Yelp Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

I put in an application and got an email back about 2 weeks later asking to set up a 10-15 minute phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. She asked some basic questions about my background and resume. Then we did a short role play. She was a business owner and I had to pretend I worked for Yelp and I was leaving a voicemail to someone I tried to reach two times already. She gave me feedback then I redid the scenario. Afterwards she asked me to come in for an onsite interview in their nyc office. I had three 20 minute interviews. All of them were different role play scenarios so definitely prep yourself for that and study ahead! If you don't you'll struggle because it's a lot of on the spot/think fast type situations.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you almost quit and ended up persevering.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

So after I applied on online, 15 mins later I got an email about a phone call interview. This was the first time a job posting has replied to me so fast, I felt very confident. After the phone interview went well, I was asked to come into the office for a onsite interview.

So I drove an hour an a half into SF and spent near $50 for food,gas and parking for this interview. It was roughly an hour long, 40 mins of actual time spent with question and the rest was just me waiting for these two managers to speak to me. They both worked role playing stuff with me and then it ended with them saying "you obviously meet the requirement for someone in this position, we're excited to even have someone like you interview" then he discussed benefits and salary. We talked about my future here at the company as he walked me out.

All of this and I get an AUTOMATED email 2 days later that said they decided to go with another applicant.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I had a total of 7 interviews. The interviewers were incredibly nice and personable with the exception being one VP. They didn't take notes at all during the process which led to me answering the same question at least 3 times. They make you pay for your own travel and then reimburse you 6 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• How does your background correlate to this specific role?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

1. 15 minutes with HR, non technical, more about what you want to do in the company
    2. 28 minutes technical test
    3. 1h skype, technical questions mostly but not only
    4. 4 interviews on site (45 minutes each)
    Everybody was nice and helpful. I really enjoyed and learned a lot during the process.

Interview Questions

• You have an array with words. Print them by anagrams groups   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

First interview was a phone interview, second was a skype interview with two representatives of the company. The first interview was behavioral, the second was a little behavioral with practice cold calling where they would give a situation, have you model a call, give you feedback, and then have you try again.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Yelp?   Answer Question
    • When was a time you had been rejected or failed at something, what did you do to respond?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY).

Interview

Received an email to get set up for a phone screening. The phone screening was about 20 minutes. Make sure you are familiar with the position and what Yelp does. The interviewer will ask you questions about what you know about the position and the company. She also asked me just some background info about myself about examples of when I've worked on teams and why sales and why Yelp. At the end there is a role play. You have to leave a voicemail for a pizza shop in Brooklyn that has missed your appointment three times. She told me at the end of the interview that I would be moving onto the next round and since I am out of state, it would be conducted over Skype. She gave me about 4 open times and I had to choose one.

The second interview is on Skype. At first, they require you to log onto Skype about 15 minutes before your interview. The recruiting coordinator will give you a call to test out the connection and just say hi and ask if you have any questions before the interview happens. She will give you a quick overview of what the interviews will be like. I met with 2 sales managers and each asked basic questions and then finished with a role play. Make sure you listen to their feedback because they will allow you to do it again and they are looking for you to make the changes they spoke to you about. They were both super cool and easy to talk to so don't be intimidated by them.

2 hours after my interview ended, the recruiter called me saying I had moved on to the next round which is a 20 minute webinar about the career paths and training and also a background check.

Interview Questions

• Describe a typical day as an account executive at Yelp.
      Tell me about a time when you competed for something and didn't get it.
      Role Plays scenarios:
      1. Leave a voicemail for a pizza shop in Brooklyn that has missed your appointment three times.
      2. Sell me Yelp. I am a car repair shop.
      3. You've already met with me and I own a hair salon. I am calling you to let you know that I really enjoyed your presentation, but I am going to advertise in the local newspaper instead. Convince me not to.

Answer Question

Account Executive (Phoenix) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (Phoenix, AZ) in April 2015.

Interview

The first step is the phone interview. It's really about 10 minutes long, just a few questions about you/your background and why you're interested in sales. I read on here that there's supposed to be a roleplay component to the call, but the guy I spoke to never did that with me.

At the end of the phone interview, I was told I was advancing to the next round, which would be a Skype interview because I live out of state. He had me give my availability on the spot and we scheduled it while still on the phone.

During the Skype interview, I spoke with two hiring managers one at a time. They asked about my relevant experience and what skills I thought were most important for this job and why.. Each manager also had me do a brief roleplay. With the first one, I was asked to call a pizza shop and set up an appointment with the owner. I got some feedback and then was asked to redo it.

After that part, I hung up with the first hiring manager and the next one Skype-called me about five minutes later. The first thing he did was to ask me to summarize the feedback I had gotten from the first person I spoke with, so remember not to dismiss all that as soon as you're done with the first hiring manager.

The second hiring manager had me roleplay a conversation with a client who had stalled for time before signing the contract, but eventually decided on advertising through the local newspaper rather than in Yelp. I had to figure out why he wanted to leave and convince him that Yelp could meet his needs, again while incorporating the feedback from the first hiring manager.

After the second roleplay (you get two tries on that one too), the hiring manager talked me through the Sales Development program and how raises/promotions would be allotted over the course of my time with Yelp. Then he asked whether I had any questions, and finally he had me leave the him with one final thought about why I should be hired. That seemed important, so don't check out of the interview as soon as you're done with the roleplay.

The next day I got a call to authorize a background check and schedule a webinar.

Interview Questions

• Imagine I (the interviewer) am a pizza shop owner in Phoenix. How can you get me to agree to a meeting?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Yelp in April 2015.

Interview

Applied on line and received an email about 2 weeks later telling me that they haven't started recruiting yet but when they do they will schedule and interview. Didn't schedule an interview until march which was 3 months later. 1st round was a phone interview for 20 minutes. Super nice and friendly interviewer. 2nd round interview was a skype interview with multiple role plays. Sat on the Skype for 10 minutes waiting for the first interviewer who was not friendly or even nice. Second interviewer was much nicer. It was not an enjoyable hour however.

Interview Questions

• Personality questions and sales role play. Leave a message for someone who has missed your meeting 3 times. Convince me not to go with another advertisement. Sell me anything. What is hard that you wish you could master. Tell me what you have that we want.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Put in an app roughly a month ago. Set up a phone interview within a couple of days and then went smoothly. Were trying to gauge your personality and ask why you are interested in this position. A little bit of background information with 1 role play by just leaving a voicemail to a company.

Next was an in-person interview which occurred about 2 1/2 weeks later. This was a little bit more nerve racking going in but once i stepped in and began talking to them all the butterflies went out because they are so welcoming and nice to you. Asked a couple more personal questions about yourself and why would you make an ideal candidate. Then 1 role play from the first interviewer which asked get to an owner via a receptionist then another from the next interviewer asking you to sell a brand you use.

Main qualities you want to show are your ability to implement feedback, your resilience and your personality.

Account Executive Sales Interview

Application

Interview

Emailed me and offered an introductory phone interview, completed that and was invited to do a Skype interview with 2 separate hiring managers. Invited me for a Skype interview, spoke to the first manager, then waited on hold for 30 minutes and the second manager blew me off. Left me on an open Skype call staring at an empty conference room.

Interview Questions

• Would You be willing to relocate?   1 Answer