Yelp

Yelp Interview Questions

Updated Dec 12, 2014
Updated Dec 12, 2014

Junior Account Executive Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

It starts with a short phone screening and a role play. This is followed by a few other interviews, ( mine were Skype) . There are more role plays each round, but the rest of the questions are pretty basic and are just about your background and interest in Yelp.

Interview Questions
    • Role plays, but they coach you through them and really are just seeing if you are competent enough to hold the conversation.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Met them at a college fair and they gave me an interview. First step was an HR session, which was just asking what you think about the company. Next step was a online coding challenge from hacker rank which had 10 minutes to do 12 short answer questions, things like terminal commands, SSL, SQL, and so on. The next part of the coding challenge has a short answer programming question which anyone with some basic programming knowledge should be able to do. Next step was a 1 hour skype interview.

Account Executive Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yelp.

The interview process was pretty straight forward. First I had a phone screen type of interview that was basic. Then a full phone interview, again not too difficult just getting to know me. Then finally a Skype interview that was one hour. There were two role playing scenarios. Know how to talk to a client and pitch the product

Account Manager (Chicago) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in December 2014.

- First contact after applying:
    Was in the form of an email with a really nice recruiter name Lindsay looking to setup a phone interview with another recruiter which will take 15 minutes. She give me three dates to choose from which are all around the 2014 thanksgiving holiday, and send me some info to review about yelp before my interview. I email her back letting her know if it was okay to interview on another date because I was traveling, she said it was best for them also, GREAT. I schedule my interview on the first Monday after Thanksgiving (aka Cyber Monday) @ 3:00pm. In my conformation email it states I will received a call between 3:00 and 3:10 pm by a recruiter name Jayme.
    - The Day of the Interview:
    I got a call from a yelp account manager not the recruiter Jayme at 3:35pm stating she was sorry for the late call because Jayme was off today. That's fine by me I don't care who call once I get to Interview. From the initial instruction you could tell this Account Manager was having a bad day and didn't want to deal with anything or anyone, she would ask me a question and go off and do something else. I would finished answering her question and it will be a delay until she get back on the phone.
    - Why Yelp:
    I applied to be a yelp Account Manager because I'm an Account Executive for a StartUp here in Chicago that utilize Yelp to gain business, and that Yelp was coming to Chicago and was looking to hire 300 people in sales. Giving my 4 years as an Account Manager and 2 years as an Account Executive this would be a great fit. I guess it all happen for a reason because now I have my second interview with Google here in Chicago.

Interview Questions
    • What is Yelp?
      What is it Account Managers do?
      Tell me about yourself?
      Describe a situation that you were in either your academic career or professional career that involved a stressful situation? And describe how you handle that situation?

Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp.

Interview with three different people. Each time you must perform a make believe sales pitch regarding a product of your choice, yelp itslelf. Different behavioral and basic interview questions.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yelp.

Met with recruiter on college fair. Two weeks later, she emailed to have a phone screen. The phone screen was really easy, pretty tested basic knowledge. I was moved on to a phone interview with an engineer. The interviewer asked about me and then moved on to a coding problem. It was not bad.

Account Executive Interview

After sending in my resume I was contacted about 2 weeks later to set up a 20 minute phone interview. During this first interview you are asked basic questions about information sent to you weeks prior and are told immediately after if you'll be interviewed again. The second is either in person or through skipe and you meet with 3 separate people. they ask a variety of typical interview questions as well as role playing setting an appointment with a small business owner to discuss advertising.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you faced challenges and overcame those challenges.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Phone interview is first and then in person/skype interview with three current employees that rotate every 20-30 mins. Overall around an hour and hour and half.. Very fast hiring and interview process all within 2 weeks you will interview and hear back

Interview Questions
    • Phone interview very simple, simple personal questions and ending with one role play with feedback
      In person/skype .. all role-playing and why Yelp? IMPLEMENT FEEDBACK. You don't need to know the right answer as long as you implement feedback

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Overall good experience. During the interview process the sales department has you go through a phone interview and then Skype or in person interview (I'm assuming based on location). During both they give you role play scenarios where you have to cold call someone. It's not hard, but you do have to practice and take their advice seriously.

Interview Questions
    • Call a local business and convince them to subscribe to yelp (the business however doesn't want the product or care about it).   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in December 2014.

Applied on iOS developer position. First step is 15-min phone (Skype) screening with Technical Recruiter. We went through my experience and motivation about working at Yelp. After that she asked about 10 technical questions - algorithms complexity, data structures, nothing much advanced - the same things from others' reviews. I also had opportunity to ask about Yelp and whole recruitment process. In the end of interview she said, that I passed to the next step and we arranged a time for technical 45-min interview.
    Technical interview was 2 days after phone screen. It was Skype video call with Yelp iOS engineer. We've used coderpad.io for online coding exercise, it was anagram-related task. Language of your choice (but they like Python). After my first solution, interviewer asked about its complexity and how we can improve it. There also were a number of simple iOS-related questions. And again it is the time to ask questions about their workflow. Interviewer writes your questions down, so be sure to have some interesting questions to ask :)
    Received rejection email in one week.