Yelp Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 31, 2015
Updated Mar 31, 2015

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

1. 15 minutes with HR, non technical, more about what you want to do in the company
2. 28 minutes technical test
3. 1h skype, technical questions mostly but not only
4. 4 interviews on site (45 minutes each)
Everybody was nice and helpful. I really enjoyed and learned a lot during the process.

Interview Questions

• You have an array with words. Print them by anagrams groups   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone call from the recruiter asking about experience, desired work culture, Followed by an Online Test (14 CS fundamental questions) and one Coding Test (Time felt pretty short while attempting the coding question), 45 min Technical Skype Interview and lastly Onsite interviews.

Interview Questions

• Given two sparse Vectors, compute the Dot Product.
      Input Format : The first line will contain two numbers(k and n), which are the number of entries for the two vectors respectively.
      The next k lines are the entries for the first vector, of the form : x y
      where x is the position and y is the value at that position in the vector.
      The n lines are the entries of the second vector.
      Any entries not specified indicate zero at that position.
      The two vectors will always be of the same length

Example input:
      3 3
      1 4
      4 2
      5 3
      1 7
      2 6
      5 1

Sample Answer: Dot Product = 4*7+3*1 = 31 (only print 31)

1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in March 2015.

Interview

Had a simple phone screen and the interviewer sent me to hackerrank for a quiz and a simple programming task. The task was easy but make sure you know how to parse stdin in your chosen language before you go in. It was really frustrating to stumble on that on such a simple task.

Interview Questions

• Given a company name and rank number, sort the companies by their number.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Met an on-campus recruiter during a college career fair. Got an email within a week. Was given a phone screen, a coding test and then a Skype screen. The first one was behavioral and the Skype screening was completely technical. The interview was average. Know your data structures and be prepared to talk about past projects !

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yelp.

Interview

The process goes like this:

-Submit resume
    -Initial phone screen - "Who are you and why do you want to work for Yelp?"
    -Online coding challenge
    -45 minute technical Skype interview
    -Two back-to-back Skype technical interviews, each 1 hour, with a manager and a senior software engineer
    -Then if you're lucky at this point you'll get an offer, but I wasn't as lucky.

Interview Questions

• Initial phone screen: CS trivia, all of which can be found here.   Answer Question
    • Online coding challenge: You have a dataset in a plain text file, and you basically have to data-structure-ize it, and sort it.   Answer Question
    • First Skype interview: You have a user-submitted review (basically just a paragraph of 5ish sentences). Design and write an algorithm to break up the review into sentences, and put it in a list/array data structure. (The goal of this question, I think, was to see how you can cleverly figure out how to deal with non-standard punctuation)   Answer Question
    • Final round Skype interview 1: Parsing, data-structure-izing, and drawing conclusions from a large dataset in a plain text file. (The interviewer told me that the problem he had me solve was a real problem the engineering team encountered a few weeks back)   Answer Question
    • Final round Skype interview 2: (1) He gave me a segment of Javascript code and asked me what it does. It was a trick question because it doesn't actually do what it seems to do. (2) You're told to make an image slideshow from a bunch of URLs in a MySQL database. Talk through how you would design the backend and frontend to do this. (3) Categorize a list of words into its anagrams (see other Glassdoor reviews for this question)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

- 20 min phone screening, asked about background, interest, past projects
    - 30 min web-based code exam
    - 45 min skype interview, in-depth questions on past experience, also asked to complete a code test
    - onsite interview

Interview Questions

• Any experience with database. Was asked to code on screen and talk through thought processes. What is the asymptotic complexity of the code. The interviewer is very friendly.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Interview process was very welcoming, prompt and interesting.
    1. A phone interview with a recruiter asking the question (that apparently) you can find here.
    2. A Skype interview, telling about yourself for 20-30 minutes + technical part for 20-30 minutes.
    3. An onsite interview, 4 session of ~55 minutes each (5 minutes brake between each interview).
    You are interviewing for a specific group, 3 team members in that group and a manager.

The process in overall was the best one I have had out of many interviews for all famous companies.
    Yelp seems like a great company with a promising future, and still you get having
    a lot of impact comparing to other big companies.

Interview Questions

• Very specific questions related to the team you are interviewing for.
      Trees, hashes, sets, searching algorithms, big data, and in general, thinking outside the box.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Started with an online application followed by a phone interview. Then Skype interview for an hour. The interviewer was super friendly. I got stuck couple of times but he patiently guide me through the technical questions dropping multiple hints every now and then. Ultimately no offer but overall great experience.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

Interview

Very straightforward process. Lasted for about two weeks. Applied at the University career fair and got talked to a recruiter for 15 min. Short coding assessment on hackerrank. After that scheduled for a phone technical interview. The interview question was not very hard but I could not answer the problem so did not get to next round.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Yelp took a long time to get back to me. I applied through a referral process and had my contact mention to his recruiter that I had an offer deadline coming up, this sped up the process. I wouldn't expect to hear back sooner than a few months after applying if you don't have a referral.

Initial phone interview - Simple 20 minute HR interview

Online coding screen - short easy coding question and 10 fast knowledge based questions. Definitely look at the other reviews on here to answer these. It's strange that they ask these questions because most of them are only testing familiarity with Unix.

Skype interview - met with a really nice guy and he asked me a difficult coding question. I couldn't come up with an optimal solution to his questions, but he was okay with me coding the naive version. I finished a working version of the naive version and made it to the onsite.

Onsite - 4 45 minute interviews back to back. Stressful, but not impossible and everyone I met with was great. They focus pretty heavily on knowledge based questions: about Java garbage collectors, stack vs heap questions, threading practices, some simple networking stuff, compression, encryption, Android specifics. All very high level just to test your breadth of knowledge. These I did very poorly on. There were also 4 algorithm based coding questions on a whiteboard which I answered with optimal, working solutions.

Apparently they put more weight on the knowledge based questions, as I did not receive an offer. Overall Yelp had a really organized, fast, and friendly interview experience. I was unprepared for the emphasis on knowledge based questions.

Interview Questions

• No one difficult question, just a lot of random questions from all fields of CS.   Answer Question