Yelp

63 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp in November 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview does not allow much room to show character and impress. The interviewer expects you to repeat the 10 facts about yelp, and the daily blog of an account executive.
In my opinion, it does not properly screen potential workers, as it does not allow any room for creativity or self expression. Not sure on what basis the interviewer grades the phone interviews.

Interview Question – The question are as follows "
1. Tell me what you know about yelp (10 facts)
2. What can you tell about the product
3. What do you know about the position
4. Why do you fit the job (examples can be found in the provided blog)

Hardest question? When the interviewer asked what i want to ask him.
After this mutually scripted phone interview i wasnt sure i am talking to a real person at that point.
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Something better came up

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Yelp in December 2013.

Interview Details – Standard process, you start with a phone interview for screening purposes they asked me why i wanted to work for yelp, what other positions i applied to, they will email you information about the AE position make sure to know all of it and watch the video that they send you as well. becuse they will ask you about every single detail that has to do with the Ad product. the phone interview will last for 10-15 minutes they asked me about 5 questions.
If you past the phone interview you will be invited to a face to face interview in their office.
you will meet with 3 AE team leaders they will ask you standard questions the main focus will be on the ROLE PLAY make sure you practice role playing over and over.

Interview Question – how do you get over rejection ?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – Electronic Invite from current employee accelerated application turn around time to about 3 days after sending application in. Had that gone well I would have been brought in for a 3 person interview on site in their offices.

Interview Question – Phone interview was around Ten minutes with me doing all the talking, interviewer did not seem particularly engaged. I am not just out of college so multiple times it was mentioned by the interviewer that this would be "cold calls all day long" as if to see if I really wanted to do that (I don't think anyone does) despite their "cool" offices, but I made it seem I was eager to cold call. Perhaps I wasn't so convincing.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in December 2013.

Interview Details – Initial Phone Screening. Went on site. 3 Rounds of Interviews. All were Role Play along with basic interview questions. First interview was securing another meeting over the phone. Second interview was selling Yelp to a pizzeria in your territory. Third interview I had to choose a product I was passionate about and then sell that product over its competitor.

Interview Question – What is something you are passionate about? Then you will have to sell the chosen product over its competitor.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied.. heard back about a month later about setting up a phone interview. I was then contacted by a recruiter sending me detailed information about yelp to review for the interview. About a day later I was contacted by a hiring manager VIA phone. We talked detailed information about YELP and their product. He then asked me to schedule an in person interview. In person I interviewed with three different hiring managers. The interview was very laid back and fun.

Interview Question – They will ask you to complete a sale. Be sure to remember what each interviewer tells you because they look for their feedback while you make a sale. Be sure to answer many questions and be enthusiastic.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation . Entry-level position. AMAZING benefits.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – I submitted my application and they emailed me a week later to set up a phone interview. Had phone interview, they asked for in person interview, i declined.

Interview Question – "What is your Dream job?" I then told the girl that it was to be community manager, and she said to me, "WELL, I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR A SALESPERSON HERE AT YELP TO MOVE INTO COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT AND THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE TAKE THIS JOB THINKING THEY CAN MOVE AROUND AND YOU JUST CANT DO THAT HERE"   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I dont want to work for a company that downright does not support employee growth and happiness.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter a few days later. Passed an initial phone screening and then set up an onsite interview to meet with 3 different sales training managers in the NYC office.

80% of the interview is role playing...most important part is make sure you implement all the feedback they give you and REMEMBER IT - the next person interviewing you will ask you about your previous experience.

I thought it went well, even though it was a bit awkward doing the role playing, and had a positive vibe upon leaving, but apparently I wasn't what they were looking for, as I didn't get an offer. Maybe the fact that I have no sales experience hurt, but this was portrayed to me as an entry level position where they

Interview Question – Why do you want to go into cold calling sales, where 90% of people will hang up on you?   Answer Question

Sales Trainee Interview

Sales Trainee
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in November 2009.

Interview Details – Very casual interview, held in their yet to be open (basically empty) office space in Madison Sq. Park. Talked to 3 people.

Interview Question – Sales specific...   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – You have to do 3 sets of role play with 3 different interviewees. The first they ask you to pitch Yelp to a certain business and schedule an appointment by the end of the call. The second role play was a little more difficult because you had to pitch Yelp to a business that didn't want to use Yelp but Google instead. The third time you had to pitch something that you were passionate about. It's important to use their critiques from each role play and show your personality.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected if you read everything here-- the only thing was to not be nervous and just be yourself. It makes all the difference.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – The entire interview/hiring process was quick. Got an initial phone call (screening). Upon passing that, I was invited for an in-person interview. I was interviewed by three different people. At times, I got nervous but they made me feel comfortable and put me at ease. BE RECEPTIVE TO COACHING!

Interview Question – If a business owner says no, what would you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Entry-level sales position. Base salary then commission based on performance. No room for negotiation.