York University

Relevance Date Difficulty

Graduate Student Interview

Graduate Student
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed at York University in June 2012.

Interview Details – You have to write a good letter explaining why you would want to pursue graduate studies and in what fields and describing your interest in the field.
You have to have at least 75 % average just to be considered since it is really competitive to get in and depending on your major.
You will get a TA work there as a graduate student as well.

Interview Question – Technical questions about your studies might be asked.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Student Position Interview

Student Position
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at York University in September 2013.

Interview Details – very easy, relaxes, it was very very quick and did not really get asked a lot of question. questions were fairly genral easy alomost like they had made up their minds already to hire me. so it was smooth.

Work/Study - Marketing & Web Support Assistant Interview

Work/Study - Marketing & Web Support Assistant
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at York University in October 2012.

Interview Details – Got an invitation for an interview through email; had one interview with my future boss - discussed my resume and the job requirements in detail. There were probably a couple of people considered for this position; however, I had prior marketing experience plus I was a marketing student which worked to my advantage (since it was a work/study position). Overall, pretty easy interview.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions   Answer Question

Graduate Student Interview

Graduate Student
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed at York University in April 2011.

Interview Details – Initial contact with prof via email, than vigorous interview with regards to theory of LOPAP

Interview Question – How does a turbo molecular pump work?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Set contract for 4 months non negotiable.

Very Easy Interview

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at York University in September 2009.

Interview Details – The hiring process involved submitting a resume and being interviewed by numerous stakeholders. The hiring manager usually had the final say. Essentially you were hired on contract if the hiring manager liked you as a person over any accomplishments. they need to start focusing on competencies for hires and past performance.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – it was either take it or leave it.

Assistant Professor Interview

Assistant Professor
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed at York University in January 2013.

Interview Details – I was very pleased with the interview process at York. The committee were friendly and welcoming to visitors. I ended up getting an offer the same day! Great place so far.

Interview Question – where do you see yourself in 5 years   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – reasonable and fair

Compute Lab Technician Interview

Compute Lab Technician
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and interviewed at York University.

Interview Details – there were 3 interviewers. They were nice and professional. One HR, one my future supervisor, one professor. Questions were all about the job and my experience.

Interview Question – no very difficult question.   Answer Question

Registrar's Office Interview

Registrar's Office
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at York University in August 2009.

Interview Details – Slow interview process, be patient. Some 1:1 interviews, others to a group of people. Job description was very large and spread across two different departments, seemed a bit overwhelming. I also had to go take two tests: 1. computer skills test, including Windows, Microsoft Office, 2. grammar and writing test. Seemed a bit unnecessary given my background, experience (8 years in tech industry) and level of education (Master's Degree). The tests struck me as funny since some emails I received from the Hiring Manager had spelling mistakes in them.

Interview Question – Salary - you can't really discuss this since it is non-negotiable (set by the union).   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at York University in March 2008.

Interview Details – I first submitted a resume and a cover letter to apply for a posting I saw outside the bulletin board for the office. Soon after, I received a call back for a summer position. During the interview, the manager and an advisor was there. Very relaxed environment but I still came to the interview with a dress shirt. I received great feedback during my answers as they laughed and smiled throughout. The questions involved: reasoning for choosing the position, flexibility with schedule, organizational skills, interpersonal skills that related to office work. If you come into the interview with some confidence you will feel great after as the questions they ask aren't technical or overly difficult.

Interview Question – Describe the steps you would take to teach a skill to a student who has trouble understanding instructions.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None as it was a relatively basic position

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 6 months - interviewed at York University.

Interview Details – Via personal connections. I do not know what the regular process is, but I assume you need to submit your CV and your published work and have a conversation with the person hiring you

Worked for York University? Contribute to the Community!