Yelp Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015
1,112 Interview Reviews

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

Role Playing and Basic interview questions. I was told to pretend to call a manager of a salon and leave a voicemail after three other attempts to reach him/her. They gave me feed back and then i had a skype session. Two people. There was a 25 minute break in between interviews. it was off-putting.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when you have grown bored of your work?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp in August 2015.

Interview

Overall it was a waste of time for me. First phone call with recruiter where they asked the standard 15 questions..I am glad I looked it up because I do not remember the full form of SSH! Skype interview was rescheduled 2 times from their end, once just 30 mins before the interview..Skype didnt work well so ended up doing it on phone. Interviewer asked a LOT of questions about databases..why is it slow? how do you make it fast etc..and I tried to answer as best as I could

Interview Questions

• Anagram question..I implemented the std answer using hashtable..Interviewer said he didn't care about space complexity and asked me to come up with another answer. I implemented a solution using 26*n char count array ..he seemed happy..but i didnt get an onsite   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp in August 2015.

Interview

Terrible experience. Started with tell me about your project. I told one. He: "You know you applied for search and data mining" (As I said my current company project - not into big data company yet) Apparently he didnt look at my whole resume which says academic experience in MapReduce/Machine Learning/IR. Any how, - 10 min. Tell me how would you improve Yelp after joining, what project you wanna tackle on to add new feature blah balh. So I described my idea - thank goodness I thought of that earlier otherwise who's gonna come up with "improving" rather than expecting normal interview que. Any how he carelessly listened that. Had discussion. Then more two que on that 1) How would you test it 2) How would you measure as in should we keep your application on or just take it back - no one is using. So by this time we had 15 min left for "real" technical round. Then he asked SAME que which someone posted here : Find longest palindromic substring. Again i was knowing the que. I described solution. 10 min left. Unfortunately I mistypes some stuff, as I didnt "mug up" solution. Hence it didnt pass all the test case in 5 min. WTF.

Interview Questions

• Find longest palindromic substring   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Sent in my resume and was asked for a phone interview. The interviewer seemed like she didn't care about the process at all and a little annoyed to be talking to me.

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yelp (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

I applied online to the Phoenix office and had a phone interview with an HR person and then was invited to do a Skype interview (I was not located in the area) with 2 managers which focused on role plays

Interview Questions

• What do you think will be the biggest challenge in this position?   Answer Question
    • Role Plays: sell us YELP advertising; introduce yourself; get yourself to the owner   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Short 15 minute phone call, followed by a longer skype or in-person interview, followed by a webinar and a follow-up phone call from a hiring manager. Lots of role play in the second interview. Very helpful coaching from the hiring managers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about something you enjoy that's really challenging.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Sent in my resume, and recruiter emailed me within a day or two to set up a phone interview. Phone interview will last about 15 mins. Questions like: Your background history, why Yelp. After the phone interview I was invited for an office interview where you will interview with 2 people. Each interview will last 20 mins. You will interview with 2 Account Managers. You will be given a tour of the office space. It is a call center. Keep this in mind. They will be upfront and tell you that you will be making 80 to 100 calls a day. Being on the phone for 2 to 3 hours a day total time. The interview is simple, just talk about your background, and how your previous/current position will benefit you with yelp. They will then give you the role play questions that everyone seems to be posting. 1. The pizza owner scenario (trying to talk to the owner) 2. The business owner scenario that decided to advertise in the local newspaper(trying to understand why, and also set up a meeting) After the interview, you will have time to ask them a couple of questions. Before you waste their time and yours, ask yourself, Do I want to be on the phone all day? Don't get me wrong, the perks are nice, and can really be a good resume builder. But if you're not up for being on the phones all day, then this may not be the position for you.

Interview Questions

• What was one failure that you had, and what did you do about it?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

First round Skype interview, an engineer firstly talk with your projects and ask questions about your projects and related technical definitions. Then is a 30min technical question. Cause the program will be complex to implement. I mainly wrote sudo code and introduce my thinking. After one day I am noticed I passed and could attend the second Skype interview.

Interview Questions

• What is SSL? Return all words in the list with the prefix that user searched for. And without traverse the list every time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

First, you must pass a simple phone interview. Next, they will schedule either an in-person or a Skype interview that will be more challenging and will involve some role play to test your ability to sell and to see how you sound on the phone.

Interview Questions

• Convince the owner of a pizza place to advertise with yelp.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

I applied online and the process took roughly about 2 weeks. First they email you and let you know if your application was approved and then they schedule a phone interview. I was expecting so much more for the phone interview since most reviews here kinda made it sound intense. I definitely over prepared but it's always better to be safe than sorry. Then I moved onto the in person interview. Beautiful building, but essentially it's a call center. Making 80+ calls a day basically selling ad packages. If you're into that then this position is for you. When they gave us a tour the employees looked slightly worn out. Asked if it was possible to eventually work in other positions within Yelp, and was told it wasn't really possible. Whatever you do it's basically sales related.

Interview Questions

• Why sales? Why Yelp? Describe a time you had to compete. What's a challenge you might face in this position and how might you make that a positive? Sell Yelp.   Answer Question