Yodle

77 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Yodle.

Interview Details – Solved the harder problem from their website, got a call in a couple of days
First was a minor tech screening with their HR recruiter who was courteous and knowledgeable. Discussed about experience and some easy datastructure questions.
Second was a phone interview with one of their engineering manager. Asked about some project experience picked from my resume. Further on a question to design a small system with OOP. Requirements were clarified beforehand. Interview was nice and simple but I think the time frame was not big enough for me to design the system. Interviewer was very patient and we had a good interaction.

Interview Question – Design an "order management" system.   Answer Question

Sales Development Representative Interview

Sales Development Representative

I applied online and interviewed at Yodle.

Interview Details – Submit app online. They will call you and it seems like it's just to set up an interview time but it somewhat turns into a mini phone interview. Nothing too crazy just catches you off guard. Then they will set up a time for you to go to the location, you'll get a mini tour and then get to observe for about half an hour. Then you have your interview, typical questions, but they do want you to prove that you did research about the company and specifically about SEM and SEO. Ask lots of questions!

Interview Question – nothing too extreme. Just be ready for a possible unplanned phone interview   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yodle.

Interview Details – Solved the harder problem on their website, and got an email back within a few days. First interview was not difficult. Asked about basic data structures and object oriented design. Second phone interview focused more on detailed object oriented design questions, and some "how would you approach this problem" type questions, and data structure questions. Received email saying they weren't interested a few days later.

Interview Question – Talk about weak/strong types systems.   Answer Question

Director - Online Acquisition Interview

Director - Online Acquisition
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Yodle in March 2013.

Interview Details – Contacted Recruiter as I was already connected with her on Linkedin. First round of the interview was from her. She was nice, but asked very specific questions around Predictive Modeling, team management , why I am looking for a change and what I am currently making (that was the problem). I work for a much bigger company and Yodle pay muss less.
   After the first step, she passed my resume to a VP, who wanted to talk with me for 1 hr. It was a good conversation, asked me about my work, online space, team management skills and very pointed questions about how I solve problems. Why I am looking to move to NY (they are located in NY).
   Next round of the interview was with another director - Biz Dev. He was nice too and he asked me questions about how I did cross-functional projects and how I managed teams. It was a good conversation and I would rate it fair.
   A week later, VP with whom I spoke initially wanted to talk with me again. It was another 1 hr conversation around the space, much more details into the projects I did. It was a very good conversation, around the work that I would be doing and how I would be solving problems at Yodle. They are in local and so she asked me about how I would solve the problems in that space. Since I work in digital space and in the forefront, I explained her about many areas, which she didn't know.
  After that interview, they called me for in-person interview. I had almost 6 - 7 folks interviewing me - including CEO and CMO and 3 VPs. The questions were all over the place - some are very behavioral to very technical questions. I was shocked to hear very technical granular questions from a CEO, including my current salary. I would not expect a CEO asking these silly questions, though its a start up.
   The part which I didn't like was - there was no lunch break - I had literally < 15 mins - the recruiter comes and says - "there is a sandwich shop downstairs, you can grab something there" and "By the way, you have 10 - 15 mins". I said - "Thank you", but was annoyed because I already had a very long day (I took 6:00am flight).
    As the day progressed, the interviewers were the folks from my team. In one interview, a guy comes and asks me a probability question - a complete maths question. I was clearly annoyed by this time - I would expect an analyst to answer a question, but not a senior level person to solve a math question. Of course, I solved the question, but was disappointed with the interviewer and his outlook.
   My last interview was with same VP (I spoke 3 times with that person until now) - my hiring manager, but clearly told her that I am not impressed that the previous interviewer asked me a mathematical question and that I am not interviewing for an analyst role. She apologized, but said that everyone liked me and so I should be good.
  After I return back, I hear back from the recruiter and that they are very interested in me and that I have to speak with another VP over the phone. This was a very weird interview, because he was the first guy in my career who blew his horn so much (I felt sorry that he had to do it for what he does), but had a good interview.
  At last after 2 weeks, I hear that they are moving with another candidate. In the hind sight, after my experience in the interview process, I would not have accepted the offer - partially because of the lack of big picture of CEO. When I asked him about the growth of the company and how he sees the space, he was very less impressive with his answers, but had a very vague answer. Another thing that caught my eye - was how many folks work there and the $$ revenues of the company. $/Head ratio is very less. So, I am concerned about the post-IPO valuation also. The revenues are not growing at the speed I would expect for a start up.

Interview Question – Behavioral questions from CEO and the complete surprising probability question from this optimization team lead.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yodle in June 2010.

Interview Details – Quick phone interview to gauge general experience followed by an in person interview. This is an entry-level sales role, so they expect you to be comfortable on the phone and handling objections. Expect a "role-play" where the sales manager asks you to pitch a product. The key here is to ask a lot of questions of the "buyer" to determine need.

Interview Question – All behavioral questions were fairly straight forward but be ready to pitch during your interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Ask for more than their initial offer, but expect it to be commission heavy.

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative
Austin, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yodle in January 2013.

Interview Details – First went to an open information session where they told us all the details about the company and what the role entailed. That same day, we set up follow-up phone interview. A couple of days later, they called me up and asked very basic interview questions. Eg. What are your strengths/weaknesses? What has been a challenging event in your life and how did you overcome it? Etc.
On that same call, set up a time/date for the one-on-one interview. Went in a couple of days later and interviewed with head of recruiting. Really easy-going interview process. Nothing really difficult about it. As long as you're into sales, challenges and staying motivated in a goal-oriented role; you'll do just fine. Have a very positive attitude, it goes such a long way. Also got to sit in on a sales call for 30min as part of the interview to see what the role was really like in practice. You get to see the atmosphere on the floor, the energy in the teams and all the action. That's the fun part.
The whole interview lasted around one hour and after, you're told they will let you know in one to two days. I was told the next day that I was being offered the position. Easy, breezy and painless.

Interview Question – What inspires you and what motivates you?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – Really no room for negotiating. You either take it or leave it. Very low base (20K), but high commission plan.

Client Services Interview

Client Services
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yodle.

Interview Details – Phone screening with recruiter (30 mins), phone interview with hiring manager (1 hour), invited into office to meet all the managers for 30 minute interview with each (2 hours).

Negotiation Details – The recruiter had originally given me a range, then she dropped it 5K under that range. Told her that would be a deal breaker and they brought it back up,

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Yodle.

Interview Details – Was found on LinkedIn by inhouse recruiter. Handful of interactions led to a 1 hour screening call. The inhouse recruiter was excellent and came from recruiting, but the internal processes with the executives scheduling the live interview was difficult. I finally interviewed with two members of the executive team. The third executive blew off my interview while I was at the site, which was very unprofessional.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult, but they are very big on behavioral interviewing and specific examples, which is good..   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Inside Sales Interview

Inside Sales
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Yodle in February 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through a job search engine, quickly received a call from a recruiter, went through a sample call and scheduled me to come in for an interview. Recruiter did mention that it was low base - high commission, but they start at $20k, just to let everyone know.

Interview Question – Fairly standard questions about inside sales, call volumes, rejection handling, etc. They also sit you down with a current employee to listen to calls, so you can see how scripted they really are.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had other offers on the table that were closer to what I wanted to do.

Marketing Associate Interview

Marketing Associate
Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yodle.

Interview Details – I was referred by an employee, got a call from the recruiter the next day to set up a phone interview that following week. Had the phone interview then set up an inperson interview that same week. I had 2 1:1 in person interviews and one phone interview. I was given a tour of the office and then 2 days later I received a phone call saying they wanted to followup with a 3rd and final phone interview that same week. It was about an overall 2 week process

Interview Question – Give me an example of a time where you had to deal with going against a client's wishes and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Considering I am switching career paths, I had little room for negotiation because it is a entry level position