Yelp Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Apr 22, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

So after I applied on online, 15 mins later I got an email about a phone call interview. This was the first time a job posting has replied to me so fast, I felt very confident. After the phone interview went well, I was asked to come into the office for a onsite interview.

So I drove an hour an a half into SF and spent near $50 for food,gas and parking for this interview. It was roughly an hour long, 40 mins of actual time spent with question and the rest was just me waiting for these two managers to speak to me. They both worked role playing stuff with me and then it ended with them saying "you obviously meet the requirement for someone in this position, we're excited to even have someone like you interview" then he discussed benefits and salary. We talked about my future here at the company as he walked me out.

All of this and I get an AUTOMATED email 2 days later that said they decided to go with another applicant.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I had a total of 7 interviews. The interviewers were incredibly nice and personable with the exception being one VP. They didn't take notes at all during the process which led to me answering the same question at least 3 times. They make you pay for your own travel and then reimburse you 6 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• How does your background correlate to this specific role?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Put in an app roughly a month ago. Set up a phone interview within a couple of days and then went smoothly. Were trying to gauge your personality and ask why you are interested in this position. A little bit of background information with 1 role play by just leaving a voicemail to a company.

Next was an in-person interview which occurred about 2 1/2 weeks later. This was a little bit more nerve racking going in but once i stepped in and began talking to them all the butterflies went out because they are so welcoming and nice to you. Asked a couple more personal questions about yourself and why would you make an ideal candidate. Then 1 role play from the first interviewer which asked get to an owner via a receptionist then another from the next interviewer asking you to sell a brand you use.

Main qualities you want to show are your ability to implement feedback, your resilience and your personality.

Account Executive Sales Interview

Application

Interview

Emailed me and offered an introductory phone interview, completed that and was invited to do a Skype interview with 2 separate hiring managers. Invited me for a Skype interview, spoke to the first manager, then waited on hold for 30 minutes and the second manager blew me off. Left me on an open Skype call staring at an empty conference room.

Interview Questions

• Would You be willing to relocate?   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I had an amazing and humane treatment. The company and Terry were amazing. The entire interview process was ran well. The interview team was awesome, with good questions. Too bad that the team believes more in the so-called "Product Intuition" aka "Touchy Feelly" approach, and not into the data-driven PM approach. Big kudos to my Talent Acquisition expert, Terry. @Joe Stoppelman, you're very lucky to have such excellent sources as Terry. Good job, guys!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone call from the recruiter asking about experience, desired work culture, Followed by an Online Test (14 CS fundamental questions) and one Coding Test (Time felt pretty short while attempting the coding question), 45 min Technical Skype Interview and lastly Onsite interviews.

Interview Questions

• Given two sparse Vectors, compute the Dot Product.
      Input Format : The first line will contain two numbers(k and n), which are the number of entries for the two vectors respectively.
      The next k lines are the entries for the first vector, of the form : x y
      where x is the position and y is the value at that position in the vector.
      The n lines are the entries of the second vector.
      Any entries not specified indicate zero at that position.
      The two vectors will always be of the same length

Example input:
      3 3
      1 4
      4 2
      5 3
      1 7
      2 6
      5 1

Sample Answer: Dot Product = 4*7+3*1 = 31 (only print 31)

1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I inquired about the position and received an email a few days later for a phone interview. On the phone interview the recruiter read over a template and asked 'Why Yelp?' 'What do you have to offer?' and went over my resume. On the call I needed to leave a voicemail for a merchant who hasn't picked up the phone in the hopes that she would answer.

After that interview I was asked to do a skype interview and had to wait about three weeks to have that done. The interview consisted of two 20 minute interviews. One from a trainer and the second from a very kind sales manager. These interviews were very easy and only one of them consisted a role play. The role play was simple, you needed to schedule an appointment with a business.

5 days after that skype interview I was told I made it throught that part of the hiring process and was asked to do a webinar and background check. I passed all and was offered a position within 4 days of taking the webinar.

Overall very easy interview process. Make sure you are confident and comfortable!

User Operations Associate Interview

Application

Interview

Applied online and got a phone screen by a recruiter. After that I was offered an online test with sample scenario questions. The online test was timed and you could do it at your own home. If you pass the test you are offered an in-person interview. The interview was with 3 people at their headquarters. There were two people from the team and the one person from another team. They asked very general questions that you'd expect from an interview. There wasn't anything funky like "what superhero would you be." After the interview I got a response via email about 4 days later saying i was not selected for the job. All the people were pleasant to work with and kind.

Software Engineer (Web Developer) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

First an initial phone screen with recruiter. After asking me some basic information, she gave me a link to the online coding challenge. The online coding challenge is easy, but covers many aspect of Computer Science, like Linux knowledges, algorithm knowledges, HTTP knowledges etc.

Then I was scheduled to a 45-mins interview with an engineer via Skype. Asked about backgrounds according your resume, just common chatting. Then wrote code on an online editor. The coding question is very basic. I was asked to write in JavaScript.

Then scheduled to 45*2mins back-to-back Skype interviews with an engineer and a manager from Yelp Consumer team. The process is somehow very similar to the first Skype interview. Except for that the coding questions were more challenging. You can choose whatever language you want, and I still stood with JavaScript.

Overall experience was very positive. The recruiter was very responsive.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone interview first. Easy.
    In person:
    Be there 15 mins early.
    My recruiter told me to be there 10 early (850 am) and called me at 845 asking where I was...
    Recruiter walked myself and another interviewee around the office where there was blaring pop music on the sales floor.
    Then walked us to our separate interview rooms. Waited for about ten minutes.
    First interviewer came in, Taylor. Really sweet.
    We did role playing. She didn't really care to get to know me all too much.
    *PREPARE WITH ROLE PLAYING*
    Waited another ten minutes.
    Second interviewer entered, he was a Sales Manager.
    Not very friendly. Not personable.
    Asked how last interview went.
    Asked what feedback I was given.
    Then we did a role play scenario.

Interview Questions

• Why Sales? What do you know about Yelp?
      Role playing:
      -Call a local hair salon and try to get through to the owner via the receptionist.
      -I'm a local pizza shop and I'm calling to tell you that I've decided to go with a newspaper ad instead.

1 Answer