YuMe Interview Questions

Updated Jun 25, 2015

2.9

Account Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at YuMe (Redwood City, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online through Jobvite and was reached out to just under two months later. I was contacted by the Sr. Manager directly, rather than a recruiter or HR. Set up a phone call for a few business days later. Phone call was with another account manager and the senior manager. Again, no HR, which was a good sign. Talked to me about the specific projects on and asked me about previous experience. Everything went well. They were very friendly, and very accommodating when I stumbled over my words a few times. The phone screen took about 25 minutes, and I was able to ask as many questions as I needed.

About a day later, after I sent a follow-up email, I received a message from Recruiting to set up a time to interview in person at HQ. They were flexible and give me plenty of notice and help for parking in the area. The interview went well. First did a solo interview with the Account Manager I spoke with on the phone, they explained the projects I would be working on in more detail and wanted to learn about my experience prior to my resume. It was a very easy environment to speak in, I felt comfortable because we both talked about our experiences living in the area. Everyone was very friendly.

Next, I had a solo interview with the Sr. Account Manager, and they really nailed down the purpose and need for the projects I would be working on. Very transparent with the expectations and standards of the position. Very easy to communicate with, great at explaining the benefits and things I would be learning on the job. Even though we went over our time slot, they were very patient and accommodating, making sure I felt comfortable and important.

Left feeling good about myself and my potential. Sent a follow up the next morning, and was told a decision would be made either that day or the next. I was given the offer the next day.

Interview Questions

• How are you with an environment that might be more abstract or unstructured?   1 Answer
    • Why YuMe?   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at YuMe.

Interview

Extensive interview process. First interviewed with a recruiter, then went through a 1:1 with a Manager, then a panel of three different team members. Then I was brought for another interview with the initial manager and his Director, and finally to the SVP of Sales. Very thorough.

Human Resources Coordinator (Contract) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at YuMe (Redwood City, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

I just had an initial recruiter phone screen. The recruiter had a bit of an attitude and was quite rude. I wasn't sure if he was insulting me or complimenting me at times. He did not display company culture very well and was not a great representation of YuMe.

Interview Questions

He asked me to come onsite but because of my bad experience with the phone screen, I did not feel like YuMe was the right fit for me!

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at YuMe in June 2014.

Interview

There were five interviewers, the position will be working in the data science team comprised of a few people. All members of this group interviewed me. The first interviewer asked mostly was about basic probability and statistics, another about monte carlo simulations. The next one was a programming question. The one after that was about developing real time bidding algorithms. There were mostly looking for someone with optimization and real time bidding experience.

Interview Questions

• I know your current employer, does he know you are interviewing here?   1 Answer

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at YuMe (Redwood City, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

Pretty straightforward and standard interview.
    I came in for three rounds and met a variety of staff, managers, and Directors.
    Overall the process was informal. The interview mostly consisted of determining a right fit for the company, team, and culture. There was a lot of focus on expectations and the overall scope of the role which made my decision making a lot easier.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The offer was fair and I accepted it.

Acccounting and Finance Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at YuMe (Redwood City, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

contacted by HR recruiter who was pleasant. There appeared to be organizational friction in. High turnover it seemed. (sweat shop)

Interview Questions

• Higher ups are not good at seeding objectives that are aligned with one another across admin functions. (especially in finance). There weren't any tough questions. There issues are organizational.   1 Answer

Organizational dysfunctionality

Accounting/Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at YuMe (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

I was contacted by a YUME recruiter via Linedin and subsequently expressed my interest to learn more and submitted my resume. A week or two later I had a phone screening with the recruiter which in turn led to an in person interview with 4 people from the team.

I was primarily greeted by a bunch of disgruntled and burnt out employees. I think of the 4 people i met, 2 had only a few months under their belt with YUME and the other two were maybe a year or two in, none of which could really convince me that it would be even a decent place to work for. These people looked and sounded miserable and one senior manager went as far as to say(in a snarky tone mind you) there wouldn't be any growth opportunity in my role which i found obnoxious. Safe to say I wasn't sold on the job.

And the nail in the coffin is the lack of communication from the recruiters after the interview, there was none. Even if I wasn't selected for the job, they could have at least had the common courtesy and professionalism to send me a note via email to inform me so everyone is on the same page.

Side note, i found their location to be terrible and their building to be less than welcoming.

Junior Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at YuMe (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

The interview process was quiet quick. Got a call from the HR and within couple of days the first round of technical interview was scheduled. Asked a lot about present project then the interviewer gave a situation and asked how I will manage it. Then many technical questions. Then the HR called the next day and asked if he can schedule a second round of technical interview within the next two days.

The second round was with a senior DBA who had over 15 years of experience. The moment the conversation started I could see an arrogant attitude from the interviewer like What do you know? While I explained the situation he hardly listened to it and will stop in the middle saying we don't have much time. The interviewer will ask a question and if you know the answer and start explaining, he will stop to listen and stop you from explaining and move to the next question. The moment he finds you don't have a proper answer he will dive deep into it and ask 100 questions even though you had accepted that you are not an expert in that area in the very beginning.

The conversation was more like a situation to show his attitude that he knows everything in an arrogant way.

Interview Questions

• What is Mutex? Why is it happening?
      How do you set up sharding in MySQL?
      What are the parameters in Optimize table? How do you use those parameters?

Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at YuMe (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

Interview #1 - Phone
    Recruiter - explain duties/responsibilities, pay, etc

Interview #2 - in office
    1) Interview with Sales Engineering manager - explain job, normal boss type questions
    2) Interview with two other coworkers - asked about advertising, support and training exp.
    3) Interview with Software Engineer - DRILLED every technical term/technology on resume

Interview #3 - in office
    1) Interview with Sales Engineering manager again - Reviewed Javascript code to find out how much coding you knew, mostly needed to know how to read code not write it.
    2) Interview with CTO/Co-founder - Very intense interview. Wanted to make sure you already loved to company and work your hardest for him and the company.

Interview Questions

• Didn't know I would be reviewing Javascript code, this caught me off-guard.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was not able to negotiate at all. Original offer was the only offer. Pay was on average for what I was told I would do but ended up doing a much different job. Mostly doing phone/email support

Product Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at YuMe (Redwood City, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

Interview setup was fast since I went through employee referral. Questions are easy. They care more about the fit with the company, ability to work in a startup environment and also work with their R&D team based in India. Looked like the company is growing crazy, since they were interviewing several candidates for various positions. While there weren't any delays in the interview process, they had to be pinged several times for the final decision after they mentioned that they would most likely extend an offer. In the end, it turned out that the decision was a no.