Yelp

Updated Nov 7, 2014

2.9

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Yelp in November 2014.

I think the other negative reviews of Product Manager interviews tell most of the story.

Sure enough, the recruiter was 10 mins late to the call. No surprise based on what I'd read here. The recruiter provided some information on Yelp and the organization structure, and then asked me 6 questions. 3 PM related and 3 technical.

PM
1) What metrics do I think are important to Yelp?
2) How might I incentivize customer reviews?
3) Can't remember the third unfortunately. :(

Technical
1) Difference between GET and POST requests?
2) What is Big O notation?
3) How are domain name lookups handled?

I "passed" this so a Skype interview was scheduled. 30 mins consisted of the interviewer berating my startup that ran out of funding, 5 mins asking about a feature I might add to Yelp and how I would gauge its effectiveness (where the interviewer was just staring away disinterested I might add) and then finally time for questions.

I really took issue with this Skype interview. Not every startup has the same resources as Yelp, which I might add has never turned a profit. So to sit there and argue with me and insult me for having very limited resources and budget, and about how I go about things without the 8 figures of investment that Yelp has, is quite frankly stupid and shortsighted.

As a former Yelp Elite member with over 150 reviews, I will be deleting my account. I have no desire to provide value to such a shortsighted organization. Especially given Yelp's other corporate behavior with paid / filtered reviews.

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Product Manager Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yelp.

Talk to a recruiter first. She asked me some technical multiple choice questions and then had me do a very simple online coding question.

I later had a skype interview with a product manager. He asked me:
        -about previous products I've worked on and tell him how I made design decisions
        -what happens after you entire a url until you receive the page in front of you
        -how I would price a new life-lasting light bulb
        -how I would get in touch with businesses that aren't affiliated with yelp yet
        -coding question

Interview Questions
    • How I would get in touch with businesses that aren't affiliated with yelp.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Yelp.

Very quick - Phone screen with recruiter, homework, onsite with 3-4 people including VP's and other Product Managers. Some good questions asked, some not. They'll ask product design questions and a basic coding question to test your chops.

The recruiting team was unorganized, so watch out for that. Also, I felt that the product team was looking for a person to fill a role that I hadn't applied for nor was very interested in. What's been said before is true - they keep positions open on their jobs site without an actual req to fill; I felt that was rather disingenuous.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Yelp in June 2013.

After submitting my resume through the company's job portal, I received an invite to interview right away. I went off to do my research on Yelp, and found a lot of negative reviews. It looked like most of them were from sales positions, so I ignored them.

The day of the interview, the recruiter from Yelp was several minutes late in calling me. I understand things happen, but I thought this was unprofessional. When I answered, she asked me who I was again, and said she didn't have my resume up in front of her yet. Very unprofessional.

For the actual phone screen, she started by picking a position in my history at random, and then seemed disinterested in my response. I felt like she was just going through the motions of the phone screen, like all she did for her job was make 25 phone calls a day, and didn't care about the individual interviewee.

I asked questions about the specific role I was applying for, and her response was that they always have those positions open, it wasn't really to fill a specific need. This echos what some of the other reviews said about Yelp just being a body shop with a lot of turnover.

When the clock hit our pre-determined time limit, she said she would pass my resume along to the hiring manager and he'd contact me if he thought I was a good fit. A few days later, I followed up with them, and they let me know they decided to go in another direction. This closure was nice, at least.

In the end, I'm glad it worked out the way it did. Good riddance, Yelp.

Interview Questions
    • The recruiter asked me what position was most relevant to the Product Manager position I was interviewing for, and when I said "well, I've been a product manager at a major company for this many years, and I've done these things" she seemed put off.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

The hiring process was long. It consisted of a phone screening, remote aptitude test, follow up phone interview, and a final in-person interview in SF. The in-person interview was pretty miserable considering the fact they pass you around to several different people rather quickly, each person firing off questions completely unrelated to the other person. On a whole, it wasn't one of the more enjoyable interviews i've participated in. I certainly wouldn't run the same way...

Interview Questions
    • Hey...use this whiteboard and wireframe this thing on the spot (with no real context to the end user, design limitations, etc.) and tell us how you would build it...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp in June 2012.

I had an initial phone discussion with a recruiter to assess fit. It was interesting to learn that Yelp is seeking PM's that are primarily design-centric. In addition to the strong emphasis on design, they're looking for candidates with CS/software background. It ultimately wasn't a fit for either party but it was interesting to learn more about Yelp and their PM structure. It seems that they have about a dozen PM's with the CEO being involved quite a bit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in October 2011.

My 'interview' consisted of a 15-minute phone interview. I wouldn't really call it an interview since the recruiter said it was a formality in the process. Don't get too happy if you make it past this step.

After it, the recruiter sent over a case to tackle. The case was meaty, but given I have a pretty busy full-time job, I told him that it'd take a few days to get back. No worries. I spent several hours on the weekend working on it and sent it back. I thought it was pretty reasoned / thought-out. I looked at several examples of other successful companies doing something similar and thought what I proposed was better or at least in the ballpark. If not, I figured that I demonstrated enough design skills (they wanted to see my visual design / wire framing skills) to give me a chance to make the case in an in-person interview.

Sadly, a few days later, I got a standard form rejection letter. It happens, but it would have been nice to get some simple personalization (if not feedback) in my standard form rejection letter given I spent a good chunk of time working on it. Even better, it would have been great to have a real first-round interview where they ask me questions and I ask them questions and I know there is a basic fit before I invest time on a case.

I still love Yelp, but the recruiting process does not leave a good look for Yelp.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in January 2011.

I was given a call by the corporate recruiter. He seemed OK - asked me some fair questions and said to proceed further, I'd like to send you a UI design (wireframing) test. He sent me an open ended problem to design.

I was surprised to see this test - because typically such design tests are asked in interviews and people generally expect you to whiteboard a design.

In any case, I created a UI mockup and sent it to them along with the assumptions I had made, what other UI's I'd need to design in addition to the one asked, and description of interactions on the screen. I got no response from them. I pinged them back after 4-5 days. The recruiter gets back to me saying that they had changed the design and made it more complicated than the one before. He also said that a "lot of candidates" had presented the same design. I was taken aback. I don't see any issue with complicating a design, but, honestly I would prefer doing this in a 1:1 interview. If they wanted to assess that I had wireframing and pixel-perfect design skills, they had accomplished that with the first design test. I smelt fraud in here.

I thought about the test again, gave them the benefit of doubt and redid the design and sent it to them. This time, I created a little spec with more details in addition to the wireframe. Again no response. I pinged him after a few days. He said that he had sent me an email a "while back" to say that I had not been accepted. The "while back" happened to be 2 minutes before the response to my email. I was furious.

I accept the fact that my design may not have met their requirements. However, I think this conduct was totally unethical. They were fishing for design solutions.

Product Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in February 2011.

Screener interview with recruiter, followed by two phone interviews with PMs, then a design task, then one day of on-site interviews (4-5 interviews with PMs, engineers, and designers). The interviews were professional and relatively standard, and I was overall pleased with the recruiting process.