Yelp Software Engineer New Grad Interview Questions

Updated Apr 8, 2015

2.5

New Grad Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I dropped the resume at the Yelp University talk, and I waited around 3 weeks to get the interview, the interview was online judge and it took around 45mins, including basic programming knowledges like bit manipulation and data structures, and maybe some programming languages questions, and one last programming test which asked to write a specific function, related to the yelp app I think

Interview Questions

• They asked me to code a yelp function as several functions were required.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Software Engineer, New Grad Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Yelp's interview process was incredibly efficient compared with the other tech companies I have interviewed with. I gave my resume to one of Yelp's engineers at an on-campus career fair and was contacted later that evening to schedule an on-campus screen for a few days later. I struggled more than I should have with the question, but a week after the initial screen, they invited me out for an onsite interview at their office in SF.

The onsite interviews started in the afternoon and began with a tour of their offices followed by a series of 4 technical interviews. Their engineers were very friendly and I thought I did well on the coding/algorithms questions. However, they also asked a fair number knowledge-based questions and seemed to be looking for specific answers--I definitely struggled with these due to my inexperience. I came out of the interview feeling pretty good but I received a rejection e-mail two days later telling me that I was not quite a right fit for the position.

pros: fast process, interviewers were friendly, cool office in downtown SF

cons: as one other review said, Yelp places more emphasis on knowledge-based questions than other tech companies

Interview Questions

• Pretty standard behavioral and technical interview questions that can be found online: search, recursion and a bit of machine learning were the focus of mine.

All of my interviewers asked me "Why Yelp?" so definitely think about this before you go in. Come up with something better than just "I like food".

Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Had an initial 20 min HackerRank coding challenge which was fairly simple and straightforward. Then had 1 phone screen with an engineer. After the phone screen I was invited for an onsite interview. Their onsite process is very average. Company tour + 4 round of interview. They concentrate a lot on cultural fit. I thought I was applying for a more general software engineering position but they asked me a lot of questions about HTTP protocols. I wasn't informed that I would be specifically interviewing with their web team.

Interview Questions

• 1. Phone screen: Given a corpus of a review, split it in terms sentences (Make sure to take care of ellipses, question marks and exclamation marks).

Onsite 1: Javascript question, HTTP protocols : Their significance and difference.
      Onsite 2: Implement a Most Recently Used Cache.
      Onsite 3: Given an iterator interface for 1 word, extend to implement an iterator function for two words.
      Onsite 4: Implement a trie. (Write the API and code for inserting into a trie).

All of the rounds were interspersed with cultural fit questions.

Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in August 2014.

Interview

Firstly a HackerRank challenge, it was pretty easy and finished it in 10 minutes, then I was scheduled for a Skype interview for online programming on CoderPad. The Skype interview was also not hard and solution was straight forward. Received notice from HR for onsite interview after several days. There were 4 rounds of engineer interviews during onsite, most of them were coding and fundamental questions. However getting them done nicely and fast doesn't mean they will give an offer for you, unless you could use python, ultimately the only programming language they could understand.

Interview Questions

• Skype interview
      Anagrams, given an array of Strings and return all groups of strings that are anagrams.

1 Answer
    • Onsite Questions:
      How does Java GC work, how to implement a GC.
      Using random numbers to determine value of PI(3.1518926..), and how to let it work in multi-computer environment.
      "tom" has "salad soup sandwich", "rose" has "drink soup". Input "salad sandwich" return "tom rose".
      Given a software package depend list, like a->b, b->c, b->d, c->e, d->e, return installation sequence e,c,d,b,a.
      Design database tables of Yelp.
      What happens after sending an HTTP get request to yelp.com.
      Questions about software engineering and previous projects.
      Why yelp.

1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

I got contacted via a resume drop after a forum on campus about Big Data that a Yelp Representative attended. I got contacted by a recruiter about 6 months after the event - which totally worked out for me. I was contacted Sunday night, and had my phone interview that Tuesday. It was 25 minutes, and the recruiter just asked me if I had experience in a variety of platforms (did I have experience with Android for instance), what languages I was most comfortable with, etc. Then she asked me rapid-fire random tech questions - spanning random Unix knowledge/SQL etc, as well as basic byte trivia and some quick algorithm trivia, as well as pretty specific internet protocol stuff. At the end of the interview, she told me I had done well, that I was going on to the next round, which would be a 45 minute coding interview over Skype. I haven't had that next interview yet- but here's hoping!

Interview Questions

• What is SSL and what is it used for?   1 Answer

Software Engineer - New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp.

Interview

First was a phone screen with 10 tech questions found on the site already. Then a Skype interview talking about resume and projects. Then she asked to find target value from a 2d array in which each row and column are sorted.

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp in March 2014.

Interview

Give resume on campus career fair. Got contacted by recruiter after a week. First round phone screen with about 15 quick questions, most of which can be found here. I'm waiting for the second skype interview now. Also some behavior questions about why yelp, and what you are interested in.

Interview Questions

• Not too difficult if you prepare the all questions here   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

A brief phone screening interview, and then a video interview with technical questions via Skype, and then they fly you out to SF to interview with 4 engineers. All in all, it wasn't really that difficult, and they didn't seem to mind that much if you fumbled here and there with the technical questions. As I was applying for a web dev job, about half of the questions were data structures questions, and then half were web dev questions.

Interview Questions

• Implement a cache (had growing requirements, such as a limit on how many things could be stored in it, and should return the most recently placed record). The interviewer didn't seem to care that I was correct, but more how I approached it.   1 Answer

Software Engineer - New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp in January 2014.

Interview

I talked with a person at the career fair on our campus and handed over my resume.
    A day later I got a call for setting up a 45 minute Skype interview which took place the next day. The interviewer started by talking about himself and his projects and then asked me about my previous projects and experiences. Then he shared an online notepad with me for a small programming exercise. Pretty much the same as already written in previous interview descriptions here on Glassdoor.

A week later I got an email stating that they won't proceed with me.

Interview Questions

• He asked me about a major problem I came across during my projects and how I solved it While this wasn't an unexpected question (due to Glassdoor), my anwer wasn't good I think.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Applied online Nov. 2013. First phone interview after 2 weeks. Second phone interview Dec. 2013. Onsite interview at Yelp Jan. 2014. Received offer in Feb. 2014. The entire process took around 13 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Most questions can be found in previous reviews. Standard online coding and whiteboard coding questions. Basic interview questions such as: why Yelp? what team are you interested in? Several scenario questions such as: what might be the possible reasons of slow network connection? C/C++ questions: what is inline function? describe why compiler does not perform inline in some circumstances.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I negotiated and Yelp meet my requirements in 2 days, so I accepted the offer. The overall interview process is great, friendly and professional HR and interviewers. The Yelp headquarter is also a fun place to visit.