Yelp

2.5

Account Executive-New Grad Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

I applied online after hearing about the position from a friend who advertised it as a marketing position.

1st Interview: I was called from a blocked number and asked pretty standard questions...
- Why do you want to get into sales? Why do you want a cold calling position?
- Describe a time when you overcame a challenge?
- What attracted you to Yelp?
- Why do you want to relocate?
- Where else are you interviewing?

Just remember to do a little research beforehand and sound upbeat and excited. Mentioning being able to overcome failures, liking a challenge, and being a people person will help get through to the next round. Told me I'd be moved to the next round during the call and would be contacted by the HR woman to schedule a skype interview.

2nd Interview: Skype

Was called about five minutes before my interview by an HR woman to test the connection. Then was called by the first interviewer who told me three Yelp employees would be rotating rooms interviewing three different people which was somewhat intimidating. All the reviews on here were completely accurate and very helpful.

First Interview:
Role Play: I'm the owner of a hair salon. Try and set up an appointment with me to sell Yelp.

Tips: Sound upbeat and mention that you'd love to talk to the owner more about her needs for her business and how Yelp can take her to the next level. Do this as quickly as possible and remember the feedback because they will ask you what the previous interviewer gave you as feedback in the next interview.

Second Interview:
Role Play: I want to cancel my Yelp subscription. Convince me not to.

Tips: Make sure you know some facts about yelp. What their viewership per month is, what Yelp ads offers, and how it will help. Make sure to ask about what the client is looking for and what their needs are. Listen to those needs and try to address each problem individually. Be persistent. Remember feedback again.

Third Interview: Sell me anything.

Tips: Pick something that you're passionate about because that'll come through. Ask questions about what the interviewer needs. The guy that interviewed me was very difficult but just be persistent.

Other Questions:
- Tell us something your parents would say about you that is untrue?
- When is a time you have completely failed?
- What has been one of your biggest successes?
- If all three interviewers were in the room, what would you tell us to convince us your perfect for this position?

I got asked to do a background check a few days later. That's when I knew I had the job.

Interview Questions
  • The role plays are difficult but if you do research and smile through it you'll be fine.   Answer Question

I ultimately turned down the positon because I'm looking for a job more geared towards marketing and Arizona is a little too far.

Also, it pays absolutely nothing and despite the perks seems like a rather boring, monotonous job in a volatile work environment.

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Account Executive New Grad Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Horrible experience. San Francisco interviewers were unprofessional. I felt like the girl was interviewing to just to mock me. Really happy with the turnout, do not want to be a part of a company who belittles you. One interviewer was mean and rude throughout the process.

New Grad Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in April 2013.

I applied through my schools career connector and was contacted a few days later via email telling me they liked my resume and wanted to talk to me via phone. The phone call lasted about 10 minutes where they asked me to tell them about myself, why I wanted to work in sales and why yelp. The recruiter told me he liked speaking with me and wanted to send me to the next round of interviews.

Since i was out of state, the second round of interviews was a skype interview where I met with three different managers. They each asked different questions about myself and yelp, I did a role play with the first manager to set up an appointment with a pizza business to tell them a little more about Yelp space. The next two asked me more questions about why yelp etc but I didn't do any role playing with them.

A few days after that I received an email asking if they could do a background check on me. A few days after that they set up a call telling me that they liked me and wanted me to join their team.

Interview Questions
    • The other reviews on glassdoor really helped me prepare so there wasn't anything unexpected. Hardest question would probably be tell me something your friends and family would say is negative about you but you would say isn't true.   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation, just got an email saying what the deal was, that was about it.

New Grad Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Phone interview, lasted 10 minutes, asked about my background and why I was interested in Yelp and cold calls

Skype Interview with three different people who all did role playing. Asked to sell your favorite product, another question asked how would you tell someone about yelp and the ad program, get them set up with an appointment. Another question asked to deal with someone who was resistant and how you would get them to say yes to a sale.

They give you feedback after each person and make sure you remember the feedback bc they will ask you.

Account Executive - New Grad Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yelp.

Had a phone interview with a man that seemed to want to talk more about himself than get to know me. He did not seem to believe that I truly wanted a phone heavy sales job. To be fair, he was right. He just asked basic behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • All expected. Know why you want to be on the phone all day. He'll question this often.   Answer Question

I didn't want phone heavy sales.