Epic Systems Corporation

www.epic.com

Epic Systems Corporation Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview Question

I interviewed in Verona, WI and was asked:
"You have a bouquet of flowers. All but two are roses, all but two are daisies, and all but two are tulips. How many flowers do you have?"
Add Tags [?]
Answer

Part of a Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview Review - one of 1,570 Epic Systems Corporation Interview Reviews

Answers & Comments

This post has been removed. Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.
of 12
votes
Two flowers, neither of which are roses, daisies or tulips. Maybe geraniums.

If the problem requires that all flowers are R, D or T, then one of each will work. Three.
- Daktari3 on Apr 4, 2011
3- one of each
- sheetal on Jan 7, 2012
of 19
votes
6. 2 of each kind listed.
- rayz on Jan 10, 2012
of 11
votes
Don't forget the trivial solution (none).
- VEV on Jan 10, 2012
of 18
votes
We know there's two of each considering that the three types are not overlapping but we don't really know the total. The answer is "At least 6".
- William on Jan 10, 2012
of 6
votes
Do you really have a bouquet if you have just 2 or 3 flowers? Otherwise, you have either 2 or 3 flowers
- Yianni on Jan 10, 2012
of 26
The solution is quite simple, if you start with the “All but 2” first:
Roses = All but 2 = Two flowers are not a rose; one tulip, one daisy
Daisies = All but 2 = Two flowers are not a daisy; one rose, one tulip
Tulips = All but 2 = Two flowers are not a tulip; one rose, one daisy
Answer: One rose, one daisy, one tulip.
- Flower Child on Jan 10, 2012
of 18
votes
The question is contradictory - the question says ALL of your flowers are Roses except two, and goes on to say ALL of your flowers are Daises except two. All of your flowers cannot be both Roses and Daises and Tulips.
- Isaac on Jan 10, 2012
- Anonymous on Jan 10, 2012
of 4
votes
3... Impossible is never a good answer...
- jason on Jan 10, 2012
of 9
votes
The real question is what did the man do to his wife to have to bring her flowers to begin with?
- Angela on Jan 10, 2012
votes
Three. You have one of each kind.
- toadaly on Jan 10, 2012
of 8
votes
Isaac and Rayz, you both failed logic

If I have 3 things, say a tire iron, a hammer and a hedgehog, I can accurately say that all but two are tire irons

If I had six (let's say two of each of the above) and said all but two are tire irons, this fails. I have six objects, two of which are tire irons - the math shows that four items are not tire irons

The answer only works at 3
- BigSoph on Jan 10, 2012
of 10
unknown. Could be 3, could be 6, 9, 12, any multiple of 3
- Anonymous on Jan 10, 2012
of 5
votes
I would say, "Do you consider three flowers to be a bouquet?"
- Greg on Jan 10, 2012
Me: I have a Bouquet of flowers
- Paul on Jan 10, 2012
of 9
votes
Nice riddle, but the way it is written there is no solution. If you have a rose, a daisy, and a tulip then all but two is a rose (not roses), all but two is a daisy (not daisies), and all but two is a tulip (not tulips). But if it was written this way the answer is obvious.
- Luke on Jan 10, 2012
of 8
votes
The entire bouquet is flowers. So the answer is they are all flowers. This is one of the oldest riddles in the book. The questioner distracts the answerer by providing frivolous information - the number of roses, tulips and so on. Most answerers will try to give a literal answer to what they perceive as a literal "how many" question. When in fact, the questioner is asking how many of whatever number of stems in the bouquet are flowers and all of them are.
- Brian on Jan 11, 2012
votes
I would go with luke.....
- Ashish on Jan 11, 2012
votes
3, but I hate wording that is designed to mislead. I think that reflects poorly on the company.
- Lisa on Jan 11, 2012
two buttercups :)
- alfasin on Jan 11, 2012
of 7
votes
Considering that n is the total number of flowers we have:

n - 2 = t (the number of tulips)
n - 2 = d (the number of daisies)
n - 2 = r ( the number of roses)

The question is: are there only roses, daisies and tulips in the bouquet ?

If yes we also have a fourth equation:

r + d + t = n

In this case we add the three equations above and we get

3n -6 = n (because n = r + d + t)

2n = 6

n = 3

If there are more than daisies, tulips and roses in the bouquet we have a system of three equations with four unknowns so the solution space is infinite.
- rumberobueno on Jan 15, 2012
of 1
All!
- Neethu on Jan 20, 2012
@rumberobueno
your math is great here, but it is NOT possible to have the 4th kind of flowers because
it says:

a) all but 2 are roses - in this case we can have at most 3 kind of flowers
the same for the other cases, in conclusion we have only 3 kind of flowers and from your math we can say we have 1 of each kind.
- Ion on Jan 25, 2012
votes
There is a definate mathematical approach to this question as was stated earlier but you can not add excess flowers. Look at it simplified:
If R=roses, T=tulips, D=daisies and X = # in bouquet; where R, T, D, and X are whole numbers greater than 0 and assuming that there are said flowers in the bouquet.
then R+2=X, T+2=X, D+2=X
therefore
T=1 and D=1
R+T+D=X
X=3,

If there are none of said flowers in bouquet then total number is 2.

There is no other answer available with the question worded this way.
- live4logan on Feb 29, 2012
votes
Enough to make me sneeze.
- ANONYMOUS on Mar 26, 2012
of 1
It's not clever to say "All of them." It's asinine. I get that there's math, but if you just take the actual question, "How many flowers do you have?" and you respond with "All of them" it shows a distinct inability to answer a question logically. Do you really have ALL of the flowers? Or are you simply confused as to the definition of the word "all"?
- anon on Nov 9, 2012
votes
It's like the old riddle my witty uncle used to aske me every time we passed a graveyard. " How many dead people are in there?" Answer: "All of them" I agree with Brian. This is a distraction for the one questioned. When we are a little anxious we tend to over think things. Just my opinion
- CED on Nov 26, 2012
votes
I agree that the correct answer is all of them are flowers. So many firms using questions like this have little to no clue as to why they are asking these and do little to elicit the kind of information about the candidate's fit with the job that an interview process should be gaining. If the job requires highly analytical skills than get some proven tests rather than interviewers putting interviewees off guard with silly questions that are not relevant to the job at hand.

If you want to work for Brain Teasers, that would be a good question to pose along with many others.

Why people don't want candidates to be at ease in a job interview astounds me as that is when you will get the best information out of them astounds me.
- Greg Basham on Aug 25, 2013