YouTube Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

3.5

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at YouTube in March 2014.

a recruiter contact me online and we made a phone interview a couple weeks later. when i passed the phone interview, the next step is on-site, it took about 2 weeks.

Content Creator Interview

It was a great place and I still create content for it. I liked the way they treated you and the process was probably the easiest thing I've ever done. I just jumped on the online Internet and I made an account on the website and I was a content creator. The management was easy because I was my own manager. What a surprise. It was a great process and I suggest everyone do it sometime. You can even rate videos.

Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at YouTube in March 2014.

Apply it on google, receive the response from recruiter after a weekend and has a 45-minutes Technical interview after three weeks. This was my first interview. I was too nervous and interviewer had an accent, so I waste a lot of time to understand the question itself. The question is to design a class to realize three functions.

Interview Questions
    • It is hard to understand the question in a short time when the interviewer has an accent for your first few interviews.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online - interviewed at YouTube in June 2014.

The first round was a telephonic interview. A engineer from Google took the interview and we spoke for about 35 minutes. The question was related to word guessing. I was asked to write a simple implementation or pseudocode. I was also asked about my ideas on how to solve the situation in the best possible way. Big-O notation are also important.

Interview Questions
    • The implementation part was difficult. However, with practice we should be able to get through this round fairly easily.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at YouTube in February 2014.

I was contacted by recruiter at first.
    I had a phone screen which was fairly easy.
    Recruiter then said I passed the screen and set up onsite interview.
    She spoke to me briefly and told me what to prepare.
    The onsite interviews went well but I thought I was slow in answering questions.

I was rejected despite getting answer right on 3/4 rounds because I was slow at coding. I didn't have coding fluidity also and I needed prompting. I was asked to apply in 1 year's time which they thought was required for me to get enough experience in coding.

Excellent experience overall

Interview Questions
    • Phone Screen:
      1. Implement a function to penalize a student for over 3 continuous days of late arrival or over 2 days of absent in total.
      2. Implement a stack. Include a method to find maximum element in the stack in O(1)

Onsite:
      1. Auto-complete functionality with code.
      2. Mirror reflecting an image with code.
      3. Wiggle sort: i.e. rearrange an array such that A0 > A1 < A2 > A3 < A4 > .......... < AN in one pass.
      4. Architectural implications of summing elements of an array in GORY detail.
        Answer Question

Front-end Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at YouTube in June 2014.

The recruiter emailed me to schedule a technical interview for 45 min. She shared one google drive document with me which I used during an interview for writing a code also they provide you few sites to do code problem practice. On interview day, one of the member of engineering team member called me and without wasting time she started asking questions to me. Following are few of the questions she asked me (everything was as expected):

Interview Questions
    • -If a web page is taking time to load then how you will debug the problem?
      -Following problems she gave me to write a code for it. First she asked me the algorithm, then she asked me the time complexity.:
      Given a lists of strings, group them by last two letters.
      i.e. input :
      cat, top, bat, hop, rot, sat, food

op:
      cat, bat, sat
      top, hop
        Answer Question

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at YouTube in April 2013.

After submitting my resume via Google's career site I heard back from an internal technical recruiter within two weeks. They asked if I could have a phone interview with one of their project managers. I talked with him briefly about the team they were hiring for, and what the responsibilities were. After discussing that it was something I was interested in he asked me to open a shared Google Doc and do some very generic code tests (build a class, add a property, add a method that modifies that property, etc). While it was difficult to write code in a word processor, it wasn't the worst thing I'd been asked to do in an interview.

After that call I received an email from the original recruiter stating that the PM was impressed, and that they would like to have me come in to their office in San Bruno for a more thorough interview process.

I showed up to the office (which is awesome, BTW), was greeted by the recruiter and sat in one of their many meeting rooms. I was told it was a long and vigorous process beforehand. The first three interviewers were fellow software engineers, people that I'm assuming would be peers if I were to be hired. They asked simple questions like the difference between prototypal and classical inheritance, how to query DOM elements without using libraries like jQuery, and the like. Then they started asking me how I would go about solving problems, mostly to do with performance. The first question I remember was, "We have a lot of videos. Say somebody does a search query, and it returns something like 100,000 videos. How would you go about building an infinite scroll UI of a grid where the grid items were a set size, but the browser is inevitably an undefined dimension?" And then, "Write some test code on the whiteboard." I would write some code, they'd take a picture, erase, repeat. It was very difficult to attempt to build something this way, I would have preferred a Google Doc. Another question was, "Because we serve XX billions of images and videos, we're always looking for ways to cut back on the amount of requests we are processing and keeping bandwidth at the very minimum without affecting experience. How would you do that in the case of the search grid?" I responded with lazy loading the images. "Write some test code on the whiteboard."

There was a lunch break in which another guy gave me a tour of the office and then took me to their cafeteria, which was top notch.

The fourth interviewer was a UI designer. His questions were more geared toward the designer/developer relationship, and ideas behind how they should work together. He then gave me a sheet of paper with what seemed to be a graph and some copy around it. He asked me how I would build it. Then he asked how I would build it to be responsive. His final question was, "You have a building with 1000 floors. How do you implement an efficient elevator system?" I started by designing a panel for the inside of the elevator, then by structuring the rooms in which the elevators were accessed, then by segmenting them into groups that only went up/down.

The last interviewer was a backend engineer (Python, I believe). This guy had some real CS chops. I don't remember the first question he asked me, but the second made me feel like I knew nothing. It was, roughly, "Theoretically, you have a computer that has infinite memory. You have a starting point that is a 0 (zero), and a series of zeros after that. Eventually there will be a 1 (one). You need to write a program to find the index of the first one in relation to the first zero. Go." So I started by saying, "Well, I'm assuming the wrong answer is to linearly go through each character and checking to see if it's a one." He confirmed. I don't remember how I answered, but he asked me to write code for my answer, and we were there for a good 45 minutes on that single question.

Finally, the project manager and recruiter came in, talked about the team some more, asked if I had any questions, and that was that.

Interview Questions
    • Theoretically, you have a computer that has infinite memory. You have a starting point that is a 0 (zero), and a series of zeros after that. Eventually there will be a 1 (one). You need to write a program to find the index of the first one in relation to the first zero. Go.   Answer Question

Partner Operations Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at YouTube.

I was contacted for this position through a recruiter who thought I'd be a good fit. I was set up with a general phone interview that took about 15 minutes. Afterwards, I was invited to do a series of individual onsite interviews with team members/managers. I spoke with 5 people over a period of two hours. I received an offer soon thereafter. The entire process took less than a week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at YouTube in December 2013.

The onsite interview includes 4 rounds: including general coding, architect, complexity analysis and a discussion on your current project. A lunch will be included during the interview, but the host won't contribute to your feedback.
    My interview were performed during a busy season, thus I need to drive from Pier 39 to San Bruno, and it was hard to park near the Youtube office

Interview Questions
    • Finding the local minimal with sublinear time.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at YouTube.

I had a phone interview with them. They asked me a bunch of different questions about C++, C#, Java, and SQL. The Interview lady was talking in a monotone voice and seemed uninterested. And as I answered the questions wrong, I was only getting more and more nervous. That was the end.

Interview Questions

Worked for YouTube? Contribute to the Community!