Yelp Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Mar 24, 2015
Updated Mar 24, 2015

Sales Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp.

I was referred by a friend and was extended a phone interview the same week. I was invited to interview onsite less than a week after the phone interview. The office is large and VERY chaotic with about 60 visible sales execs. I was sat in a conference room and was visited separately by three different managers. They were all nice, but all seemed unprepared for the interview. They were dressed so casual that I felt self-conscious for wearing a suit. In fact, I felt like dressing formally actually hurt my chances of getting the job. Anyway, everyone I spoke to seemed eager to resume whatever it was they were doing before I showed up. It was actually pretty rude how indiscreet they were about checking the time. It was clear that I probably wasn't going to get it long before I left.

Interview Questions
    • "If you were new and were asked to do an urgent task that you didn't know how to do, how would you go about doing it?"   View Answer

Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Applied through the company website. Received a follow up email for a phone interview 2 days later. Easy 15 minute phone call asking about experiences. They will give you the topics you will need to know the basics of; knowledge of yelp, ad product they offer local business owners, why are you interested in high volume cold calling. Very friendly person doing the interview. I received a second interview, but chose not to follow up on. Realized I did not want a career in sales.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you questions about how your experience will relate to high volume cold calls. How will you deal with the fluctuations of the job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

interviewed at Yelp in June 2014.

Process took a month. Applied online through job website. First phone call basic questions. 3 role plays scenario. Very organized structure seemed uninterested because they use the same organization for all clients.

Interview Questions
    • If you are under quota with amount of calls what would you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in June 2014.

The other posts on the interview for the account executive position were very accurate. I had an initial phone screening and was invited in to the New York office for a face to face interview. Overall everyone in the office was very nice and it seemed like a fun place to work. There were interviews with three managers lasting about ten minutes each. General behavioral questions that you need to answer in the STAR format and also questions asking what you would do in specific situations in the office or on the phone with a potential client. Each of the managers had me do a role play and after giving me advice let me try it again. Also, the second and third managers will ask you how your previous interviews went- be sure to remember the advice from your previous role plays because they may ask about it. Be sure to take their advice and really don't be afraid to really push to sell their product. They want to see your enthusiasm and ability to take criticism and use it to improve on your performance. Good luck!

Account Executive Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp.

Applied online on Yelp website. I was contacted fairly quickly and conducted a phone screen interview. Basically they want to know that you are interested in working a 9-5 cold call position while maintaining a high volume of calls and hitting sales quotas. Was brought into the office for an in person interview. Met with three people discussing my background and qualifications, general questions. Then you do role plays with each person you meet. First one had me book a meeting with a busy potential customer. Next role play was to overcome an objection (customer wants to sign up with Facebook ads instead), and last was to sell something you're passionate about. Pretty standard interview no real curveballs if you read these reviews. I didn't get the job perhaps because of inexperience, but they are looking for personalities they can mold into a good salespeople. Just be yourself and show that you are bubbly, excited, outgoing and can think on your toes.

Interview Questions
    • What is something that a family/friend would say about you, that you don't quite agree with   Answer Question

Associate Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yelp in April 2014.

15 Min Phone interview, followed by an in-office interview. They ask about your sales experience and how you would handle customers. High recruiting volume at university job fairs, imply that they will take any majors.

Interview Questions
    • Not really unexpected, "How would you react when you think you're about to close a sale, and the client backs out?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Yelp in April 2014.

The first phone interview is swift. You'll be asked: what do you know about us and the product we're offering; what do you know about what this position entails; why sales; why sales at Yelp. Any comment I made about myself, she called me on- wanted me to prove it. Then finally she explains the position and perks, which are exactly as they're listed on the job posting and then tells you if you're moving forward or not.

Interview Questions
    • You said you have good interpersonal skills- prove it; tell me about a situation in which you employed them successfully.   View Answer

Account Executive (Trainee) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Yelp in April 2014.

Phone screening first, visit to office site and interviewed with 3 managers back to back, open-house for new hires prior to start date. People were cool, culture was cool, but not the right environment for all.

no ngotiation

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp in April 2014.

applied online, passed the phone interview and scheduled a Skype interview, interviewed with three different people whole process was about an hour, position was a lot of cold calling. They were very nice. at the time applied to multiple yelp internships, and they asked why apply one internship over another (basic). Left room for a lot of my questions.

Interview Questions
    • wanted me to present a sales pitch--repetitive, but did not ask for any sales knowledge....so a little challenging without any idea of how a sales pitch would go... they considered themselves to have different competitors then those listed online.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Got a phone interview after I applied through linked in through a friend referral. First interview was a phone interview which was only 15 minutes asking you basic questions. Made it to the next round in person in NYC. Thought it went well.