Yelp Interview Questions

Updated Oct 28, 2014
Updated Oct 28, 2014

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yelp.

1, HR called me for 15-minutes chatting about basic information of the resume.
    2, Then they sent me an Online test which lasts for 28 minutes.
        several basic multiple choice questions and a coding question.
    3, There will be a 45-minutes Skype interview then.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Overall good experience. During the interview process the sales department has you go through a phone interview and then Skype or in person interview (I'm assuming based on location). During both they give you role play scenarios where you have to cold call someone. It's not hard, but you do have to practice and take their advice seriously.

Interview Questions
    • Call a local business and convince them to subscribe to yelp (the business however doesn't want the product or care about it).   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yelp.

After a phone interview, I was brought into their office. This interview consisted of a lot of role playing. The employees I spoke with were all very friendly and make you feel comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • You must be okay with trying to sell someone their product when they continuously say no.   Answer Question

Sales Trainee Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Had an initial phone screen and then 3 in-person interviews (about 15 minutes each). Very professional and timely process. The questions they asked were standard: why I'm interested in sales, how I deal with feedback, etc.

Interview Questions
    • One interviewer asked me to role play. He was the owner of a pizza place and I needed to schedule a call with him to present him with Yelp's advertising offerings.   Answer Question

Received a higher paying offer elsewhere.

Search and Data Mining Engineer Interview

Had a 45-min skype coding interview. First 20 mins or so was all about my previous projects. Interviewer came up with quick ML or behavioural questions at times. Then a coding interview on coderpad. I spent like 25 mins and I think I did an OK job. Then some time for questions.

The interviewer was very nice and gave helpful hints during the coding part. The recruiters also responded to emails pretty fast.

Not sure why I didn't proceed to next round but my experience with Yelp is definitely positive.

Interview Questions
    • A game problem that involves some permutation and combination. Kinda like some leet code problem combined together.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Was a basic interview for a data mining team. The initial telephonic interview was about my skill set and about the projects I have done. This was followed by a 45 min technical Skype interview, which included coding questions.

Interview Questions
    • How would you make a Spam detector for Yelp given all the data. Another binary search tree coding question.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Talked to Yelp when they visited my college. Did a phone screening and quick online coding challenge. Then skype 1 on 1 interviewed with the web development team. Very cool people, asked me javascript performance questions. And other full stack web development questions. Didn't make it past first skype interview.

Interview Questions
    • Create a cache for data on a webpage to avoid calling the server whenever possible.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Got a call after I met them at the career fair. First round was a general phone conversation for around 15 minutes with the technical hr. We discussed about my background and past experience. Later, the hr sent me a coding test, which I could take anytime during the next two weeks. It was a simple 28 minute test with most of the questions already posted here.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Applied on Yelp's website and was e-mailed a few days later to take a quick online test. Then I was called a few days later for a phone interview and then came into the SF office for an in-person interview with 3 hiring managers. They allocated 20min time slots to do a one-on-one interview with each of the hiring managers.

Interview Questions
    • A company tells you that they need a few days to think about the Yelp service you are selling them. A few days later you call them back and they say that they still need more time. At this point you know that they are just trying to avoid you but you need to meet your quota. How do you approach the conversation?   Answer Question
    You can't negotiate. You have to take what you get.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Applied and got an email to fill out a questionnaire that comes off as difficult but it's not. Just want to see what you would do in certain situations. From there, you get a phone interview that just sees why you're interested in Yelp and Sales. Be sure to study up on the position from the information they email you. Then you'll do an in person interview with 3 sales managers.

Interview Questions
    • Role Plays: First is schedule a meeting. tips: be direct and try to schedule the meeting off the bat. Second is that the customer doesn't want to use the service anymore. Tips: Ask a lot of questions. Overall use their advice and if given another chance to try again, take it   Answer Question