workings of the company or the position). Just be yourself, ASK QUESTIONS of the business owners to really understand why the customer is truly upset.
    ***Show that you understand the concept of revenue retention!***

3) One last interview via Skype really doing a total overview of everything mentioned above. Make sure you take notes and reference back to them! SHOW them that you understand the postiion and that you understand the company.

NOTES: TAKE THEM
    RESEARCH: DO IT
    ASK QUESTIONS AT THE END OF YOUR INTERVIEW... SHOW INTEREST!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

First, I received an Email that Yelp wants to interview me. A few days later I talked to a very nice lady on the phone for about 15 minutes. She asked me about my customer service experience and my salary expectations. At the end of the call she told me that she would like to schedule another skype interview. The Skype interview was ok. I spoke to 2 very nice guys, with each for about 30 minutes. They both were very easy to talk to. They asked me a few personality questions and then did 2 role plays.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about what you expect of the Account Manager position. What are you most excited about and what are you the most scared about.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online - interviewed at Yelp in June 2014.

I applied online and was contacted the next day to have a phone interview. The HR rep emailed me about 5 links of videos and articles on Yelp that I needed to watch/ read before the interview.

The phone interview lated 7 minutes and was basically just to see if I looked at the info I was sent. The interviewer only ask me 1 question about myself- if i was currently employed. I kept the articles they sent me open during the interview and basically just repeated the info back to them. Easiest interview ever. She asked me to do a Skype call at the end.

In the Skype call I was asked a few questions about myself and had to do 2 role plays. During the role plays they expected me to do them perfectly and criticized me after because I didn't ask the right questions. Isn't that what training is for??? I believe Yelp is only looking for people they don't have to train at all or train very little. The turnover seems ridiculously high.

After that I was emailed that I didn't get the job- not a big surprise.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Yelp in June 2014.

Interview was very basic. The HR person told me a little bit about the position, then asked me how I operate day-to-day at my current job. Since I am currently in a Sales position, she immediately told me I should try their Account Executive position and not Account Manager. She was a bit disappointed when I said I was not looking to continue in sales if I wanted to move to another company. She then went into salary and asked me to tell her a bit about what I currently earn, which I found to be very odd. Once she learned that I am currently earning more, she cut the interview short and did not want to continue.

Account Manager Interview

They were so nice and want to see your personality. They ask a lot of the interview questions you hear in other interviews but add their own Yelp flavor. They do a mock phone call with you that you should try to prepare for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in June 2014.

I applied online and received an email to set up an initial 15 minute interview a few days later. They give you a link to three websites and expect you to have looked at them and done your research prior to the phone call. DO THIS. The interview was standard, very typical questions- tell me about yourself, tell me what you know about Yelp and a few questions about the services Yelp offers. At the end of the interview they either tell you they want to speak with you again right away or say they will be in touch shortly.

The same day I schedule a time for three days later to do a Skype interview. This was about one hour long with two different senior account managers. The first, Mike, asked simple questions about myself, why I would want to do high-volume phone sales, what I knew about Yelp and then went into two role play scenarios. The first of which was "Pretend I am a Yelp customer and my advertising is working, but I just don't want to pay for the services anymore." The second was, "walk me through how you would handle a customer who doesn't think the advertising on Yelp is working, they want to cancel their membership and also want a refund for the services." My feedback for each role play was to ask more questions about the client's business.

The next woman, Karen, was much friendlier, asked what my understanding of the position was, and simple get to know you/behavioral questions. She asked how I organized my day, and tell me about a time when you had a different opinion than the team you were working with and how you overcame that. Then we went through one role play scenario where she pretended to be a salon owner who just received a one-star review and wished to remove it (which Yelp does not do). Her feedback was that I should have offered the customer email Yelp HR. She also asked what I am most excited/fearful about with this job.

The overall experience was not too difficult. Make sure to do your research on Yelp.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult or unexpected, read the rest of the glassdoor reviews   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp.

Applied online and received an email to set up a phone interview. Was then invited to an in person interview on site where they gave scenarios, similar to what others have mentioned

Interview Questions
    • Be sure to watch their video links. They expect you to know their advertising options for small businesses   Answer Question

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!