Qualcomm
3.8 of 5 1,526 reviews
www.qualcomm.com San Diego, CA 5000+ Employees

Qualcomm QCT Modem Test Engineer Interview Question

I interviewed in San Diego, CA and was asked:
"You have 2 buckets in a room and one bucket has 17 Red balls, 19 Green Balls, 21 Blue Balls, 23 Yellow Balls. You are blindfolded and you need to pick one ball at a time and put in the bucket#2. You should stop at a point where you are confident that the color of the ball you are putting in already exists in the bucket#2. When would you stop?"
Add Tags [?]
Answer Flag Question

Part of a QCT Modem Test Engineer Interview Review - one of 974 Qualcomm Interview Reviews

Answers & Comments

of 7
votes
Worst case - you stop at the 5th chance because after 4 different colored balls the 5th ball color has to repeat.
Best case - you stop at the 2nd chance because you get the same color ball after 1st.
- Interview Candidate on Apr 13, 2012 Flag Response
votes
But it asks when will you be confident about that. So I guess it is after the 5th ?
- Jason on May 27, 2012 Flag Response
of 2
votes
But what if all of the first 4 you pick are of the same color? Then the 5th may not be already in bucket 2.
Going by that logic, I feel you'll have to pick (23+21+19+1) = 64 balls in the worst case, where the first 23 you pick are all yellow, the next 21 are blue, next 19 are green and the last one is red. What do you guys think?
- Gautam on Jun 24, 2012 Flag Response
votes
Gautam, your answer would have been correct if the question would have been - "You should stop at a point where you are confident that 'all four' color balls you are putting in already exists in the bucket#2
- Sam on Aug 16, 2012 Flag Response
I think 24 balls...The highest ones + 1
- Radhika on Sep 20, 2012 Flag Response
I think 3 is the answer.
- HanaAsha on Dec 19, 2012 Flag Response
64, by worst case
- wenhao on Feb 28, 2013 Flag Response

To comment on this question, Sign In with Facebook or Sign Up

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Qualcomm interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Qualcomm employees and interview candidates.