Yelp Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2015
1,119 Interview Reviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral with the process taking 2 weeks. HR called to set-up a 20 minute phone screen with a Sales Manager. Phone screen ADVICE: - Have a set answer as with WHY you want to work for Yelp (culture, growth opps, personality is Yelp, make sure you say that you are an avid Yelp user!) - Have a set answer as to WHY you want to work in sales (challenging, rewarding, commission, etc.) - What skills do you have that will make you successful in sales? (coachable, competitive, etc.) - What motivates you, especially in sales/when you are struggling? (commission, fully stocked kitchen, happy hours, the culture, the co-workers.) - Research Yelp. What awards has Yelp received, etc. - Ask questions. In-person ADVICE: You will have 2-3 in-person interviews at the Yelp office. Basically, all the same questions will be asked above during these interviews. You will then have role play. - During role play, don't stress, make it a conversation. - Implement their feedback, and you will do role play again. They are looking to see if you are coachable. - Dress to impress. - Write down their email, send a thank-you note. Webinar If you make it pass the in-person interviews, you will be asked to attend a webinar. An HR recruiter will go thru the training program, and your career path with Yelp. Good news!

Interview Questions

• I am a pizza parlor in Brooklyn. I have never heard of Yelp. Schedule an appointment.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (Chicago, IL).

Interview

There are a minimum of 2 interviews- one over the phone and one either in person or over Skype. The office was awesome, but don't get too excited about the perks at your in person interview - I think that's the reason I didn't get offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for yelp   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

The turn around from the time I submitted my application to the time I was contacted by a recruiter was less than a week. Be sure to tailor your cover letter to Yelp, make it engaging and unboring! The first point of contact was an email to set up a phone screening. They give you at least 3 different time options, so make sure you reply quickly to ensure you get one of your first choices. The phone interview took about 20 mins more or less. The recruiter screens you to see if you're even worth bringing into the office for an in person interview, so be prepared to tell them about your background, why you want to work at Yelp specifically with a sales role. They also leave feedback that will help you in the next process if you get to advance. The in person interview is with two different interviewers at separate times. They mainly ask about challenges you have faced (personal, career, anything) and how you overcame them, how well you take constructive feedback, if you're familiar with Yelp and the expectations of an AE role. In the end they'll conduct a role play to see how comfortable and fluid you'd be in pitching a sale to a potential client. I was lucky to sit with someone who was friendly, not intimidating at all, super approachable so it was easier for me to relax and make the whole interview really conversational. They give feedback on what you can work on then ask you to do it again, so be sure to implement their suggestions.

Interview Questions

• Why should a business owner choose Yelp over advertising in the newspaper?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

The phone interviewer was bubbly and friendly. Told me upfront that she was going to ask me some questions and if we had time she would do a role play scenario.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

Interview

Received a phone interview and was followed with an in-person interview by the director and a manager. The office interview was not too difficult but they are looking for someone who would fit position completely. Give them answers they want. Practice for the role play during interview. Practice the role prior to the interview. Ask a lot of questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe the number one quality necessary for the account executive role   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Applied online, emailed that same day asking me to interview. Had phone interview two days later. The questions were pretty standard, the interviewer was to the point. Very awkward, asked a question, I would answer he would reply "ok next question"

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Received a phone call to set up a phone screen a few days later. Seemed promising at first and lady who interviewed me had a happy attitude but everything that she said about the job was negative. It was like she was trying to talk me out of the job the entire time. Didn't pass on to the in person interviews but it'd be nice to talk to someone who doesn't seem like they hate their job.

Interview Questions

• They line it up in an email. You are asked about the company, the product you need to sell, and what brought you to yelp. They are huge on cold calling and everything mentioned to me was basically how the job sucks so if you can convince them you love being rejected all the time, you are set. The job is, from what i was told, dealing with people who want nothing to do with you so if you can get past the phone screen you most likely have a good chance.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

The first interview was on the phone. Just asked standard interview questions (Why Yelp, have you used Yelp). They tell you at the end of the conversation if you will progress to the next stage of the interview process. This interview was pretty easy. The next interview is usually performed in the office but I lived out of town so it was on Skype. Two people interviewed me. The first person had me complete a role play as if I was calling a pizza place to tell them about Yelp. They give you feedback and you do the role play another time to be sure you implemented the feedback. This part was very difficult - be sure you prepare and know all you can about Yelp's services. The next person just asked me standard questions and allowed me to ask questions. This portion of the interview was just to see if your personality would be a good fit for the job. Lastly, I received an email saying I did a good job in the Skype interview and I was asked to participate in a Webinar that talked about compensation and the job's details. I was so sure that I'd gotten the job at this point but there was yet another phone interview. This one was very laid back - they just wanted to answer any remaining questions I had about the job. I was told that I'd get a call back in about a week so managers could discuss candidates and decide who would continue. Finally got the call back and received the offer. Very very long process for what seemed to be a telemarketer position.

Interview Questions

• I am a Pizza parlor in a college town. Act as if you are calling into the pizza parlor to tell them more about Yelp's services.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

After initial phone screen with a recruiter, I was sent an online hackerrank test to complete in about 20 minutes. Shortly after completing that, I was contacted to schedule a technical phone interview. The interview was great and much more relaxed than some other tech companies. They actually asked about my background and interests which was a nice change. About a week after the technical phone interview, I got invited to come on-site. Onsites consisted of 4 technical 45 minute interviews. If you do well onsite, they will ask you to provide 3 references in the following days. I found out that I got an offer about 2 weeks after my onsite interviews.

Interview Questions

• 1 debugging question, 3 coding questions. Lots about my background and experience.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Yelp (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

First is a phone interview, they don't ask any questions about you or you experience, just your thoughts on how you would do in the role. There is one role play which is pretty simple, you have to show just a little initiative and some retention skills. Then there is the on site interview in which they discuss the role, do some personality tests, and then the dreaded role play. I felt like they expected me to have all of these skills perfectly honed during the interview, in which I got frustrated because I began to feel like my skills I already had weren't good enough. I think it has to do with the person who is interviewing you. But the next day I got a call with an informal offer for my job, and once my background check was cleared, I got the formal offer. I was shocked because I didn't feel like I did very well in the interview.

Interview Questions

• Convince me to visit your favorite restaurant   1 Answer