ZS Associates

Updated Dec 10, 2014

3.3

59 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Business Analytics Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ZS Associates.

Had first round interview on campus. Interview was 30 minutes case, 30 minutes behavioral. Had a different interviewer for each part of the interview. Case was a little tricky and I was not quite prepared for all the math I had to do, but overall fair and not excessively difficult. Behavioral was really straightforward and felt like more of a conversation than a job interview. Both Interviewers were very friendly and helpful.

Other Interview Reviews for ZS Associates

Business Analytics Associate Interview

I applied online and got contacted a few days later by HR for a brief phone screening, which was simple and straightforward; it just goes through your qualifications and preferences. Shortly thereafter, I got contacted for a two-part phone interview, the first part case and the second part behavioral, with each part lasting half an hour.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when a group project went badly and what you would have done differently looking back at it.   Answer Question

Business Analytics Associate Interview

I applied online and had a first-round phone interview within two weeks. The first half was a case interview, consisting of both quantitative and qualitative questions. For the quantitative questions, I recommend using an excel spreadsheet rather than a calculator. The math was fairly easy and straightforward (all numbers were given). The second half was a behavioral interview. The questions were all standard. Waiting to have second-round interview.

Interview Questions
    • Evaluate pros/cons of various marketing techniques used by pharma sales reps on oncologists (ie: publishing in a reputable journal, blogging online, presenting at a conference)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates in October 2014.

Two weeks after I submitted my application I was offered a first round interview by email.

First Interview (Phone Interview):
    It consisted of a 30 minute behavioral interview with one person. There were three standard questions and the rest of the time is left for you to ask questions. Then, there is a 30 minute case interview via a screen share application. I started a little late because it took a while to download the add-in. There are four slides with tables of data and some questions. I needed to have general knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry (common sense) and know about market share, sales force, revenue, gross margin etc. I was nervous about this part because of my engineering background. There is also a part you have to qualitatively look at data and explain your thought process for choosing one group over another. I actually calculated the wrong things, and the interviewer steered me back to the question I was supposed to answer. I was nervous that I was not following directions, but I was able to calculate the correct values. You should use Excel for the case.

HR called me two business days after the interview offering to fly me to the nearest office. They give feedback, and HR told me my interviewers really liked me.

Second Interview (Nearest Office):
    There were three other people being interviewed that day for the same position. First, we were greeted by the recruiter in the lobby. Everyone had interviews in a different order but with some of the same people. Every section of the interview was 40 minutes. I had a standard behavioral interview with a principal. Next, I had to prep a case, which was similar to the ones given in the first interview but more in depth. I was not able to finish it, but I think that was expected. Then, I discussed the case with a manager, which was supposed to be a mock discussion in a team meeting or at lunch with a client. After, I had a demo where a BAA showed me what a typical project was for someone in the position. I recommend being very attentive and asking intelligent questions because he asked specific questions to make sure I was smart and absorbing what he was talking about. Next, I had an analytical case interview with a principal. This is a standard business case interview, so I would definitely practice a lot beforehand. My question was about what would you think about when building a home improvement store in a metropolitan area. Then, I had lunch with a consultant and was given a tour of the office.
    Overall, the second interview was chaotic and unprofessional. They printed the wrong case, so it ruined the timing of everything else for everyone visiting that day. One of the interviewees had to prep in two different periods, which shortened her lunch. Someone was listed on my schedule to take me to lunch, so I was confused when a different person did. The person who took me to lunch was supposed to give me a tour of the office but didn't seem to know that. HR came out and realized what had happened, and someone they seemed to retrieve last minute gave me my tour. I had a lot of stuff because I brought homework to do at the hotel, and I am pretty sure someone said a snarky comment about how much stuff I had. Even if I was given an offer, I am not sure if I would have taken it because of this experience.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to do sales and marketing specifically?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates in September 2014.

I applied online and recieved an email asking when I would be able to have a phone interview. It was with HR and they went over my resume, clarifying different points. They said they would contact me within a week, but it took them two weeks. They scheduled two back-to-back interviews with me, the first being technical and the second behavioral. In the technical interview they showed me data for different companies and asked me to find patterns. Have a pen and paper ready to come up with simple algebraic formulas and have a calculator handy. The difficulty was easy/medium. The behavioral interview had questions like "describe a time when you worked as part of a team and failed to meet a deadline. What did you do?". All questions were asking to describe negative experiences from the past, and how I handled them.

Interview Questions
    • Here are different marketing strategies and how much it costs to execute them. Which one would you choose and why?   View Answer

Business Analytics Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates.

Applied on the website and heard back shortly for a phone interview. Phone interview was half case and half behavioral. After phone interview, later that day was invited for final round interview in office. Final round interview was 5 hours long and consisted of 4 1:1 meetings and lunch. One meeting was behavioral, one was a what to expect presentation, and two were case related.

Interview Questions
    • Cases were straightforward as long as you took your time and thought logically.   Answer Question

Business Analytics Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates in July 2014.

I was contacted on multiple unrelated occasions via both LinkedIn and email (probably after seeing info I had left on Monster), even though I had put in applications months before. I am guessing they picked up on my engineering degrees. Mind you, I have a masters and project management experience so I'm familiar with real business situations, not hypothetical cases given to most consultant candidates. I made this point to the recruiter but decided to go ahead anyway with the interview.

After a screening phone call, there was a over-the-internet business simulation that a current consultant monitored while simultaneously talking on the phone. The questions are about picking out trends given a few data points and overall were very simple; you can use Excel or a calculator from your own computer. It's a very standard business case like you might see at another consultancy. However, it was quite different from how I ran actual projects at my current job and it was apparent they did not like that. I don't like to say this but it seems they are looking for the canned business case answers that don't reflect experience. I received an automated rejection a few hours later and haven't gotten any solicitations since.

This seems a good position for grads looking for a consulting starting point but not for experienced hires, especially those with their own project experience.

Interview Questions
    • What is the trend for [item] going from Year [A] to Year [B]? (you will be given random data points)   Answer Question

Business Analytics Associate Interview

Questions based on the experience from your resume, many behavioral questions, such as: tell me about your experience to overcome a difficulty in a group, what's your weakness and strengthens.

Business Analytics Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ZS Associates.

First round was a computer based test with basic math/english/logical reasoning questions. This was followed by a group discussion and then a case study. The final rounds were principal and behavioral interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Related to the case study that was given. Need to spend time understanding it and thinking of all possible questions .   Answer Question
    Since in my case it was a campus placement there was no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at ZS Associates.

On campus recruiting and final round interviews. There were a mix of behavioral and case interviews, as well as general analyst questions. Final rounds were hosted on site, lasting 5 hours and consisting of multiple interviews.

Interview Questions
    • "What would you be most concerned about on your first day of work"   View Answer