Philip Morris USA
www.philipmorrisusa.com Richmond, VA 5000+ Employees

Philip Morris USA Territory Sales Manager Internship Interview Question (student candidate)

I interviewed in Bedminster, NJ and was asked:
"Your company is not doing well financially and your boss has ordered you to bring money into the company by any means necessary. You have been dealing with a client for years and they have full trust in you. They are looking to buy a manufacturing machine that will bring in a lot of money for your company. The problem is, you know that the machine they are looking to buy from your company will be obsolete within a few months. However, your company is making a newer and better version of this machine that is coming out in 6 months. This will be a better choice for your client in the long run because if they get the other machine, they will be unable to use it when it goes obsolete in a few months. Your boss ordered you to get money by any means necessary, but you don't want to lose trust in your client. What do you do?"
Add Tags [?]
Answer Flag Question

Part of a Territory Sales Manager Internship Interview Review - one of 16 Philip Morris USA Interview Reviews

Answers & Comments

of 3
votes
There is no right or wrong answer to this question, but I will tell you my answer:

Although, my company needs money right now I am sure there is some way that we can put a team together to brainstorm other ideas of bringing money in without losing our client's trust. We will be able to do the business with the client in a few months when the new machine comes out. The long term value of the customer is much more important than making a quick buck, because you will make more money off the customer if you have their trust and they make repeat purchases and talk about your great business practices to other people.
- Interview Candidate on Apr 29, 2009 Flag Response

To comment on this question, Sign In with Facebook or Sign Up

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Philip Morris USA interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Philip Morris USA employees and interview candidates.