Yodle Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.7

Customer Success Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Yodle in June 2014.

Although I was disappointed that the position I applied for was filled, I was surprised to be offered a non position specific interview.

The general questions helped identify future opportunities as well. Excellent follow-up and overall interest in the candidate.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yodle in January 2014.

I was contacted by one of their internal recruiters. First there was a very long talk from the recruiter trying to pitch the company and then a mini technical screening with the recruiter himself, then a 45 minute interview with an engineering manager, and finally a few rounds of interviews on site.

Despite what the recruiter said, his technical background was not strong and it showed in the questions he asked. The regular phone interview with the manager was much more standard, covering my background and some average technical questions done through a shared coding site.

The on site was three rounds of technical interviews and one interview with a product owner. Yodle claims to want engineers to work close with product owners and to drive new ideas, hence the final interview. The technical interviews were straight forward, somewhat easy. I liked the people quite a bit, though. Product owner didn't really come across as interested or prepared for the interview.

In the end, the office space didn't impress me and the recruiter was very pushy. Once they decided to make an offer, I heard from him once or twice a day trying to get me to say yes. They were prepared to make a very good offer, though.

Interview Questions

The company didn't excite me and the recruiter was way to pushy for my liking.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Yodle in June 2014.

I was contacted by an in-house recruiter, and the process moved very quickly from start to finish in just ten days. Everything was very professional. There was an initial phone interview with the hiring manager, and then he scheduled an onsite interview through the in-house recruiter. I was scheduled to meet with six people: three quantitative engineers, the hiring manager, and two marketing types. First, I met with two of the engineers, then the hiring manager, and then another engineer. I did not interview with the two marketers because they were in a meeting later, which I interpreted as a bad sign.

The first interviewer threw me the HORSE question, and I thought to myself, Oh God, here we go lol. But I was surprised to get a couple of the formulas right, but right there I knew this interview was going to be a challenge. The next interviewer asked me about SQL, queries, and then a question for estimating pi. I chose importance sampling but couldn't remember the formula for the graph of a circle: x^2 + y^2 = r^2. The interviewer told me that the formula was x^2 + y^2 = 1, but that was wrong, so the program did not end up working. He said "this is tedious", and at that point I could feel myself going down in flames. By the way, if you want to estimate pi, just sample x and y over the uniform distribution, and then count the number of hits within the circle relative to an enclosing square. That number will approach pi / 4. So, after doing your sampling for N, just multiply by 4 and you will get an estimate for pi.

The next interviewer was the hiring manager, and he asked about my experiences in development, solving problems, and working with teams. His questions were very insightful, and he was a good listener. He pushed for clarification, and that is a sign of a good manager. I really enjoyed speaking with him, as he has worked his way up through Yodle for many years. Good dude.

My final interviewer was another quantitative engineer who was very personable and friendly and quite brilliant. His question was suppose that you had images that were 1000 x 1000 pixels in dimension and that there were millions of these images. If you selected one image, how would you find the 15-20 images that were most similar to the original? Clearly, simple distance calculations would not work, so your job was to figure out an efficient algorithm to find the nearest images relatively quickly, all in 20 minutes lol. In any case, I really enjoyed the interviews but realize that some of the challenges have become ridiculous. Everyone is looking for the perfect candidate, when in fact very few people can meet these challenges, including the interviewers themselves.

The day after the interview, I got a telephone call from the recruiter saying that she spoke to the hiring manager and the feedback was that I was "not technical enough", but they wanted me to keep them posted of my progress. Why? I hung up and thought, man this is a strange world we live in.

Interview Questions
    • You are playing a game of HORSE with a replica of yourself, so your shooting percentage is probability p (for the both of you). The rules are that if you make a basket and your replica misses, then you win the game. If your replica makes the basket and you miss, then you lose. If you both miss, then you start over again. What is the expected probability that you will win the game?   Answer Question

Marketing Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yodle in September 2012.

I interviewed with 4 separate managers and they all appeared very concerned that I understand the role and had the requisite skill sets to be successful within the role. I was impressed that each manager actually wanted to get to know me a little bit and each represented a different marketing channel within the organization. That way each could weigh in on where my skills and experience may be best utilized.

Interview Questions
    • One of the team leads asked me a word problem to see how I would react. He didn't really care if I got the answer right, he just wanted to see if I could handle a situation in which I wasn't prepared before hand.   View Answer
    I was unable to negotiate but I would encourage others to do so. Their starting salaries for the associate and consultant positions are pretty low, I would say there is at least $5k worth of wiggle room provided you have the experience or education to back up the reason for your request.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yodle.

The guy was a touch on the unprofessional side. Google the company and you will see they are a shady business.

Temporary Marketing Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yodle.

I submitted my resume online and was contacted by a recruiter by e-mail about a month later. I thought it was strange that it had taken so long but I was still in the job market, so I went with it. We set up a phone interview for the following day. She was about 15 minutes late calling me but the conversation went well. She thought that I would be a good fit and asked me if I was still interested. The pay was lower than I had anticipated and it was a temporary position so I hesitated and told her I would take the night to think about it some more. Before we got off the phone, she set up a call for the following morning at 9:00 a.m. I e-mailed her before the call time to tell her that I was in fact interested and she responded with, "Great. I'll call you later today with the next steps." She never called and this was a Friday so I e-mailed her over the weekend and never heard back ever again.

Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Yodle in November 2013.

Phone interview, fairly simple and straight to the point. shadow interview and then one final interview with the director of recruiting.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you could perform the job to our standards?   Answer Question
    N/A

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Yodle in March 2014.

Completed the Juggle fest program in C++. I received an email a few days later for a phone interview. The phone interview was easy. I was then given a 2 hour coding challenge to do in java. It was sent to me late but I still finished early. Never got any response back and it's been 2 weeks.

Data Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Yodle in September 2013.

Numerous questions about managing even though the position is entry level staff and is not considered a "management" role. The role is tied to sales directly and has direct management duties towards sales and sales management. To say the lease you will be running the sales teams with data driven decision making while the sales managers baby sit the sales people and relay your findings making them the stars of the show with your work.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing in specific, the interviewer is inexperienced in management themselves therefor the questions asked do not pertain to the position offered.   Answer Question
    Negotiations, zero they will not negotiate salary.

Sales Representatuve Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Yodle.

Quick over the phone interview and then one in person interview with hiring manager. Very easy and want to make sure you will follow their exact instructions