Yelp Interview Questions & Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Aug 13, 2014
67 interviews

67 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

interviewed at Yelp in June 2013.

Weird role play questions, snotty interviewers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp in December 2013.

I applied through my college career site and got an email the next day saying I had been selected for a brief phone interview.

The phone interview was simple, probably lasted about 15 minutes. I was asked what I knew about yelp as soon as I answered the call. Then I was told more about yelp. Then I was asked why I wanted to go into sales and if I thought I would be happy making cold calls all day everyday. She really wanted to just make sure they weren't wasting their time by interviewing someone who was not interested in an entry level sales position. My advice for the phone interview is to just seem super excited and make sure you read up on what yelp is and does and what you will be doing. You could be based in NYC, but be calling Toronto, Atlanta, San Diego whatever territory you are assigned.

At the close of the interview she said I sounded like I would be a great fit and asked me to set up a skype interview as I was in Florida and the job is in NYC. They were rushed for time so the interview was scheduled for the following day.

The skype interview was HARD. I had never interviewed for a cold calling position so role playing was a foreign concept to me. We did 3 role plays as everyone here has said. The first was to set up a follow up call with a pizza place in Brooklyn that is trying to blow you off, the interviewer will say things like they have no budget or don't really need any advertising. The second interviewer pretends to be a business that has decided not to use yelp but to put money into their website or google ads. They will say things like well if our website is crap nobody will take us seriously and we only have money to invest in one. The third interviewer wants you to sell them something you are passionate about... I chose a kindle. BAD choice, he just kept saying how he wanted an ipad and everybody has an ipad and he wasn't concerned about price because he really wanted an ipad.

The keys to the skype interview are... be passionate, smile, be energetic, ASK QUESTIONS--- why do you want to do that, what got you to that conclusion, why does that matter, never accept a NO, and remember their names! The 2nd interviewer asked me what the first ones name was and what she said.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

Got a phone interview after I applied through linked in through a friend referral. First interview was a phone interview which was only 15 minutes asking you basic questions. Made it to the next round in person in NYC. Thought it went well.

Account Executive Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp.

Applied online on Yelp website. I was contacted fairly quickly and conducted a phone screen interview. Basically they want to know that you are interested in working a 9-5 cold call position while maintaining a high volume of calls and hitting sales quotas. Was brought into the office for an in person interview. Met with three people discussing my background and qualifications, general questions. Then you do role plays with each person you meet. First one had me book a meeting with a busy potential customer. Next role play was to overcome an objection (customer wants to sign up with Facebook ads instead), and last was to sell something you're passionate about. Pretty standard interview no real curveballs if you read these reviews. I didn't get the job perhaps because of inexperience, but they are looking for personalities they can mold into a good salespeople. Just be yourself and show that you are bubbly, excited, outgoing and can think on your toes.

Interview Questions
    • What is something that a family/friend would say about you, that you don't quite agree with   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

interviewed at Yelp in June 2014.

Process took a month. Applied online through job website. First phone call basic questions. 3 role plays scenario. Very organized structure seemed uninterested because they use the same organization for all clients.

Interview Questions
    • If you are under quota with amount of calls what would you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

As other interviewers have said, you are interviewed by 3 sales managers. The first impression I had of the place was that it was extraordinarily casual. They were "running late" the day I was there and they rushed us into our respective interview rooms. The first person to interview me asked me why sales, why yelp, and where else I had interviewed/applied. I think this was my major downfall, it threw me off and I honestly wasn't sure how to answer it. We did a role play where I was trying to get a meeting with a business owner. They told me I was too passive and needed to he assertive. That's fine, I knew I could get that down. Next person asked me the exact same questions, but she seemed very uninterested in me. She was looking out the window and at the door the entire time and didn't even seem to be listening to me. Then, she left. No role play. This completely threw me off for the remainder of the interview. The last person came in and asked me the same questions, then did a role play where I had to sell him something. I was very thoroughly explaining the benefits of the product and thought I did quite well. After the interview I sent a thank you to the people who interviewed me. I received an email 3 days later saying they were going with other candidates, which in the end was a good thing for me because I don't think it was a good fit. The job is basically a telemarketing position and you're just expected to make the company money. Pay is not good for a college grad. If you love sales and working for commission, this is for you. Additionally, if you want a laid back college-like environment, this is a great place for you.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in November 2009.

First step is the phone interview. Was pretty straightforward, asked questions like:

What is your current position?
    What are your responsibilities?
    Why are you leaving?
    How does your current position relate to the position you are applying for?
    How would you increase customer retention at Yelp?

Then goes on to explain more about the company/position/salary/etc...

Then they schedule an in-person interview for another day. You go to the Yelp office, and sit one-on-one with another Account manager and she has a corporate sheet in front of her with specific questions to ask. Some of the questions are:

Tell me about your current position?
    Does it involve sales?
    Does it involve customer interaction?
    Which is better, your verbal or written skills?
    (if your verbal skills are better) How would you plan on improving your writing skills?
    How do you respond to criticism?
    Give me an example of a time you were criticized...
    Give me an example of when you received a positive critique...
    How would your boss describe you in 3 words?
    How would your friends describe you in 3 words?
    Are you good in a team setting? Explain...

Then they do a role play. The topic is: I am a customer calling to cancel my advertising package because it isn't working for me, you need to convince me to stay by asking specific questions regarding my current situation and why I want to cancel.

Then you have time to ask questions.

On the same day, after the one-on-one, they put you in a Skype video call with someone else in a different city who asks more questions. These questions include specific things about your resume, including:

Why is there an employment gap here.
    Why are you leaving your current job. (Make sure it's airtight, or they will dwell on this forever)
    I see you move a lot, convince me you would stay with us for a long time.
    You don't have a lot of industry experience, why should we hire you?

And other questions like:
    What type of people do you dislike?
    What are your pet peeves?
    What is something you want your current (or past) manager to do better?
    How are you on the phone?
    What are your verbal strengths?
    Convince me to eat at your favorite restaurant.

And there is another role play. The topic is: I am an angry business owner because I have a bad review on Yelp, you need to take it down for me immediately.

Then, after the angry phone conversation, they ask you if you could handle doing that every day?
    What excites you about doing that every day?
    What worries you about doing that every day?

These are not all of the questions, just some I remember...

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Yelp in August 2011.

The first interview is a 10 minute screening to check if you can communicate with a human being. They ask questions like: What motivates you? Why do you want to work at Yelp? Why do you want to work in Sales? Making it past this interview is easy if you sound confident and you're able to articulate yourself.
    The in-person interviews are a bit more difficult. I went in to Yelp's New York office and was interviewed by three people (all of them women). Be ready for a lot of role playing. They ask you what you would do in different situations.

Interview Questions
    • I'm a business owner and you're an account executive. I say I'm not ready to buy online advertising with Yelp. But I want you to call me back in sixth months. How do you respond?   Answer Question
    • What is the harshest criticism you have ever received from a superior?   Answer Question
    • I'm a business owner and you're an account executive. I say $300 for online advertising is too expensive for me. How do you respond?   Answer Question
    • Why Yelp? Why Sales? Why Cold-calling?   Answer Question
    • What are you passionate about in your non-work life?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Yelp in August 2011.

I filled out my application online and got a response within 2 hours asking for a phone interview. The interviewer didn't seem at all interested in anything I had to say which just kept making me more and more nervous. It was obvious I wasn't going to get called in for a second interview.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Yelp in September 2011.

Step 1: Submit cover letter.

Step 2: Someone called me about my cover letter -- the director of East Coast Sales actually. It was a 6 minute conversation about basic things, why do I want to work for Yelp, how did I prepare for the interview, etc.

Step 3: I was then invited in for a panel interview consisting of 3 people who fired sales questions at me. The first interviewer was easy, but the second had a colder persona and demanded more. She coached me a little bit on how to answer the sales questions (e.g. your client says they don't have money, can you call them back in 6 months, what is your response?), and the third asked the same questions, except this time i was prepared.

Step 4: The director of East Coast Sales called me again and asked me how I thought the interview had gone. She asked me why I thought I would be good at it with little background in sales, and she asked me to give her an example of a time when I had failed at something and how I responded. Etc etc. She was super nice.

Step 5: She called me back about 4 days later offering me the job. The next step is a background check.

--------

My personal thoughts: The director said she was impressed with my drive and enthusiasm, so I would suggest that anyone who interviews for this job is GREAT at talking, really friendly and warm, has a lot of personality, and is not afraid to ask questions and speak their mind (when appropriate). I think above all they appreciate high energy and clear determination to succeed. The director also pointed out that she really enjoyed my cover letter, so I think that this is something that can really make a difference, especially for getting to the next step in the interview process. My cover letter was very funny, a little shocking, informal, a little audacious, and definitely not the normal cover-letter style. I talked about how my current job would help me at Yelp.

The 3-person panel interview was the step after which I thought I wouldn't get the job. I'm not going to lie: it was stressful. They fire questions at you and seem to expect you to know how to respond. I have no sales background, so I answered as best I could -- talk fast and persuasively, think on your feet, and smile a lot. If you don't know the answer, say what SOUNDS good, because that's what sales is.

Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me an example of a time when you had trouble solving a problem or accomplishing something. How did you respond?   Answer Question

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!