YouTube Online Operations Associate Interview Questions

2.7

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at YouTube in July 2010.

First was a skills test which was confidential, so I can not tell you about that. However, after that, there was a series of two interviews at the San Bruno site. Each one took about half an hour and covered such basic questions as what are your strengths, weaknesses, the usual gammut. In addition, they also asked me for potential solutions and ways I would handle customer service problems. The locale is quite nice and the people were very laidback and friendly. The next part was the waiting, which took about 2 weeks to get a response from Youtube if I was accepted or not, which I was not.

Interview Questions
  • What possible tools could Youtube develop to help filter inappropriate videos?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for YouTube

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at YouTube in May 2008.

This was a contract job. I was contacted by a 3rd party contracting company that found my resume on Craigslist. After an initial phone screening where I was basically presented with a brief but vague summary of the job and its perks, I was set up with an in-person interview. I interviewed with three employees at YouTube and started the job two weeks later. The contract started as a 3-month agreement and was extended to a full year. At the end of the year, Google requires contractors to take off three months before being eligible to start a new contract. At the end of the three months, I was asked to return for another year-long contract.

Interview Questions
    • Because of the nature of the job, the questions mainly revolved around how you would react to extreme content such as beheadings, bombings, and child exploitation content. If you say that you can't take it, you'll obviously not be offered the job.   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate for my first contract. The contract was already set. Before excepting the contract for my second year, I asked for at least three dollars more per hour, but they only raised the rate by one dollar per hour.

Online Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at YouTube in July 2011.

I applied online in April and heard nothing until July, when I received an email from a Google recruiter. The recruiter wanted to know if I could take a phone call, so we scheduled one for the next day. the phone call lasted for about half an our. Some of the questions asked inclluded, "what are your salary expectations?", "have you had any other job offers recently?", and "why do you want the job?".

Afterwards, I was told that the recruiter would be recommending that I proceed to the next round, which was to involve a telephone interview that would last for 40 minutes. A time was set for this, but the call never came. I found this very unprofessional; I had made arrangements to make myself available for the call as the designated time.

After twenty minutes, I received the call. It was an enjoyable interview. Questions included: "how many hours of content are uploaded to YouTube every minute?", "can you name a currently trending video", "can you think of a (hypothetical) video that would be controversial for YouTube?", and can you name events from the worlds of politics, sports, and entertainment that would have been popular on YouTube over the past week?".

Almost as soon as this interview was concluded, I was invited to attend an on-site interview in Barrow Street.

Having heard great things about Google, I was disappointed to be ignored by the receptionist for five minutes, and kept waiting, without acknowledgement, for ten minutes after my interview had been scheduled to start. Nevertheless, I was escorted by my interviewer to a room close to the employee floorspace where the interview began. This lasted for 45 minutes and was enjoyable. All questions were job-related. I was asked at one point why I wanted the job, given that I am "over qualified" for it. This surprised me, because the academic requirements for the job were pretty rigorous. Yet, it seemed that the actual role of Operations Associate is quite unskilled. With this question, the interviewer actually put me off the job.

I was then invited to ask the interviewer some questions. The first related to how many people would be a part of my team. This question could not be answered for reasons of confidentiality. I then asked about the potential for career development and the chance to branch out into different roles, assuming greater responsibility. I was told in no uncertain terms that were I to take the job, I would spend 70% of my team reviewing YouTube videos, and that this would not change. This also turned me off the job.

When this interview ended, another one began immediately. This one was quite similar, but questions all related to workplace scenarios. Some of the questions were very nebulously phrased, so I had to tease out more detail from the questioner. It ended after 25 minutes, and I was shown out, without being given a tour of the building or an offer of lunch, like I had been led to expect.

Interview Questions

The experience left me severely underwhelmed. I had been expecting a workplace nirvana; instead, I beheld mediocrity. I disliked the fact that employees don't have cubicles or, it seemed to me, adequate workspace. I don't think I could tolerate working in such conditions for very long. I also got the impression, perhaps wrongly, that Operations Associates are the grunts of YouTube. I am far too educated and skilled to do that indefinitely with no prospect of career growth. Also, the place was too youthful. No one seemed to be over thirty. I'm all for youth and energy, but there is a lot to be said for working with more seasoned colleagues, too. When the offer came, I declined it.