Yelp

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yelp in April 2014.

Interview Details – I got contacted via a resume drop after a forum on campus about Big Data that a Yelp Representative attended. I got contacted by a recruiter about 6 months after the event - which totally worked out for me. I was contacted Sunday night, and had my phone interview that Tuesday. It was 25 minutes, and the recruiter just asked me if I had experience in a variety of platforms (did I have experience with Android for instance), what languages I was most comfortable with, etc. Then she asked me rapid-fire random tech questions - spanning random Unix knowledge/SQL etc, as well as basic byte trivia and some quick algorithm trivia, as well as pretty specific internet protocol stuff. At the end of the interview, she told me I had done well, that I was going on to the next round, which would be a 45 minute coding interview over Skype. I haven't had that next interview yet- but here's hoping!

Interview Question – What is SSL and what is it used for?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Software Engineer New Grad

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp in March 2014.

Interview Details – Give resume on campus career fair. Got contacted by recruiter after a week. First round phone screen with about 15 quick questions, most of which can be found here. I'm waiting for the second skype interview now. Also some behavior questions about why yelp, and what you are interested in.

Interview Question – Not too difficult if you prepare the all questions here   Answer Question

Software Engineer - New Grad

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details – First was a phone screen with 10 tech questions found on the site already. Then a Skype interview talking about resume and projects. Then she asked to find target value from a 2d array in which each row and column are sorted.

Interview Question – Nothing   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Yelp in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online Nov. 2013. First phone interview after 2 weeks. Second phone interview Dec. 2013. Onsite interview at Yelp Jan. 2014. Received offer in Feb. 2014. The entire process took around 13 weeks.

Interview Question – Most questions can be found in previous reviews. Standard online coding and whiteboard coding questions. Basic interview questions such as: why Yelp? what team are you interested in? Several scenario questions such as: what might be the possible reasons of slow network connection? C/C++ questions: what is inline function? describe why compiler does not perform inline in some circumstances.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated and Yelp meet my requirements in 2 days, so I accepted the offer. The overall interview process is great, friendly and professional HR and interviewers. The Yelp headquarter is also a fun place to visit.

Software Engineer - New Grad

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp in January 2014.

Interview Details – I talked with a person at the career fair on our campus and handed over my resume.
A day later I got a call for setting up a 45 minute Skype interview which took place the next day. The interviewer started by talking about himself and his projects and then asked me about my previous projects and experiences. Then he shared an online notepad with me for a small programming exercise. Pretty much the same as already written in previous interview descriptions here on Glassdoor.

A week later I got an email stating that they won't proceed with me.

Interview Question – He asked me about a major problem I came across during my projects and how I solved it While this wasn't an unexpected question (due to Glassdoor), my anwer wasn't good I think.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in January 2014.

Interview Details – A brief phone screening interview, and then a video interview with technical questions via Skype, and then they fly you out to SF to interview with 4 engineers. All in all, it wasn't really that difficult, and they didn't seem to mind that much if you fumbled here and there with the technical questions. As I was applying for a web dev job, about half of the questions were data structures questions, and then half were web dev questions.

Interview Question – Implement a cache (had growing requirements, such as a limit on how many things could be stored in it, and should return the most recently placed record). The interviewer didn't seem to care that I was correct, but more how I approached it.   View Answer

New Grad Software Engineer Interview

New Grad Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in November 2013.

Interview Details – Talked to a recruiter who gave me a list of technical grab-bag trivia as mentioned in the other reviews on this site. You talk a bit about why you want to work for yelp and after answering the question she said she was comfortable with moving me on to the next phase of the interviewing process

Interview Question – Had the most trouble with the HTTP/UDP/SSL/TCP stuff as that was not my strong suit   View Answer

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in July 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted my CV online at the company's website and a few days later, a recruiter contacted me via email for a technical phone screening. I was asked various questions about my CV, previous project I worked on, why I want to join Yelp, and a rapid sequence of 10-15 techie questions (basic enough). Most of them can be found in the glassdoor website previously posted for Yelp.

Interview Question – Reconstruct a binary tree given two sequences of node traversals, one from inorder and one from postorder traversal.   View Answer

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in April 2012.

Interview Details – First round, a recruiter called me, asked some background questions, and also some tech questions. He said he would arranged a phone interview for me during our chat.
Second round is a tech phone screen. Since I told the recruiter I'm interested in front end jobs, so the tech guy is from front end team and asked some javascript, html, cookies and http questions.
After the first round, another recruiter contacted me again and said there would be one more phone screen. The third phone screen was also related to javascript and some other front end questions.

Interview Question – We have a fairly large log file, about 5GB. Each line of the log file contains an url which a user has visited on our site. We want to figure out what's the most popular 100 urls visited by our users.   View Answers (5)

Very Easy Interview

New Grad Software Engineer Interview

New Grad Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Yelp in March 2012.

Interview Details – At first I had a phone screen. She basically asked me all the same questions that the other candidates received. She was nice and conversational and told me all about Yelp and how awesome it is to work there.

After I passed the initial phone screen I had a Skype interview where I had to code into a shared screen. I chose PHP (perhaps I should have chosen python) to implement a min stack. I finished the code to the interviewer's specification and then asked the usual general questions.

The interview went well and I received an email the next day saying that they had heard great comments on my performance and asking me for another interview. I was very happy and since I had a final exam that day I put it to the side to respond to later. 4 hours later I was send an email saying to disregard the previous email and "thanking" me for my time and that they were unable to move me forward. Usual rejection bulls**t. I would have just shrugged it off as a legitimate one time error if it had not have happened to another candidate on here. Shame on you Yelp. Getting peoples hopes up and then shooting them down. Very unprofessional. I honestly would have been more upset if I didn't already have an offer from Google.

So yes Yelp, that's your loss. :P

Interview Question – What port used for internet protocol?   View Answer

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!