Yelp

Updated Jan 28, 2015
Updated Jan 28, 2015

2.9

Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Received a call and did an interview over the phone for the first 2 interviews. They went through the usual interview steps you'd expect from any sales position. What makes you unique? What was your most difficult thing? etc... The second interview was pretty bad (see why I didn't take the offer).

The first interview wasn't that bad. The lady was sweet and we went over the usual interview questions. I can't remember the exact number of interviews but the last one was probably one of the most unprofessional interviews I have ever had. Not that I don't mind informal but this was beyond that. The guy dropped the F bomb I don't know how many times and then just said you got the job bro come on in. I get they want college age people to apply and what not but the verbiage used and overall lack of professionalism just rubbed me the wrong way

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Account Manager Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

After I made it past the first pre-screening interview that consisted of an expanation of their "yelp ad" description and a role playing for an unapppy customer. A second personal interview was offered.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer asked to "Describle the role of an account manager", "what do you to to stay organized", role play with a customer that wants to cancel their account, and "what questions do you have for me".   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

I interviewed for the Account Manager job, and my interview experience was very similar to many of the previous posts. I applied for the position in Phoenix (I'm out of state) and I received an email from a recruiter a few hours after to set up an interview.

I ended up doing a preliminary 15-20 min interview and it went very well, and the recruiter was full of praise for me. The questions were very basic, but then involved some situation questions at the end which were simple as I was prepared. As I have been an account manager before, I knew how to answer all of the questions. At the end of the interview, she set me up for a Skype interview the next week with one of there Account Manager trainers.

I did the Skype interview and it was around 45 mins. It went very well, I had no corrections and she said I answered perfectly and that I was exactly what they were looking for. The questions were situation questions in the STAR format (google it and you'll find many examples). As I was well prepared, the interview was a breeze and there was no dead air in the sense that I needed to search for a response for the question. At the end, the AM interviewing me said the loved my energy, charisma, and that I had a lot of experience. Again she said "you're exactly what we're looking for."
    She said a recruiter would be in contact with me within 2 days.

Sure enough, 2 days later, I was emailed that I didn't get the position and that they were going with a candidate that was "a better fit." At this point I was very confused why I didn't get it as I have a lot of sales experience and account management experience. Plus I've made much more money than they were offering (40K). Overall, the interviews were very easy, but I have no idea why they didn't choose me. My only guess is that because I was from out of state (by why do a Skype interview then). I found it truly bizarre to tell me I'm a perfect fit, then not hire me. Oh well, it didn't pay that much anyway.

Interview Questions
    • Convince a customer not to cancel with Yelp.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp.

Getting an offer is pretty dependent on who interviews you. Some people I interviewed are very nice while some are very rude. Just be prepared for the role-plays and you'll be good to go.

Interview Questions
    • Role-play for when a customer is angry and wants to cancel.   Answer Question

Yelp is not a very good company to work for in my opinion. They try to make it seem like it's "cool" but with the high rate of turnover and excessive hiring of new employees EVERY SINGLE MONTH (which ultimately means firing many other old employees) I just don't think this is a place any new college grads should go for their first job.

Account Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

The questions were very basic. Fast turnaround time. Hardest question was "what would you do if someone wanted to cancel?" I would imagine that they would offer training to answer this.

Interview Questions
    • What would you say if the clingy wanted to cancel?   View Answer

Seemed like they were just interested in sales!

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in September 2014.

Submitted my resume online. Received an email within a couple days for a preliminary phone interview. They also send you some links - make sure to read/watch the content in these. The phone interviewer will ask you a question or two about the info in the links, like "what does an account manager do?" so make sure you've read the information. Then he/she will explain the job more to you, let you ask questions, etc. Couple small questions about my resume. Nothing hard.

After that I was contacted to do a second-round skype interview with a hiring manager and an account manager. The hiring manager asked me 1. whether I'm better at written or verbal communication 2. how I'm working to improve the type of communication I'm not as good at 3. describe to me the role of the account manager, and the responsibilities. They want to make sure that you know what the position entails. Then, I did a role play. Interviewer pretended to be a sullen pizza-restaurant owner who was didn't want the Yelp advertising package anymore because customers weren't citing Yelp as a reason they came in to the store. So he thought yelp's advertising wasn't working. When answering, sound confident and ask lots of questions. You don't need to know a lot about yelp, just sound like you're genuine and trying to help the customer. They give you feedback on the roleplay.
    The account manager asked me about what customer service experiences I'd had, and a little bit about my resume. Then I did another role play. Make sure you incorporate the feedback you heard previously in the second role play. This roleplay involved someone who wanted to take down a bad yelp review. Again, just ask questions and be super friendly and understanding. Yelp doesn't take down bad reviews. but the customer flag ones they deem inappropriate, and you can direct them to flag these reviews to be looked at further and potentially taken down by yelp or privately or publicly contact the poster. Again, I was given feedback.

Third interview was another skype interview, where I was given the same pizza roleplay, and he wanted to see whether I incorporated previous feedback. I was also asked you're given a huge book with hundreds of local businesses, how do you sort them? I was again asked about the job and what it entails. They seem to want to make sure that you know you'll be on the phone 2-3 hours a day with local business owners, and kind of working as a glorified sales rep/telemarketer. I was also asked more in-depth questions about my past internship, like what I thought senior management should do on a certain project, I worked on. I was asked what scares me most about the position, and what excites me.

Received an email a couple days later saying they were pursuing other candidates who are a stronger fit for this particular role. Didn't mind, because I didn't think the job description fit what I really want to do, anyway.

Interview Questions
    • you're given a huge book with hundreds of local businesses, how do you sort them?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Yelp.

After reading many of these reviews, I felt as though I was prepared for my interviews.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: After applying online, I was called to set up a phone interview. They will email you information to review... DO IT, if you want this job... you HAVE to know about Yelp and what the position you are applying for is.

1) The phone interview only lasted about 15 minutes. It was very easy, just simple questions making sure that you understand the position and that you understand the information that was previously sent to you.

2) Now comes the hard part... You will be asked to go into Yelp for one interview broken into two different pieces... with two different people... in order to "save" two different customers in mock phone calls. The nice thing is, you can make things up (they don't expect you to know the inner workings of the company or the position). Just be yourself, ASK QUESTIONS of the business owners to really understand why the customer is truly upset.
    ***Show that you understand the concept of revenue retention!***

3) One last interview via Skype really doing a total overview of everything mentioned above. Make sure you take notes and reference back to them! SHOW them that you understand the postiion and that you understand the company.

NOTES: TAKE THEM
    RESEARCH: DO IT
    ASK QUESTIONS AT THE END OF YOUR INTERVIEW... SHOW INTEREST!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yelp in August 2014.

Submitted my resume/cover letter online, and received an email the next day looking to set up a phone interview, as well as a list of sites/pages they wanted me to visit before the interview. One week later, I spoke with an account manager for about fifteen minutes (they asked questions about the specific items they sent to make sure I had prepared).

Two days later, they sent me a email asking to set up a Skype interview (I was out of the state, and not able to come to visit the office in person). The Skype interview consisted of two separate interviews; one with a manager for the position and the other with a training manager. These interviews were fairly similar: they described what they're organization responsibilities were, as well as how/when they joined Yelp. They then asked me questions about my self (How do you organize/plan your day? How do you handle having a bad day? etc.), and then had me do a role play with them where they played a customer who was unsatisfied with the services Yelp was providing them, and were looking to cancel. They were looking for me to a) ask them questions until you can ascertain what the real problem is that they have with Yelp and b) make sure that they don't hang up with the intention of dropping Yelp. These weren't especially tricky; just be confident and make sure to be positive with the customer. The business owners this position deals with are all small business owners, so their business is their life. Being understanding when they have issues and are upset would be a requirement for the job, so make sure to be empathetic while not dwelling on failure. Try to direct their attention to the positive aspects of the advertisement Yelp is providing, and end the call on a positive note!

They sent me an email the next day asking to set up another Skype interview, this time with one of the associate directors of the program. The interview had the same format as the previous Skype interview, and having that experience in hand was really helpful. If I was going to restart the hiring process with Yelp, I would make sure to practice role-playing scenarios with a friend/family member to work on articulating ideas and communicating effectively. After we finished the interview, the interviewer told me about the timeline for when I would hear back (she said between 1-3 business days). It took less than three hours before I got a call from their HR rep unofficially offering me the job!

Interview Questions
    • Role play: They are a small business owner who is very upset, and is looking to cancel their Yelp advertising after a negative review.   Answer Question
    Not very negotiable on salary/benefits.

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

First, I received an Email that Yelp wants to interview me. A few days later I talked to a very nice lady on the phone for about 15 minutes. She asked me about my customer service experience and my salary expectations. At the end of the call she told me that she would like to schedule another skype interview. The Skype interview was ok. I spoke to 2 very nice guys, with each for about 30 minutes. They both were very easy to talk to. They asked me a few personality questions and then did 2 role plays.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about what you expect of the Account Manager position. What are you most excited about and what are you the most scared about.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

They were so nice and want to see your personality. They ask a lot of the interview questions you hear in other interviews but add their own Yelp flavor. They do a mock phone call with you that you should try to prepare for.