Amazon.com
3.4 of 5 2,800 reviews
www.amazon.com Seattle, WA 5000+ Employees

Amazon.com Product Manager Interview Question (student candidate)

I interviewed in Seattle, WA and was asked:
"You're in charge of new business venture x. What do you evaluate in vetting the business potential? Now what is your estimate of the volume we could move (with numbers)?"
Tags: business case, mba
Add Tags [?]
Answer Flag Question

Part of a Product Manager Interview Review - one of 4,140 Amazon.com Interview Reviews

Answers & Comments

of 1
The first part is a fairly simple new venture analysis with all the concerns that come with it. I didn't know what to make of the last part and I kind of think the interviewer was just trying to make me uncomfortable and see how I would react.
- Interview Candidate on Apr 4, 2011 Flag Response
of 2
votes
That is a pretty typical question. It may be intimidating, but market potential sizing is a problem you would need to be able to solve as a product manager. Usually, the interviewer is looking for you to validate/justify assumptions you made and walk through the logic of how you arrive at your estimations -- to see how you would think, when an answer is not readily available, or the situation is ambiguous, with multiple possibilities, dimensions, or directions... such as for a new or emerging service or product, where reference or data points may be limited.
- Anonymous on Oct 20, 2011 Flag Response

To comment on this question, Sign In with Facebook or Sign Up

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees and interview candidates.