Yelp

Average Difficulty
678 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Account Executive

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – I got skype interview, and you have to role play. There were three managers, and asked you to role play. It's not difficult but preparing yourself. They are pretty nice and after you role play, and they will give you feedback. You can learn a lot and skills from their feedback.

Sales Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Sales Recruiting Coordinator
New York, NY

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – I had one phone screening and then an in-person interview with two people. The phone screening was odd, as the person on the phone talked very fast, to the point where I barely got a word in for the first half of it. For the in-person meeting, I was told to come no more than 10 minutes early, but being that I don't live in the city it's difficult to perfectly plan my arrival time. I entered the building about 11 or 12 minutes early instead, and was not on the doorman's list. It was awkward and annoying that I had to call up to be let in. Yelp seemed like a big play pen geared toward newly graduated college students; this might be perfect for some, but it was not what I was looking for. Over-played pop music was blasting, and the person who greeted me kind of walked away so I again felt awkward and on my own as I was signing in. The first person that interviewed me was really awesome, made me feel at ease, and truly listened to my responses - I genuinely liked him as a person. The second person that interviewed me seemed bored and detached (including as I was answering questions), said she hated the questions but had to ask them, and said whoever was selected for the position would have "big shoes to fill." Although it wasn't said in a catty or mean way, it sounded unprofessional. Moreover, I was unsure of what they based their selection off of if recruiters hated the interview questions and only half-listened... Overall, it was a fine experience. I think my issue was more that I did not fit with their culture, which seemed young and unaware of best practices. Recruitment seemed more about numbers than about anything strategic at Yelp. I decided it was not a fit for me, so I was not upset to hear that I got rejected.

Interview Question – A lot of "what would you do" and "how would you respond" situational questions. Nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

Account Executive Sales Interview

Account Executive Sales
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in July 2014.

Interview Details – The first interview was a 15-minute phone conversation in which I was asked very pointed situational questions. I was moved onto the next round, which was in their NYC corporate office and I met with 3 different sales managers. Each manager asked to do a role play, and would then ask what the previous manager had given me as feedback. They make it clear that this is a cold-calling sales position and you are on the phone 24/7. It seems to be a very supportive and laid back work environment, and if successful, can move through the ranks fairly quickly.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you ran for something and lost - why did you think you lost?   Answer Question

Front End Engineering Interview

Front End Engineering

Interviewed at Yelp

Interview Details – "Applied at my school's career fair, got an email, and within one week got a phone call. They asked a few general questions, a bit about my side projects, and then they got right in with the questions. They were just very basic questions on random HTML, Javascript, CSS stuff, such as what a title tag was, difference between == and ===, if you omit var does Javascript blow up, difference between classes and ids, and which takes precedence. "

Interview Question – Describe what a closure in javascript is.   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Yelp in July 2014.

Interview Details – 15 minute phone call where I explained my understanding of the role (a day in the life of an account executive), talked about a time that I'd competed and won and a time I'd competed and lost.
A few days later I had an hour long skype session where I spoke with three different employees, did some sales role play and answered some behavioral questions.

Interview Question – convince a client to sign the dotted line   Answer Question

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Yelp in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied to Yelp for the New Grad AE position in AZ at like 9 AM one day. By the afternoon, I already got a reply asking to set up an initial phone call. The initial call was just a little bit about me, my current location, and why Yelp. I was then asked to set up a Skype call later that week. The Skype video conference took about 50 min (each of the two role plays took 20 min with a 2 or 3-min break in between them). I thought they went well, but I got a rejection email a few days later. Oh well.

Linux Administrator Interview

Linux Administrator
San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Yelp in July 2014.

Interview Details – I scheduled a first interview time well in advance, but they didn't call me. I never ever received an email explaining why the HR manager couldn't get hold of me either. The initial response was very fast, but that was it... Poor HR process/employees, I guess...

Interview Question – Never got a chance to answer   Answer Question

Sales Development Representative Interview

Sales Development Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – The hiring process is with three different sales managers. They ask you situational questions (tell me about a time when). From there they have you do sales roleplay. You do the same with each manager and they ask you to implement whatever feedback the previous manager gave you. They look forward to you having a positive can do attitude.

Interview Question – What would you do if you were on the last day and booked no revenue.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, just 36k base salary and you are eligible for commission after you book 75k in revenue.

Interviewed at Yelp

Interview Details – The first interview is a phone screening, be prepared to talk about the advertising product, and to speak about what interests you in the job. The person who is interviewing you is looking to see how well you know their product and how well you can communicate over the phone.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you have failed and how did you recover from it?   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Software Engineering

Interviewed at Yelp

Interview Details – Interviewed from campus recruiting January 2014. One round of Skype interviews and then another in person. Everything went pretty smoothly, the office is really nice. Questions were a bit hard (I worked with javascript, html, css, unix, etc.), but other than that I greatly enjoyed the process. The recruiter didn't return calls very often.

Interview Question – Port of HTTP   View Answer

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!