Yelp Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014
Updated Oct 16, 2014

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in October 2014.

Very straightforward. Applied online, took a test, and then got a 15 min interview. Overall the experience was pleasant and fun. Spoke to someone in the Phoenix office and she was very knowledgeable. You are expected to do your research beforehand so that you can answer all the questions about the company.

UI Designer - New Grad Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Contacted via email from an obvious highly used templated response from a generic person who offered no title. In this email they provide you with the next steps: a design test. (cough cough - spec work). They ask you nicely not to post any of your work anywhere, but do not have you sign an nda. Design test ask you to redesign either a web flow or mobile flow. You have just less than a week to complete. After returning my package to the generic person at yelp, again a receive a non-human reply that states it has been received and will be passed along to the review team and should hear back within a week or so. One week later, non-human reply that states either you are a match or not.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

The application process took a few weeks. After that I received my first phone interview. It was 10-15 minutes long asking about your knowledge about Yelp and why you want to work there. At the end we did a role play which I wasn't expecting.

Interview Questions
    • Hint- In the role play you have to sell Yelp to a customer, but spoiler alert *they don't want to buy it.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Yelp.

The interview process was great. You are given amazing feedback and all interviews make you feel like they want you to succeed. The questions make you think. I really enjoyed the interview process and felt challenged but treated fair. Definitely seems like an amazing company just from the interview.

Associate Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Applied online and took about a month to hear back. The phone interviewer was terrible as she had no idea what she was doing and was not prepared at all. I read the other reviews and thought they were abnormal cases, but my experience was just as terrible as everyone else's on this page. Unorganized, not interested, late to call etc.

Account Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

The questions were very basic. Fast turnaround time. Hardest question was "what would you do if someone wanted to cancel?" I would imagine that they would offer training to answer this.

Interview Questions
    • What would you say if the clingy wanted to cancel?   View Answer

Seemed like they were just interested in sales!

User Operations Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Submitted online application for User Ops Associate role and was emailed to set up a phone interview about a week later. Phone interview was quick and easy, and was invited to an in-house interview at SF headquarters for later that week. The in-person interview was about an hour and a half long. For the first half, I was interviewed by 4 people in the User Ops department (on various teams), at one time. It wasn't overwhelming at all even though it was a panel of interviewers, they were very pleasant and receptive of my answers, not intimidating. The questions were pretty straightforward, they were genuinely interested in my past work experience so that kept the conversation going strong. That lasted about a half hour, then I took a 40 minute test on a laptop that I was warned about beforehand. They told me how to study for it prior to the interview, and I could also use the internet during the test to help with answers. It was pretty easy, you just need to be able to communicate with users and business owners and look at the big picture. If diplomatic communication is not your strong suit, then the User Ops position is probably not the best fit.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something about yourself that I don't know now, but may know in 6 months.   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yelp.

I received an email from a recruiter to set up a phone screen. I never received a phone call, so I reached out but no response. The next day the recruiter apologized and rescheduled. After we spoke I was invited to come in for an in-person interview. The recruiters we very friendly and informative. I was invited back for another in-person the following week. Same thing. A few days later, I was invited to Skype with the manager. After that I was invited for ANOTHER Skype with the head of the department. A few days later I received a link to complete a background check. A few days later I was notified that the background check was complete and I had passed. About a week later and I had not heard from the team. I reached out looking for a response and they said they have not made a decision. Another week went by and the same thing. It took about 3 weeks for them to send me a standard rejection letter after I called and emailed multiple times. I was extremely disappointed because of the extensive interviewing process. No explanation and no apologies. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, just many interviews repeating the same questions.   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

I received an email asking to do a preliminary phone interview and we scheduled it for the following day. I spoke to a male but right away, the conversation felt VERY rushed and he didn't seem very personable. I know I'm the one being interviewed but I personally don't like when interviews feel rushed and unimportant. He just asked me basic questions about my knowledge of the company and the services they offer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing in particular but like I said, it felt very rushed.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yelp.

I was struggling looking for a post-college job so my friend who works at Yelp mentioned this position and sent me a referral invite. I've never had experience with Sales but hey it would be a great experience and the culture is pretty awesome for someone in their early 20's.

Details:
    Took an assessment which was pretty straight forward and then moved on to a phone screen. That was pretty simple too, just have to be able to hold up a conversation. Then got to the on site interview. This for me was pretty tough, they put you in role playing situations and you have to be able to think on your toes and be personable.

While I didn't get the job, I have to appreciate how relatively quick they made the whole process

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you were able to convince someone of something   Answer Question