Yelp Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014
Updated Sep 11, 2014

I applied online - interviewed at Yelp.

The questions were very basic. Fast turnaround time. Hardest question was "what would you do if someone wanted to cancel?" I would imagine that they would offer training to answer this.

Interview Questions
    • What would you say if the clingy wanted to cancel?   View Answer

Seemed like they were just interested in sales!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Yelp in September 2014.

I first had a phone interview with one of the HR people which was fairly simple and they were very nice. Then they had me come into the office for an interview. I spoke to three different people, the first was a few questions about myself and a quick role play. The second was another role play, but a bit more difficult. The third was just kind of a character review and he asked me what I learned from the first two role plays. Nothing crazy. Do not know if I got the job yet.

Interview Questions
    • The second role play was the most difficult part. They want to see how you respond to a tough situation on the phone.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in September 2014.

Submitted my resume online. Received an email within a couple days for a preliminary phone interview. They also send you some links - make sure to read/watch the content in these. The phone interviewer will ask you a question or two about the info in the links, like "what does an account manager do?" so make sure you've read the information. Then he/she will explain the job more to you, let you ask questions, etc. Couple small questions about my resume. Nothing hard.

After that I was contacted to do a second-round skype interview with a hiring manager and an account manager. The hiring manager asked me 1. whether I'm better at written or verbal communication 2. how I'm working to improve the type of communication I'm not as good at 3. describe to me the role of the account manager, and the responsibilities. They want to make sure that you know what the position entails. Then, I did a role play. Interviewer pretended to be a sullen pizza-restaurant owner who was didn't want the Yelp advertising package anymore because customers weren't citing Yelp as a reason they came in to the store. So he thought yelp's advertising wasn't working. When answering, sound confident and ask lots of questions. You don't need to know a lot about yelp, just sound like you're genuine and trying to help the customer. They give you feedback on the roleplay.
    The account manager asked me about what customer service experiences I'd had, and a little bit about my resume. Then I did another role play. Make sure you incorporate the feedback you heard previously in the second role play. This roleplay involved someone who wanted to take down a bad yelp review. Again, just ask questions and be super friendly and understanding. Yelp doesn't take down bad reviews. but the customer flag ones they deem inappropriate, and you can direct them to flag these reviews to be looked at further and potentially taken down by yelp or privately or publicly contact the poster. Again, I was given feedback.

Third interview was another skype interview, where I was given the same pizza roleplay, and he wanted to see whether I incorporated previous feedback. I was also asked you're given a huge book with hundreds of local businesses, how do you sort them? I was again asked about the job and what it entails. They seem to want to make sure that you know you'll be on the phone 2-3 hours a day with local business owners, and kind of working as a glorified sales rep/telemarketer. I was also asked more in-depth questions about my past internship, like what I thought senior management should do on a certain project, I worked on. I was asked what scares me most about the position, and what excites me.

Received an email a couple days later saying they were pursuing other candidates who are a stronger fit for this particular role. Didn't mind, because I didn't think the job description fit what I really want to do, anyway.

Interview Questions
    • you're given a huge book with hundreds of local businesses, how do you sort them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in June 2014.

The other posts on the interview for the account executive position were very accurate. I had an initial phone screening and was invited in to the New York office for a face to face interview. Overall everyone in the office was very nice and it seemed like a fun place to work. There were interviews with three managers lasting about ten minutes each. General behavioral questions that you need to answer in the STAR format and also questions asking what you would do in specific situations in the office or on the phone with a potential client. Each of the managers had me do a role play and after giving me advice let me try it again. Also, the second and third managers will ask you how your previous interviews went- be sure to remember the advice from your previous role plays because they may ask about it. Be sure to take their advice and really don't be afraid to really push to sell their product. They want to see your enthusiasm and ability to take criticism and use it to improve on your performance. Good luck!

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yelp in August 2014.

Submitted my resume/cover letter online, and received an email the next day looking to set up a phone interview, as well as a list of sites/pages they wanted me to visit before the interview. One week later, I spoke with an account manager for about fifteen minutes (they asked questions about the specific items they sent to make sure I had prepared).

Two days later, they sent me a email asking to set up a Skype interview (I was out of the state, and not able to come to visit the office in person). The Skype interview consisted of two separate interviews; one with a manager for the position and the other with a training manager. These interviews were fairly similar: they described what they're organization responsibilities were, as well as how/when they joined Yelp. They then asked me questions about my self (How do you organize/plan your day? How do you handle having a bad day? etc.), and then had me do a role play with them where they played a customer who was unsatisfied with the services Yelp was providing them, and were looking to cancel. They were looking for me to a) ask them questions until you can ascertain what the real problem is that they have with Yelp and b) make sure that they don't hang up with the intention of dropping Yelp. These weren't especially tricky; just be confident and make sure to be positive with the customer. The business owners this position deals with are all small business owners, so their business is their life. Being understanding when they have issues and are upset would be a requirement for the job, so make sure to be empathetic while not dwelling on failure. Try to direct their attention to the positive aspects of the advertisement Yelp is providing, and end the call on a positive note!

They sent me an email the next day asking to set up another Skype interview, this time with one of the associate directors of the program. The interview had the same format as the previous Skype interview, and having that experience in hand was really helpful. If I was going to restart the hiring process with Yelp, I would make sure to practice role-playing scenarios with a friend/family member to work on articulating ideas and communicating effectively. After we finished the interview, the interviewer told me about the timeline for when I would hear back (she said between 1-3 business days). It took less than three hours before I got a call from their HR rep unofficially offering me the job!

Interview Questions
    • Role play: They are a small business owner who is very upset, and is looking to cancel their Yelp advertising after a negative review.   Answer Question
    Not very negotiable on salary/benefits.

User Operations Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Yelp.

Submitted online application for User Ops Associate role and was emailed to set up a phone interview about a week later. Phone interview was quick and easy, and was invited to an in-house interview at SF headquarters for later that week. The in-person interview was about an hour and a half long. For the first half, I was interviewed by 4 people in the User Ops department (on various teams), at one time. It wasn't overwhelming at all even though it was a panel of interviewers, they were very pleasant and receptive of my answers, not intimidating. The questions were pretty straightforward, they were genuinely interested in my past work experience so that kept the conversation going strong. That lasted about a half hour, then I took a 40 minute test on a laptop that I was warned about beforehand. They told me how to study for it prior to the interview, and I could also use the internet during the test to help with answers. It was pretty easy, you just need to be able to communicate with users and business owners and look at the big picture. If diplomatic communication is not your strong suit, then the User Ops position is probably not the best fit.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something about yourself that I don't know now, but may know in 6 months.   Answer Question

Account Executive Sales Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp in December 2013.

The interview process started with a pre-interview phone call which was easy and included basic interview questions. A few days later I had an extremely tough Skype interview that included role-play. I was excited and ready to take on the challenge.

One woman introduced herself, talked about the position and then left the room. The next woman came in and asked me why i wanted to the job and then asked me to role play. She gave me feedback and left the room. The next woman came in and went through the same process including role play. The last woman came in and role played with me again. She went over my mistakes and the interview ended. I made a few mistakes due to being nervous and I didn't receive an offer. It is clear that this company is looking for perfection.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

interviewed at Yelp in September 2013.

The interview was exactly as stated on glass door. There was an initial Skype interview, which is followed by their critique. They tell you what they think you should work on.. pay close attention.. this is what they want to hear in round 2. Interview is easy but pay in minimum wage.

Minimum wage pay.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Yelp.

I received an email from a recruiter to set up a phone screen. I never received a phone call, so I reached out but no response. The next day the recruiter apologized and rescheduled. After we spoke I was invited to come in for an in-person interview. The recruiters we very friendly and informative. I was invited back for another in-person the following week. Same thing. A few days later, I was invited to Skype with the manager. After that I was invited for ANOTHER Skype with the head of the department. A few days later I received a link to complete a background check. A few days later I was notified that the background check was complete and I had passed. About a week later and I had not heard from the team. I reached out looking for a response and they said they have not made a decision. Another week went by and the same thing. It took about 3 weeks for them to send me a standard rejection letter after I called and emailed multiple times. I was extremely disappointed because of the extensive interviewing process. No explanation and no apologies. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, just many interviews repeating the same questions.   Answer Question

I applied online - interviewed at Yelp.

I received an email asking to do a preliminary phone interview and we scheduled it for the following day. I spoke to a male but right away, the conversation felt VERY rushed and he didn't seem very personable. I know I'm the one being interviewed but I personally don't like when interviews feel rushed and unimportant. He just asked me basic questions about my knowledge of the company and the services they offer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing in particular but like I said, it felt very rushed.   Answer Question

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!