Yelp Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2014

65 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Yelp in June 2014.

Got contacted by the recruiter. Had a short phone screening first, was asked with basic questions like: why yelp, your interests, etc. and then was asked a series of short knowledge-based technical questions which were already mentioned here. Second interview was over Skype, was asked questions about past work experiences, databases, and OS. The interviewer was a bit impatient when I talked about stuff that didn't interest him.

Interview Questions
  • find the sum of two integers represented as strings, return the sum as string, i.e "123" and "456" would return "579".   View Answers (3)

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Yelp in January 2014.

I sent my application online and few days after I receive an email asking me for an appointment for a phone interview.

Recruiting team called me and I can not hear to much. It was a noisy eviroment... Basic questions but finally she told me that She'll call me one year later..

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Yelp.

Contacted by a recruiter for a web development position, Asked some very basic CS questions on screening. Next round was taken by a software engineer on skype. Firstly, a brief discussion on resume which was followed by technical questions (most web related) based on the answers that was given. Then coding problem on an online editor.

Interview Questions
    • Basic Javascript Questions and concepts, one coding problem. Level easy. Was not prepared well for the interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in October 2013.

Met at a career fair had a good talk with the recruiters and I got emailed a few weeks later. A phone interview was set up. The interviewer was really kind and we had a good conversation about my interests and the company along with the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard questions SQL, Linux, one sorting question, a few on bits and bytes   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

I contacted a recruiter and sent my resume to her. I was then contacted with an initial phone screening. Screening had a few behavioural questions (Why yelp, 3 things looking for in an internship etc) and a series of easy technical questions, all of which can be found on glassdoor. I was told immediately at the end of the call that I passed and then moved on to a skype interview. Interviewer was a little unprepared because my original interviewer got pulled for a meeting last minute. She picked some knowledge based questions to ask me based on my resume (sql questions, pros and cons of Java, C, C++). Coding question was a little tricky but if you know your data structures its not hard. They are just looking for the most efficient way to solve the problem. I didnt code the most efficient way but then when asked if I could make it better I thought of a better way and told her. I passed that round and then moved on to two back-to-back skype interviews. First one was tough as it was with a manager. He grilled me on my past experience and asked two technical questions along with a coding question. Second interview went really well with an engineer working under that manager. Asked me a mix of behavioural and technical questions along with a coding question. Im pretty sure I wowed the engineer but not the manager. I got both of the coding questions right. I didnt move on from there though but overall great experience and extremely friendly interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • Write a text wrapper function which takes a width in pixels and a String and returns a String with new lines inserted. (You are also given a function which takes a string and gives you a pixel width).   Answer Question
    • Write a function which reverses a linked list.   Answer Question
    • # List of tickets, in the form (origin, destination)
      ORIGINAL_TICKETS = [
        ('CDG', 'DXB'),
        ('DXB', 'HKG'),
        ('HKG', 'HAM'),
      ]
      Write a function which given the original origin, find the final destination. Then write a function that would find both the original origin and final destination with only access to that ticket list. Finally write a function that finds a missing ticket given the original origin and final destination.
        View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

*First interview with HR about motivation, general resume questions, objectives, and some quick technical questions about general computer science (they can be found here on glassdoor).
    *Second interview with an engineer, questions about projects on the resume, the most challenging aspect of the projects, motivation question again (why Yelp?), UNIX questions about commands and options and a trivial technical programming question. At the end there are some minutes to ask questions to the interviewer (in each interview)

Software Engineer Intern Interview

The first round is trivial. It's all like a quiz such as the linux command and what's inner join and outer join question. And some behavior like what yelp?

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Yelp.

Applied through their website. Received an email asking for a quick chat. Arranged within the week. Some chit-chat and then some rapid-fire technical questions. By the end of the conversation i was informed that i passed the round and we should arranged a skype interview with an engineer. Received an email a few days later that the intern positions were full.

Interview Questions
    • - port and protocol of HTTP
      - what ssl stands for and used for
      - how many bits to represent an octad digit
      - max int with unsigned 32bit
      - what structure for binary search: linked list or sorted array?
      - insertion time in a linked list
        Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Yelp in February 2014.

Connected in university career fair. First phone round is the same as those posted already. Second phone round starts with one of my project, and switch to an interesting open question. Later the engineer gave me a online coding link and let me write and run my code to a question (implementation question). He later asked for some improvement and generalization but I already ran out of time.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Got the phone screen pretty quickly and was called by a recruiter for a pretty short conversation. The recruiter was really flexible about my schedule and a nice guy. Started the conversation with a few questions about what I would be interested in doing at the company, what my favorite languages to code in are. Then he asked some rapid-fire knowledge-based questions. They're on here for the most part--can't remember any that arent. He let me know at the end of the screen that I qualified for the interview with an engineer which we set up on the spot

Interview Questions

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!