Yelp Account Executive Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2015

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Short 15 minute phone call, followed by a longer skype or in-person interview, followed by a webinar and a follow-up phone call from a hiring manager. Lots of role play in the second interview. Very helpful coaching from the hiring managers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about something you enjoy that's really challenging.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Sent in my resume, and recruiter emailed me within a day or two to set up a phone interview. Phone interview will last about 15 mins. Questions like: Your background history, why Yelp. After the phone interview I was invited for an office interview where you will interview with 2 people. Each interview will last 20 mins. You will interview with 2 Account Managers. You will be given a tour of the office space. It is a call center. Keep this in mind. They will be upfront and tell you that you will be making 80 to 100 calls a day. Being on the phone for 2 to 3 hours a day total time. The interview is simple, just talk about your background, and how your previous/current position will benefit you with yelp. They will then give you the role play questions that everyone seems to be posting. 1. The pizza owner scenario (trying to talk to the owner) 2. The business owner scenario that decided to advertise in the local newspaper(trying to understand why, and also set up a meeting) After the interview, you will have time to ask them a couple of questions. Before you waste their time and yours, ask yourself, Do I want to be on the phone all day? Don't get me wrong, the perks are nice, and can really be a good resume builder. But if you're not up for being on the phones all day, then this may not be the position for you.

Interview Questions

• What was one failure that you had, and what did you do about it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

First, you must pass a simple phone interview. Next, they will schedule either an in-person or a Skype interview that will be more challenging and will involve some role play to test your ability to sell and to see how you sound on the phone.

Interview Questions

• Convince the owner of a pizza place to advertise with yelp.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

I applied online and the process took roughly about 2 weeks. First they email you and let you know if your application was approved and then they schedule a phone interview. I was expecting so much more for the phone interview since most reviews here kinda made it sound intense. I definitely over prepared but it's always better to be safe than sorry. Then I moved onto the in person interview. Beautiful building, but essentially it's a call center. Making 80+ calls a day basically selling ad packages. If you're into that then this position is for you. When they gave us a tour the employees looked slightly worn out. Asked if it was possible to eventually work in other positions within Yelp, and was told it wasn't really possible. Whatever you do it's basically sales related.

Interview Questions

• Why sales? Why Yelp? Describe a time you had to compete. What's a challenge you might face in this position and how might you make that a positive? Sell Yelp.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

First interview was over the phone, about 10 minutes in length. Second interview was invited to Yelp office. Very professional, and was given a tour upon arrival. Was taken to a small conference room to be interviewed by two people at separate times.

Interview Questions

• Skills questions. Role play. Was asked information about role.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Yelp (Walnut, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Sent "funny, & cool" cover letter that was informative and accepted. The phone interview was done by someone who was either inexperienced or just not good at it. She was ready to get off the phone before she mentioned what to do next. Answering my questions seemed to be tough for her.A day later I received my rejection letter.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp (Tempe, AZ) in July 2015.

Interview

I got the opportunity to schedule a phone interview with Yelp. During the interview I was asked a few questions. 1. Why sales? 2. What are your strengths in sales over others? 3. Tell me a time that you were competitive? Lastly, I was required to do a role play in the end to show my ability in sales over the phone.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2015.

Interview

First I had a 15 minute phone screen where they basically checked to see if I could form coherent sentences. I was asked why I want to work for Yelp, why I want to work in sales, and what makes me a good sales person. They were pretty easy questions and my interviewer seemed distracted and wasn't really listening to my answers, more that he was just checking through his list. Then we role-played. He asked me to pretend I was calling a pizza store manager for the 3rd time and leaving a voicemail. I had to sell Yelp and also stay positive and aggressive. After this I was told that I would interview onsite with two managers. This was pretty easy and a little more in depth, they were friendly and very conversational, it didn't feel like they were grilling me. Then we did more role-playing (pretend you are calling a pizza store manager to sell Yelp advertising) and this time they gave me feedback and tips on how to improve. Then we role played again. They were definitely checking to see how I implemented their feedback. The interview went great and the next day I was called and told that they were going to do a background check and check out my references. I had to fill out an online form basically approving them to do this. Then they also scheduled me for an online Webinar that went over the career path at Yelp. Basically it's a slide show and you just watch and listen - make sure to take notes. It was at this point that things went bad. They called me a few days later and told me that I passed my background check and interviews but now they didn't have any spots left for me in the training class and that I could be put on a wait list to try to get in the next hiring class or she said I would have to wait for a month and start in September (it was July). I thought this was strange -- I just went through their webinar on the career path the day before, but I reluctantly said ok. The girl said they would call me the following week to let me know if I could start in August. Then over the next week while I was waiting I researched Yelp as a company and the position itself (including here on Glassdoor). I have been in the workforce doing inside sales / customer service type work for many years, and I while learning about Yelp found out a lot of nasty things. I learned that this job is essentially a call center gig and you are badgering small business owners who don't want to talk to you for hours and hours per day. Every day. Until you either are fired, burn out, or hit your numbers and are safe till the next month. Also, oddly enough this same week Yelp's stock suddenly went down an unprecedented 25%. I saw that they had an extremely high rate of turnover and a very bad reputation as a company among small business owners. A couple friends of mine who are lawyers told me that I would have to put my own morality on the line if I chose to take this job (ie - Yelp has been accused of leaving old and bad reviews on small business owners' Yelp pages until they pay up at least 3 grand for their web advertising... this is basically extortion). So when the girl called me a week later to check in and ask if I was still interested I said no thanks and that I needed something sooner. I chose not to tell her all the negative things I had learned about Yelp and the role of Account Executive. She then said that I could not apply for at least 6 months because I had been through the whole process. I said that's strange, but don't you worry.

Interview Questions

• Pretend I'm a Pizza Store owner and I chose to buy an ad in a newspaper instead of in the Yelp application. You are following up with me to try to convince me to buy ads on Yelp instead.   Answer Question

I didn't want to work in a call center, and I didn't want to put my morals on the line in order to make sales or hit my numbers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral with the process taking 2 weeks. HR called to set-up a 20 minute phone screen with a Sales Manager. Phone screen ADVICE: - Have a set answer as with WHY you want to work for Yelp (culture, growth opps, personality is Yelp, make sure you say that you are an avid Yelp user!)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Initial phone screening took about 15 minutes. Fairly straightforward behavioral questions. Why yelp? Why sales? Leave a voicemail for a business that has missed your call three times. At the end of the phone screening, they will ask to schedule an on-site interview. On-site interview took 1 hour total - with two 30 minute interviews. Both interviews consisted of a lot of role calls. REMEMBER the advice and criticism they give you after the first interview, because the second interviewer will ask you what advice you learned. Best advice to potential candidates: practice role calling and incorporating feedback into your repertoire.