Yelp

Average Difficulty
179 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – The interview process seemed to move quite quickly a few days after I applied I was emailed about a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 15 minutes. Reviewing the material the human resources rep sent before hand really helped. They asked "Why Yelp?" and asked me to do a role play. The role play was leaving a voicemail for a client that has been missing previous appointments. I was asked to come in to the office for an in person interview. The in person interview was a panel interview. I was put into a small room and the interviewers roasted in. Some of the questions they asked me was "what is the hardest thing you have done recently?" "What's the difference between the current company you worked for and Yelp." "Tell me about me about a time where you really messed something up at work?" Each interviewer asked me to do a role play. They interview lasted about an hour.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you screwed something up?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was set up with a phone interview and was extremely unimpressed. I had an interview with an engineer who spoke extremely softly with a slight accent. The interview turned into a rapid fire Q&A session in which I could barely understand and hear the interviewer.

Interview Question – Interviewer asked about very specific UNIX command-line inputs and what they do   Answer Question

User Operations Associate Interview

User Operations Associate
San Francisco, CA

I interviewed at Yelp in January 2013.

Interview Details – first was an over the phone interview with a recruiter then an in person interview, it was done in two segments, first segment was about half an hour with two managers, and the second segment was another half an hour with two other managers. after was a content review test asking random questions regarding the type of content you'd normally see from the site while working in this role.

Interview Question – content sample questions were kind of tough but manageable. basically asking you to use your best judgement.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Yelp in June 2014.

Interview Details – Got contacted by the recruiter. Had a short phone screening first, was asked with basic questions like: why yelp, your interests, etc. and then was asked a series of short knowledge-based technical questions which were already mentioned here. Second interview was over Skype, was asked questions about past work experiences, databases, and OS. The interviewer was a bit impatient when I talked about stuff that didn't interest him.

Interview Question – find the sum of two integers represented as strings, return the sum as string, i.e "123" and "456" would return "579".   View Answers (2)

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – Submitted Application through career center website. Within 2 days I had an email to set up a phone interview. It was under 10 minutes and we had a very casual conversation about the company and why I wanted to work at Yelp doing sales and a few questions about my resume. Pretty standard stuff, no curveballs. End of the phone interview immediately scheduled an in-person interview at Yelp the following week. Met with 3 Sales Managers. Each about 15 minutes and had a different role play: #1 Working for Yelp, pretend Im a pizza place and try to get the manager on the phone. #2 Im calling in to cancel my advertisement with yelp, try and talk me out of it. #3 Sell me something of your choice--product, movie, realy anything.... First one was by far the most difficult but they just want you to take their criticism and use it to progress throughout the interviews. Be yourself and take into account their advice and use it!!! Very relaxed environment-- interviewed in Khaki's and a button up and was easily propoerly dressed

Interview Question – Give me an example of you using persuasion.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Sales
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – Pretty straightforward overall. For me it was a phone interview and then one over skype. They asked me a lot about the products they offer. Then they had me go through a scenario where I was a yelp employee and had to talk to a business owner about the importance of yelp toward the business. Interviewer was pretty passive overall and he didn't seem like he was interested in what he was doing. All I saw this was an opportunity to get more experience interviewing.

Interview Question – Sell me something. Anything.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – Very quick - Phone screen with recruiter, homework, onsite with 3-4 people including VP's and other Product Managers. Some good questions asked, some not. They'll ask product design questions and a basic coding question to test your chops.

The recruiting team was unorganized, so watch out for that. Also, I felt that the product team was looking for a person to fill a role that I hadn't applied for nor was very interested in. What's been said before is true - they keep positions open on their jobs site without an actual req to fill; I felt that was rather disingenuous.

Interview Question – Re-design Yelp's business profile page.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Yelp in October 2013.

Interview Details – After applying online I received an email with time options for a phone interview. The guy who called was really nice and personable, he made me feel very comfortable on the phone and immediately offered me an in person interview. He told me I was a shoe-in for the job.

I live 2 hours outside of the city and left my house close to 6 hours early to make sure I had plenty of time to make it to the interview. There was a tractor-trailer accident on the 101 involving 5 cars and a truck, which completely closed down the highway. I could see the accident from my car. I called to tell them I was on my way, but at this point I was an hour to interview time and still stuck. The woman who answered told me I better try my best to get there, that if I didn't make it I wouldn't have another opportunity.

The highway opened up fifteen minutes later and I weaved through cars and sped to get there. I walked in with two minutes to spare, slightly disheveled, but on time.

I was led to a tiny room and told to wait. I could hear a Skype interview in the next room, loud and clear, so I had was mildly pre-pared for what was coming next. After waiting 20 minutes, a girl walked in wearing a super short dress and large platform heels. She was towering over me and I could almost see her butt. I was wearing slacks, and a blazer. She definitely gave me the once over and did not like how conservative I had dressed, she made this clear. She asked me a series of questions, glaring at me after each answer. She finally rolled her eyes and told me to wait, then left the room.

Five minutes later another girl wearing a short dress and heels walked in. This one was much nicer and even commented on how I "must be hot in all those clothes". She asked me to do a sales pitch, smiled and told me to wait for girl number three.

Three was also wearing a dress. I guess I should have thrown out the "dress professionally" advice I'd always heard.

When she finished she walked me out to the door, hugged me and told me it was awesome meeting me. The whole time we walked girl number one glared at me, not sure what I did to insult her. Girl number three told me they would be in touch within a week. The next day I got an email from girl number one telling me I wasn't a "good fit" for Yelp.

Interview Question – Pretend I'm a tanning salon. Tell me, in detail, the services we could advertise on Yelp.   View Answer

Account Executive- Sales New Grad Interview

Account Executive- Sales New Grad
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in May 2014.

Interview Details – I literally just finished my Skype interview like 10 minutes ago.
I had applied online for the New Grad Sales position. After a couple days I was contacted by the recruiter to discuss my background a bit more as well as the position. I then had a phone interview with an Account Manager from the Phoenix, AZ office where we discussed the interviewer's background as well as mine. Then she asked me:

1. What is the product we are selling?
2. Why sales?

(I forgot the others)

Just finished my Skype interview where I chatted with 3 different Account Managers in the SF office. The first one went well. They will ask you to sell them a Yelp ad package, but they might not be interested. Just ask questions and stay friendly. Sometimes the interviewer didn't seem like he wanted to be there and acted uninterested. Don't let that intimidate you...they could be your future bosses. Stay positive and upbeat.

Interview Question – What is something your friends or family would say about you that isn't true?   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in March 2014.

Interview Details – phone interview, real interview with questions such as sell me any item. Improvements are suggested after third person you speak with and they are seeing if you can adapt your sales improvisation using their suggestion.

Interview Question – why do you think you'd be good in sales when you have no real sales experience?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They were supposed to get back to me within a few days. They waited two weeks to call me when I assumed I didn't get the job and had already accepted an offer elsewhere. I really wanted this job too, such a shame.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Yelp

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!

Yelp Videos

Yelp – Why Work for Us?

Yelp (NYSE: YELP) connects people with great local businesses. Yelp was founded in San Francisco in July 2004. Since then, Yelp communities have taken root in major metros across the US, Canada, UK, Ireland, France… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yelp interview questions and advice in San Francisco, CA. All 179 interview reviews posted anonymously by Yelp employees and interview candidates.