ZS Associates Interview Questions

Updated Jun 27, 2015

3.5

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview

Applied through university, got a email to set up interview. Followed up to a technical interview. Lasted over a spam of two weeks. They require transcripts to be submitted in advance.

Interview Questions

• Please tell us about your background. Then a technical interview with screen sharing.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ZS Associates in June 2015.

Interview

1. Brief Screening Interview
    > This took forever. First a recruiter contacted me after I submitted an online application through my university job board. I scheduled a quick phone interview with her but she cancelled 5 minutes before and I never heard back from her after reaching out to her several times. I heard from another recruiter a month later that she's not with the company anymore- It was very annoying but another recruiter, who was not aware of this contacted me again a few weeks later and I scheduled the interview with her. Prior to the interview you need to submit your transcripts and during the interview you need to explain why you have low grades in certain classes.

2. Phone Behavioral/ Case Interview
    > After the initial screen, the recruiter reached out to me in about a week to schedule the phone interview with two separate people to do both Behavioral and Case (30mins each). My case interview was rescheduled so I had to do the case and behavioral on a separate day but I think most people do it back-to-back on one day. For the case interview, as many people mentioned, you use a screen sharing program to answer some questions. It was basic math - mostly and it's a phone interview so you can use the calculator if you need to. I thought I didn't do as well because I did mess up a little on calculations and I got lost a few times but the interviewer was nice and was really helpful throughout. Behavioral was also very basic questions. 30 minutes is not that long- In fact, I think my interviewer ended in 20 minutes and asked me if I had any questions. It was very casual and the interviewer was really nice.

3. Onsite Interview
    > I was contacted 2 weeks later that I am moving onto the next step. I thought I did very poorly on my phone interviews and it took so long for them to contact me so I never expected an onsite interview. I was invited to the nearest office and the interview consisted of 5 interviewers and a lunch break (?). In my case, two of the interviews were case- one was a written case where you are given 45 minutes to answer some questions and a consultant comes in and ask how I approached the problem and kind of tweaks the questions. I thought it was fun - the interviewer was really nice. I misinterpreted a question so my numbers were all wrong but I guess it doesn't really matter as long as you can explain and fix the problem quickly. Behavioral was answering rounds of questions that show how I would act in certain situations. One of the question was "Have you ever solved a problem in a unique way?" Lunch was fun. The Business Analyst who took me to lunch was very funny and nice. We had very interesting and casual talk during lunch and even though it was probably another interview that tested how I'd fit in with the culture, it was a nice, relaxing break for me. Then, there is a demo interview, where the interviewer presents an actual project that ZS has done in the past. I was taking mad notes on it because I thought I'd be tested on it at the end but the interviewer told me to relax and just listen. LOL I still paid attention and the interviewer asked me some questions like how would you go about this problem if you were working on this project? but nothing difficult. I really enjoyed the presentation and I asked tons of questions.
    Overall, the interviews were not that difficult as long as you prepared. The case interview is different from the other management consulting case interviews though. But as long as you prepare them, you will be fine because I think it's easier and more analytical than strategic.

I heard back the next day that the feedback was positive. But, I had to wait about 2 weeks until they gave me an offer after the reference check, which really stressed me out... This is the reason why I wanted to write this review. I was searching everything - I read every single review on glassdoor to find out how long reference checks take and if anyone has ever gotten rejected even after passing the final round. After a very stressful... and long long wait, I finally got a call! :)

Business Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview

Went through college career center to recruit, and consisted of two rounds (first being at the university, the second being on site at the office). My interviewers in both rounds were pleasant, engaging and I had an overall positive experience. The case was challenging as all case interviews are, but the interviewers are encouraging. Behavioral was nothing particularly out of the ordinary, though they ask several questions geared towards past experiences in team work, organization and analytics. The process was smooth and totaled 2-3 weeks, and they reached out to me within 1-2 days of my final round.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when something doesn't go according to plan?   Answer Question

Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates (Boston, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

Recruiter reached out on LinkedIn. First round consisted of 30 minute phone behavioral followed by a 30 minute phone/WebEx case. A couple days later invited to schedule in-person interview at nearest office. In-person was three hours of consecutive interviews. Behavioral, unstructured case relating to a current business problem and then a case where they put you in a room with a laptop and a number of printed documents and ask you to identify the problem, create a powerpoint and present the powerpoint to a panel acting as clients. HR is great at walking you through what to expect before hand and then what went great and not so great after each round of interviews. Some major metrics are: confidence, analytics, creativity, motivation, client management, team management

Interview Questions

• First round behavioral questions were mostly focused on management style (dealing with difficult subordinates, mentoring, etc). The interviewer presented a hypothetical situation then asked for an example from my experience that could relate to solving that situation.   Answer Question
    • First round case was choosing which market to play in for a pharma product. I have no pharma background, but didn't find it difficult. Interviewer shows you slides with charts and graphs then asks you to calculate the market size of different possible markets given that the population is 300M, x% suffer from symptoms, y% seek medical attention, etc.   1 Answer

Interview

Asked to meet at a Hotel in Cambridge. Small group of us were told about the case interview process and then one by one invited upstairs. Two interviews. One on background and behaviour, the other a case.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview

I was contacted within a week of providing my resume, even before I had filled out the second portion (cover letter, etc.). First, there was a phone screen consisting of resume-related questions. Second came a more substantive phone interview with the head of the qualitative marketing wing. The third and last part of the interview process occurred in the office and consisted of 3 separate interviews (prospective superior, prospective colleague, and a consultant, respectively). Every interviewer was respectful and the process was fairly easy and straightforward.

Word(s) to the wise: 1) This is not a stepping stone to transition to consulting, it's an opportunity to support superiors' qualitative market research. As such, 2) Do not equivocate when they ask if this fairly low-level position is THE only job for you. They want a notetaker who is capable of handling the logistics of scheduling qualitative market research for vendors--not a critical thinker who wants to engage in research and analysis on their own. I do not wish to cast a value judgment on those who are satisfied with such a highly circumscribed remit, but you should know what you are getting yourself into.

Interview Questions

• If a client was not operating within the necessary timeframe, how would you mitigate the problem? If you had an issue with a coworker who was not pulling their weight, or from whom you needed help, how would you ensure their cooperation?   1 Answer

Customer Insights Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates in April 2015.

Interview

Initial phone interview followed by a two part phone interview two weeks later. Two part interview consisted of a case interview and a behavioral interview. For the case interview be familiar with basic market analysis and brush up on math skills. The interviewer asks several quantitative and qualitative questions regarding the roll out of a new acne medication.

Interview Questions

• What is a situation you were faced with conflict on the job and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online, contacted by recruiter by email. First interview was behavioral, asking about knowledge of consulting and the company. Second interview consisted of one behavioral, another case. The case was difficult, lots of on-the-fly calculations. Final round was on-site and consisted of a behavioral interview, demo, a case presentation where they put you in a room with a lot of graphs and you make a presentation to a few consultants while asking questions. Finally, a nice lunch, and heard back a week later for the offer.

Interview Questions

• Why ZS, and what makes you suited for a job in consulting   Answer Question

Business Analyst Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

Interview

30 minutes phone interview, i was been told that it will be 30 minutes technical questions, however, it end up being asked behavior questions and I didn't even prepared behavior questions

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at ZS Associates in April 2015.

Interview

Began with a quick phone-screen (15-20), mostly to set up the first round interview.
    First round was split behavioral/case. Case interview was done in Webex, so download it ahead of time and make sure it works. Interviewer shows you slides but you do the explaining over the phone. When they say it "works best" in IE, that means it *only works* in Internet Explorer. Not sure how it would work for Macs. Case was pretty straightforward, some math; interviewer would point to where my numbers didn't match up and let me rework it. Think he was mostly looking to see that my thought process was in the right direction.
    Final round in the office a few days later, consisting of 1 written case, 1 regular case (market sizing question), 1 behavioral, 1 demo/presentation, and lunch. With the written case, they give you data charts with a couple questions to answer, leave you to work it out, then come back 30-40min later to go over the answers and ask you more questions. Interviewer was really nice and helped point me in the right direction when I was stuck. The demo was a brief overview of the work they do, but before explaining key parts, the presenter (interviewer?) first asked me "how would you go about doing this". Again, seemed like he wanted to see if we were thinking on the same wavelength.
    Everyone was really nice, more concerned about if you're smart and can think about things than specific skills. Overall it was a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• What was the most challenging or interesting thing you did at [plucked a past job from my resume]?   Answer Question
    • When have you taken a leadership role in a team?   Answer Question