ZS Associates

Updated Jan 5, 2015

3.7

33 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Business Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ZS Associates.

My first interview was arranged through campus recruitment. It consisted of two parts: one 30-minute behavioral interview and one 30-minute case interview. The case interview is not the usual case interview, but they are tailored to truly seeing how you analytically think when given a problem. They truly do just want to see your thought process and see how you think. The second round was on-site and consisted of one behavioral interview, one case interview like the first interview, one pitch presentation/interview, and a demo of what they do.

Interview Questions
  • What would you consider as your typical role in a team, and what's the hardest part about it?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for ZS Associates

Business Associate Interview

I applied through the online application and the application (I believe it is hosted through Taleo) is very time-consuming and tedious to applicants. The entire process, even conducted relatively at a quick pace, still took over 3 hours. The online form requires information like PDF documents of academic transcripts and rather personal identifying information before the candidate even knows whether they will receive an interview. The form is counter-intuitive and often will make you go back and fill in weird boxes that are easily missed the first time around. ZS, per their posting on the UC Berkeley Callisto website, requires applicants to double-apply through both Callisto and the ZS main website. All-in-all, a rather discourteous way to treat applicants who won't even be notified that they did not even get in the door for an interview.

As a side note, the recruiter's informational session at UC Berkeley in February was somewhat generic and guarded-it seemed that the ZS staff there were doing it more as a formality and it did not give meaningful opportunities to network with firm staff or to get more genuine knowledge about the internal culture or operations of ZS.

Overall, I still hold interest in working in the consulting field in my future career plans, but I would consider it unlikely that I would ever apply to ZS Associates given this kind of treatment.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense, excluding minor drug violations (e.g. marijuana)?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at ZS Associates.

The interview is very detailed. It consists of two cases, a behavioral interview with an executive and an interview where you meet with someone on a peer level. You aren't allowed to use a calculator and don't have a lot of time on one of the cases to read through everything and prepare and present to one of the Managers that runs consulting.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates in July 2014.

Communicated with HR based off European office for position in another European office. Was via employee referral and interviewed in a US office. The referral to interview took approx. 1 month and had behavioral interview via phone with a manager from European office (standard questions). Analytical interview with principal in US office. Case about a new cancer drug about to be released in market with LOADS of calculations. Non-traditional case interview since case material and calculation to be done provided as printed slides. Heard back the same day that was through to the second round but later offer was retracted citing strange language considerations, work permit reasons and even stranger was the fact that they offered a position to a non-European candidate recently and they did not want to offer another one now! They must have known all this before hand then why put me through this process at all?!? Strange and I did not enjoy this process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at ZS Associates.

I first spoke with the recruiter because I was referred by a current employee. She set up a phone interview that consisted of a case study and a behavioral interview. I thought my case study was a wreck but I received a second interview. The second interview was in office and lasted all morning. They were unprepared and it was very hectic but overall I had a good experience. There were 2 case interviews, 1 behavioral with the director of the office, and 1 session with a current business associate. Did not end up getting an offer because they felt I didn't have enough business knowledge due to my science background.

Interview Questions
    • I come from a science background and they expected me to know a lot of complex business terminology and equations.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates in January 2014.

I began the interview process as a referral in December and set up a first round phone interview for early January. I flew out a couple weeks later for an on site super day. The recruiter was nice and very helpful even though we were working together around the holidays.

First Round:

Case Interview (30 Minutes - Phone): The case wasn't too challenging but you are forced to make recommendations on the spot and run calculations which can be stressful. Try to sound confident and be articulate.
    Behavioral Interview (30 Minutes - Phone): Three standard fit questions followed by my own questions for the interviewer.

I was invited to a second round at the San Mateo office. There were three interviews, a project demo, and lunch with a current Business Associate.

Second Round:
    Lunch: Very casual, make sure you show interest in the company and be personable.
    Behavioral (30 Minutes): Mine was with a principle, not very high stress. Three fit questions, each of which turned into a small conversation. See above.
    Analytical Case (80 Minutes): You are given 40 minutes of prep time to work through a packet of information, make calculations and recommendations, then draw up a few ppt slides to walk through with a consultant. This was the most stressful part of the day. You'll be rushed so make sure you double check you numbers, ZS really cares about quant skills.
    Project Demo (45 Minutes): A Business Associate went over a few quantitative and qualitative projects typical of a BA. Make sure you show interest and ask good questions.
    Case Interview (45 Minutes): Very similar to the first round case interview only in person.

Overall great experience. I was stressed but confident enough not to let it show. Double check all of your calculations and try to be articulate. They emphasized multiple times that they're looking for someone who not only can do the job well but also fit in the culture. I felt like I fit in well which made me less anxious overall.

People: It's a very young office with people from all over the country. Everyone that I met was very intelligent and seemed like they enjoyed their job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when something didn't go as planned. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    The salary was competitive so I did not negotiate. The start date is flexible.

Business Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates in October 2013.

I first found out about ZS Associates from my university career website. I applied online and was granted an on campus interview. The interview lasted one hour, with one half hour case interview and one half hour behavioral. The case was very analytical and high stress, I was constantly on my toes, and the behavioral was very general.
    I was then invited to headquarters for a final round. It included a lunch, project demonstration, behavioral interview, case interview, and analytical case. The analytical case you are given 45 minutes to prepare a case and then you present it. I would just say make sure you prioritize what is important because you will be rushed. The rest I would just say pay attention and ask good questions that show you are interested.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you came up with a creative way of doing things. Tell me about a life goal and how you reached/are trying to reach it   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate as I was happy with the salary. I chose ZS because of its dedication to professional development

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at ZS Associates.

Applied through their online site in October. Got a callback in March.
    I was not impressed with firm itself. I had another job deadline and HR would not help expedite the process.
    Interview consisted of a case study on WebEx, which did not work the first time. Case study involves lots of number crunching on the fly.
    All in all, the process was very unprofessional.

Business Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ZS Associates in April 2013.

Applied through OCR. Two rounds, cases and fit questions in each round. Tricky cases - primarily interviewer led. Cases in the biopharmaceutical industry.

Business Associate Interview

Case interviews very heavy on interpretation of graphs and numbers. Not surprisingly, they were all about new drug launches. For one case, I was handed a packet of information and given time alone to prepare before meeting with the interviewer to discuss my insights. I just assumed that no calculators were allowed and did all my numbers by hand, but later found out that other candidates used calculators in their preparation for the case. More clear directions either way would have made things more fair.

One thing the company did that I liked was having an associate show me an example of his work. The associate walked through a sample powerpoint that would be typical work product for a client. This gave me a chance to see if the type of work being done by the company was something that I might enjoy doing.

Interview Questions
    • One interviewer chose not to ask me any questions at all, and I had to fill a 45 minute session entirely with my questions. He told me he learned plenty about candidates based on the questions they asked. So come with a list of good questions.   Answer Question