Yelp

Yelp Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Feb 25, 2015
Updated Feb 25, 2015

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp in December 2012.

I received an email from Yelp the day after I applied, informing me that I had passed the first stages of their interview process. The email gave me a few phone interview times and I was to pick two and respond back with my choices. However the times were:
    Wednesday, December 5th from 9:30 AM - 12:00 PM
    Thursday, December 6th from 9:30 - 10:30 AM
    Thursday, December 6th from 1:00 - 4:00 PM
    I had just read my email on December 5th so that time was impossible and so was the first time on December 6th because I had work. So I emailed back with the last time option, hoping it wouldn't be a problem as it was a 4 hr block. I waited and did not receive any call, so I tried to call Yelp and set up another interview. BIG MISTAKE. Yelp doesn't want people to call them so they make it impossible they only want you to email them with questions, which I did and still received no response. I realized that I didn't want to try to sell advertising for a company that makes it impossible for their customers to reach them. Its very dirty of the company and speaks volumes about their level of organization. Thanks but no thanks Yelp........

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp in February 2013.

Went in and met with 2 interviewers...all of the questions and role play situations previously mentioned were very helpful and useful...interview was very straight forward and professional...the role playing situations were a little difficult because i have not sold before but the interviewers help you out and push you in the right direction

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

The entire interview/hiring process was quick. Got an initial phone call (screening). Upon passing that, I was invited for an in-person interview. I was interviewed by three different people. At times, I got nervous but they made me feel comfortable and put me at ease. BE RECEPTIVE TO COACHING!

Interview Questions
    Entry-level sales position. Base salary then commission based on performance. No room for negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Yelp in February 2013.

It was poor. They use telephone interview to screen applicants. Then if you are successful you do a face to face interview. The issue is they hire anyone.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in the next three years?   View Answer

Got a better job

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp in November 2013.

Phone interview does not allow much room to show character and impress. The interviewer expects you to repeat the 10 facts about yelp, and the daily blog of an account executive.
    In my opinion, it does not properly screen potential workers, as it does not allow any room for creativity or self expression. Not sure on what basis the interviewer grades the phone interviews.

Interview Questions
    • The question are as follows "
      1. Tell me what you know about yelp (10 facts)
      2. What can you tell about the product
      3. What do you know about the position
      4. Why do you fit the job (examples can be found in the provided blog)

Hardest question? When the interviewer asked what i want to ask him.
      After this mutually scripted phone interview i wasnt sure i am talking to a real person at that point.

Answer Question

Something better came up

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in March 2014.

Initial phone interview, in person role plays, follow up call

Interview Questions
    • What is something your friends and family say about you that is off mark?   Answer Question
    None

Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Applied through the company website. Received a follow up email for a phone interview 2 days later. Easy 15 minute phone call asking about experiences. They will give you the topics you will need to know the basics of; knowledge of yelp, ad product they offer local business owners, why are you interested in high volume cold calling. Very friendly person doing the interview. I received a second interview, but chose not to follow up on. Realized I did not want a career in sales.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you questions about how your experience will relate to high volume cold calls. How will you deal with the fluctuations of the job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Yelp in July 2014.

15 minute phone call where I explained my understanding of the role (a day in the life of an account executive), talked about a time that I'd competed and won and a time I'd competed and lost.
    A few days later I had an hour long skype session where I spoke with three different employees, did some sales role play and answered some behavioral questions.

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yelp in November 2014.

15 minutes phone interview. There are 3 interview questions: What do you know about Yelp; Why would you like to work for an Inside Sales job at Yelp; Why should we hire you/what makes you the best fit for the job?

Interview Questions
    • Why should we hire you/what makes you the best fit for the job?   Answer Question

Company's spillover effect for small business stores from friends/family.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp in September 2013.

Had phone interview with a very tense woman who already had made her decision before speaking to me

Interview Questions
    • She seemed bored there weren't any questions   View Answer