York University Interview Questions in Toronto, ON

2.6

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

interviewed at York University in June 2012.

You have to write a good letter explaining why you would want to pursue graduate studies and in what fields and describing your interest in the field.
    You have to have at least 75 % average just to be considered since it is really competitive to get in and depending on your major.
    You will get a TA work there as a graduate student as well.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions about your studies might be asked.   Answer Question

Student Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at York University in September 2013.

very easy, relaxes, it was very very quick and did not really get asked a lot of question. questions were fairly genral easy alomost like they had made up their minds already to hire me. so it was smooth.

Work/Study - Marketing & Web Support Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at York University in October 2012.

Got an invitation for an interview through email; had one interview with my future boss - discussed my resume and the job requirements in detail. There were probably a couple of people considered for this position; however, I had prior marketing experience plus I was a marketing student which worked to my advantage (since it was a work/study position). Overall, pretty easy interview.

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

interviewed at York University in April 2011.

Initial contact with prof via email, than vigorous interview with regards to theory of LOPAP

Interview Questions
    Set contract for 4 months non negotiable.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at York University in September 2009.

The hiring process involved submitting a resume and being interviewed by numerous stakeholders. The hiring manager usually had the final say. Essentially you were hired on contract if the hiring manager liked you as a person over any accomplishments. they need to start focusing on competencies for hires and past performance.

Interview Questions
    it was either take it or leave it.

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

interviewed at York University in January 2013.

I was very pleased with the interview process at York. The committee were friendly and welcoming to visitors. I ended up getting an offer the same day! Great place so far.

reasonable and fair

Compute Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online - interviewed at York University.

there were 3 interviewers. They were nice and professional. One HR, one my future supervisor, one professor. Questions were all about the job and my experience.

Registrar's Office Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at York University in August 2009.

Slow interview process, be patient. Some 1:1 interviews, others to a group of people. Job description was very large and spread across two different departments, seemed a bit overwhelming. I also had to go take two tests: 1. computer skills test, including Windows, Microsoft Office, 2. grammar and writing test. Seemed a bit unnecessary given my background, experience (8 years in tech industry) and level of education (Master's Degree). The tests struck me as funny since some emails I received from the Hiring Manager had spelling mistakes in them.

Interview Questions
    • Salary - you can't really discuss this since it is non-negotiable (set by the union).   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at York University in March 2008.

I first submitted a resume and a cover letter to apply for a posting I saw outside the bulletin board for the office. Soon after, I received a call back for a summer position. During the interview, the manager and an advisor was there. Very relaxed environment but I still came to the interview with a dress shirt. I received great feedback during my answers as they laughed and smiled throughout. The questions involved: reasoning for choosing the position, flexibility with schedule, organizational skills, interpersonal skills that related to office work. If you come into the interview with some confidence you will feel great after as the questions they ask aren't technical or overly difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the steps you would take to teach a skill to a student who has trouble understanding instructions.   View Answer
    None as it was a relatively basic position

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 6 months - interviewed at York University.

Via personal connections. I do not know what the regular process is, but I assume you need to submit your CV and your published work and have a conversation with the person hiring you

Worked for York University? Contribute to the Community!