Yelp

Updated Nov 22, 2014

2.9

140 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yelp.

I met with recruiters at my college's career fair. These recruiters were some of the most professional yet chill people I've talked with, very fitting for a Silicon Valley based company. I got emailed for the next steps, got a phone call about the logistics for another set of next steps, and got to a coding/knowledge-based session. This ran for about I think 15-30 minutes.

Interview Questions
  • Database questions, basic questions on HTTP, and a coding problem.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yelp.

I spoke with a recruiter at an on campus career fair, and was scheduled for an on campus interview the next day. The interview went pretty well and passed onto the next round. Then I was contacted by a recruiter to schedule for a 45 minute skype interview, and bombed that.

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yelp.

Talked to them at the career fair. Mostly talked with the HR person about my achievements and "where I would see myself in 5 years" before talking to the software engineer there. He asked me about some of my resume points and a week later I got a phone interview. It was an hour long and went okay so now I'm just waiting for my response.

Interview Questions

It's really that I'm waiting for my response now.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Applied online, received an email from recruiter a month later. The interview was a skype interview, with a stypi coding question. The interviewer didnt seem to be very interested which reduced my motivation during the interview as well.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of threads with a start time and finish time, determine all the threads with overlapping times   Answer Question

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yelp.

1, HR called me for 15-minutes chatting about basic information of the resume.
    2, Then they sent me an Online test which lasts for 28 minutes.
        several basic multiple choice questions and a coding question.
    3, There will be a 45-minutes Skype interview then.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Talked to Yelp when they visited my college. Did a phone screening and quick online coding challenge. Then skype 1 on 1 interviewed with the web development team. Very cool people, asked me javascript performance questions. And other full stack web development questions. Didn't make it past first skype interview.

Interview Questions
    • Create a cache for data on a webpage to avoid calling the server whenever possible.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Was a basic interview for a data mining team. The initial telephonic interview was about my skill set and about the projects I have done. This was followed by a 45 min technical Skype interview, which included coding questions.

Interview Questions
    • How would you make a Spam detector for Yelp given all the data. Another binary search tree coding question.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Applied online. Contacted by HR for phone screen. Asked basic computer science questions. Technical phone interview. Talked with HR about projects on resume. Asked several design questions and one algorithm question. Rejected in one week.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in October 2014.

Met the recruiter at a career expo by my University. A few weeks later we scheduled a phone interview. The phone interview was supposed to be 15 minutes, but it only lasted about 5. The recruiter speaking over the phone was very nice, but the noise from their environment made it a bit difficult to listen to. Also it felt as if they were rushing to finish the phone call and just spat a bunch of info at me. It was pretty much an overview of the intern program at Yelp and making sure that you're sane enough. After the phone interview, they sent a coding challenge by hackerrank.
    The challenge from hackerrank was 28 minutes, 15 questions.

14 questions were quick technical questions that can be found here on glassdoor, and the last question was a coding question in which you have to submit a code.
    28 minutes was kind of odd and I think the 2 more minutes would have allowed me to fix my output. But because I didn't get to, I messed up and didn't get to proceed with the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Given a string, print true or false if you can create a palindrome with it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yelp.

I applied through their website and was contacted by one of their recruiters. The standard questions (found in other reviews but also a couple specific to my field) were quickly asked, it sounded like he had more questions but since I answered them easily he organised the next phone interview.

I had 2-3 phone interviews, they were all about medium difficulty, nothing super hard but did require a bit of thinking.

I then did an on-site, a nice small tour of the office and then 4x45min interview sessions. They all started off asking me about my experience, a bunch of questions specific to my area and then into the white board exercises. The whiteboard exercises were about medium to hard difficulty, some relatively straight forward, others did require more thought. I had been going through a lot of online questions (elitecoder, etc.) and also had done a couple of other interviews which asked very similar questions, so that helped a lot.

Everyone was super nice and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • I was talking about how Yelp wasn't that big in another country, I got asked 'Why do you think it isn't big and what would you do to improve adoption?'. Threw me for a bit in a software engineering interview.   Answer Question
    Negotiation went very well. I was offered more than I asked for.