Yelp Interview Questions

Updated Sep 17, 2014
Updated Sep 17, 2014

User Operations Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Yelp.

Submitted online application for User Ops Associate role and was emailed to set up a phone interview about a week later. Phone interview was quick and easy, and was invited to an in-house interview at SF headquarters for later that week. The in-person interview was about an hour and a half long. For the first half, I was interviewed by 4 people in the User Ops department (on various teams), at one time. It wasn't overwhelming at all even though it was a panel of interviewers, they were very pleasant and receptive of my answers, not intimidating. The questions were pretty straightforward, they were genuinely interested in my past work experience so that kept the conversation going strong. That lasted about a half hour, then I took a 40 minute test on a laptop that I was warned about beforehand. They told me how to study for it prior to the interview, and I could also use the internet during the test to help with answers. It was pretty easy, you just need to be able to communicate with users and business owners and look at the big picture. If diplomatic communication is not your strong suit, then the User Ops position is probably not the best fit.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something about yourself that I don't know now, but may know in 6 months.   Answer Question

Account Executive Sales Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp in December 2013.

The interview process started with a pre-interview phone call which was easy and included basic interview questions. A few days later I had an extremely tough Skype interview that included role-play. I was excited and ready to take on the challenge.

One woman introduced herself, talked about the position and then left the room. The next woman came in and asked me why i wanted to the job and then asked me to role play. She gave me feedback and left the room. The next woman came in and went through the same process including role play. The last woman came in and role played with me again. She went over my mistakes and the interview ended. I made a few mistakes due to being nervous and I didn't receive an offer. It is clear that this company is looking for perfection.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Yelp.

I received an email from a recruiter to set up a phone screen. I never received a phone call, so I reached out but no response. The next day the recruiter apologized and rescheduled. After we spoke I was invited to come in for an in-person interview. The recruiters we very friendly and informative. I was invited back for another in-person the following week. Same thing. A few days later, I was invited to Skype with the manager. After that I was invited for ANOTHER Skype with the head of the department. A few days later I received a link to complete a background check. A few days later I was notified that the background check was complete and I had passed. About a week later and I had not heard from the team. I reached out looking for a response and they said they have not made a decision. Another week went by and the same thing. It took about 3 weeks for them to send me a standard rejection letter after I called and emailed multiple times. I was extremely disappointed because of the extensive interviewing process. No explanation and no apologies. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, just many interviews repeating the same questions.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yelp in August 2014.

Submitted my resume/cover letter online, and received an email the next day looking to set up a phone interview, as well as a list of sites/pages they wanted me to visit before the interview. One week later, I spoke with an account manager for about fifteen minutes (they asked questions about the specific items they sent to make sure I had prepared).

Two days later, they sent me a email asking to set up a Skype interview (I was out of the state, and not able to come to visit the office in person). The Skype interview consisted of two separate interviews; one with a manager for the position and the other with a training manager. These interviews were fairly similar: they described what they're organization responsibilities were, as well as how/when they joined Yelp. They then asked me questions about my self (How do you organize/plan your day? How do you handle having a bad day? etc.), and then had me do a role play with them where they played a customer who was unsatisfied with the services Yelp was providing them, and were looking to cancel. They were looking for me to a) ask them questions until you can ascertain what the real problem is that they have with Yelp and b) make sure that they don't hang up with the intention of dropping Yelp. These weren't especially tricky; just be confident and make sure to be positive with the customer. The business owners this position deals with are all small business owners, so their business is their life. Being understanding when they have issues and are upset would be a requirement for the job, so make sure to be empathetic while not dwelling on failure. Try to direct their attention to the positive aspects of the advertisement Yelp is providing, and end the call on a positive note!

They sent me an email the next day asking to set up another Skype interview, this time with one of the associate directors of the program. The interview had the same format as the previous Skype interview, and having that experience in hand was really helpful. If I was going to restart the hiring process with Yelp, I would make sure to practice role-playing scenarios with a friend/family member to work on articulating ideas and communicating effectively. After we finished the interview, the interviewer told me about the timeline for when I would hear back (she said between 1-3 business days). It took less than three hours before I got a call from their HR rep unofficially offering me the job!

Interview Questions
    • Role play: They are a small business owner who is very upset, and is looking to cancel their Yelp advertising after a negative review.   Answer Question
    Not very negotiable on salary/benefits.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Yelp.

I received an email asking to do a preliminary phone interview and we scheduled it for the following day. I spoke to a male but right away, the conversation felt VERY rushed and he didn't seem very personable. I know I'm the one being interviewed but I personally don't like when interviews feel rushed and unimportant. He just asked me basic questions about my knowledge of the company and the services they offer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing in particular but like I said, it felt very rushed.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Yelp.

I was struggling looking for a post-college job so my friend who works at Yelp mentioned this position and sent me a referral invite. I've never had experience with Sales but hey it would be a great experience and the culture is pretty awesome for someone in their early 20's.

Details:
    Took an assessment which was pretty straight forward and then moved on to a phone screen. That was pretty simple too, just have to be able to hold up a conversation. Then got to the on site interview. This for me was pretty tough, they put you in role playing situations and you have to be able to think on your toes and be personable.

While I didn't get the job, I have to appreciate how relatively quick they made the whole process

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you were able to convince someone of something   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

First interview is a phone one. Be prepared for a role playing exercise and perhaps some questions about your biggest success or failure so far. Be confident during this interview and you should make it to round 2.

Interview Questions
    • None really. It's a straightforward process if you've ever done a cold call or been in sales. If you haven't, your best bet is to act more aggressive than usual and don't take no for answer during the interview process.   Answer Question

Compensation Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Yelp in June 2013.

Applied online, process took less than a month.

1. Phone interview screening- Interview w/ recruiter. Basic info and salary. Asked fairly simple questions

2. Interview Onsite #1- Meet with team and talked about position. Ask more behavioral and simple excel test was given.

3. Interview Onsite #2- Meet with Director and Managers. 2 separate interviews. 1 on skype and 1 in person. Questions regarding culture and experience.

Interview Questions
    • Please come up with a interview question to ask yourself, and then answer it.   View Answer

Software Engineer (Web Developer) Interview

Reached out to a recruiter and was scheduled for a phone call that week. Passed the phone screen and then did not pass the coding test. I asked for feedback on the coding test, but they were not allowed to give me any feedback.

Interview Questions
    • The phone screen wasn't very fun or challenging. Mostly trivia questions (i.e. What is a css-sprite?) All the questions were the kind of questions you could google and easily find as the first result, no actual problem-solving required. The only algorithm question was "what is the best case time complexity to sum a list of numbers."

The coding test was to build a connect four app using html/css/js. No grading criteria was given, nor did I receive any feedback besides the rejection.
        Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yelp in July 2014.

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter to set up a phone screen. Thinking it was merely HR I didn't really expect any coding. The phone screen mainly involved why Yelp, about my background , etc. I was then given a coding challenge to be completed by the end of the day. Thankfully the coding challenge was really easy (FizzBizz) and I complete it a few minutes.

I was then moved on to a Skype interview with a engineer. Coming from an Electrical Engineering background I didn't really know any SQL or much about web technologies. I was asked questions about these and I honestly told me I didn't know. Was again asked about why yelp etc, We moved on to a coding question about load balancing of servers and asked to implement various functions for it. I was extremely nervous after answering a string of questions with "I don't know". The interviewer was really nice and helpful and really tried to encourage me to get the right answers. I felt I had messed a really basic interview though surprisingly I was passed over to the next round.

Next round was 2 back to back Skype interviews with an engineer and a manager. I managed to crack all the coding questions thrown at me, however I felt the engineer was impressed with me but not the manager. I was asked the same why Yelp, but also many other typical behavioral questions. I was also asked about Yelp products,how I think I should improve them, etc. I thought I did pretty well in the final rounds so was disappointed when I was rejected. Overall a good learning experience I guess.

All the coding questions I was asked are repeats mentioned in the other reviews.

Interview Questions
    • What issues do you Yelp has now?
      What new products should Yelp come out with?
        Answer Question