Yelp Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Apr 12, 2015
Updated Apr 12, 2015

Account Executive Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

The first interview was a 15-minute phone conversation in which I was asked very pointed situational questions. I was moved onto the next round, which was in their NYC corporate office and I met with 3 different sales managers. Each manager asked to do a role play, and would then ask what the previous manager had given me as feedback. They make it clear that this is a cold-calling sales position and you are on the phone 24/7. It seems to be a very supportive and laid back work environment, and if successful, can move through the ranks fairly quickly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you ran for something and lost - why did you think you lost?   Answer Question

AE Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY).

Interview

You will meet with 3 managers. They are interviewing often throughout the week and so don't put too much pressure on yourself. Basically just show you have a personality and that you are confident you can do the job. Recruiters have quotas too.

Interview Questions

• The better you are at thinking on your feet the more you prove you deserve the job. So I'm not going to give you this one.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations. You are paid what you're paid and if you keep pushing you make commission.

Sales Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY).

Interview

I was referred by a friend and was extended a phone interview the same week. I was invited to interview onsite less than a week after the phone interview. The office is large and VERY chaotic with about 60 visible sales execs. I was sat in a conference room and was visited separately by three different managers. They were all nice, but all seemed unprepared for the interview. They were dressed so casual that I felt self-conscious for wearing a suit. In fact, I felt like dressing formally actually hurt my chances of getting the job. Anyway, everyone I spoke to seemed eager to resume whatever it was they were doing before I showed up. It was actually pretty rude how indiscreet they were about checking the time. It was clear that I probably wasn't going to get it long before I left.

Interview Questions

• "If you were new and were asked to do an urgent task that you didn't know how to do, how would you go about doing it?"   1 Answer

Sales Executive Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied through the company website. Received a follow up email for a phone interview 2 days later. Easy 15 minute phone call asking about experiences. They will give you the topics you will need to know the basics of; knowledge of yelp, ad product they offer local business owners, why are you interested in high volume cold calling. Very friendly person doing the interview. I received a second interview, but chose not to follow up on. Realized I did not want a career in sales.

Interview Questions

• They will ask you questions about how your experience will relate to high volume cold calls. How will you deal with the fluctuations of the job?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

Process took a month. Applied online through job website. First phone call basic questions. 3 role plays scenario. Very organized structure seemed uninterested because they use the same organization for all clients.

Interview Questions

• If you are under quota with amount of calls what would you do?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

The other posts on the interview for the account executive position were very accurate. I had an initial phone screening and was invited in to the New York office for a face to face interview. Overall everyone in the office was very nice and it seemed like a fun place to work. There were interviews with three managers lasting about ten minutes each. General behavioral questions that you need to answer in the STAR format and also questions asking what you would do in specific situations in the office or on the phone with a potential client. Each of the managers had me do a role play and after giving me advice let me try it again. Also, the second and third managers will ask you how your previous interviews went- be sure to remember the advice from your previous role plays because they may ask about it. Be sure to take their advice and really don't be afraid to really push to sell their product. They want to see your enthusiasm and ability to take criticism and use it to improve on your performance. Good luck!

Account Executive Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online on Yelp website. I was contacted fairly quickly and conducted a phone screen interview. Basically they want to know that you are interested in working a 9-5 cold call position while maintaining a high volume of calls and hitting sales quotas. Was brought into the office for an in person interview. Met with three people discussing my background and qualifications, general questions. Then you do role plays with each person you meet. First one had me book a meeting with a busy potential customer. Next role play was to overcome an objection (customer wants to sign up with Facebook ads instead), and last was to sell something you're passionate about. Pretty standard interview no real curveballs if you read these reviews. I didn't get the job perhaps because of inexperience, but they are looking for personalities they can mold into a good salespeople. Just be yourself and show that you are bubbly, excited, outgoing and can think on your toes.

Interview Questions

• What is something that a family/friend would say about you, that you don't quite agree with   Answer Question

Associate Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

15 Min Phone interview, followed by an in-office interview. They ask about your sales experience and how you would handle customers. High recruiting volume at university job fairs, imply that they will take any majors.

Interview Questions

• Not really unexpected, "How would you react when you think you're about to close a sale, and the client backs out?"   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

The first phone interview is swift. You'll be asked: what do you know about us and the product we're offering; what do you know about what this position entails; why sales; why sales at Yelp. Any comment I made about myself, she called me on- wanted me to prove it. Then finally she explains the position and perks, which are exactly as they're listed on the job posting and then tells you if you're moving forward or not.

Interview Questions

• You said you have good interpersonal skills- prove it; tell me about a situation in which you employed them successfully.   1 Answer

Account Executive (Trainee) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

Phone screening first, visit to office site and interviewed with 3 managers back to back, open-house for new hires prior to start date. People were cool, culture was cool, but not the right environment for all.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no ngotiation