Yelp Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Apr 12, 2015
Updated Apr 12, 2015

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

I put in an application and got an email back about 2 weeks later asking to set up a 10-15 minute phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. She asked some basic questions about my background and resume. Then we did a short role play. She was a business owner and I had to pretend I worked for Yelp and I was leaving a voicemail to someone I…

New Grad Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I dropped the resume at the Yelp University talk, and I waited around 3 weeks to get the interview, the interview was online judge and it took around 45mins, including basic programming knowledges like bit manipulation and data structures, and maybe some programming languages questions, and one last programming test which asked to write a specific function, related to the yelp app I think

Interview Questions

• They asked me to code a yelp function as several functions were required.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Short phone interview with a role play then a Skype interview a little more in depth. The phone interview role play was cold calling a pizza shop.

The Skype role plays were cold calling a pizza shop and then cold calling a store that you already talked to but decided to go with newspaper ads.

Do some research on Yelp. Know why you want to do sales. Know how you will be good at it. Know a time that you failed and kept going.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

Skype
    Spoke with 3 people
    First one asked me to pitch a pizzeria
    Second one asked me to pitch the same pizzeria but with the suggestions person 1 gave
    Third one asked me to sell them anything

Interview Questions

• Pitch me as a pizzeria owner on Yelps advertising platform   Answer Question

Account Executive Sales Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

The process was quick. They definitely made it seem like anybody from any background could get and succeed in this position. They told me that I should expect to be making 55-80 phone calls per day.

Interview Questions

• Role Play that you are leaving a voicemail for somebody who won't return your phone call. Make sure you implement their advice in the second try.   Answer Question

Account Executive Sales Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

The process took about 4 weeks. First interview was on the phone, overview about my understanding. Second was a skype interview with 2 recruiters. They asked me to do role playes and sell the advertisements that Yelp does. The next part is a webinar but I'm still waiting to hear back

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online. I had an upbeat phone call with a member of the Ad Sales team. I was brought in for an in person interview with two managers who each had laminated sheets of how to interview Account Executives. Both were charismatic individuals who probably acquitted their job responsibilities well. However, the interview took place in a faceless somewhat dilapidated office away from the rest of the operation. There was a lack of enthusiasm about the role and a kind of bleary-eyed-ness in the case of both interviewers. A lack of empathy and personality ruled the day, which felt surprising given all the warm fuzzies that I had read about on Glassdoor.

Interview Questions

• What would you tell a pizza shop owner who is busy that you are cold calling?   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

First there was a phone interview with a recruiting manager. It was mainly a phone screen that contained many of the usual interview questions. Then I was asked to move on in the process with a Skype interview since I am unable to come into the New York office for an in person interview. The interview lasted around 45 minutes and I talked to 2 separate people. They wanted to know more about my background, why I was interested in Yelp, what I wanted out of a career with them and what experience I have had with sales. They also wanted to see personality over formality and the conversations flowed and were not one sided. They want to see how well you do in high stress sales environments and if you able to do well with critiques and situations in which you are not ideally performing your best in the work place. They did a couple of role play situations where you were calling a business. Very great interviewing process overall and really great organizational company to work with.

Interview Questions

• If you weren't meeting your sales goals how would you try to improve and do better?   Answer Question
    • how do you handle high stress situations?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY).

Interview

Received an email to get set up for a phone screening. The phone screening was about 20 minutes. Make sure you are familiar with the position and what Yelp does. The interviewer will ask you questions about what you know about the position and the company. She also asked me just some background info about myself about examples of when I've worked on teams and why sales and why Yelp. At the end there is a role play. You have to leave a voicemail for a pizza shop in Brooklyn that has missed your appointment three times. She told me at the end of the interview that I would be moving onto the next round and since I am out of state, it would be conducted over Skype. She gave me about 4 open times and I had to choose one.

The second interview is on Skype. At first, they require you to log onto Skype about 15 minutes before your interview. The recruiting coordinator will give you a call to test out the connection and just say hi and ask if you have any questions before the interview happens. She will give you a quick overview of what the interviews will be like. I met with 2 sales managers and each asked basic questions and then finished with a role play. Make sure you listen to their feedback because they will allow you to do it again and they are looking for you to make the changes they spoke to you about. They were both super cool and easy to talk to so don't be intimidated by them.

2 hours after my interview ended, the recruiter called me saying I had moved on to the next round which is a 20 minute webinar about the career paths and training and also a background check.

Interview Questions

• Describe a typical day as an account executive at Yelp.
      Tell me about a time when you competed for something and didn't get it.
      Role Plays scenarios:
      1. Leave a voicemail for a pizza shop in Brooklyn that has missed your appointment three times.
      2. Sell me Yelp. I am a car repair shop.
      3. You've already met with me and I own a hair salon. I am calling you to let you know that I really enjoyed your presentation, but I am going to advertise in the local newspaper instead. Convince me not to.

Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in September 2014.

Interview

The process starts off with a phone screener just to see if you are able to have a conversation and understand what the position is. Then, I was brought it for an in-person interview with three different sales managers. Within two weeks, I heard back.

What they look for in the interview process is that you understand how difficult the job is, can have a conversation with anyone, think on your feet, and that you are experienced with setting personal goals and the process of accomplishing them (HINT: they love athletic experience).

Interview Questions

• Name a time you were stressed and what did you do to remedy it?   Answer Question