Yelp Software Engineering Intern Interview Questions

Updated Jun 13, 2014
Updated Jun 13, 2014

64 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Contacted by a recruiter for a web development position, Asked some very basic CS questions on screening. Next round was taken by a software engineer on skype. Firstly, a brief discussion on resume which was followed by technical questions (most web related) based on the answers that was given. Then coding problem on an online editor.

Interview Questions
  • Basic Javascript Questions and concepts, one coding problem. Level easy. Was not prepared well for the interview.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

I contacted a recruiter and sent my resume to her. I was then contacted with an initial phone screening. Screening had a few behavioural questions (Why yelp, 3 things looking for in an internship etc) and a series of easy technical questions, all of which can be found on glassdoor. I was told immediately at the end of the call that I passed and then moved on to a skype interview. Interviewer was a little unprepared because my original interviewer got pulled for a meeting last minute. She picked some knowledge based questions to ask me based on my resume (sql questions, pros and cons of Java, C, C++). Coding question was a little tricky but if you know your data structures its not hard. They are just looking for the most efficient way to solve the problem. I didnt code the most efficient way but then when asked if I could make it better I thought of a better way and told her. I passed that round and then moved on to two back-to-back skype interviews. First one was tough as it was with a manager. He grilled me on my past experience and asked two technical questions along with a coding question. Second interview went really well with an engineer working under that manager. Asked me a mix of behavioural and technical questions along with a coding question. Im pretty sure I wowed the engineer but not the manager. I got both of the coding questions right. I didnt move on from there though but overall great experience and extremely friendly interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • Write a text wrapper function which takes a width in pixels and a String and returns a String with new lines inserted. (You are also given a function which takes a string and gives you a pixel width).   Answer Question
    • Write a function which reverses a linked list.   Answer Question
    • # List of tickets, in the form (origin, destination)
      ORIGINAL_TICKETS = [
        ('CDG', 'DXB'),
        ('DXB', 'HKG'),
        ('HKG', 'HAM'),
      ]
      Write a function which given the original origin, find the final destination. Then write a function that would find both the original origin and final destination with only access to that ticket list. Finally write a function that finds a missing ticket given the original origin and final destination.
        View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

*First interview with HR about motivation, general resume questions, objectives, and some quick technical questions about general computer science (they can be found here on glassdoor).
    *Second interview with an engineer, questions about projects on the resume, the most challenging aspect of the projects, motivation question again (why Yelp?), UNIX questions about commands and options and a trivial technical programming question. At the end there are some minutes to ask questions to the interviewer (in each interview)

Software Engineer Intern Interview

The first round is trivial. It's all like a quiz such as the linux command and what's inner join and outer join question. And some behavior like what yelp?

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Applied through their website. Received an email asking for a quick chat. Arranged within the week. Some chit-chat and then some rapid-fire technical questions. By the end of the conversation i was informed that i passed the round and we should arranged a skype interview with an engineer. Received an email a few days later that the intern positions were full.

Interview Questions
    • - port and protocol of HTTP
      - what ssl stands for and used for
      - how many bits to represent an octad digit
      - max int with unsigned 32bit
      - what structure for binary search: linked list or sorted array?
      - insertion time in a linked list
        Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Got the phone screen pretty quickly and was called by a recruiter for a pretty short conversation. The recruiter was really flexible about my schedule and a nice guy. Started the conversation with a few questions about what I would be interested in doing at the company, what my favorite languages to code in are. Then he asked some rapid-fire knowledge-based questions. They're on here for the most part--can't remember any that arent. He let me know at the end of the screen that I qualified for the interview with an engineer which we set up on the spot

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Applied through campus recruiting. Got a call back a few weeks later for a phone interview

Interview Questions
    • Given a log file with format:
      " 1,2,start
      2,3,end
      2,4, start """"
      where each tuple is a (job_id,time,option) where option is start or end, find a way to map concurrent processes to each other
        View Answer

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I met with a representative at a career fair, where I handed them my resume. I later had an 20 minute initial screening interview, where they asked rapid-fire technical questions with one/two-word answers. After passing that, I had a Skype interview with an engineer, but did not proceed to the final round of interviews after that.

Interview Questions
    • Some of the rapid-fire technical questions seemed obscure, but research on Glassdoor about past questions asked helped a lot!   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Phone Interview (HR screening) around 20 min. Very straightforward and questions can be found on glassdoor.

45-min Skype interview with a software engineer. Asked about past projects. One coding exercise (writing a function to find a hidden guess integer given a helper function). Asked a product design question.

45-min Skype interview with another software engineer. Asked about past projects. One coding exercise (find k-lowest elements). I did not make it past this round.

In all interviews, the interviewer was very kind and responsive. The phone screener was not a technical recruiter and could not necessarily answer any questions in detail. The software engineers were very helpful and I could see that they enjoyed talking to me. Great experience and even though I was rejected I had a positive feeling about the whole process and will definitely try again in the future.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function to find a hidden guess integer given a helper function that will check if guess is too low, too high, or correct.   Answer Question
    • Find the k-lowest elements of an unsorted array.   View Answer

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Applied during on campus recruiting. Had to appear for 2 interviews. The first was a phone screen during which basic questions about cs were asked. Questions were mainly related to System Administration, and basic algorithms. Then was asked to appear for a skype interview, which was more comprehensive, and the resume was discussed in detail. Was also asked to code online.

Interview Questions
    • Given a tree find out whether is a BST or not.   View Answer