ZS Associates

Getting the Interview

267 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Associate Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview Details – Applied and scheduled interview time through university's career website. Interview was split into the standard two portions: 1) behavioral and 2) case interview.

Lots of freedom to describe background in behavioral portion. No surprise questions.

Case interview was extremely straight forward—no tricks whatsoever.

Interview Question – Again, the behavioral and case were both straight forward. The hardest question was probably "tell me about your background."   Answer Question

Business Analytics Associate, Post-Bacc Interview

San Mateo, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ZS Associates in January 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruitment 9 months out of undergrad after (understandable) no response from on-campus recruiting. Went through pre-screening over the phone; seemed focused primarily on making sure I could start quickly and had no obvious red flags. Received phone interview schedule about a week later.

First round over the phone; consisted of a behavioral interview with a project manager and a case interview with a consultant. Behavioral interview questions seemed very standard. Case interview was as I stated above. I got an offer to use Excel (with the interviewer software-ing in to see my screen) but turned it down. That was a mistake;, accept it and use it as much as possible.
N.B.: Case was unexpected, but not hard. If it showed up in an MBB-type interview it would have been maybe 1/4-1/3 of a product launch case. Could easily be finished in 10 minutes with Excel and no panicking.

Second round consisted of lunch with an associate, behavioral interview (conventional questions), written case interview (40min work + 40min analysis with interviewers), presentation of BAA work, then a second case interview. The written case was deeper and harder than the one over the phone, but the same type of question. 4 parts, 3 very quantitative and the last slightly less so. I finished 3, which was above average. Walked through my analysis with the interviewers (recently-promoted from BAA) and then did Part 4 with them. The second case interview wasn't introduced that way on the itinerary and was just given as a very low-detail "Hey, think about this" question; the linear thinking skills from MBB-type practice WILL be necessary here, and frameworks might be useful.

No offer, credited (by them) to going scattered during the final step instead of approaching it the way I would an MBB-type case.

Interview Question – The verbal case question:
1) Let's say you're looking to open a clothing store. How would you figure out where to put it?
which later led to
2) You make a lot of money and someone asks to borrow $50k. How do you figure out if you'll give it to them?
  View Answer

BA Summer Intern Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ZS Associates in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through my university's job search engine.

My first round interview was on campus and it was two parts, one hour long. One part was a basic behavioral interview. Very straight forward - the interviewer will as for you to illustrate characteristics or qualities that are specifically important for consulting and working at ZS. Make sure you have good answers with experiences and stories to back them up (and make sure you prepare at least 2 stories deep for every common question, they may ask you "okay thats good, give me another example"). The other interview was the case interview, and ZS does it a little differently - they gave me worksheets that had their own information and objectives to solve. Once you complete one, you can move on to the next one. I really liked this because it gave you some direction and didn't just throw you in the water like traditional cases, but the tradeoff is, is that the cases are pretty difficult, and its important to not lose focus or get frustrated.

Second round is at the the closest office to your university (This does not mean you will work at that office for your internship, you have the option to choose any of the offices). The second round consisted of several rounds. First was a 45 minute behavioral - these questions are a lot more specific than the behavioral in the first round. Second round was the first case, and it was 45 mins of individual prep, and then a 45 min presentation and discussion with the interviewer. Next was another case interview, followed by a demonstrational interview, where they walk you through something similar to what you would be doing at ZS and ask you questions along the way to see how you think. Finally the last part was a lunch interview, where you ask them questions about the firm. Overall the second round was pretty exhausting, but it was a lot of fun.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to tell someone something they didn't want to hear?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Business Analytics Associate Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at ZS Associates in March 2014.

Interview Details – I had my initial interview on campus, and then I traveled onsite for the final round interview. I applied for the position through my school's career services.

The first round was two 30 minute interviews -- one all about fit/behavioral questions, and the other purely quantitative/case-based.

The final round was basically a longer version of the first round. It was a half day of interviews -- one behavioral, two technical, and one Q&A session with a current consultant.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you did something that others perceived as immoral/unethical.   Answer Question

Business Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ZS Associates in March 2014.

Interview Details – First round interview was pretty simple, "tell me about yourself"

Second round: 30 min business case & 30 min behavioral

Business Operations Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview Details – 3 week process

First round phone interview:
1. Case interview: interviewer walked through 8-10 slides, asking questions about the data/graphs on each slide on the way
2. Behavioral: typical interview questions

Final round office interview:
Five separate parts: demonstration, 2 cases, behavioral, lunch. Cases were harder than the phone interview and required 20 minutes of preparation

Interview Question – One of the cases was difficult in that not a lot of information was given (3-4 slides with little information).   Answer Question

Business Analytics Associate
San Mateo, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at ZS Associates in October 2013.

Interview Details – The first round was an on-campus interview with cases and behavioural questions. The final round was an on-site interview in which I met six interviewers in a row, from junior consultant to head of the office. Overall, it was a simple process. But some of the cases were tricky and made you deal with large numbers and statistics.

Interview Question – Cases dealing with massive amount of numbers and charts   Answer Question

Consulting Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at ZS Associates in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through campus recruiting site. Got an interview offer based on GPA. 45 minute case part where they give you a packet and a calculator and ask you to go the problems. 45 minute behavioral with pretty standard question.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected, typical case and behavioral interview   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Summer Associate

I applied through college or university and interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview Details – I applied through university and had an on campus interview. There were three interviewers. The first half hour was with 1 and the second half hour was with 2. Both asked multiple brainteasers, followed by a case.

Interview Question – The brainteasers were hard, one was about turning off and on lights.   Answer Question

Business Analytics Associate
San Mateo, CA

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview Details – On campus recruiting and final round interviews. There were a mix of behavioral and case interviews, as well as general analyst questions. Final rounds were hosted on site, lasting 5 hours and consisting of multiple interviews.

Interview Question – "What would you be most concerned about on your first day of work"   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at ZS Associates

Worked for ZS Associates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ZS Associates interview questions and advice. All 267 interview reviews posted anonymously by ZS Associates employees and interview candidates.