ZS Associates Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Jun 4, 2015

3.5

Business Process Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates (Evanston, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

I got contacted by the recruiter on LinkedIn. After basic screening I was scheduled for first round which consisted of Behavioral and Case study. Couple of days later I got an email saying that I am shortlisted for the onsite round. They flew me to Evanston for the Super day. The onsite round consisted of four back to back interviews. One Behavioral, One Analytical and Two Case interviews.
    The very next day I got an email saying that I have been shortlisted.

Business Analitics Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

First there is a brief screening interview. Then a first round interview with a case study component and a behavior interview component. The case study component is pretty basic, they asked questions like "What quantity should the company output" after giving a table of prices and predicted sales volumes. Final round is conducted on-site, a series of four sessions, one case, two behavioral, and on 'get to know what you'll be doing'. Again, the case interview wasn't particularly difficult, you do need to work fast. The behavioral interview is looking to see if you fit the consultant stereotype. Essentially ZS is just another consulting firm looking for just another consultant candidate.

Interview Questions

• Describe a group experience where you failed.   1 Answer

Consultant, Customer Insights Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at ZS Associates (Chicago, IL) in December 2014.

Interview

Did a phoner with Ashley Gaylord, an HR person. Thought it went very well. Wasn't longer than a half hour. Several follow up emails went without any response. So sick of HR people that can't give you common decency of responding to cordial emails asking what the status of jobs are. How hard is it to write "we've decided to go in another direction." It's a copy and paste!

Business Analytics Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates (Evanston, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

Two weeks after I submitted my application I was offered a first round interview by email.

First Interview (Phone Interview):
    It consisted of a 30 minute behavioral interview with one person. There were three standard questions and the rest of the time is left for you to ask questions. Then, there is a 30 minute case interview via a screen share application. I started a little late because it took a while to download the add-in. There are four slides with tables of data and some questions. I needed to have general knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry (common sense) and know about market share, sales force, revenue, gross margin etc. I was nervous about this part because of my engineering background. There is also a part you have to qualitatively look at data and explain your thought process for choosing one group over another. I actually calculated the wrong things, and the interviewer steered me back to the question I was supposed to answer. I was nervous that I was not following directions, but I was able to calculate the correct values. You should use Excel for the case.

HR called me two business days after the interview offering to fly me to the nearest office. They give feedback, and HR told me my interviewers really liked me.

Second Interview (Nearest Office):
    There were three other people being interviewed that day for the same position. First, we were greeted by the recruiter in the lobby. Everyone had interviews in a different order but with some of the same people. Every section of the interview was 40 minutes. I had a standard behavioral interview with a principal. Next, I had to prep a case, which was similar to the ones given in the first interview but more in depth. I was not able to finish it, but I think that was expected. Then, I discussed the case with a manager, which was supposed to be a mock discussion in a team meeting or at lunch with a client. After, I had a demo where a BAA showed me what a typical project was for someone in the position. I recommend being very attentive and asking intelligent questions because he asked specific questions to make sure I was smart and absorbing what he was talking about. Next, I had an analytical case interview with a principal. This is a standard business case interview, so I would definitely practice a lot beforehand. My question was about what would you think about when building a home improvement store in a metropolitan area. Then, I had lunch with a consultant and was given a tour of the office.
    Overall, the second interview was chaotic and unprofessional. They printed the wrong case, so it ruined the timing of everything else for everyone visiting that day. One of the interviewees had to prep in two different periods, which shortened her lunch. Someone was listed on my schedule to take me to lunch, so I was confused when a different person did. The person who took me to lunch was supposed to give me a tour of the office but didn't seem to know that. HR came out and realized what had happened, and someone they seemed to retrieve last minute gave me my tour. I had a lot of stuff because I brought homework to do at the hotel, and I am pretty sure someone said a snarky comment about how much stuff I had. Even if I was given an offer, I am not sure if I would have taken it because of this experience.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to do sales and marketing specifically?   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at ZS Associates (Evanston, IL).

Interview

Worst interview experience I've ever had. The recruiter contacted me regarding a position they had available in their Evanston office. She rescheduled our initial phone call four times and on the fifth attempt she simply did not call and I haven't heard from her since. I got the impression that she rescheduled several of them simply because she didn't want to stay late at work. Because I was working at the time, several of the calls were scheduled after 5pm (three of the attempts), and last minute she would apparently have to leave work for some reason and reschedule with me. One time she rescheduled because she said I hadn't sent her an updated resume, even though I did earlier that day and she responded to that email confirming that she had received it.

Mostly I just found the number of times she bailed on me to be unprofessional, and you can't do much worse than just not call for a scheduled phone interview like she did. I understand if she decided that I wasn't a good fit based on my resume or if they found a great candidate (one of the times she rescheduled it was because other candidates were going to be in the office that day), but all that takes is a short email saying thanks but no thanks. According to Glassdoor a lot of people seemed to have good experiences with this company and their interviews, so I'm hoping this is just a fluke. But for me, I unfortunately have nothing positive to say.

Business Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ZS Associates (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Missed the initial on-campus interview, so had a phone interview. Simple case questions and behavioral questions. On site, similar. Toughest part was walking through the case with the manager, make sure you go through your thinking process with them so they can steer you in the right direction. Don't try to impress them with buzz words, they'll see through it. Just be logical.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Associate Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates (Evanston, IL) in February 2014.

Interview

Very straight forward. It is split into two 30 minute interviews. The first is very behavioral (tell me about a time when...) and questions like Why ZS? The second portion is a case interview. The case is just a packet they hand you and say "go". Very simple math and they ask you to brainstorm a few ideas for recommendations.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at ZS Associates (Evanston, IL) in February 2014.

Interview

Round 1- One case interview and one behavioral interview. Interviews were conducted by managers and partners.
    Round 2- One case interview, one behavioral interview, and one written case presentation. The case and behavioral interview was conducted by partners. For the written case I was given a deck of about 30 slides and a problem statement. I had 45 minutes to go through the information and create a power-point presentation that presented my analysis and solutions. I then had a few minutes to present to two managers, followed by a questions.
    I interviewed on-campus for round 1 and in Evanston for round 2.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you worked in a team
      Tell me about a time you worked with a challenging person

Answer Question

Business Analytics Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates (Evanston, IL) in November 2013.

Interview

Straightforward and follow the format listed on their website:

First round behavioral+Case interview with 2 people (around 1 hour in total)

Final round Behavioral+Case+Analytics with 3 different people (prepare for 4-5 hours).

Case interview is position-specific. No general case questions (ex: profit went down 20%, why?). Expect simple calculations. Some knowledge of simple sales/marketing terminologies will be asset for non-business background applicants.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult analytically; for non-business background applicants, brush up on some simple industry and sales/marketing terms and calculations   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate, very good offer for starting position

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ZS Associates (Chicago, IL) in April 2013.

Interview

First interview was a phone interview, basically walking them through my resume, and was asked questions about my experience.

Second interview was a 30 minute technical assessment and a 30 minute behavioral.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions was to come up with an algorithm for finding the 5 most common words in a list.   Answer Question