ZS Associates

Updated Feb 20, 2015
Updated Feb 20, 2015

3.6

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ZS Associates.

The interview process was a 45 minute phone interview. The first part was behavioral but the majority of the time was spent on a case study. It was a market sizing question and then a market entry analysis case study. I never heard back from that interview which I found extremely inconsiderate.

Interview Questions
    • Asked very little about my resume and mostly focused on the case study.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates in February 2015.

I got contacted by the recruiter on LinkedIn. After basic screening I was scheduled for first round which consisted of Behavioral and Case study. Couple of days later I got an email saying that I am shortlisted for the onsite round. They flew me to Evanston for the Super day. The onsite round consisted of four back to back interviews. One Behavioral, One Analytical and Two Case interviews.
    The very next day I got an email saying that I have been shortlisted.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ZS Associates in February 2015.

The interview was held on campus and was broken up into a 30 minute behavioral interview and a 30 minute case. The behavioral interview was more of a conversation, and the interviewer seemed deeply interested in everything I had to say. The case interview was both qualitative and quantitative. I would suggest you practice mental math and percentages before you attempt to interview with ZS .

Business Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ZS Associates.

Applied for a job on Sept 17th for various locations and was chosen for the SF office interviews. Was approached by an HR person, who was very professional and friendly. Agreeing that I have the right background, she scheduled the first round of interviews for the first week of October. Following the schedule, I spent 30 min with a partner discussing team work and my approach to work related situations - behavioral interview. The business case interview was scheduled separately, in two weeks time, and I spent another 30 min solving an unstructured business case, estimating the patients pool for Myeloblastoma in the US. This is a typical market sizing exercise - pretty basic if you have experience in pharma/biotech forecasting/modeling. I have not had any feedback for weeks and decided that they will not pursue with my candidacy when, in a month, I received an invitation for the second, final rounds of interview, for which I gave my consent. Because I was interviewing for the San Mateo office, I assumed that they would fly me to the area but they decided to send me to NJ, although my location is Boston. I have been in contact with 3 admin assistants, trying to work out the details. Finally I received the agenda for the meeting but not in NJ, Princeton but in MA, Boston. This interview was scheduled for December, just right before Thanksgiving. It suppose to be one business case interview, one panel interview, and the behavioral interview with the partner. When I arrived to the office, they notified me that I am 45 min early. I showed my itineraries and they apologized, claiming that the admin in the NJ office forgot to send me the right time. The business case was pretty basic, unstructured; I had lots of fun, conversing with the Associate from the San Mateo office. The case was a pharma case, sizing the post - resectable breast cancer patients segment eligible for the reconstructive surgery. The second part was a panel interview estimating strategy for increasing the bottom line and assuring the steady growth of a wine pub chain in the UK. It was fun as well, lots of data but pretty basic and straight forward. The third part, the behavioral interview was canceled, and rescheduled for the following day. The partner from the NJ office called me and we discussed various difficult situation that consultants encounter with the clients. All in all, I had a good feeling about my performance. It has been almost 2 months and I have not heard anything from them. The whole process is taking almost 5 months and I am not sure if they ever would contact me back.

Interview Questions
    • Mathematical relation b/w incidence & prevalence?

Answer Question
    • What assumptions would be applicable when estimating the eligible pts for a procedure vs. diagnosed?   Answer Question
    • If the client is having difficulties to understand a certain concept, making it difficult to continue with the presentation. Your team has time constrains and you need to move on, what would be your actions?   Answer Question

Business Analytics Associate Interview

Applied through Campus - Three rounds - an initial online test, written case study and interview, followed by a behavioral interview. The case study was easy but long, had lots of charts and figures and one had to calculate certain things. The interview was good, one had to explain the case study results. The behavioral interview was mainly resume based.

Business Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ZS Associates.

My first interview was arranged through campus recruitment. It consisted of two parts: one 30-minute behavioral interview and one 30-minute case interview. The case interview is not the usual case interview, but they are tailored to truly seeing how you analytically think when given a problem. They truly do just want to see your thought process and see how you think. The second round was on-site and consisted of one behavioral interview, one case interview like the first interview, one pitch presentation/interview, and a demo of what they do.

Interview Questions
    • What would you consider as your typical role in a team, and what's the hardest part about it?   Answer Question

Business Associate Interview

I applied through the online application and the application (I believe it is hosted through Taleo) is very time-consuming and tedious to applicants. The entire process, even conducted relatively at a quick pace, still took over 3 hours. The online form requires information like PDF documents of academic transcripts and rather personal identifying information before the candidate even knows whether they will receive an interview. The form is counter-intuitive and often will make you go back and fill in weird boxes that are easily missed the first time around. ZS, per their posting on the UC Berkeley Callisto website, requires applicants to double-apply through both Callisto and the ZS main website. All-in-all, a rather discourteous way to treat applicants who won't even be notified that they did not even get in the door for an interview.

As a side note, the recruiter's informational session at UC Berkeley in February was somewhat generic and guarded-it seemed that the ZS staff there were doing it more as a formality and it did not give meaningful opportunities to network with firm staff or to get more genuine knowledge about the internal culture or operations of ZS.

Overall, I still hold interest in working in the consulting field in my future career plans, but I would consider it unlikely that I would ever apply to ZS Associates given this kind of treatment.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense, excluding minor drug violations (e.g. marijuana)?   View Answer

Business Analytics Associate Consultant Interview

The process is a series of interviews, I believe 3 or 4 in total, depending on whether they split one up or not. In the earlier stages is pretty much simple behavioral and case interview questions, but further down the line the case interviews are a bit more complex. Despite being known for being one of the toughest companies to interview for, I found that the interviewers were a lot more polite and helpful than many that I have encountered.

Interview Questions
    • The part of the case study that tripped me up had to do with pharmaceutical sales of a drug and the graph was a bit confusing, I think it was done intentionally. My first instinct was to ask whether information was missing, but it wasn't, the graph was just a bit weird.   Answer Question

Business Process Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at ZS Associates in October 2014.

Applied through employee referral for Senior Business Process Analyst with the Business Technology function. HR called to verify some operational details before scheduling the Case Interview and Behavioral Interview. Both last between 30mins to 45mins.

Case Interview: An Insurance company wanted to access the poor performance of one of its household plans. Needed a graph and table to be populated.
    1. 5 different tables were provided and asked to discuss on how the graph and table can be built from those 5 tables (joins, aggregation etc).
    2. What error checks and validations will be performed on that data to ensure data integrity?
    3. What other recommendations do you have for the team to gauge their insurance plan performance?

My Approach:
    1.Used excel to quickly project the 5 tables at one place
    2. Used joins and aggregation and count functions to arrive at the specific column values for the desired table
    3. provided error checks based on data types and unique field constraints
    4. was wrong for one of the columns where I didn't have to join two tables. Interviewer promptly corrected me and asked me to give a scenario where I might have to join those tables.

Behavioral Interview: After a quick self introduction from the interviewer, I was asked for examples on the below:
    1. give an example of a time when your motivation to learn resulted in better understanding of client and their requirements.
    2. Give an example when you had to push deadlines and how did you convince the client for the same.
    3. Give an example of how team work helped you and the project to succeed well.
    4. How will be go about eliciting requirements from a client who is very vague with what they want.

My Approach:
    1. My last project in finance team where I had no knowledge of finance operations and my motivation to learn about their business process helped them in identifying gaps in their business process and also in better visibility across cross-functional teams on what they were doing.
    2. Focus is on the Budget, Time and responsibility of ownership. Mentioned that we take care that budget is not over the limit during extension of deadlines, try to limit the time needed from business during this extended deadline and have clear ownership of responsibility for the cause of extension
    3. Spoke of a time when we had a 7 business day cycle for yearly-roll over projects and how involving IT team early on helped us in aligning the priorities and devising work-around for non-deliverable items due to the tight timeline.
    4. Focus on business process and where they are today and where they want to be, rather than looking at what client wants. A want is only a means of satisfying a need and getting to the true business need is more important than what they want.

Both Interviewers gave me an opportunity to ask questions about the company and their work:
    Below is what I asked:
    1. ZS Associates works with 18 of the top 20 pharma clients. How is client confidentiality ensured and is there a conflict of interest while dealing with competing clients? How is the knowledge repository built since details on client process cannot be a part of the documentation? What knowledge is shared between projects to help each other, yet protect the client sensitive data/process.
    2. 3 things why you continue to work at ZS?
    3. Support from ZS to new associates who don't have domain expertise. How are the trainings and employee development activities?
    4. The kind of projects that the technology division takes up and the duration of those. Also asked for details on being on multiple projects or single projects since Analytics division has employees on multiple projects at the same time.

Awaiting result on the First Round.

Interview Questions
    • An Insurance company wanted to access the poor performance of one of its household plans. Needed a graph and table to be populated.

Answer Question

Business Process Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates in December 2014.

Was reached through LinkedIn by recruiter who invited me to a phone screen. Did phone screen and was invited to phone interview with consultant and manager.. Two interviews of 30 min. each consisting of Case Question and a Behavioral one.

Interview Questions
    • The case consisted of a 5 minute walk-through of the case, 15 min of analysis as well as 5 of discussion with interviewer. Case consisted of an insurance co. facing a drop in sales across regions.. was asked to perform analysis of how to create analysis of co.'s performance through charts on sales, region and competition.   Answer Question