Yelp Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2014
Updated Oct 20, 2014

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Talked to Yelp when they visited my college. Did a phone screening and quick online coding challenge. Then skype 1 on 1 interviewed with the web development team. Very cool people, asked me javascript performance questions. And other full stack web development questions. Didn't make it past first skype interview.

Interview Questions
    • Create a cache for data on a webpage to avoid calling the server whenever possible.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Applied on Yelp's website and was e-mailed a few days later to take a quick online test. Then I was called a few days later for a phone interview and then came into the SF office for an in-person interview with 3 hiring managers. They allocated 20min time slots to do a one-on-one interview with each of the hiring managers.

Interview Questions
    • A company tells you that they need a few days to think about the Yelp service you are selling them. A few days later you call them back and they say that they still need more time. At this point you know that they are just trying to avoid you but you need to meet your quota. How do you approach the conversation?   Answer Question
    You can't negotiate. You have to take what you get.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yelp.

1, HR called me for 15-minutes chatting about basic information of the resume.
    2, Then they sent me an Online test which lasts for 28 minutes.
        several basic multiple choice questions and a coding question.
    3, There will be a 45-minutes Skype interview then.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Overall, I did not have the best experience with Yelp. The interviewers seemed kind of in a hurry to get through my interview and were not at all familiar with my resume (one thought I had sales experience, but I don't). So the feeling of being rushed, along with the fact that the interviewers were unprepared really put me off.

After the phone interview (which is really easy, honestly I think they just want to make sure you can hold a conversation and are not a psycho), they had me come in for an on-site interview. As far as the structure, it's a 3 part interview with role play (which is a little awkward--googling some cold calling role play scenarios and practicing will help you get over it). They give you feedback after each scenario and the next interviewer will ask you what the feedback was, and expect you to implement it. Each interviewer also asked some standard interview questions. A few that come to mind are why yelp? Why sales? What is something you've had to work hard for? A time you messed up?

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about time when you worked really hard for something and didn't get it.   Answer Question

Interviewers' attitudes were off putting.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp.

Getting an offer is pretty dependent on who interviews you. Some people I interviewed are very nice while some are very rude. Just be prepared for the role-plays and you'll be good to go.

Interview Questions
    • Role-play for when a customer is angry and wants to cancel.   Answer Question

Yelp is not a very good company to work for in my opinion. They try to make it seem like it's "cool" but with the high rate of turnover and excessive hiring of new employees EVERY SINGLE MONTH (which ultimately means firing many other old employees) I just don't think this is a place any new college grads should go for their first job.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Applied online. Contacted by HR for phone screen. Asked basic computer science questions. Technical phone interview. Talked with HR about projects on resume. Asked several design questions and one algorithm question. Rejected in one week.

Associate Account Executive Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yelp.

Contacted through university recruiting. Interview was over phone, asked behavioral questions about my resume and then did some role playing selling to a company. They give feedback afterwards on what to improve on.

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Initial phone screen involving knowledge of material emailed to you. Sales role play situations on the phone. In person interview was strictly role plays with 3 different managers. After phone screen they invite you for an in person or Skype interview if you qualify and then after the in person interview they will decide whether to make you and offer or not in a week or so.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yelp.

I applied through their website and was contacted by one of their recruiters. The standard questions (found in other reviews but also a couple specific to my field) were quickly asked, it sounded like he had more questions but since I answered them easily he organised the next phone interview.

I had 2-3 phone interviews, they were all about medium difficulty, nothing super hard but did require a bit of thinking.

I then did an on-site, a nice small tour of the office and then 4x45min interview sessions. They all started off asking me about my experience, a bunch of questions specific to my area and then into the white board exercises. The whiteboard exercises were about medium to hard difficulty, some relatively straight forward, others did require more thought. I had been going through a lot of online questions (elitecoder, etc.) and also had done a couple of other interviews which asked very similar questions, so that helped a lot.

Everyone was super nice and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • I was talking about how Yelp wasn't that big in another country, I got asked 'Why do you think it isn't big and what would you do to improve adoption?'. Threw me for a bit in a software engineering interview.   Answer Question
    Negotiation went very well. I was offered more than I asked for.

Data Analyst Interview

I talked to them during a career fair. They gave me an interview via Skype. I was asked a question related to hash table. I did not answer correctly because I was barely 2 months into the CS program but I think for more seasoned people this should not be too much of a challenge.

Interview Questions
    • How to search a large data set of n items with O(1) cost?   View Answer