ZL Technologies Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2014
Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.1

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ZL Technologies.

30 minute phone interview, mainly behavioral, often ask brain teasers.
    1 hour in person interview with the recruiting department.
    Final round interview with the CEO. This can be taxing and time consuming. Expect a lot of questions from every possible topic.

Interview Questions
    • How many of this hand sanitizer bottle can you fill the room with?   Answer Question
    No negotiation phase possible

Marketing Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ZL Technologies.

Applied through school website, and then the first round was an online basic math examination. The questions weren't hard, but there's a 15-min time limit on 25 questions. Then had a phone interview with the manager about 1 month ago, and never heard back.

Marketing and Business Development Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at ZL Technologies.

One of the most interesting processes that I have ever been in. It took almost 4 months to go through this process. I took the initial math test and scored a 41/50. Moved to the next round with the initial phone interview. They made it seem like it was just a behavioral; however, it was 45 minutes long: 15 minutes behavioral, 15 minute brain teasers, 10 minute case study/ presentation, and 5 minutes for questions. Very rigorous phone interview. From there it was over a month before I heard that I had progressed to the next round. The final round was with the CEO. Very interesting interview but also incredibly rigorous. One should be able to support ones own ideas and not feel frustrated by being challenged by the CEO. He comes off as incredibly proud and demanding, but do not let that deter you.

Interview Questions
    • You are in a room with no furniture and 4 friends. You have a ping pong ball in a hole in the center of the room with a de-activating chip in it. The hole is the diameter of the ping pong ball plus one cm on each side and is 8 inches deep. You must take the ping pong ball from the hole to outside the room to de-activate a nuclear device outside in 5 minutes. Without making any assumptions, how do you do this?   Answer Question

Marketing and Business Development Associate Interview

I interviewed for a full-time position after graduation. My interactions with individuals during phone and in-person interviews were positive, although some questions were unexpected or took some thinking. The interview process involved a phone interview (with a brainteaser question), an online test with numerical questions, and a final interview with the CEO.

Interview Questions
    • During the final interview I was asked how I would market a certain political candidate.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ZL Technologies in March 2014.

I sent my application through university careers website, got call a few weeks later. First round with HR (normal screening), followed by a test (some 50 questions in 15 mins, questions were easy) next round with a director of the professional services division later with a senior member within the professional service division. After that never heard back. This is one of the stupidest interview process I ever came across, no one knows what role I applied for, the last interviewer told he worked for straight 16 hrs the previous day for a production deployment and there would be atleast 10 such deployments every month. He hinted me the company was not a cool place to work with. After reading the employee reviews and from my own experience, I would never have joined the company even if i heard back!

Entry Level Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at ZL Technologies in March 2014.

Interview started with a quantitative test, HR calls saying i am better than two thirds taking the test, asks for a few questions and called me onsite the next day for a software position though I am into hardware

Interview started with administering the test again, then given some puzzles
    after this, somebody from the engineering team comes in and starts asking software jargons knowing very well Im a hardware person..felt he was prepared not to hire and was just wasting my time and his...Then dismisses me saying i will hear back for future correspondence...Half way on my way back get a call from HR apologising for mismangement and asks me to come back another time

Like Seriously!!!!!!

Didnt want to go back

Business Development, Sales & Marketing Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ZL Technologies.

I applied online through my university's job portal. I didn't receive a response for a quite a while. When I finally did, I received an email from their Head of Recruiting asking me to take their online Speed Test. It is a timed online test and the goal is to get through as many of the questions as possible in the allotted time. The questions are fairly simple, basic math and fill-in-the-blank type questions. A few days after completing that I was told to contact someone else to set up a phone interview. I got a very quick response to that email, within minutes, so I was pleasantly surprised. We set up the interview quickly. The phone interview itself was fairly straightforward. Standard interview questions for the most part and lasted less than 30 minutes. I thought the interview went well and was told about what the entire interview process would be like from that point. I never did hear back from the company, which I find very disappointing. After taking the time to conduct a phone interview I at least expected a simple email letting me know their decision. I didn't hear back even after sending a follow up email.

Marketing and Business Development Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at ZL Technologies in October 2013.

I applied though my university career services site. I never got to the interview. The speed test was administered. There are 50 questions to complete in about 16 minutes. I answered 25/50 and was told that I scored higher than 2/3 of applicants but there were 2500 applicants from top schools across the country for only 15 spots. That's less than 1% acceptance rate. They told me that I could take the speed test again in 9-12 months.

Marketing Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZL Technologies in September 2013.

I applied this position through my university, and within one week, I received a link to finish the speed test. Only two hours I completed the test, I got an email about phone interview. We set up a time slot but on the morning of the interview day, I got an email about cancelling the discussing. The reason was he had a internal meeting. Then I had the interview next week. The interview is a normal HR processing, but it was a little bit weird. After I walked through my resume, he asked me why you applied for this position. He wanted the people do the sales part not the marketing analyst. But you see my resume, it didn't fit this position well why you interview me. The company didn't have large data set to analyze and only one product to sale, but background is about quantitative analysis.

Support/Installation/Or Possibly Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ZL Technologies in June 2013.

ZL is definitely an up an comer in the unstructured data archiving space. Having said that the interview process is pretty straight forward. I have worked in the unstructured data archiving space for some time and I admired their product so I already had a connection with one of their recruiters / sales people. I was interested in exploring a position with them so I reached out and submitted my resume. They liked what they saw and they set me up with a phone interview. The phone interview was a tech skills based interview to see if I knew what I was talking about with regards to email archiving. I passed the phone interview with flying colors and was flown up for multiple in person interviews with support / account management / pre-sales / and finally the CTO. The interviews were made up of a mixture of personality / technical / logic questions / and general product space conversation. The final interview was by far the most revealing. The CTO interview who I cannot say enough positive things about went extremely well so much so that he really wanted to grab the CEO to have a conversation with me. He returned after talking to the CEO and told me the CEO would only be interested in talking to me once a 15 minute 50 question logic test was administered and scored and he asked me if I would be willing to take the test. He was clear and explained that this test would determine what job options would be open to me in the company. After I took the test I found out I did OK and better than a lot of people but not well enough for the CEO to actually come and talk to me or to have the sales engineering position open to me . I was called the week after and it was made clear that a support / installation job was available to me but it seemed that I was more interested in sales engineering which was not available to me. I was originally OK with the support / Installation position but after reading the employee reviews and the about face the CTO had to make after talking to the CEO I didn't feel really great about working for the company that valued experience and their own CTO's enthusiasm so little.

Interview Questions
    • The 15 minute 50 question math based logic test is the beginning and the end of determining where you fit in the company. Experience and knowledge of the space come quite a distance behind it.   Answer Question

Frankly the employee reviews on glass door as well as my own interview experience showed that this is simply a company looking for the best and brightest that are fresh out of a big name school and most likely cheap. If I was the CEO of a small company that wanted the best and brightest on a budget I would probably use a similar strategy but I would temper it with people that had good experience and a track record in the space because this company is not about making it big overnight.