Yelp

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Junior Account Executive

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – They seemed eager to get you through the interview process. I was contacted by the recruiter a few days after sending in my resume, and had my first interview a few days after that. They offered me the final round interview on the spot, and I did that two days later.

Interview Question – Pretty straight forward questions about sales. Nothing difficult or out of the norm.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – =

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – First had a basic phone interview then met with three sales managers.

Interview Question – Last role play, had to do one that I needed to improve on.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Phoenix, AZ

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – I applied to the job online, submitting a cover letter and resume online. The next day I received an email requesting a short, 15 minute phone interview. The phone interview felt like a refreshingly genuine interaction with a person--it mitigated all the typical interview questions. Next, I was asked to conduct an hour Skype interview with three managers at the location I was being considered. In this interview, I was asked, among other questions, to practice sales pitches as a future account executive. The exercise is really great in putting you in the shoes of what you will be doing in the day-to-day activities of the job. Each interviewer provides feedback, which you are asked to implement in the next pitch.

Interview Question – If you do not have a background in sales, they will notice and really push you to convince them why you want to enter the field.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I realized I wanted to pursue another field of interest outside of sales.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – Applied online, had a phone interview that lasted about 10 min with just basic background questions then came in for a face-to-face interview with three hiring managers. I met with each manager individually and answered a few more background questions but the majority of the interview was sales role playing.

Interview Question – I'm a mechanic in Little Rock, Arkansas, sell me Yelp.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Yelp

Interview Details – Easy. Apply, phone screen, in person interview with 3 managers.

Interview Question – The role playing scenarios are not easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Junior Account Executive

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – The first interview was done over the phone and last only about 15 minutes. Basically they ask you why sales, why you are right for sales, and why you want to work for Yelp. They are looking for you to be direct, assertive, and well-spoken. Second interview is either on site or via Skype if you are from out of town. You meet with three sales managers and have to do sales call role playing. They want you to implement feedback from each of the managers and steadily improve as you go along. They dont expect you to be perfect but they expect you to take their advice and apply it.

Interview Question – Convince me as a sales owner why I should chose to advertise with yelp versus another company like google   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiations

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in January 2013.

Interview Details – You first get an email to set up a phone interview and then they asked me when I could come and have an in person interview. You are interviewed by 3 different people, they were all very nice and the atmosphere there was very laid back, I wasn't nervous at all. They each go through asking you questions about why yelp, past experience, what you want to do with your life, positive sales qualities you have, etc. Then they each role played with me 2 different scenarios. You need to listen to the feedback you are given because they will ask you specific questions about that. The role playing was fun, just make sure you know a lot about the company and remember to make sure you either set up a meeting with the "potential client" or close the deal.

Interview Question – Sell me this phone (it was an office phone that was sitting on the desk) the interviewer definitely made it difficult to do   View Answer

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in November 2012.

Interview Details – I got my initial phone screening because I knew a current employee. That was a huge help, especially because I got to check out the office before I started the interview process. It's a very cool office with multiple floors of young sales people working there asses off (that's a good thing). They also had a cool "hang out" floor with pingpong tables and beers on tap.

That aside, I did enjoy the interview process. I started out with a initial phone screening that was really straight forward. I actually think I performed terribly (stumbled a lot and was not very confident). But really what they were looking for is someone who really wants to get into sales and is willing and ready for a lot of phone interaction. I think they were just checking to make sure I wasn't crazy before they brought me in.

They ended up giving me an in-house interview a week or two after the phone screen. I was interviewed by three sales managers, all of whom were very nice and easy to talk to.
1) The first asked me general sales interview questions (why sales, why Yelp, etc). Then asked to do a mock cold call to a pizza place. What they are looking for here is for you to first and foremost be friendly and ask them a bunch of questions - then get to the point and set up a call for a future date. I beat around the bush and asked and went into and in depth explanation of Yelp (which is not necessary) and wasn't direct about setting up the next call. Get to the point.

2)The second asked me to do a mock 2nd call where you need to figure out how they currently advertise, what their main problems are, then close. So basically I picked up where I left off with the pizza place. I think I did well here. Ask a ton of questions. You really need to figure out what their pain points are about advertising and direct your pitch towards those problems. Smile the whole time and don't talk too much. Really get a good understanding of the customer then close based on their answers. For this you really have to know the product you're selling well. There are plenty of resources for this on their website and their blog.

3)The last asked me which of the first two calls did I perform worse on. Then I got to redo that. So I chose the first call and I really killed it.

At the end of each interview be sure ask how you did. You not only will need this information to help in the next part of the interview but you'll need that feedback for any other interview you may have. Bring a pen and a notepad and write it down. You'll get some really good feedback.

I got a call a week or so later telling me they were doing a background check (that's a good sign). Then 2 weeks after that I got an offer.

Interview Question – I am an owner of a pizza place. Set up a meeting with me.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I think Yelp would be a great place to start my sales career. They really invest a lot of money into their training program, so you know you are coming out with quality experience that other companies will like.

Personally they initial pay was a little low. It wouldn't have been enough to fund my city living, at least for the first few months. If living in SF cost less this would have been a perfect fit.

The people and the environment seemed really great, so I know I'm definitely missing out on a great opportunity.

Interviewed at Yelp

Interview Details – Applied to the company through jobvite and a few weeks later was contacted to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was standard- just have a general idea of what you would do as an account executive and what yelp does and you will be invited into the office.

Glassdoor gave me a good sense of what to expect- 3 different managers, each of which did a different role play exercise. Due to the fact that it was my first interview I came in pretty nervous, and did not end up getting the job. Just focus on being relaxed and CLOSE. All three managers were very laid back and easy to talk to.

Interview Question – I am a business who is not interested in Yelp advertising- convince me otherwise.   Answer Question

Scottsdale, AZ

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp in March 2012.

Interview Details – First phone interview and then Skype interview. Make sure your internet is working and that you are good with sales role play. It felt more like a quiz rather than a conversation. People were too in a hurry to really get to know you.

Interview Question – Pretend I'm the owner of Mike's Pizza. How would you call me to set up a time for a phone pitch?   View Answer

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!