Yelp

Yelp Interview Questions

Updated Feb 27, 2015
Updated Feb 27, 2015

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yelp.

First, I had a phone interview where they asked basic behavioral questions. We also had a basic role play. The interviewer was very nice and engaging. She told me on the phone that I was going to have a second round interview. The second round interview was in person and I had two role plays with two different people. I was asked to try to pitch Yelp to the person. It was very important to implement the feedback from the first interviewer. Then I attended a webinar

Interview Questions
    • Role play question - leave a voicemail for a business   View Answer

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Phone interview first. There was a scheduling error on their end day of, which was quite frustrating since I didn't plan to clear out my entire day just to wait for their call, and they just assumed I'd be available. That being said, the actual interview itself was fine. The interviewer was nice and engaging. She told me at the end of the interview that I had made it to the next round, which turned out to be 2 sales managers interviewing me in person at the location in SF.

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Phone interview that was about 15 minutes long. The questions were typical interview questions for the most part. At the end, there was a role-play scenario that involved leaving a voice message for a pizza business that had been avoiding your calls. The person who interviewed me was rude and did not seem to know what they were doing.

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yelp.

Interview process was very welcoming, prompt and interesting.
    1. A phone interview with a recruiter asking the question (that apparently) you can find here.
    2. A Skype interview, telling about yourself for 20-30 minutes + technical part for 20-30 minutes.
    3. An onsite interview, 4 session of ~55 minutes each (5 minutes brake between each interview).
    You are interviewing for a specific group, 3 team members in that group and a manager.

The process in overall was the best one I have had out of many interviews for all famous companies.
    Yelp seems like a great company with a promising future, and still you get having
    a lot of impact comparing to other big companies.

Interview Questions
    • Very specific questions related to the team you are interviewing for.
      Trees, hashes, sets, searching algorithms, big data, and in general, thinking outside the box.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yelp.

The process goes like this:

-Submit resume
    -Initial phone screen - "Who are you and why do you want to work for Yelp?"
    -Online coding challenge
    -45 minute technical Skype interview
    -Two back-to-back Skype technical interviews, each 1 hour, with a manager and a senior software engineer
    -Then if you're lucky at this point you'll get an offer, but I wasn't as lucky.

Interview Questions
    • Initial phone screen: CS trivia, all of which can be found here.   Answer Question
    • Online coding challenge: You have a dataset in a plain text file, and you basically have to data-structure-ize it, and sort it.   Answer Question
    • First Skype interview: You have a user-submitted review (basically just a paragraph of 5ish sentences). Design and write an algorithm to break up the review into sentences, and put it in a list/array data structure. (The goal of this question, I think, was to see how you can cleverly figure out how to deal with non-standard punctuation)   Answer Question
    • Final round Skype interview 1: Parsing, data-structure-izing, and drawing conclusions from a large dataset in a plain text file. (The interviewer told me that the problem he had me solve was a real problem the engineering team encountered a few weeks back)   Answer Question
    • Final round Skype interview 2: (1) He gave me a segment of Javascript code and asked me what it does. It was a trick question because it doesn't actually do what it seems to do. (2) You're told to make an image slideshow from a bunch of URLs in a MySQL database. Talk through how you would design the backend and frontend to do this. (3) Categorize a list of words into its anagrams (see other Glassdoor reviews for this question)   Answer Question

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yelp.

I applied online and a recruiting team immediately reached out to me via e-mail letting me know that my application was approved by the team and that they wanted to do a 15 minute interview with me on the phone. They gave me some options of when I could do the 15 minute interview but I chose the earliest one possible to get the ball rolling ASAP. The phone interview is very casual and basically just asks you why you want the job, what you know about position you're applying for, what is your background, etc.

After the phone interview, an in-person interview follows (if they like your phone interview, of course) which typically lasts for 45 minutes to 1 hour but mine lasted for a little bit over an hour. Mine was scheduled 2 days after the phone interview because that was the soonest they had available. Don't worry! If you're out of state or for some reason not able to go to their local office, they are very flexible and actually accommodate everyone with a Skype interview which is what I did. This portion of the interview process is the hardest and most difficult (if you're not prepared). The night before my interview, I didn't get a wink of sleep because of anxiety. About 5-10 minutes before the actual interview, someone will call you to make sure you're properly connected to their skype and that everything is good to go. Unlike what I had expected, I only had 2 interviewers instead of 3. This actually made more sense to me. It made it more concise and to the point.

My interviewers were very personable and nice so it made a lot easier to be myself around them. Like I said above, this part of the interview process can either really kick your butt or separate you from the rest of the candidates because it's mostly role play. They want to know how you can perform in a cold calling setting and then implement feedback. The most important thing to remember is to never take no for an answer and keep being persistent. Also, close the deal!! Sometimes you can get caught up with trying to sell your product that you end up not closing the deal and setting up an appointment with the store owner. I highly advice everyone to do a lot of role plays with a friend or family. This really helped me prepare and kill some nerves.

After the in person interview they won't tell you anything definitive. They'll say that the recruiting team will reach out to you for more information. I received an e-mail the next day from the recruiting team to get my background check done and also to set up a date for a webinar that will detail the training program and compensation potential within the company. Tomorrow is my webinar date so I'm excited to see what it's all about. I am still not sure if I got the job or not because this is technically still part of the interview process but I have a good feeling that I wouldn't have gone this far if they didn't see a potential in me. :)

Interview Questions
    • What is the one thing you wanted to give up on but decided to stick to in the end.   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Started with an online application followed by a phone interview. Then Skype interview for an hour. The interviewer was super friendly. I got stuck couple of times but he patiently guide me through the technical questions dropping multiple hints every now and then. Ultimately no offer but overall great experience.

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Pretty easy overall. Very nice interviewer, and got an offer at the end of the phone conversation to move on to the next round (skype) Asked aboue sales background, and a difficult situation.

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yelp.

Not much to say because it was so easy - 2 interviews, one on Skype, one webinar, one phone role play. No in person interview which was great. I was a referral.

Interview Questions
    There was none. Salary as is.

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

I was contacted for an interview about 2 weeks after I applied for the position and I am really impressed with this company. If they were build a headquarters in Texas I would most definitely work for this company.

Out of State