Yelp

Average Difficulty
673 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Account Executive

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an email a few days later saying they wanted to set up a phone interview with me. I went through the phone interview and they basically wanted a little introduction about myself, why I was interested in Yelp and standard screening questions of that sort. They also had me role play with them to see how the tone of my voice was when speaking to potential clients as well as how I would be at cold calling. I ended up passing the phone interview and moved on to the on-site interview. The interview consisted of three different people in three sessions so basically three interviews in about an hour. Each interview was similar, a role play at the end and just a screening in the beginning to see why you would want to do cold call sales. I never had to sell a product as previously mentioned although I was ready for it! After the interview, a few days later I was contacted saying that they were moving on with more qualified applicants.

Interview Question – Why would you want to do cold call sales if the success rate of closing a deal is only like 20%?   Answer Question

Sales Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Sales Recruiting Coordinator

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – To be honest, I was disappointed at the way my interview process was handled. I got a call from a recruiter over 6 weeks after I had submitted an application. With nothing to lose, I decided to schedule a telephone interview to see where this would go. The interview went well and the interviewer gave me positive feedback and told me that they would be in contact with me within 2 weeks to schedule when to take the next steps.

It was 4 days past 2 weeks and I still did not hear back from them. I followed up once. And then again 2 days after my follow up. I finally got a response saying that they are deciding not to move forward with me.

I'm not at all bothered by the fact that there were other candidates more suitable for the positions. I was mostly turned off by the lack of follow up. I do feel like this procedure could be improved for future candidates. Whether or not you move forward with them, I recommend the courtesy of sticking to your word. When you say you'll follow up within a certain amount of time, then do it.

Associate Account Executive Interview

Associate Account Executive

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted for an interview the next day. I was contacted to set up an over the phone interview. Questions were basic, and kind of asked in rapid fire. Also had trouble hearing due to the noise in the background of the office.

Interview Question – What would you say in a voice message for a prospective lead who won't answer your calls or seems uninterested?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interviewed at Yelp

Interview Details – Make sure you know a lot about the company. They ask several questions about your knowledge of the position and they request that you research. Make sure you know a lot about the company. They ask several questions about your knowledge of the position and they request that you research.

Interview Question – What do you know about the position?   Answer Question

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online - interviewed at Yelp in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted the next day to have a phone interview. The HR rep emailed me about 5 links of videos and articles on Yelp that I needed to watch/ read before the interview.

The phone interview lated 7 minutes and was basically just to see if I looked at the info I was sent. The interviewer only ask me 1 question about myself- if i was currently employed. I kept the articles they sent me open during the interview and basically just repeated the info back to them. Easiest interview ever. She asked me to do a Skype call at the end.

In the Skype call I was asked a few questions about myself and had to do 2 role plays. During the role plays they expected me to do them perfectly and criticized me after because I didn't ask the right questions. Isn't that what training is for??? I believe Yelp is only looking for people they don't have to train at all or train very little. The turnover seems ridiculously high.

After that I was emailed that I didn't get the job- not a big surprise.

Interview Question – Role play   Answer Question

Back-end Software Engineer Interview

Back-end Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – Contacted via angellist and initial HR screen interview which is routine.
Then 45 min skype interview with a back end software engineer:
It started of with the introduction of both persons and respective exciting projects in their career.
The interviewer asked few questions like: 1) What would you like to change in Yelp
2) What you know about Yelp?
Then in two days received reject email.

Interview Question – Given
{
//"Restaurant Types"."[categoryNames]"
"American" : "[Burger, French fries, Potato Chips]",
"Italian":"[Pizza,Bread Sticks, Potato Chips]"
}
Assume this kind of data is given as input and loaded into your choice of Data Structure.
Using Category name return the no of resturarnt type. Ex: if i/p is Potato Chips, O/P should be : 2 (American and Italian).

Please mention your Data structure and logic.
  Answer Question

AE Interview

AE
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – You will meet with 3 managers. They are interviewing often throughout the week and so don't put too much pressure on yourself. Basically just show you have a personality and that you are confident you can do the job. Recruiters have quotas too.

Interview Question – The better you are at thinking on your feet the more you prove you deserve the job. So I'm not going to give you this one.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. You are paid what you're paid and if you keep pushing you make commission.

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – The interview process seemed to move quite quickly a few days after I applied I was emailed about a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 15 minutes. Reviewing the material the human resources rep sent before hand really helped. They asked "Why Yelp?" and asked me to do a role play. The role play was leaving a voicemail for a client that has been missing previous appointments. I was asked to come in to the office for an in person interview. The in person interview was a panel interview. I was put into a small room and the interviewers roasted in. Some of the questions they asked me was "what is the hardest thing you have done recently?" "What's the difference between the current company you worked for and Yelp." "Tell me about me about a time where you really messed something up at work?" Each interviewer asked me to do a role play. They interview lasted about an hour.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you screwed something up?   Answer Question

Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Yelp in June 2014.

Interview Details – Interview was very basic. The HR person told me a little bit about the position, then asked me how I operate day-to-day at my current job. Since I am currently in a Sales position, she immediately told me I should try their Account Executive position and not Account Manager. She was a bit disappointed when I said I was not looking to continue in sales if I wanted to move to another company. She then went into salary and asked me to tell her a bit about what I currently earn, which I found to be very odd. Once she learned that I am currently earning more, she cut the interview short and did not want to continue.

Interview Question – How do you organize your daily activities?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Yelp

Interview Details – They were so nice and want to see your personality. They ask a lot of the interview questions you hear in other interviews but add their own Yelp flavor. They do a mock phone call with you that you should try to prepare for.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question