York University

Updated Feb 20, 2015

2.6

Social and Print Media Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at York University.

After receiving an email requesting an interview, I went to one in-person interview with two interviewers (one HR and the manager of the division). They followed a Union-approved list of questions after which I took a one-hour test.

Interview Questions
    • Experience related questions, and situational questions (i.e. If you had a large project and a short deadline, how would you handle it?)   View Answer
    None

Annual Fund Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at York University.

Applied online and received a scheduled phone interview in which the hiring manager tested me on a script we were provided with earlier. The script resembled exactly what we would ask during a call on a day to day basis.

After that phone interview, I was told that I would hear back from them soon if I was selected. I received an email one week later stating that I had been accepted as an annual fund representative and was asked to bring in my legal documents (SIN, Payroll info etc..)

Interview Questions
    No negotiation because the manager was rather rude during the process.

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

There was no interview process. The position came as part of graduate funding I received as a new graduate student. I believe that is the only way you get hired as a Teaching Assistant.

Interview Questions
    • No questions, since no interview. I was just asked whether I will be comfortable teaching Math courses to undergraduate students   Answer Question

Telephone Interviewer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at York University.

Had to call a number, leave a message answering a few questions that had been outlined in the answering machine message. I received a call a few days later to come in for an interview. I was asked simple interview questions like how would you handle a difficult call. I had a lot of experience doing over the phone jobs so the questions were very easy to answer. After I answered the questions I was asked to go into the lab and read out a paragraph and few questions while the interviewer listened in. We then went back to the office and she gave me an offer of employment. I was given the training days/times and my start date.

Interview Questions
    • Just questions regarding difficult phone situations, how to calm people down over the phone.   View Answer
    I was not able to start on the start date due to a prior commitment so they allowed me to start two weeks later.

Consultant Interview

Phone Interview to confirm what is on Resume, ask a few more questions, determine salary requirements.
    Rest of Interview is scenario based and includes question on Diversity.
    Panel interview.
    Set questions.
    Points based.
    There are some great people at York, and if you are enthusiastic about being part of a challenging role then this is the place for you.

Interview Questions
    • Salary Requirements. Hard to answer without knowing caseload or team make-up.   Answer Question
    They were not willing to negotiate.

SOS Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at York University.

After applying by a week I got a response asking me for an interview. Once there, they grouped me with other applicants, gave us a list of other possible applicants and asked us to number them as they watched and saw us perform and convince one another.
    Then there was a station where we had to give a small presentation, a station giving us possible scenarios, a station to talk about yourself and a station to see how committed/devoted to the job.

Interview Questions
    • How would you change the academic orientation, what you liked/did not like   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

telephone interview

Student Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at York University in September 2013.

very easy, relaxes, it was very very quick and did not really get asked a lot of question. questions were fairly genral easy alomost like they had made up their minds already to hire me. so it was smooth.

Compute Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at York University.

there were 3 interviewers. They were nice and professional. One HR, one my future supervisor, one professor. Questions were all about the job and my experience.

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

interviewed at York University in January 2013.

I was very pleased with the interview process at York. The committee were friendly and welcoming to visitors. I ended up getting an offer the same day! Great place so far.

reasonable and fair