ZL Technologies Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

3.2

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ZL Technologies (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

First step was an online math and reasoning test. 50 questions in 20(?) minutes. If you are good at math, you will have no problem with this test. Next step was a phone interview with a current employee (not a recruiter). He asked general questions about my resume and ended the interview with 2 short brain teasers. The call took about 30 minutes Next, I was told that they would be conducting a final round interview in Chicago. This was with the CEO and a member of the recruiting team. They gave the math test again after which I was given a longer brain teaser. Then I had a 1v1 talk with the CEO where he asked me a lot of personal questions about my upbringing, background, my education, etc. He really wanted to get to know who I was.

Interview Questions

• Can you think of two companies or two services that, merged together, would create a more efficient or otherwise powerful business?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ZL Technologies.

Interview

The interview process was a phone screening which included basic behavioral questions, a sales pitch, and then a brain teaser. The second and third rounds were done together on one day; the first interview was more behavioral stuff and the second a one-on-one was with the CEO. That was odd with the questions seeming to have more of a "getting to know you" purpose than being related directly to the position.

Interview Questions

• What's a company that's made marketing mistake and how would you correct it?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ZL Technologies.

Interview

First, they asked me to take a speed test which is very simple and straight forward and after two weeks, they invited me for a phone interview and basically are behavioral questions. The person interviewed me was nice but I was quite nervous so I didn't do well. I am waiting for their final decisions and there will be a face-to-face interview if I get into next round.

Interview Questions

• Why do you choose your major? What's your favorite class?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ZL Technologies.

Interview

There were some good aspects and some terrible, awful ones within the interview process. First, they are very unorganized in their recruitment process. They don't have one person dedicated to recruiter which is a great flaw. I had three rounds--the first one was with a current associate at ZL--she was very friendly and there's really nothing to be worried about with this round. They do ask you a brainteaser at the end. The second round I had an interview with someone more experienced. This was actually really fun and a bit unconventional. A lot of marketing "role playing types". For example he asked me questions like "make an argument for anything", " tell me a company/industry/organization than has made a fatal marketing mistake". It really tested my creativity and the interviewer definitely pushed me positively. However, the last round was with the CEO. Now THIS was REALLY awkward. I'm all for unconventionality, however, this was awful. So awful. He was uninterested, awkward, abrupt, and really turned me away from the company. Be prepared to answer the most unimportant, random questions about yourself, and expect rude responses and to feel crappy about yourself afterwards. Even though I did get it, my interactions with the CEO gave me such a negative perspective of the company and really turned me away from this opportunitiy.

Business Development & Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ZL Technologies (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Applied online through University job postings, got an email about 2 weeks later inviting me to take a speed intelligence test-very easy. Waited about 2 weeks and never heard back so I emailed asking when I should plan to hear from them and asked about the next steps in the process. She replied I did very well and she would like to set up a phone interview. Phone interview 1 1/2 later. Interview went very smoothly until they asked a brain teaser. She had to help me solve it-very difficult. Review any you can find online to get in the right mindset. 2 weeks later got an email that I did not get the position.

Interview Questions

• You have 2 containers, one is 5 gallons the other is 3 gallons. You also have a hose with unlimited water. How will you fill up exactly 4 gallons. Restrictions: cannot make any estimates, containers are 2 different sizes with no markers. You cannot weigh them, you cannot time them because water pressure is inconsistent.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ZL Technologies.

Interview

The worse interview I ever had. To begin with, every interview started 30 mins late. I talked with several people in the company but from those only 1 was someone that I felt like I would like to work with. The others looked so stressed and miserable. One of the interviewers spent the whole hour just talking about how his work was difficult and he couldn't make mistakes, he didn't even make questions to me. I was just sitting there listening to his complains. They were so defensive that even simple questions about their work trigger a response with a tone of "are you criticizing my approach?". Then, there was the CTO. Very rude, chock-full of prejudice and with a know it all attitude. The CTO then started his shpeal. First by saying how the "kids" in San Francisco have it easy and get a lot of money to do silly things, but ZL was a place for serious and hard work. Then he scanned through my resume criticizing every thing he would find and ended it with a question in an ironic tone, how much are you asking again? Because this resume is quite weak. Needles to say that when I said my expected salary he said it was way too much. Then he continued talking about how in ZL you absolutely can't make mistakes, because it is a serious business. He talked about how he doesn't make mistakes in a long self-aggrandizing story. While he was talking I had a sudden clarity moment understanding why every one was so defensive there, the CTO was creating a toxic defensiveness culture with this no errors allowed policy. Then there was this ridiculous math test. To me just shows how backward the company is, all companies are deprecating these tests because they are just not correlated with performance. You have a couple seconds to answer each question. The questions are on the level of easy GRE questions, but with much less time. He said it was a test to evaluate intelligence. Like intelligence is only composed by math quickness. He also talked how the test was so easy that even his 7 year old daughter would do well on it. After all that I couldn't even think, the only thing that was in my mind is how miserable I would be working there. Its hard to not notice how non-diverse the company is...

Interview Questions

• Easy GRElike questions but with much less time, like 40 seconds, you can barely finish reading each question.   Answer Question

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ZL Technologies.

Interview

30 minute phone interview, mainly behavioral, often ask brain teasers. 1 hour in person interview with the recruiting department. Final round interview with the CEO. This can be taxing and time consuming. Expect a lot of questions from every possible topic.

Interview Questions

• How many of this hand sanitizer bottle can you fill the room with?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation phase possible

Marketing Associate Interview

Application

Interview

Applied through school website, and then the first round was an online basic math examination. The questions weren't hard, but there's a 15-min time limit on 25 questions. Then had a phone interview with the manager about 1 month ago, and never heard back.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at ZL Technologies.

Interview

One of the most interesting processes that I have ever been in. It took almost 4 months to go through this process. I took the initial math test and scored a 41/50. Moved to the next round with the initial phone interview. They made it seem like it was just a behavioral; however, it was 45 minutes long: 15 minutes behavioral, 15 minute brain teasers, 10 minute case study/ presentation, and 5 minutes for questions. Very rigorous phone interview. From there it was over a month before I heard that I had progressed to the next round. The final round was with the CEO. Very interesting interview but also incredibly rigorous. One should be able to support ones own ideas and not feel frustrated by being challenged by the CEO. He comes off as incredibly proud and demanding, but do not let that deter you.

Interview Questions

• You are in a room with no furniture and 4 friends. You have a ping pong ball in a hole in the center of the room with a de-activating chip in it. The hole is the diameter of the ping pong ball plus one cm on each side and is 8 inches deep. You must take the ping pong ball from the hole to outside the room to de-activate a nuclear device outside in 5 minutes. Without making any assumptions, how do you do this?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

I interviewed for a full-time position after graduation. My interactions with individuals during phone and in-person interviews were positive, although some questions were unexpected or took some thinking. The interview process involved a phone interview (with a brainteaser question), an online test with numerical questions, and a final interview with the CEO.

Interview Questions

• During the final interview I was asked how I would market a certain political candidate.   Answer Question