Youth Villages

32 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Specialized Crisis Counselor Interview

Specialized Crisis Counselor

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Youth Villages.

Interview Details – There was a telephone 'screening interview,' followed by in person interviews with local management. The telephone interview was weird! The interviewer was constantly pausing without explanation. I understand 'pausing' to be an interview tactic, but this was beyond that. The interviews left me with a strong impression that the company is a tad disorganized. I think most non-profits are the same way though, so I didn't draw any bias from that.

Interview Question – They present scenarios during the interview and ask what you would do in that scenario.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Counselor Interview

Counselor
Memphis, TN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Youth Villages in August 2010.

Interview Details – It was a pretty good process. They made sure new staff had the chance to observe the youth and the setting that they could potentially be working in. The orientation was fun. It takes a while for your background check to come back and you have to get fingerprinted and take a physical.

Interview Question – They asked me if I were to do a presentation on problem sexual behaviors; what would I do?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase.

Teacher Counselor Interview

Teacher Counselor

Interviewed at Youth Villages

Interview Details – Call with interviewer on the phone then had a group interview with a home director and someone else. I was honest and upfront. I believe one of the ladies was texting on her phone during the interview though.

Interview Question – The biggest questions they ask about is situations that really happen and see how you respond. My interviewer told me when it was over that they were looking at my ability to think outside of the box.   Answer Question

Family Intervention Specialist

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Youth Villages in March 2013.

Interview Details – I had a total of four Interviews. I had one phone screening and the other three were face to face. All were in a cool, welcoming environment. Most were at the various offices they had around the Memphis area.

Interview Question – Most of the questions were scenarios and "what would you do" type instances.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They stated the pay and spoke of the incentives, pay "bumps" and max pay for position based on educational level. No room for negotiation to my knowledge.

Memphis, TN

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Youth Villages in December 2011.

Interview Details – I had two phone interviews and then one in person where they had me drive accross the country for a half an hour in one room where they officially said they hired me. It was never in the job description given to me to be on call 24 hours a day.

Interview Question – They didn't really ask any difficult or unexpected questions. There were a lot of scenarios and I guess I wasn't really expecting that.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none. They would not negotate salary.

Teacher Counselor Interview

Teacher Counselor

Interviewed at Youth Villages

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty easy and convenient. I was part of a large college group and they brought managers to all come together in the operations center to interview us. I was nervous and a bit unprepared but I was able to get through it by being very personable.

Interview Question – Information about the company because i was confused about the numerous facilities   Answer Question

Memphis, TN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Youth Villages in June 2011.

Interview Details – Internet application. Phone conversation to schedule in person interview. Possible second interview to determine team setting.

Interview Question – They use situation and role playing formats for many questions.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Salaries are fairly non-negotiable.

Family Intervention Specialist

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Youth Villages.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a phone recruiter who directed me to complete on-line application steps separate from my initial submission through the Youth Villages website. After I completed this section, I was scheduled for an initial interview and also a second interview. High intensity in communication was maintained by phone and email before, between, and after interviews. Staff were professional and supportive in the process.

Interview Question – The most difficult question were scenario questions concerning specific clinical skill processes concerning potentially resistant clients.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not given the opportunity to negotiate salary.

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Youth Villages.

Interview Details – Sent in my application and received an email a few weeks later about an interview. Scheduled a phone interview with Sister Barbara, who was very kind and friendly. The interview lasted about 30ish minutes. The questions weren't hard at all; it was more like a chat. Heard back a few months later about being hired.

Interview Question – If you were an animal, what animal would you be? (not difficult, just unexpected because it came randomly towards the end)   Answer Question

Family Intervention Specialist

I applied online and interviewed at Youth Villages.

Interview Details – Applied Online. Received follow-up within 48 hours of applying. Phone interview conducted 48 hours after initial follow-up. Invited for face-to-face interview at the end of phone interview. Face-to-face interview was conducted two days after phone interview. Job offer presented at the end of face-to-face interview. Start date was one week after face-to-face interview. Quick process.

Interview Question – If you do your research on the YV interview process and the models they implement (MST and Intercept model) then you will know what to expect. Scenario questions make up a large portion of phone and face-to-face interview ("How would you handle this situation?")   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. Salary is set at $35,000 with a guaranteed salary increase of $3,000 at both the one year and two year mark. Contrary to other reviews, my interviewers were very upfront with me about the job description, but I also did my research and knew what questions to ask, as everyone should. The employers were very upfront about the work hours, non-traditional schedule, tremendous amount of paperwork, amount of driving, mileage reimbursement, and the supervision agreement. YV will provide supervision for licensure if you sign a contract stating that you will remain employed with them 24 months after COMPLETION of supervision. If you break the contract, you simply pay them back the amount owed for supervision (a rate that is actually lower than what you can expect if you seek supervision privately).

Interviews for Top Jobs at Youth Villages

Worked for Youth Villages? Contribute to the Community!