Yelp Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in February 2015.

I put in an application and got an email back about 2 weeks later asking to set up a 10-15 minute phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. She asked some basic questions about my background and resume. Then we did a short role play. She was a business owner and I had to pretend I worked for Yelp and I was leaving a voicemail to someone I tried to reach two times already. She gave me feedback then I redid the scenario. Afterwards she asked me to come in for an onsite interview in their nyc office. I had three 20 minute interviews. All of them were different role play scenarios so definitely prep yourself for that and study ahead! If you don't you'll struggle because it's a lot of on the spot/think fast type situations.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you almost quit and ended up persevering.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Yelp.

Received an email to get set up for a phone screening. The phone screening was about 20 minutes. Make sure you are familiar with the position and what Yelp does. The interviewer will ask you questions about what you know about the position and the company. She also asked me just some background info about myself about examples of when I've worked on teams and why sales and why Yelp. At the end there is a role play. You have to leave a voicemail for a pizza shop in Brooklyn that has missed your appointment three times. She told me at the end of the interview that I would be moving onto the next round and since I am out of state, it would be conducted over Skype. She gave me about 4 open times and I had to choose one.

The second interview is on Skype. At first, they require you to log onto Skype about 15 minutes before your interview. The recruiting coordinator will give you a call to test out the connection and just say hi and ask if you have any questions before the interview happens. She will give you a quick overview of what the interviews will be like. I met with 2 sales managers and each asked basic questions and then finished with a role play. Make sure you listen to their feedback because they will allow you to do it again and they are looking for you to make the changes they spoke to you about. They were both super cool and easy to talk to so don't be intimidated by them.

2 hours after my interview ended, the recruiter called me saying I had moved on to the next round which is a 20 minute webinar about the career paths and training and also a background check.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a typical day as an account executive at Yelp.
      Tell me about a time when you competed for something and didn't get it.
      Role Plays scenarios:
      1. Leave a voicemail for a pizza shop in Brooklyn that has missed your appointment three times.
      2. Sell me Yelp. I am a car repair shop.
      3. You've already met with me and I own a hair salon. I am calling you to let you know that I really enjoyed your presentation, but I am going to advertise in the local newspaper instead. Convince me not to.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Yelp.

1. 15 minutes with HR, non technical, more about what you want to do in the company
    2. 28 minutes technical test
    3. 1h skype, technical questions mostly but not only
    4. 4 interviews on site (45 minutes each)
    Everybody was nice and helpful. I really enjoyed and learned a lot during the process.

Interview Questions
    • You have an array with words. Print them by anagrams groups   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Two rounds on the phone. Then on campus for five interviews each about 30 minutes long.

Scheduling and response was very quick. Effortless. The recruiters are a friendly bunch.

Isn't it 30 words already man!

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp.

I applied online, received an invitation to an elite event, chatted with the community manager and marketing assistant for a while and was hired that same night. relaxed setting and no stress questions.

Interview Questions
    • do you have a yelp profile/why do you want to work for yelp.   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Yelp.

First call with list of questions found on every website.
    Second coding problem was little challenging. I was asked two problems. One was on URL Shortening and other was to make one dictionary word from other by flipping only one word at a time.
    cat -> bat -> bet -> bot -> bog -> dog

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

I applied online and arranged a phone interview via email. When the woman called she spoke like an auctioneer and it was pretty clear she was reading from a script. No difficult questions and no follow up questions. I didn't feel she was really listening to me or trying to get to know me. Interview was very rushed and then it was over.

Account Executive Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yelp.

Sent to Yelp through university and previous recruitment because of my background in sales and marketing. I went through the phone interview fairly easy. Went to office in Scottsdale to do interview and did basic role play with rebuttals, but in that, the interviewers were very rude. While the role play and feed back implementation went well, both interviewers treated me disrespectfully, one made a rude comment about my accent, and one said that they had other great candidates to interview while I was still in front of her.

After doing further research, the company has shady practices and very high turnover. They generally will take entry level and people they can mold to what they want. In I employment I chose over Yelp,(I'm making higher base and commission), several current employees left Yelp for the bad attitudes, poor management, and fake coworkers. I would suggest that they focus on attracting and retain highly skilled employees, reshape their interviewing, and improve employee treatment beyond just food and small benefits.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about experience, why yelp, what skills I had to bring to the table, difficult time I had and succeeded, processes I must follow, etc. Very basic experience and BAR statement questions that are quick and easy to answer.   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Submitted an online application and received an invitation to interview with them over the phone. I interviewed with someone who had been with the company for a few years already and I was not impressed by her ability to "sell" the Yelp company to me. I really believe that job interviewing is a two-way street, and I was not at all excited or compelled about working for Yelp. Also, the base pay is ridiculously low (esp. for living in California). I would definitely encourage Yelp to improve its interviewing process and change the way they present themselves, especially if they want high-quality candidates. I decided not to pursue the next round of interviews.

Account Executive Sales Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

I was given a 10 minute time window that a sales rep would call me.

When he did, he introduced himself as someone who, years ago, was in my same position. He then asked me about myself and backgrounds and passions. He also asked me if I ever encountered any difficulties and how I solved it. Other than questions about me, he didn't ask anything else.

Interview Questions
    • What was a challenge you faced and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question