Yelp Community Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 13, 2015

2.5

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp in January 2015.

Interview

After applying online received an email request for a phone interview with the Regional Manager. The first phone interview was casual and seemed to be she was gathering information on my background, interests and fit for position. Was then contacted by a Community Manager of another state for a Skype interview. More in-depth questions but kind of quick and casual. Both were very friendly and didn't ask anything that was difficult to answer.

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Sent my resumé and cover letter, received an email several days later requesting a phone conference. Talked with Regional Marketing Director on the phone and then in person several days later. Completed a writing test (sample newsletter) and had a video conference with the VP of North American Marketing. Received an email several days later stating that another candidate was selected.

Interview Questions

• I was asked what events I've thought about holding for Elites. I hadn't been asked to brainstorm on this beforehand, so I was caught a bit off-guard.   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

I applied online through LinkedIn. Within a day or two, I had a request for a phone interview the following week. The phone interview was easy going, and I felt it was about verifying I was who I said I was in my cover letter and resume. My cover letter was a hit, and probably got me the first interview. I was asked to interview in person within two weeks with a regional director who traveled to our city. This interview was in a local restaurant, and was also fairly easy going, and included the current CM. I came very prepared and even provided questions and answers they had not considered. I was asked to attend an elite event for that happened to be the next day, late that evening by email. After the elite event, I was scheduled for a skype interview with another higher up (VP of Marketing, I believe) the following week. That interview was not as easy going, and included questions about my city, my experience in my current position, and what I would do for my first elite event as CM. The process slowed a bit here - one week of decision making, then another week with decision makers on vacation. Three days into the following week (approx 2.5 weeks later), I received an email stating they had offered the position to someone else. Over all this was a in depth, pleasant experience which I felt was very relevant for the position.

Interview Questions

• How do you go about Marketing yourself? How would you go about connecting the community? What would be your first elite event? What books have you read lately? If you could do anything, and money was no object, what would you do?   1 Answer

Community Manager Interview

Interview

The process will take a few rounds of interviews with a regional director and perhaps another. My experience involved a conversational interview with questions about how I see myself working in the position and what I might want to contribute. General questions like how my past positions will help me reach my goals, etc. The hiring process depends on how quickly they are looking to fill the position. My position was an immediate hire.

Interview Questions

• Honestly, I felt like all the questions were typical expected questions. If you're not a good writer, you might want to brush up on your Yelpy writing skills, because you'll need to pass a writing test.   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (Melbourne (Australia)) in August 2015.

Interview

Terrible interview with a woman who has little understanding of marketing or community management. Claimed Yelp "invented digital community and community management." Entire interview focused on questions about where I liked to eat and go. The PD was for a Community Manager but the way the role was described was for an Events Manager.

Interview Questions

• Where do you like to eat, who has the best coffee, where do you go on the weekends, what are your favourite cafes.   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

I interviewed with a lot of overly enthusiastic ladies for this role. After a painful 6 week process of background checks, samples, 5 phone interviews, 2 face to face interviews I was flown into another country for a final interview with one of the 'higher ups'. The whole process was painfully unprofessional. It was more like a 'ladies who fly 8 hours to meet with two other ladies for shopping, drinking, gossiping, and brunch' vibe. It felt very high school and people seem to try to impress each other within the company. After a day of fake-socializing with these people, I FINALLY got an offer (without an official contract or offer letter) on the phone the next day. Then they sent me an 'offer' which was just 4 bullet points in a casual email. I said I would get back to them as there were barely any benefits. I emailed them back asking for a slightly higher salary since the the benefits were less than what I was currently getting. Then, I didn't hear back from them in a WEEK! I called this lady who gave me the offer and she said that they retracted their offer because "they were upset" that I "wasn't being straightforward". So... dancing around town drinking, brunching, gossiping, and shopping with a potential colleague is straightforward and professional and simple and reasonable negotiations about salary/benefit is not?

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Submitted my resume online. 1-2 weeks later, I received a call requesting an interview. Met with the interviewer and had a great conversation covering all of the topics relevant to the position. Probably one of the best and most fun interviews I've ever participated in.

Interview Questions

• How would I go about engaging businesses in the community?   1 Answer

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp in April 2012.

Interview

Applied online and had a half hour phone interview. Several days later, I had an in person interview. I was told I'd get to do a writing test as the next part in the process, but then was told I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• Who do you think Yelp could partner with in the community? Why are you leaving your current job? Have you ever worked from home before? What interests you about this position? Tell me about events you've organized. What's your current salary?   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Yelp in November 2011.

Interview

After responding to an ad and applying, I had a brief phone interview. The manager I spoke to couldn't really answer my questions about their business model, but was very willing to listen to me talk about my relevant experience. The presentation consisted of a sample Weekly Yelp newsletter. I didn't hear any feedback besides a call back for an in-person interview. The interview seemed like it was going well, but it was really just a pleasant chat. The interviewer would digress onto tangents and it took a little work for me to keep track of and return to my original point. I had to pry and fish for very basic info about what the job is like week-to-week. I believe I was only asked two actual questions, both about the city. I got no feedback about my newsletter or indication if my Yelping to date was sufficient. Almost instantly I heard another candidate was chosen. It is hard to say whether or not this was a difficult process- the writing was easy but not knowing what exactly they were looking for made for a lot of uncertainty.

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp in March 2011.

Interview

I had two phone interviews about a week a part, an in-person interview a couple weeks later, and then a final phone interview with a senior level executive. I also had to submit a writing sample (which was actually fun!). There was a strong emphasis on my marketing skills and my personality, as well as my writing strengths. Everyone I interviewed with was pleasant and asked suitable, appropriate questions for the job at hand.

Interview Questions

• I don't know. There weren't any difficult or unexpected questions. Sorry.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Short and sweet. Took only about a day or so to work with the numbers. We met in the middle. I was satisfied.