Yelp

Updated Dec 9, 2014

2.9

144 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Met them at a college fair and they gave me an interview. First step was an HR session, which was just asking what you think about the company. Next step was a online coding challenge from hacker rank which had 10 minutes to do 12 short answer questions, things like terminal commands, SSL, SQL, and so on. The next part of the coding challenge has a short answer programming question which anyone with some basic programming knowledge should be able to do. Next step was a 1 hour skype interview.

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yelp.

Met with recruiter on college fair. Two weeks later, she emailed to have a phone screen. The phone screen was really easy, pretty tested basic knowledge. I was moved on to a phone interview with an engineer. The interviewer asked about me and then moved on to a coding problem. It was not bad.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in December 2014.

I was contacted about an interview after applying with my resume at a college career fair.
    The first round interview was a non-technical one regarding my interests going forward and such. There was almost no discussion of experience or any technical topic but perhaps was more of a sanity check. I was then contacted about a technical phone interview. The interview was straightforward and proceeded using collabedit as the platform for responding to technical questions in the language of my choosing. This was fairly simple and went fine. A few weeks later I was contacted regarding an onsite and went to the San Francisco office. They were gracious enough to let me take the interviews in the afternoon as I had a conference call I had to attend during lunch. The interviews consisted of four 45-minutes technical interviews 3 of which were conducted by team leads and the other by a very senior engineer. They were generally pleasant and interesting to talk to. I ended up not performing great on them in particular the questions about certain technical topics I was not familiar with (certain object oriented concepts and design patterns). Not sure exactly what the exact consideration were but I was not made an offer.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to implement a function to take a collection of SET cards and identify a set if it exists or return a error status or something similar if it does not. This is according to the rules of teh game "SET" which you should look up for context.   View Answer

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yelp.

Received an email and phone call from HR, and then a link to an online coding challenge where you are asked about basic computer science concepts and coding questions. Additional phone screens will follow if you passed the coding challenge.

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yelp.

I met with recruiters at my college's career fair. These recruiters were some of the most professional yet chill people I've talked with, very fitting for a Silicon Valley based company. I got emailed for the next steps, got a phone call about the logistics for another set of next steps, and got to a coding/knowledge-based session. This ran for about I think 15-30 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Database questions, basic questions on HTTP, and a coding problem.   Answer Question

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yelp.

I spoke with a recruiter at an on campus career fair, and was scheduled for an on campus interview the next day. The interview went pretty well and passed onto the next round. Then I was contacted by a recruiter to schedule for a 45 minute skype interview, and bombed that.

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yelp.

Talked to them at the career fair. Mostly talked with the HR person about my achievements and "where I would see myself in 5 years" before talking to the software engineer there. He asked me about some of my resume points and a week later I got a phone interview. It was an hour long and went okay so now I'm just waiting for my response.

Interview Questions

It's really that I'm waiting for my response now.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Applied online, received an email from recruiter a month later. The interview was a skype interview, with a stypi coding question. The interviewer didnt seem to be very interested which reduced my motivation during the interview as well.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of threads with a start time and finish time, determine all the threads with overlapping times   Answer Question

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yelp.

1, HR called me for 15-minutes chatting about basic information of the resume.
    2, Then they sent me an Online test which lasts for 28 minutes.
        several basic multiple choice questions and a coding question.
    3, There will be a 45-minutes Skype interview then.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Talked to Yelp when they visited my college. Did a phone screening and quick online coding challenge. Then skype 1 on 1 interviewed with the web development team. Very cool people, asked me javascript performance questions. And other full stack web development questions. Didn't make it past first skype interview.

Interview Questions
    • Create a cache for data on a webpage to avoid calling the server whenever possible.   Answer Question