Yelp

Relevance Date Difficulty

AE Interview

AE
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – You will meet with 3 managers. They are interviewing often throughout the week and so don't put too much pressure on yourself. Basically just show you have a personality and that you are confident you can do the job. Recruiters have quotas too.

Interview Question – The better you are at thinking on your feet the more you prove you deserve the job. So I'm not going to give you this one.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. You are paid what you're paid and if you keep pushing you make commission.

Sales Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Sales Recruiting Coordinator
New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – I was referred by a friend and was extended a phone interview the same week. I was invited to interview onsite less than a week after the phone interview. The office is large and VERY chaotic with about 60 visible sales execs. I was sat in a conference room and was visited separately by three different managers. They were all nice, but all seemed unprepared for the interview. They were dressed so casual that I felt self-conscious for wearing a suit. In fact, I felt like dressing formally actually hurt my chances of getting the job. Anyway, everyone I spoke to seemed eager to resume whatever it was they were doing before I showed up. It was actually pretty rude how indiscreet they were about checking the time. It was clear that I probably wasn't going to get it long before I left.

Interview Question – "If you were new and were asked to do an urgent task that you didn't know how to do, how would you go about doing it?"   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Sales Executive Interview

Sales Executive
New York, NY

I applied online and interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – Applied through the company website. Received a follow up email for a phone interview 2 days later. Easy 15 minute phone call asking about experiences. They will give you the topics you will need to know the basics of; knowledge of yelp, ad product they offer local business owners, why are you interested in high volume cold calling. Very friendly person doing the interview. I received a second interview, but chose not to follow up on. Realized I did not want a career in sales.

Interview Question – They will ask you questions about how your experience will relate to high volume cold calls. How will you deal with the fluctuations of the job?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I interviewed at Yelp in June 2014.

Interview Details – Process took a month. Applied online through job website. First phone call basic questions. 3 role plays scenario. Very organized structure seemed uninterested because they use the same organization for all clients.

Interview Question – If you are under quota with amount of calls what would you do?   Answer Question

Account Executive (Trainee) Interview

Account Executive (Trainee)
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Yelp in April 2014.

Interview Details – Phone screening first, visit to office site and interviewed with 3 managers back to back, open-house for new hires prior to start date. People were cool, culture was cool, but not the right environment for all.

Interview Question – role playing   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no ngotiation

New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Yelp in May 2013.

Interview Details – I began the process by applying online. Shortly after, I received an email to set up a phone interview. The phone call lasted 10-15 minutes, with a few basic questions for me, but was mainly information on the position and company. That went well, so the next step was a Skype interview (I was out of state at the time), which consisted of three different interviews with three different people. A few days later, I received a job offer.

Interview Question – I had to simulate a cold-call scenario with one of their account executives.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I received a more fitting job elsewhere.

Associate Sales Manager Interview

Associate Sales Manager
New York, NY

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Yelp in April 2014.

Interview Details – 15 Min Phone interview, followed by an in-office interview. They ask about your sales experience and how you would handle customers. High recruiting volume at university job fairs, imply that they will take any majors.

Interview Question – Not really unexpected, "How would you react when you think you're about to close a sale, and the client backs out?"   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Yelp in April 2014.

Interview Details – The first phone interview is swift. You'll be asked: what do you know about us and the product we're offering; what do you know about what this position entails; why sales; why sales at Yelp. Any comment I made about myself, she called me on- wanted me to prove it. Then finally she explains the position and perks, which are exactly as they're listed on the job posting and then tells you if you're moving forward or not.

Interview Question – You said you have good interpersonal skills- prove it; tell me about a situation in which you employed them successfully.   View Answer

Account Executive Sales Interview

Account Executive Sales
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – Applied online on Yelp website. I was contacted fairly quickly and conducted a phone screen interview. Basically they want to know that you are interested in working a 9-5 cold call position while maintaining a high volume of calls and hitting sales quotas. Was brought into the office for an in person interview. Met with three people discussing my background and qualifications, general questions. Then you do role plays with each person you meet. First one had me book a meeting with a busy potential customer. Next role play was to overcome an objection (customer wants to sign up with Facebook ads instead), and last was to sell something you're passionate about. Pretty standard interview no real curveballs if you read these reviews. I didn't get the job perhaps because of inexperience, but they are looking for personalities they can mold into a good salespeople. Just be yourself and show that you are bubbly, excited, outgoing and can think on your toes.

Interview Question – What is something that a family/friend would say about you, that you don't quite agree with   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through LinkedIn and within a couple days was contacted via email that they wanted to conduct a phone interview. The phone interview was a very basic series of questions about my background, "why sales", "why Yelp" and things of that nature. I got through that interview and the next step was an on-site interview. The office is loud, with music playing, and a lot of young employees working the phones. I was taken into a conference room by an HR person who gave me a lowdown of what was to ensue. There was 3 rounds of interviewers and role playing. I felt like I was at a Pokemon gym, getting through each round and finally to the gym leader. The first round was a really nice guy who asked me some basic questions and then a role play. The role play was basically me calling a business and getting an appointment with them. He said I did well and got the appointment (role play appointment, not a real one). His only criticism was to be a bit more assertive. Round 2, I was greeted by a woman, and asked similar questions. The role play was to close a deal with a business selling them an ad package. I didn't think I did as well as she made it out to be and felt a bit flustered at one point, but she said I did great so I'm not complaining. The final boss I had to face was, as expected, the most difficult. She wasn't as nice and smiley as the first two, but she was by no means unpleasant. I guess she just didn't seem as enthusiastic or impressed, but this could simply be her demeanor. We got into the role play rather quickly, and I had to try to sell her "a product I was passionate about". CHOOSE SOMETHING YOU KNOW INSIDE AND OUT. I must stress this. Whoever the interviewer will be I can guarantee will be very resistant. I chose my juicer. Her feedback was that I knew the product well, but need to show a little more passion about it. To conclude the interview she asked me why they should consider hiring me, what makes me stand out, etc... You know the deal with these ubiquitous, generic interview questions. All in all, the interview wasn't too difficult, but not a breeze. Be prepared for the role plays, be yourself, and don't panic. Most of the employees there, including the interviewers, had no sales experience initially, so don't worry if you make some minor mistakes and get a little criticism like I did. I was told I'd be emailed in 3-5 business days. I received it in one and was told by a senior recruiter that she wanted to set up a half hour phone call to talk more about the position, if I'm interviewing with other companies, and what the next steps would be. This means they are interested in hiring you. This isn't another interview, it's really just to see how interested you are in the position and to decide if you'd like to accept their offer and commence with the training program. Good luck!

Interview Question – What is a quality that your family or friends say you have that you think is off mark?   View Answers (2)

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!