Yodle Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014

2.7

Data Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Yodle in September 2013.

Numerous questions about managing even though the position is entry level staff and is not considered a "management" role. The role is tied to sales directly and has direct management duties towards sales and sales management. To say the lease you will be running the sales teams with data driven decision making while the sales managers baby sit the sales people and relay your findings making them the stars of the show with your work.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing in specific, the interviewer is inexperienced in management themselves therefor the questions asked do not pertain to the position offered.   Answer Question
    Negotiations, zero they will not negotiate salary.

Customer Success Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Yodle in June 2014.

Although I was disappointed that the position I applied for was filled, I was surprised to be offered a non position specific interview.

The general questions helped identify future opportunities as well. Excellent follow-up and overall interest in the candidate.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Yodle in June 2014.

I was contacted by an in-house recruiter, and the process moved very quickly from start to finish in just ten days. Everything was very professional. There was an initial phone interview with the hiring manager, and then he scheduled an onsite interview through the in-house recruiter. I was scheduled to meet with six people: three quantitative engineers, the hiring manager, and two marketing types. First, I met with two of the engineers, then the hiring manager, and then another engineer. I did not interview with the two marketers because they were in a meeting later, which I interpreted as a bad sign.

The first interviewer threw me the HORSE question, and I thought to myself, Oh God, here we go lol. But I was surprised to get a couple of the formulas right, but right there I knew this interview was going to be a challenge. The next interviewer asked me about SQL, queries, and then a question for estimating pi. I chose importance sampling but couldn't remember the formula for the graph of a circle: x^2 + y^2 = r^2. The interviewer told me that the formula was x^2 + y^2 = 1, but that was wrong, so the program did not end up working. He said "this is tedious", and at that point I could feel myself going down in flames. By the way, if you want to estimate pi, just sample x and y over the uniform distribution, and then count the number of hits within the circle relative to an enclosing square. That number will approach pi / 4. So, after doing your sampling for N, just multiply by 4 and you will get an estimate for pi.

The next interviewer was the hiring manager, and he asked about my experiences in development, solving problems, and working with teams. His questions were very insightful, and he was a good listener. He pushed for clarification, and that is a sign of a good manager. I really enjoyed speaking with him, as he has worked his way up through Yodle for many years. Good dude.

My final interviewer was another quantitative engineer who was very personable and friendly and quite brilliant. His question was suppose that you had images that were 1000 x 1000 pixels in dimension and that there were millions of these images. If you selected one image, how would you find the 15-20 images that were most similar to the original? Clearly, simple distance calculations would not work, so your job was to figure out an efficient algorithm to find the nearest images relatively quickly, all in 20 minutes lol. In any case, I really enjoyed the interviews but realize that some of the challenges have become ridiculous. Everyone is looking for the perfect candidate, when in fact very few people can meet these challenges, including the interviewers themselves.

The day after the interview, I got a telephone call from the recruiter saying that she spoke to the hiring manager and the feedback was that I was "not technical enough", but they wanted me to keep them posted of my progress. Why? I hung up and thought, man this is a strange world we live in.

Interview Questions
    • You are playing a game of HORSE with a replica of yourself, so your shooting percentage is probability p (for the both of you). The rules are that if you make a basket and your replica misses, then you win the game. If your replica makes the basket and you miss, then you lose. If you both miss, then you start over again. What is the expected probability that you will win the game?   Answer Question

Search Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yodle in July 2009.

Three rounds of interviews. Started with members of the team and then with the VP of Search Marketing. These guys really put you through the grinder. I've interviewed with the likes of Google and Yahoo and these guys are worse. Worthless brainteasers thrown at you, problem solving questions that barely relate to the job. Lot's of questions and thoughts on Google algorithm, CTR, etc..

Interview Questions
    • there's a duck and chicken on one side of the river and a goat on the other, you have a boat that only holds two people. get them across but can't leave the goat and the chicken, or something to that extent. so dumb.   View Answer

I really didn't like the vibe of the people I interviewed with and the company in general.

Quantitative Develooer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yodle in January 2010.

there is first a phone interview with an recruiter and then a phone interview with the team manager. During the onsite, I met four people from the group, each has different tests from algorism to code test.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Yodle in August 2011.

Applied online and did not hear from anyone for days. Went to the website and used their contact form to ask the status. Received a call shortly after. Asked me basic things about why I wanted the job, previous work history, and why I was qualified. They setup an interview for me to talk with the Sales Manager in NYC and "possibly" with another person.

Met with the manager and was immediately taken back by how weird he seemed. Kind of robotic and a bit on the cold side. Not sure if that was intentional. I prepared a bunch of questions and he answered them all as if he was feeding me sales lines he had said a million times to his clients. Weird. Interview ended (didn't meet with anyone else) and I was told I would hear from the woman who called me initially.

A week later, didn't hear from anyone. I emailed the woman.

Nothing.

I called and she wasn't available. I left a message.

Called again a few days later and she told me they decided not to go with me. Confused as to why they couldn't just email me this news.

Later on I get a call from Yodle again from a new person. He leaves me a message saying to call him back.

I do. It turns out he found my resume and wants to set me up to meet the manager in NYC... wow. Thanks.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through your last client interaction. How did you close him?   Answer Question

Database Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took a weekinterviewed at Yodle in June 2012.

I had a pre-screening call. Followed by which I had a technical phone interview. The last round was supposed to be 1:1 interview. But unfortunately I couldn't get through the technical interview.

Sales Representative Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Yodle in April 2011.

Phone interview then a 3 hour one on one interview

Didn't negotiate

Senior Sales Executivce Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yodle.

It was a 5 step interview process. 1st interview was with the HR Department, 2nd interviews were with the Sales Managers and the final interview was with the Area Sales Director. After I approved through all these steps I had an on the phone closing presentation where they verbally gave me a product and I had to overcome their objections and close them on the spot.

There wasn't a huge long negotiation phase. They are very cut and dry. It is what it is take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online – interviewed at Yodle in September 2014.

First step of the process completed by telephone. Questions were standard, such as how did you hear about us, what do you know about the company, tell me about your previous sales experience, etc. There were also questions regarding computer skills. The interviewer was well informed and very professional.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Was told if they were interested, I would hear back by phone or e-mail.   Answer Question