ZS Associates

Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at ZS Associates

Interview Details – Recruiting was done through the university career website. The first round interview consisted of twenty minutes of behavioral and fit questions. Then, you get switched to another interviewer for the case interview. Most people finish in about twenty or so minutes. If successful, you are called in for subsequent rounds at the company.

Interview Question – Nothing was difficult. Pretty standard fit questions, and the case interview was about a new drug and whether or not to take it to market.   Answer Question

Interviewed at ZS Associates

Interview Details – Questions based on the experience from your resume, many behavioral questions, such as: tell me about your experience to overcome a difficulty in a group, what's your weakness and strengthens.

Interview Question – no technical question   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Specialist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview Details – I applied for an enterprise postion. I had 3 interviews total...it was a little excessive. I spent 2 afternoons there doing interviews. I was impressed that I interviewed with a principal although I don't know if it was necessary.
I like that they have a case study that is very relevant to the work I do. I don't think it is necessary to bring work samples.

Interview Question – Case study   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Reasonable

Evanston, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ZS Associates in September 2010.

Interview Details – We interview in two rounds and focus on a multi-step business case to understand the ability of candidates to do our normal work. Many candidates are good at the case but say something dumb in the behavioral, e.g. one day I want to be a manager at a biotech, ZS will help me get there (should have said I want to be a consultant, I am interested in consulting).

Interview Question – One interviewer notoriously asks "Any questions?" And nothing else.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.

Business Analytics Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview Details – First round was a computer based test with basic math/english/logical reasoning questions. This was followed by a group discussion and then a case study. The final rounds were principal and behavioral interviews.

Interview Question – Related to the case study that was given. Need to spend time understanding it and thinking of all possible questions .   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since in my case it was a campus placement there was no negotiation.

Business Analytics Associate, Post-Bacc Interview

Business Analytics Associate, Post-Bacc
San Mateo, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ZS Associates in January 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruitment 9 months out of undergrad after (understandable) no response from on-campus recruiting. Went through pre-screening over the phone; seemed focused primarily on making sure I could start quickly and had no obvious red flags. Received phone interview schedule about a week later.

First round over the phone; consisted of a behavioral interview with a project manager and a case interview with a consultant. Behavioral interview questions seemed very standard. Case interview was as I stated above. I got an offer to use Excel (with the interviewer software-ing in to see my screen) but turned it down. That was a mistake;, accept it and use it as much as possible.
N.B.: Case was unexpected, but not hard. If it showed up in an MBB-type interview it would have been maybe 1/4-1/3 of a product launch case. Could easily be finished in 10 minutes with Excel and no panicking.

Second round consisted of lunch with an associate, behavioral interview (conventional questions), written case interview (40min work + 40min analysis with interviewers), presentation of BAA work, then a second case interview. The written case was deeper and harder than the one over the phone, but the same type of question. 4 parts, 3 very quantitative and the last slightly less so. I finished 3, which was above average. Walked through my analysis with the interviewers (recently-promoted from BAA) and then did Part 4 with them. The second case interview wasn't introduced that way on the itinerary and was just given as a very low-detail "Hey, think about this" question; the linear thinking skills from MBB-type practice WILL be necessary here, and frameworks might be useful.

No offer, credited (by them) to going scattered during the final step instead of approaching it the way I would an MBB-type case.

Interview Question – The verbal case question:
1) Let's say you're looking to open a clothing store. How would you figure out where to put it?
which later led to
2) You make a lot of money and someone asks to borrow $50k. How do you figure out if you'll give it to them?
  View Answer

Business Associate Intern Interview

Business Associate Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview Details – Applied and scheduled interview time through university's career website. Interview was split into the standard two portions: 1) behavioral and 2) case interview.

Lots of freedom to describe background in behavioral portion. No surprise questions.

Case interview was extremely straight forward—no tricks whatsoever.

Interview Question – Again, the behavioral and case were both straight forward. The hardest question was probably "tell me about your background."   Answer Question

BA Summer Intern Interview

BA Summer Intern
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ZS Associates in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through my university's job search engine.

My first round interview was on campus and it was two parts, one hour long. One part was a basic behavioral interview. Very straight forward - the interviewer will as for you to illustrate characteristics or qualities that are specifically important for consulting and working at ZS. Make sure you have good answers with experiences and stories to back them up (and make sure you prepare at least 2 stories deep for every common question, they may ask you "okay thats good, give me another example"). The other interview was the case interview, and ZS does it a little differently - they gave me worksheets that had their own information and objectives to solve. Once you complete one, you can move on to the next one. I really liked this because it gave you some direction and didn't just throw you in the water like traditional cases, but the tradeoff is, is that the cases are pretty difficult, and its important to not lose focus or get frustrated.

Second round is at the the closest office to your university (This does not mean you will work at that office for your internship, you have the option to choose any of the offices). The second round consisted of several rounds. First was a 45 minute behavioral - these questions are a lot more specific than the behavioral in the first round. Second round was the first case, and it was 45 mins of individual prep, and then a 45 min presentation and discussion with the interviewer. Next was another case interview, followed by a demonstrational interview, where they walk you through something similar to what you would be doing at ZS and ask you questions along the way to see how you think. Finally the last part was a lunch interview, where you ask them questions about the firm. Overall the second round was pretty exhausting, but it was a lot of fun.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to tell someone something they didn't want to hear?   Answer Question

Business Analytics Associate

I applied through college or university - interviewed at ZS Associates in March 2014.

Interview Details – I had my initial interview on campus, and then I traveled onsite for the final round interview. I applied for the position through my school's career services.

The first round was two 30 minute interviews -- one all about fit/behavioral questions, and the other purely quantitative/case-based.

The final round was basically a longer version of the first round. It was a half day of interviews -- one behavioral, two technical, and one Q&A session with a current consultant.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you did something that others perceived as immoral/unethical.   Answer Question

Business Associate Consultant Interview

Business Associate Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ZS Associates in March 2014.

Interview Details – First round interview was pretty simple, "tell me about yourself"

Second round: 30 min business case & 30 min behavioral

Worked for ZS Associates? Contribute to the Community!