Youth Villages

26 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Teacher Counselor Interview

Interviewed at Youth Villages

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty easy and convenient. I was part of a large college group and they brought managers to all come together in the operations center to interview us. I was nervous and a bit unprepared but I was able to get through it by being very personable.

Interview Question – Information about the company because i was confused about the numerous facilities   Answer Question

Memphis, TN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Youth Villages in June 2011.

Interview Details – Internet application. Phone conversation to schedule in person interview. Possible second interview to determine team setting.

Interview Question – They use situation and role playing formats for many questions.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Salaries are fairly non-negotiable.

Family Intervention Specialist

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Youth Villages.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a phone recruiter who directed me to complete on-line application steps separate from my initial submission through the Youth Villages website. After I completed this section, I was scheduled for an initial interview and also a second interview. High intensity in communication was maintained by phone and email before, between, and after interviews. Staff were professional and supportive in the process.

Interview Question – The most difficult question were scenario questions concerning specific clinical skill processes concerning potentially resistant clients.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not given the opportunity to negotiate salary.

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Youth Villages.

Interview Details – Sent in my application and received an email a few weeks later about an interview. Scheduled a phone interview with Sister Barbara, who was very kind and friendly. The interview lasted about 30ish minutes. The questions weren't hard at all; it was more like a chat. Heard back a few months later about being hired.

Interview Question – If you were an animal, what animal would you be? (not difficult, just unexpected because it came randomly towards the end)   Answer Question

Family Intervention Specialist

I applied online and interviewed at Youth Villages.

Interview Details – Applied Online. Received follow-up within 48 hours of applying. Phone interview conducted 48 hours after initial follow-up. Invited for face-to-face interview at the end of phone interview. Face-to-face interview was conducted two days after phone interview. Job offer presented at the end of face-to-face interview. Start date was one week after face-to-face interview. Quick process.

Interview Question – If you do your research on the YV interview process and the models they implement (MST and Intercept model) then you will know what to expect. Scenario questions make up a large portion of phone and face-to-face interview ("How would you handle this situation?")   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. Salary is set at $35,000 with a guaranteed salary increase of $3,000 at both the one year and two year mark. Contrary to other reviews, my interviewers were very upfront with me about the job description, but I also did my research and knew what questions to ask, as everyone should. The employers were very upfront about the work hours, non-traditional schedule, tremendous amount of paperwork, amount of driving, mileage reimbursement, and the supervision agreement. YV will provide supervision for licensure if you sign a contract stating that you will remain employed with them 24 months after COMPLETION of supervision. If you break the contract, you simply pay them back the amount owed for supervision (a rate that is actually lower than what you can expect if you seek supervision privately).

Family Counselor Interview

Family Counselor
Johnson City, TN

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Youth Villages in February 2009.

Interview Details – 1st interview ended up being a group interview. No questions were asked, it was more for telling about the company. A second face to face interview was pretty basic, mostly reviewing resume and experience. No unexpected questions. The only thing I didn't like was that I did no interview with the person who would be my direct supervisor and I actually only got to meet her once for about 30 seconds during the interview process.

Interview Question – Would you be ok working under a supervisor who had less experience and less education than you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really was no negotiation. Basic entry level salary was offered. They really didn't seem like they would be open to any negotiation.

Teacher Counselor Interview

Teacher Counselor
Arlington, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Youth Villages in July 2009.

Interview Details – Short group interview followed by simple personal interview. If you get the interview you'll het the job

Negotiation Details – Non

Columbia, TN

I applied online - interviewed at Youth Villages in August 2013.

Interview Details – The first interview gives you details on salary and expectations as well as benefits. Keep in mind you can not work for Youth Villages if you have more than two traffic violations in the past three years. After you phone interview with the recruiter if you decide to move further they will help you move forward in the next steps which is another interview. I did not move past this step due to the relocation reimbursement not being what I expected and inability to move quickly.

Interview Question – Being given a scenario with limited information and asked how would you handle this situation and which techniques would you use.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Declined to move to the next interview due to cost of relocation and they were not willing to let me commute.

Manager Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Youth Villages.

Interview Details – I had three interviews for my current job at Youth Villages. I was asked a lot of questions about my job and my views of the organization.

Interview Question – What would you do in such and such a situation?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I wasn't able to negotiate much. This is a nonprofit, and there isn't much negotiation room unless you are applying for a high-level position.

Family Intervention Specialist Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Youth Villages.

Interview Details – Fairly easy, some questions over work history but primarily focused on scenarios and how I would handle various situations. This occurred in both the telephone interview and the face-to-face.

Interview Question – It was really the scenarios. You were not allowed to ask for additional information on the family/client and you were not briefed on company policy. So when a scenario begins with "you have been working with a family for 3 months and <blank> happens, what do you do?" it makes it difficult as a clinician to not have additional information because hopefully after 3 months you would have a pretty good idea. This should have been a warning that in the job, every situation has a specific response that is in no way based on clinical understanding or the therapeutic relationship.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, however they were not truthful. Initially I was told that there was a differential because I had a license. When I received a job offer it stated that there was no differential and no relocation ever offered from this office however, clinical supervision was provided. I repeatedly asked for clarification and got the same answer. Once employed after 6 months I found out that everyone after me received relocation expenses, there was a differential for a license but it had to be in the state I was relocating to and if I wanted clinical supervision, I had to sign a 2 year contract and if I left before it was up, I would owe them all the money back.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Youth Villages

Worked for Youth Villages? Contribute to the Community!

Youth Villages Videos

Youth Villages – Why Work for Us?

Evidentiary Family Restoration® is Youth Villages’ approach to helping our nation’s most vulnerable and troubled children. All our programs and services operate under this approach, which emphasizes family, measurement… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Youth Villages interview questions and advice. All 26 interview reviews posted anonymously by Youth Villages employees and interview candidates.