Yelp

Updated Dec 16, 2014

208 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in December 2014.

Applied on iOS developer position. First step is 15-min phone (Skype) screening with Technical Recruiter. We went through my experience and motivation about working at Yelp. After that she asked about 10 technical questions - algorithms complexity, data structures, nothing much advanced - the same things from others' reviews. I also had opportunity to ask about Yelp and whole recruitment process. In the end of interview she said, that I passed to the next step and we arranged a time for technical 45-min interview.
    Technical interview was 2 days after phone screen. It was Skype video call with Yelp iOS engineer. We've used coderpad.io for online coding exercise, it was anagram-related task. Language of your choice (but they like Python). After my first solution, interviewer asked about its complexity and how we can improve it. There also were a number of simple iOS-related questions. And again it is the time to ask questions about their workflow. Interviewer writes your questions down, so be sure to have some interesting questions to ask :)
    Received rejection email in one week.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in December 2014.

I was contacted about an interview after applying with my resume at a college career fair.
    The first round interview was a non-technical one regarding my interests going forward and such. There was almost no discussion of experience or any technical topic but perhaps was more of a sanity check. I was then contacted about a technical phone interview. The interview was straightforward and proceeded using collabedit as the platform for responding to technical questions in the language of my choosing. This was fairly simple and went fine. A few weeks later I was contacted regarding an onsite and went to the San Francisco office. They were gracious enough to let me take the interviews in the afternoon as I had a conference call I had to attend during lunch. The interviews consisted of four 45-minutes technical interviews 3 of which were conducted by team leads and the other by a very senior engineer. They were generally pleasant and interesting to talk to. I ended up not performing great on them in particular the questions about certain technical topics I was not familiar with (certain object oriented concepts and design patterns). Not sure exactly what the exact consideration were but I was not made an offer.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to implement a function to take a collection of SET cards and identify a set if it exists or return a error status or something similar if it does not. This is according to the rules of teh game "SET" which you should look up for context.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

First Contact after applying: seems to check if you are not crazy and you know about the job.
    Second contact: panel interview. Mine was on skype, so one person interviews you and then they leave the room, then the next, then the next. (3 people total) be prepared to do some role plays of cold calling especially closing... He was a tough cookie and would not budge. Be mildly aggressive with getting the deal.
    Third Contact: Background check, and webinar explaining pay structure.

Interview Questions
    • Role play: You have a business owner who you presented to last week and he said he needed some time to think. You are calling to close the deal.

Interviewer: will be subborn says no, says he will put a local print ad, says he does not have the money

Interviewee: Must close, be more confident, flat out say we need to sign you up basically for advertising with us.

Answer Question

PAY my first year is too low compared to other companies

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Applied on Yelp's website and was e-mailed a few days later to take a quick online test. Then I was called a few days later for a phone interview and then came into the SF office for an in-person interview with 3 hiring managers. They allocated 20min time slots to do a one-on-one interview with each of the hiring managers.

Interview Questions
    • A company tells you that they need a few days to think about the Yelp service you are selling them. A few days later you call them back and they say that they still need more time. At this point you know that they are just trying to avoid you but you need to meet your quota. How do you approach the conversation?   Answer Question
    You can't negotiate. You have to take what you get.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp.

Applied online and was told to take an online quiz. After that, within a few days, I set up an appointment for the phone interview. The total amount of time was within a week or so. Next I have the in-person interview coming up so hopefully, all goes well and I'll get good news from them! The phone interviewer was really friendly and enthusiastic. They seem to be looking for people with more experience even though they said that some employees started off with no sales experience. I think it really depends on how well you sell yourself to make you look like the best-fit candidate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Yelp in November 2014.

There were 3 steps. Apply online and after they send a link to take a test.
    It consist of mainly personality test and misspelled words to see if you pay attention to detail.
    Then phone interview and one on one interview

Interview Questions
    • Sell me a pen. You have to ask a lot of questions of to the person and in this manner you have information to sell the item. The idea is to see your sales skills on the spot.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Applied and got an email to fill out a questionnaire that comes off as difficult but it's not. Just want to see what you would do in certain situations. From there, you get a phone interview that just sees why you're interested in Yelp and Sales. Be sure to study up on the position from the information they email you. Then you'll do an in person interview with 3 sales managers.

Interview Questions
    • Role Plays: First is schedule a meeting. tips: be direct and try to schedule the meeting off the bat. Second is that the customer doesn't want to use the service anymore. Tips: Ask a lot of questions. Overall use their advice and if given another chance to try again, take it   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Overall, I did not have the best experience with Yelp. The interviewers seemed kind of in a hurry to get through my interview and were not at all familiar with my resume (one thought I had sales experience, but I don't). So the feeling of being rushed, along with the fact that the interviewers were unprepared really put me off.

After the phone interview (which is really easy, honestly I think they just want to make sure you can hold a conversation and are not a psycho), they had me come in for an on-site interview. As far as the structure, it's a 3 part interview with role play (which is a little awkward--googling some cold calling role play scenarios and practicing will help you get over it). They give you feedback after each scenario and the next interviewer will ask you what the feedback was, and expect you to implement it. Each interviewer also asked some standard interview questions. A few that come to mind are why yelp? Why sales? What is something you've had to work hard for? A time you messed up?

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about time when you worked really hard for something and didn't get it.   Answer Question

Interviewers' attitudes were off putting.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yelp.

I applied through their website and was contacted by one of their recruiters. The standard questions (found in other reviews but also a couple specific to my field) were quickly asked, it sounded like he had more questions but since I answered them easily he organised the next phone interview.

I had 2-3 phone interviews, they were all about medium difficulty, nothing super hard but did require a bit of thinking.

I then did an on-site, a nice small tour of the office and then 4x45min interview sessions. They all started off asking me about my experience, a bunch of questions specific to my area and then into the white board exercises. The whiteboard exercises were about medium to hard difficulty, some relatively straight forward, others did require more thought. I had been going through a lot of online questions (elitecoder, etc.) and also had done a couple of other interviews which asked very similar questions, so that helped a lot.

Everyone was super nice and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • I was talking about how Yelp wasn't that big in another country, I got asked 'Why do you think it isn't big and what would you do to improve adoption?'. Threw me for a bit in a software engineering interview.   Answer Question
    Negotiation went very well. I was offered more than I asked for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in October 2014.

Very straightforward. Applied online, took a test, and then got a 15 min interview. Overall the experience was pleasant and fun. Spoke to someone in the Phoenix office and she was very knowledgeable. You are expected to do your research beforehand so that you can answer all the questions about the company.