ZS Associates

Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Operations Associate Interview

Business Operations Associate
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview Details – Missed the initial on-campus interview, so had a phone interview. Simple case questions and behavioral questions. On site, similar. Toughest part was walking through the case with the manager, make sure you go through your thinking process with them so they can steer you in the right direction. Don't try to impress them with buzz words, they'll see through it. Just be logical.

Interview Question – Describe a perfect process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Associate Intern Interview

Evanston, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ZS Associates in February 2014.

Interview Details – Very straight forward. It is split into two 30 minute interviews. The first is very behavioral (tell me about a time when...) and questions like Why ZS? The second portion is a case interview. The case is just a packet they hand you and say "go". Very simple math and they ask you to brainstorm a few ideas for recommendations.

Interview Question – Forecast revenues for a pharma company   Answer Question

Business Analytics Associate Interview

Business Analytics Associate
Evanston, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ZS Associates in November 2013.

Interview Details – Straightforward and follow the format listed on their website:

First round behavioral+Case interview with 2 people (around 1 hour in total)

Final round Behavioral+Case+Analytics with 3 different people (prepare for 4-5 hours).

Case interview is position-specific. No general case questions (ex: profit went down 20%, why?). Expect simple calculations. Some knowledge of simple sales/marketing terminologies will be asset for non-business background applicants.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult analytically; for non-business background applicants, brush up on some simple industry and sales/marketing terms and calculations   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate, very good offer for starting position

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Business Associate Interview

Business Associate
Evanston, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at ZS Associates in December 2012.

Interview Details – I've heard really great things about ZS and its culture from a friend who works there. I was referred and had an hour long phone interview, after which I was invited for a full-day in person interview. I had one behavioral interview with a Principal, two technical interviews and one sit-down with a current employee to see what they do - note that the sit-down is actually an interview to see how interested you are in their work! I felt that I did really well in all but the behavioral. I had bronchitis the week before the interview and was still a little hoarse (should have requested a change of date!) and the Principal that I interviewed with got really testy when I coughed a few times and had to drink some water. After a while, he just tuned out and started looking at his computer. I think it was unbelievably rude and unfair of him to dismiss me for a cough, but I really should have told them during scheduling that I needed extra time to recoup and lose my cough.

Interview Question – The more difficult case study gave me a packet of information about trial results from a new drug. They gave me a half hour to sift through it and develop a recommendation for which strategy to pursue in selling the drug. There was a handy sheet for me to write pros and cons to use in my answer that guided me through how to make the recommendation.   View Answer

Business Analytics Associate Interview

Business Analytics Associate
Evanston, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ZS Associates in June 2011.

Interview Details – Two interviews in the process. One is by phone, and is done in two parts. The first part is a standard interview (about your education, experience, etc), and the second part consists of a small case study, followed by a discussion of your answers and thought process. the second interview is a day long interview done in the office. You will meet with people at each level (associate, consultant, etc), and it is a similar experience to the phone interview (a mix of typical interviews with case studies thrown in). At this point there is also a written case study.

Interview Question – How do you choose between two locations to place a new store   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. I was given a contract and accepted

Operations Delivery Associate Interview

Evanston, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at ZS Associates in January 2013.

Interview Details – At first I got an email from HR asking me to set up a phone interview. It was very simple and quick, basically just a little about myself and learning about the position. About a month later, they contacted me to set up a follow up phone interview. This was about an hour, split into two parts, a half hour case study (They emailed the materials for it at the start of the interview) and a half hour behavioral portion. A month after that I got a phone call from HR saying that they decided to not hire at all for the position after all.

Interview Question – In what ways have you made a process more efficient/streamlined?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Chicago, IL

I applied online - interviewed at ZS Associates in April 2013.

Interview Details – First interview was a phone interview, basically walking them through my resume, and was asked questions about my experience.

Second interview was a 30 minute technical assessment and a 30 minute behavioral.

Interview Question – Technical questions was to come up with an algorithm for finding the 5 most common words in a list.   Answer Question

Human Resources Associate Interview

Evanston, IL

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 days - interviewed at ZS Associates in September 2008.

Interview Details – Phone screen
Phone interview
Group interview
1:1 Interveiew with a Principal of the company

Interview Question – What is the biggest or most embarrasing mistake you made on the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Short and direct

Business Associate Interview

Business Associate
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at ZS Associates in November 2011.

Interview Details – Initial on-campus interview which consisted of two parts, a personality interview and a typical case. Second round interview spanned a few hours at the Evanston branch and consisted of a couple case interview, a presentation given by a co-worker, another personality portion, and lunch with an associate.

Interview Question – If you were to set up a hardware store around town, how would you go about doing so?   Answer Question

Business Operations Associate Interview

Business Operations Associate
Evanston, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at ZS Associates in November 2011.

Interview Details – I interviewed on two separate days. The first day consisted of a one-on-one behavioral interview, where we discussed my work history and habits and other standard interview fare. There was also a case-study interview on the first day, and the case was relatively easy. It mostly involved scanning data for errors and offering suggestions for improved process flow. The next day I was invited back for a second round of interviews.

The second round of interviews was about a week or so after the first round, and there were two case-studies, a one-on-one behavioral interview with a principal, a demonstration session, and a one-on-one lunch. The whole process lasted about five hours. The cases in the second round were considerably more difficult, and were apparently fairly representative of the work the company does. I honestly found the cases to be dull, and I did not excel on them. As a result, I did not receive an offer.

I commend ZS for the speed of the process. I received a call the day after the second round with their decision. Everyone I met was friendly and honest about their work. The person who took me to lunch told me that he really did not like his job, which was helpful. I realize that this might sound like sour grapes, but I am fairly certain that even if I had received an offer I would have declined. It seems like really boring and time-consuming work that does not make a positive contribution to the world at large.

Interview Question – One of the case studies concerned reorganizing a pharmaceutical sales staff, and essentially boiled down to how I would downsize the department.   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for ZS Associates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ZS Associates interview questions and advice in Chicago, IL. All 18 interview reviews posted anonymously by ZS Associates employees and interview candidates.