YouTube Interview Questions

Updated Jun 5, 2015

3.4

SWE Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at YouTube (San Bruno, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter for Google, asked to set a technical phone screen. The screening was pretty difficult: Two technical questions, with solutions being coded in a shared Google Doc. No behavioral questions. He told me I was interviewing for a job at YouTube, but he was not a YouTube employee. Google wants all potential employees to be equally assessed so you are interviewed by anyone in the company. Was asked to do an onsite two weeks later.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at YouTube (Mountain View, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Several weeks ago, I applied software engineer new grad position of YouTube. Two weeks ago, I got the recruiter's phone call. There were seven separate interviews total. The two three were over the phone (phone interviews) and the remaining five were on-site. The first interview was with the recruiter and was not very technical but the other seven were very technical. Both two phone interviews are with a member of their engineering team. Both is about 45 mins, the first round has 2 coding questions and some simple questions, the second round is more technical.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at YouTube (Mountain View, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

2 Phone screens + Onsite Interview consisting of 4 45-minute technical interviews and 1 non-technical interview over lunch. Questions from Career Cup and "Cracking the Coding Interview" are good ways to brush up. Know Java or C++ well. Definitely practice coding by hand rather than with a computer. Talk through your answers and design an algorithm before you start coding. If you can usually code good/optimal solutions to two unfamiliar questions on Career Cup by hand in under 45 minutes, you're in good shape. Ultimately I made it to the hiring committee, but they opted not to hire me because my technical answers weren't quite good enough. YouTube/Google is, at the end of the day, looking for engineers with really, really strong coding chops and the ability to decompose technical questions into more familiar CS problems (quickly). I could have studied more, and it cost me.

Interview Questions

• Questions about algorithms to which I was expected to code a response on a whiteboard. Big-O runtime estimation of my answers. Test cases for my answers. When I was able to answer a question, there would usually be a follow up consisting of a more complicated version of the original problem or a special case.   Answer Question

Software Engineer University Grad Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at YouTube (San Bruno, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

First I got a Phone Call the they scheduled a phone screen. it was 45 mins long and asked me various java based questions. He want on asking data types and then shifted towards time complexity and then sorting algorithms.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at YouTube in January 2015.

Interview

Recruiter emailed the day after I applied to set up a phone interview and get more background information. The interviewer called on the designated day and asked questions--he was friendly but his accent was hard to understand over the phone. At the end of the interview someone needed to use the office my interviewer was using so my interview ended without the opportunity to ask any questions.

Interview Questions

• Given a binary tree, with the key of each node equal to the sum of its children plus itself, return a given node.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at YouTube (Mountain View, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

After meeting a recruiter on campus, I submitted my resume online for the Software Engineering - New Grad position. I was contacted by a recruiter the following day, but because of the holidays, we scheduled the phone screen for a few weeks later. The phone screen (45 mins) consisted of one warmup question (5 mins), followed by one main question asking me to implement the core methods of a simple game. The question had one or two tricks that could be easily picked up on by studying and doing practice problems. A day or so later I was contacted by the recruiter to schedule on onsite interview. A few weeks later I was flown in to the Mountain View HQ. I had four technical interviews (45 mins), and one non-technical interview (culture fit) over lunch. The questions were not too difficult, but definitely required some thought. Before writing any code, I always discussed the high level approach with the interviewer and explained my thought process. When coding, I broke every question down into pieces, which allowed me to focus on the meat of the problem with worrying too much about the surrounding details. After I finished the main problem, I went back and finished the helper methods as needed. I can safely say that studying and doing practice problems is a MUST. I went through and answered every question in the tree, data structures, and recursion sections of "Cracking the Coding Interview" book, even if a given question took me an hour. After completing these sections, I felt extremely comfortable with recursion (a previous weak spot), which was a huge help during the interviews. The most important thing during these interviews is to have what I would describe as "coding fluidity"; talking with others in my interview group, it seems that many were able to formulate the high level ideas correctly, but could not actually represent their ideas in code in an efficient manner. Overall, I had a great experience. The recruiter got back to me a week later with the good news, and I accepted the offer a few days after that.

Interview Questions

• binary tree traversal, counting with recursion, distrubuted system design   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at YouTube in November 2014.

Interview

Got a phone interview about a month after application. The question asked is not that hard, and the recruiter was willing to give any hint. I did the first problem wrong, but he still gave me onsite. There are 4 rounds for the onsite interview, one hour for each, and it seems like they expect you to answer as much problems as possible.

Interview Questions

• A question about filling in a area some text, choose the adequate font size.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at YouTube (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Spoke with recruiter briefly and was really excited about this. Took a few weeks to work out a time that worked for the technical phone screen- I suppose they keep their interviewers busy. When the day finally arrived, the interviewer called 30 minutes late and seemed like he was busy with something else. He didn't ask me anything about me or my background, gave single word answers when I asked clarifying questions, and after 30 minutes of talking to myself it was over. Overall the worst interview experience I've ever had.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that takes an array and splits it into N sub arrays   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at YouTube in October 2014.

Interview

I was contacted about a month later after career fair, and was scheduled for a phone interview. The recruiter was quite professional. I was asked about general data structure questions like what is a hashmap, the time complexity of operations of hashmap and bst, when you prefer bst to hashmap, what is java gc. Then I wrote a small program to remove duplicate strings in a file on google doc. Then I received a call from recruiter next day telling me to prepare for an onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• generally not hard. you have to be clear with basic data structures   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at YouTube in September 2014.

Interview

At Google Site, apply online, HR, redirect me to YouTube, one phone interview, 2hours later, HR call, tell me I can go to onsite, several weeks later, onsite interview, 2 rounds + (one to one)lunch + 2 rounds.