YouTube Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

3.5

Content Creator Interview

It was a great place and I still create content for it. I liked the way they treated you and the process was probably the easiest thing I've ever done. I just jumped on the online Internet and I made an account on the website and I was a content creator. The management was easy because I was my own manager. What a surprise. It was a great process and I suggest everyone do it sometime. You can even rate videos.

Front-end Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at YouTube in June 2014.

The recruiter emailed me to schedule a technical interview for 45 min. She shared one google drive document with me which I used during an interview for writing a code also they provide you few sites to do code problem practice. On interview day, one of the member of engineering team member called me and without wasting time she started asking questions to me. Following are few of the questions she asked me (everything was as expected):

Interview Questions
    • -If a web page is taking time to load then how you will debug the problem?
      -Following problems she gave me to write a code for it. First she asked me the algorithm, then she asked me the time complexity.:
      Given a lists of strings, group them by last two letters.
      i.e. input :
      cat, top, bat, hop, rot, sat, food

op:
      cat, bat, sat
      top, hop
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online – interviewed at YouTube in June 2014.

The first round was a telephonic interview. A engineer from Google took the interview and we spoke for about 35 minutes. The question was related to word guessing. I was asked to write a simple implementation or pseudocode. I was also asked about my ideas on how to solve the situation in the best possible way. Big-O notation are also important.

Interview Questions
    • The implementation part was difficult. However, with practice we should be able to get through this round fairly easily.   Answer Question

Partner Operations Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at YouTube.

I was contacted for this position through a recruiter who thought I'd be a good fit. I was set up with a general phone interview that took about 15 minutes. Afterwards, I was invited to do a series of individual onsite interviews with team members/managers. I spoke with 5 people over a period of two hours. I received an offer soon thereafter. The entire process took less than a week.

Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at YouTube in March 2014.

Apply it on google, receive the response from recruiter after a weekend and has a 45-minutes Technical interview after three weeks. This was my first interview. I was too nervous and interviewer had an accent, so I waste a lot of time to understand the question itself. The question is to design a class to realize three functions.

Interview Questions
    • It is hard to understand the question in a short time when the interviewer has an accent for your first few interviews.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at YouTube in March 2014.

a recruiter contact me online and we made a phone interview a couple weeks later. when i passed the phone interview, the next step is on-site, it took about 2 weeks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at YouTube in February 2014.

I was contacted by recruiter at first.
    I had a phone screen which was fairly easy.
    Recruiter then said I passed the screen and set up onsite interview.
    She spoke to me briefly and told me what to prepare.
    The onsite interviews went well but I thought I was slow in answering questions.

I was rejected despite getting answer right on 3/4 rounds because I was slow at coding. I didn't have coding fluidity also and I needed prompting. I was asked to apply in 1 year's time which they thought was required for me to get enough experience in coding.

Excellent experience overall

Interview Questions
    • Phone Screen:
      1. Implement a function to penalize a student for over 3 continuous days of late arrival or over 2 days of absent in total.
      2. Implement a stack. Include a method to find maximum element in the stack in O(1)

Onsite:
      1. Auto-complete functionality with code.
      2. Mirror reflecting an image with code.
      3. Wiggle sort: i.e. rearrange an array such that A0 > A1 < A2 > A3 < A4 > .......... < AN in one pass.
      4. Architectural implications of summing elements of an array in GORY detail.
        Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at YouTube.

I had a phone interview with them. They asked me a bunch of different questions about C++, C#, Java, and SQL. The Interview lady was talking in a monotone voice and seemed uninterested. And as I answered the questions wrong, I was only getting more and more nervous. That was the end.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at YouTube in December 2013.

The onsite interview includes 4 rounds: including general coding, architect, complexity analysis and a discussion on your current project. A lunch will be included during the interview, but the host won't contribute to your feedback.
    My interview were performed during a busy season, thus I need to drive from Pier 39 to San Bruno, and it was hard to park near the Youtube office

Interview Questions
    • Finding the local minimal with sublinear time.   View Answer

Software Programmer Interview

I got two interviews, all through phone. Write code on Google docs.

Interview Questions
    • The first interview asks about the change combination problem. First it was able to be solved by greedy alg but then the condition changed and turn into a DP problem. The second interview asks to substitute *s in a string by binary numbers. For example, input aa*bbb*c, the output should be four strings: aa0bbb0c, aa0bbb1c, aa1bbb0c, aa1bbb1c   Answer Question