Yelp

Updated Feb 20, 2015
Updated Feb 20, 2015

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Met an on-campus recruiter during a college career fair. Got an email within a week. Was given a phone screen, a coding test and then a Skype screen. The first one was behavioral and the Skype screening was completely technical. The interview was average. Know your data structures and be prepared to talk about past projects !

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Yelp.

- 20 min phone screening, asked about background, interest, past projects
    - 30 min web-based code exam
    - 45 min skype interview, in-depth questions on past experience, also asked to complete a code test
    - onsite interview

Interview Questions
    • Any experience with database. Was asked to code on screen and talk through thought processes. What is the asymptotic complexity of the code. The interviewer is very friendly.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yelp.

Interview process was very welcoming, prompt and interesting.
    1. A phone interview with a recruiter asking the question (that apparently) you can find here.
    2. A Skype interview, telling about yourself for 20-30 minutes + technical part for 20-30 minutes.
    3. An onsite interview, 4 session of ~55 minutes each (5 minutes brake between each interview).
    You are interviewing for a specific group, 3 team members in that group and a manager.

The process in overall was the best one I have had out of many interviews for all famous companies.
    Yelp seems like a great company with a promising future, and still you get having
    a lot of impact comparing to other big companies.

Interview Questions
    • Very specific questions related to the team you are interviewing for.
      Trees, hashes, sets, searching algorithms, big data, and in general, thinking outside the box.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Started with an online application followed by a phone interview. Then Skype interview for an hour. The interviewer was super friendly. I got stuck couple of times but he patiently guide me through the technical questions dropping multiple hints every now and then. Ultimately no offer but overall great experience.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yelp.

The process goes like this:

-Submit resume
    -Initial phone screen - "Who are you and why do you want to work for Yelp?"
    -Online coding challenge
    -45 minute technical Skype interview
    -Two back-to-back Skype technical interviews, each 1 hour, with a manager and a senior software engineer
    -Then if you're lucky at this point you'll get an offer, but I wasn't as lucky.

Interview Questions
    • Initial phone screen: CS trivia, all of which can be found here.   Answer Question
    • Online coding challenge: You have a dataset in a plain text file, and you basically have to data-structure-ize it, and sort it.   Answer Question
    • First Skype interview: You have a user-submitted review (basically just a paragraph of 5ish sentences). Design and write an algorithm to break up the review into sentences, and put it in a list/array data structure. (The goal of this question, I think, was to see how you can cleverly figure out how to deal with non-standard punctuation)   Answer Question
    • Final round Skype interview 1: Parsing, data-structure-izing, and drawing conclusions from a large dataset in a plain text file. (The interviewer told me that the problem he had me solve was a real problem the engineering team encountered a few weeks back)   Answer Question
    • Final round Skype interview 2: (1) He gave me a segment of Javascript code and asked me what it does. It was a trick question because it doesn't actually do what it seems to do. (2) You're told to make an image slideshow from a bunch of URLs in a MySQL database. Talk through how you would design the backend and frontend to do this. (3) Categorize a list of words into its anagrams (see other Glassdoor reviews for this question)   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Very straightforward process. Lasted for about two weeks. Applied at the University career fair and got talked to a recruiter for 15 min. Short coding assessment on hackerrank. After that scheduled for a phone technical interview. The interview question was not very hard but I could not answer the problem so did not get to next round.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yelp.

Yelp took a long time to get back to me. I applied through a referral process and had my contact mention to his recruiter that I had an offer deadline coming up, this sped up the process. I wouldn't expect to hear back sooner than a few months after applying if you don't have a referral.

Initial phone interview - Simple 20 minute HR interview

Online coding screen - short easy coding question and 10 fast knowledge based questions. Definitely look at the other reviews on here to answer these. It's strange that they ask these questions because most of them are only testing familiarity with Unix.

Skype interview - met with a really nice guy and he asked me a difficult coding question. I couldn't come up with an optimal solution to his questions, but he was okay with me coding the naive version. I finished a working version of the naive version and made it to the onsite.

Onsite - 4 45 minute interviews back to back. Stressful, but not impossible and everyone I met with was great. They focus pretty heavily on knowledge based questions: about Java garbage collectors, stack vs heap questions, threading practices, some simple networking stuff, compression, encryption, Android specifics. All very high level just to test your breadth of knowledge. These I did very poorly on. There were also 4 algorithm based coding questions on a whiteboard which I answered with optimal, working solutions.

Apparently they put more weight on the knowledge based questions, as I did not receive an offer. Overall Yelp had a really organized, fast, and friendly interview experience. I was unprepared for the emphasis on knowledge based questions.

Interview Questions
    • No one difficult question, just a lot of random questions from all fields of CS.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Yelp.

I applied through HR. Did an online test. The test included multiple choices questions that related to computer network, programming. There is also a programming question. The questions are not too hard but they are time limited. I couldn't finish them on time.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in January 2015.

I directly contacted a recruiter for an advertised position and got an answer quickly. I was invited for a first short interview with a tech-recruiter (20 min, just some very general questions about my background) and another phone conversation with an engineer (25 min, also still very relaxed, mainly about my background and interests). I was not asked the "typical" questions mentioned here before.

After that I was scheduled for a technical interview over Skype:
    - Lasted around 60 min (including a 30 min code exercise with coderpad)
    - 5 min on background
    - 15 min general tech questions (what happens when you type in a URL into your browser, data structures/ implementation and use, database)
    - 30 min code exercise
    - another 10 min to ask questions

Overall very pleasant interview process. Nothing unexpected, the questions were not particularly hard, but I was not perfectly prepared.

Interview Questions
    • Data structures, hash map, web technologies (make sure to understand this, since Yelp is a web company), search algorithms, code exercise   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Three round interview, including one phone interview, one skype interview and onsite interview. Besides those, there is also a online code test which is simple.
    phone interview is easy. HR ask you some behavioral questions such as Why Yelp, Salary expectation and job expectation.