Bloomberg L.P.
3.2 of 5 1,031 reviews
www.bloomberg.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Engineer Interview Question

I interviewed in New York, NY and was asked:
"You're given a set of strings. You want to test if any two strings in the set are anagrams."
Tags: data structures, algorithm
Add Tags [?]
Answer Flag Question

Part of a Financial Software Engineer Interview Review - one of 1,609 Bloomberg L.P. Interview Reviews

Answers & Comments

of 0
votes
I gave a solution that involved sorting the strings and using that as elements of a new set to check for anagrams. They asked me to reduce the memory footprint of my solution without sacrificing the O(N) time (N = number of strings, we assumed that string lengths were O(1)). I suggested that if the strings represent words in a natural language, we might be able to apply the same Huffman encoding to everything in the set, which maybe could reduce space by, say, 50%. They seemed satisfied with that solution.
- Interview Candidate on Nov 3, 2011 Flag Response
of 0
votes
You could also check to see if the words have the same number of characters and same characters using a hash map. Only anagrams can satisfy that.
- Rio on Nov 14, 2011 Flag Response

To comment on this question, Sign In with Facebook or Sign Up

Bloomberg L.P. – Why Work for Us?

Bloomberg’s global mission is to help individuals, enterprises and governments make smarter, faster, more profitable decisions — first. In order to get there, we need constant ideas, energy, innovation— which is where… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bloomberg L.P. interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Bloomberg L.P. employees and interview candidates.