Yelp

596 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Intern Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – I contacted a recruiter and sent my resume to her. I was then contacted with an initial phone screening. Screening had a few behavioural questions (Why yelp, 3 things looking for in an internship etc) and a series of easy technical questions, all of which can be found on glassdoor. I was told immediately at the end of the call that I passed and then moved on to a skype interview. Interviewer was a little unprepared because my original interviewer got pulled for a meeting last minute. She picked some knowledge based questions to ask me based on my resume (sql questions, pros and cons of Java, C, C++). Coding question was a little tricky but if you know your data structures its not hard. They are just looking for the most efficient way to solve the problem. I didnt code the most efficient way but then when asked if I could make it better I thought of a better way and told her. I passed that round and then moved on to two back-to-back skype interviews. First one was tough as it was with a manager. He grilled me on my past experience and asked two technical questions along with a coding question. Second interview went really well with an engineer working under that manager. Asked me a mix of behavioural and technical questions along with a coding question. Im pretty sure I wowed the engineer but not the manager. I got both of the coding questions right. I didnt move on from there though but overall great experience and extremely friendly interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Write a text wrapper function which takes a width in pixels and a String and returns a String with new lines inserted. (You are also given a function which takes a string and gives you a pixel width).   Answer Question
  • Write a function which reverses a linked list.   Answer Question
  • # List of tickets, in the form (origin, destination)
    ORIGINAL_TICKETS = [
      ('CDG', 'DXB'),
      ('DXB', 'HKG'),
      ('HKG', 'HAM'),
    ]
    Write a function which given the original origin, find the final destination. Then write a function that would find both the original origin and final destination with only access to that ticket list. Finally write a function that finds a missing ticket given the original origin and final destination.
      Answer Question

Software Intern Interview

Interviewed at Yelp

Interview Details – Applied online and recruiter has contacted me for phone screening.

Sales Interview

Interviewed at Yelp

Interview Details – Phone Interview.
Lovely interviewer.
20-30 minute call.
Asked why I wanted to be in a high-volume cold calling position.

Interview Question – Asked if I had any questions   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in March 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted recruiter regarding opening. Recruiter was very prompt and courteous in responding. Set up a time for a conversation after perusing resume. Questions:
1) Will OSPF neighbourship take place with different MTU packets
2) BGP states
3) What is Ideal job

Interview Question – How to set up network so no STP is required?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Interviewed at Yelp

Interview Details – The first round is trivial. It's all like a quiz such as the linux command and what's inner join and outer join question. And some behavior like what yelp?

Account Executive Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied on Yelp's Career section and heard back within 6 hours to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was basic and quick. Why Yelp? What is Yelp to you? How would you sell Yelp to a customer/client? After that, I was offered a interview with 3 managers at the San Francisco, CA location.

Due to traveling, I did a skype interview. First and third interviewers were pleasant and conversational. Second interviewer not so much, she seemed disinterested and didn't really provide feedback. More or less it was a "why didn't you do this, ask that" type of feedback. Not quite sure how that was supposed to help me, but okay.

Each interview entailed a mock phone call. Get past the "gatekeeper" and make an appointment, close the sale, and convince a client that Yelp is better than another form of advertising they chose.

Interview Question – Mock phone calls were a bit tricky, but nothing to difficult.   View Answer

Sales Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – Initial contact was through email and because I was abroad entire process was done over phone. Process lasted about 3 weeks and included 2 phone interviews- one basic standard questions, one was with 3 different people, 2 of which were role playing, and the third of which was discussing a prompt they sent to me via email weeks prior.

Interview Question – Find out everything you can about the restaurant industry.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I have another offer currently and I am not sure if sales is for me.

Account Executive Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – Talked with a recruiter, then on campus interview (which ended up being rescheduled for over the phone because the weather was horrible outside). then Skype interview with 3 managers.
The phone interview seemed super casual and not comparable to any other phone interview ive had. It was more like a casual conversation (however, I had friends who interviewed as well and said their phone interview was more "interview" like)
the skype interview was so rediculous. I waited 25 minutes on skype and they seemed so unprepared. One manager i could tell had her cell phone in her lap the whole time, had absolutely no eye contact and yawned! they made me role play to try and get an appt (manager who made me do that was super rude given the fact that I told her I had minimum sales experience, given this is an entry level position)
I also had to try to sell a product I believe in.

Interview Question – what is something that your friends and family would say about you that you don't think is true?   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yelp in April 2014.

Interview Details – I got contacted via a resume drop after a forum on campus about Big Data that a Yelp Representative attended. I got contacted by a recruiter about 6 months after the event - which totally worked out for me. I was contacted Sunday night, and had my phone interview that Tuesday. It was 25 minutes, and the recruiter just asked me if I had experience in a variety of platforms (did I have experience with Android for instance), what languages I was most comfortable with, etc. Then she asked me rapid-fire random tech questions - spanning random Unix knowledge/SQL etc, as well as basic byte trivia and some quick algorithm trivia, as well as pretty specific internet protocol stuff. At the end of the interview, she told me I had done well, that I was going on to the next round, which would be a 45 minute coding interview over Skype. I haven't had that next interview yet- but here's hoping!

Interview Question – What is SSL and what is it used for?   Answer Question

IT Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Yelp in March 2014.

Interview Details – Found their job posting online and got an email from their recruiter for a phone interview. So I scheduled a phone interview with him the following week. First thing I notice during a conversation was he sounded like a kid on the phone. He ask a few questions about my current position and why I am searching for a new job. He than gets to a list of technical questions that he know nothing about. Reading off a list of questions and matching the answers. So I'm dealing with a non technical person who asking me technical questions and not understanding my technical answers but just looking for the correct answer off his sheet. As I see it, he has a power trip and feels that he controls my possibility and opportunity to work at Yelp. And he does. But there are hundreds of companies in the bay area so I will move on.

Interview Question – N/A   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Yelp

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!

Yelp Videos

Yelp – Why Work for Us?

Yelp (NYSE: YELP) connects people with great local businesses. Yelp was founded in San Francisco in July 2004. Since then, Yelp communities have taken root in major metros across the US, Canada, UK, Ireland, France… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yelp interview questions and advice. All 596 interview reviews posted anonymously by Yelp employees and interview candidates.