YouTube

3.4

Software Engineer University Grad Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at YouTube in February 2015.

First I got a Phone Call the they scheduled a phone screen.
    it was 45 mins long and asked me various java based questions.
    He want on asking data types and then shifted towards time complexity and then sorting algorithms.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at YouTube in February 2015.

Several weeks ago, I applied software engineer new grad position of YouTube. Two weeks ago, I got the recruiter's phone call. There were seven separate interviews total. The two three were over the phone (phone interviews) and the remaining five were on-site. The first interview was with the recruiter and was not very technical but the other seven were very technical. Both two phone interviews are with a member of their engineering team. Both is about 45 mins, the first round has 2 coding questions and some simple questions, the second round is more technical.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at YouTube in February 2015.

2 Phone screens + Onsite Interview consisting of 4 45-minute technical interviews and 1 non-technical interview over lunch.

Questions from Career Cup and "Cracking the Coding Interview" are good ways to brush up. Know Java or C++ well. Definitely practice coding by hand rather than with a computer. Talk through your answers and design an algorithm before you start coding. If you can usually code good/optimal solutions to two unfamiliar questions on Career Cup by hand in under 45 minutes, you're in good shape.

Ultimately I made it to the hiring committee, but they opted not to hire me because my technical answers weren't quite good enough. YouTube/Google is, at the end of the day, looking for engineers with really, really strong coding chops and the ability to decompose technical questions into more familiar CS problems (quickly). I could have studied more, and it cost me.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about algorithms to which I was expected to code a response on a whiteboard. Big-O runtime estimation of my answers. Test cases for my answers. When I was able to answer a question, there would usually be a follow up consisting of a more complicated version of the original problem or a special case.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at YouTube in January 2015.

Recruiter emailed the day after I applied to set up a phone interview and get more background information. The interviewer called on the designated day and asked questions--he was friendly but his accent was hard to understand over the phone. At the end of the interview someone needed to use the office my interviewer was using so my interview ended without the opportunity to ask any questions.

Interview Questions
    • Given a binary tree, with the key of each node equal to the sum of its children plus itself, return a given node.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at YouTube in November 2014.

Got a phone interview about a month after application. The question asked is not that hard, and the recruiter was willing to give any hint. I did the first problem wrong, but he still gave me onsite. There are 4 rounds for the onsite interview, one hour for each, and it seems like they expect you to answer as much problems as possible.

Interview Questions
    • A question about filling in a area some text, choose the adequate font size.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at YouTube in October 2014.

I was contacted about a month later after career fair, and was scheduled for a phone interview. The recruiter was quite professional. I was asked about general data structure questions like what is a hashmap, the time complexity of operations of hashmap and bst, when you prefer bst to hashmap, what is java gc. Then I wrote a small program to remove duplicate strings in a file on google doc.
    Then I received a call from recruiter next day telling me to prepare for an onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • generally not hard. you have to be clear with basic data structures   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at YouTube in September 2014.

At Google Site, apply online, HR, redirect me to YouTube, one phone interview, 2hours later, HR call, tell me I can go to onsite, several weeks later, onsite interview, 2 rounds + (one to one)lunch + 2 rounds.

Content Creator Interview

It was a great place and I still create content for it. I liked the way they treated you and the process was probably the easiest thing I've ever done. I just jumped on the online Internet and I made an account on the website and I was a content creator. The management was easy because I was my own manager. What a surprise. It was a great process and I suggest everyone do it sometime. You can even rate videos.

Front-end Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at YouTube in June 2014.

The recruiter emailed me to schedule a technical interview for 45 min. She shared one google drive document with me which I used during an interview for writing a code also they provide you few sites to do code problem practice. On interview day, one of the member of engineering team member called me and without wasting time she started asking questions to me. Following are few of the questions she asked me (everything was as expected):

Interview Questions
    • -If a web page is taking time to load then how you will debug the problem?
      -Following problems she gave me to write a code for it. First she asked me the algorithm, then she asked me the time complexity.:
      Given a lists of strings, group them by last two letters.
      i.e. input :
      cat, top, bat, hop, rot, sat, food

op:
      cat, bat, sat
      top, hop

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied online – interviewed at YouTube in June 2014.

The first round was a telephonic interview. A engineer from Google took the interview and we spoke for about 35 minutes. The question was related to word guessing. I was asked to write a simple implementation or pseudocode. I was also asked about my ideas on how to solve the situation in the best possible way. Big-O notation are also important.

Interview Questions
    • The implementation part was difficult. However, with practice we should be able to get through this round fairly easily.   Answer Question