ZS Associates Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

3.6

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview

There were three rounds. First was telephonic screening with HR, second was telephonic behavioral interview and case interview with a manager. Final round in-person behavioral and case interview with manager and principal consultant. Interviewers were not punctual, made me wait for 40 mins. Case interview is the key to crack it.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in this role and do you think you are a good fit? What do you know about this position and ZS Associates? What are the key skills you think are needed to excel in this role?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at ZS Associates in July 2015.

Interview

It was a multiphase interview process. The first step was a phone screen interview with a HR associate. The next step was a 2 part process including a behavioral interview and a case study interview which was run through WebEx. Both parts were for 30 minutes each. The case study consisted of 4 activities which included some quantitative analysis. The final stage is another case study interview in person at the main office.

Interview Questions

• Paraphrased: Give an example of a time that you could not meet a deadline and how you handled that with the client.   Answer Question

Business Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I interviewed at ZS Associates (San Mateo, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

1. Phone screen with recruiter 2. 2 30 minute phone interviews with Associate Principal and consultant (1 behavioral, 1 case study) 3. Final onsite interview- 4 interviews (30 minute behavioral with Principal, 40 minute Analytic with Manager, 40 minute demo of project work with Consultant, 40 minute case with 40 minutes of prep) Not a typical case study interview, difficult to prepare for, just need to be smart and think on your feet.

Interview Questions

• How would your past experiences help you in this role?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ZS Associates in June 2015.

Interview

1. Brief Screening Interview > This took forever. First a recruiter contacted me after I submitted an online application through my university job board. I scheduled a quick phone interview with her but she cancelled 5 minutes before and I never heard back from her after reaching out to her several times. I heard from another recruiter a month later that she's not with the company anymore- It was very annoying but another recruiter, who was not aware of this contacted me again a few weeks later and I scheduled the interview with her. Prior to the interview you need to submit your transcripts and during the interview you need to explain why you have low grades in certain classes. 2. Phone Behavioral/ Case Interview > After the initial screen, the recruiter reached out to me in about a week to schedule the phone interview with two separate people to do both Behavioral and Case (30mins each). My case interview was rescheduled so I had to do the case and behavioral on a separate day but I think most people do it back-to-back on one day. For the case interview, as many people mentioned, you use a screen sharing program to answer some questions. It was basic math - mostly and it's a phone interview so you can use the calculator if you need to. I thought I didn't do as well because I did mess up a little on calculations and I got lost a few times but the interviewer was nice and was really helpful throughout. Behavioral was also very basic questions. 30 minutes is not that long- In fact, I think my interviewer ended in 20 minutes and asked me if I had any questions. It was very casual and the interviewer was really nice. 3. Onsite Interview > I was contacted 2 weeks later that I am moving onto the next step. I thought I did very poorly on my phone interviews and it took so long for them to contact me so I never expected an onsite interview. I was invited to the nearest office and the interview consisted of 5 interviewers and a lunch break (?). In my case, two of the interviews were case- one was a written case where you are given 45 minutes to answer some questions and a consultant comes in and ask how I approached the problem and kind of tweaks the questions. I thought it was fun - the interviewer was really nice. I misinterpreted a question so my numbers were all wrong but I guess it doesn't really matter as long as you can explain and fix the problem quickly. Behavioral was answering rounds of questions that show how I would act in certain situations. One of the question was "Have you ever solved a problem in a unique way?" Lunch was fun. The Business Analyst who took me to lunch was very funny and nice. We had very interesting and casual talk during lunch and even though it was probably another interview that tested how I'd fit in with the culture, it was a nice, relaxing break for me. Then, there is a demo interview, where the interviewer presents an actual project that ZS has done in the past. I was taking mad notes on it because I thought I'd be tested on it at the end but the interviewer told me to relax and just listen. LOL I still paid attention and the interviewer asked me some questions like how would you go about this problem if you were working on this project? but nothing difficult. I really enjoyed the presentation and I asked tons of questions. Overall, the interviews were not that difficult as long as you prepared. The case interview is different from the other management consulting case interviews though. But as long as you prepare them, you will be fine because I think it's easier and more analytical than strategic. I heard back the next day that the feedback was positive. But, I had to wait about 2 weeks until they gave me an offer after the reference check, which really stressed me out... This is the reason why I wanted to write this review. I was searching everything - I read every single review on glassdoor to find out how long reference checks take and if anyone has ever gotten rejected even after passing the final round. After a very stressful... and long long wait, I finally got a call! :)

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview

Applied through university, got a email to set up interview. Followed up to a technical interview. Lasted over a spam of two weeks. They require transcripts to be submitted in advance.

Interview Questions

• Please tell us about your background. Then a technical interview with screen sharing.   Answer Question

Business Operations Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at ZS Associates in June 2015.

Interview

Interview #1: Behavioral (Phone) Asked questions regarding your experience, how you worked in teams, how you managed working with difficult co-workers. Very interested in how you collected and filtered data. This position is about Business Intelligence. Interview #2: Case Study (Phone / Screen Share) Showed a brief powerpoint regarding a make belief business situation. First slide was a data set that you were asked to point out trends, errors, etc. Next was a slide regarding a process flow diagram he asked that I choose which parts were not necessary to calculate market share. Next slide had some data regarding two quarters you were asked to compare and contrast the two graphs (even though they are different data they cover some of the same time frame). Key is to show you understand how to break apart data and analyze it for validity and trends. Also be ready to ask intelligent questions and dig into what drives the company. This is part one. I will post the second at a later date. (I am an industry professional 1 yr / recent graduate).

Interview Questions

• How would you setup a system that has data entered manually to have less errors.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ZS Associates in June 2015.

Interview

Was contacted about a month after submitting application online. Set up behavioral interview, with HR calling 45 minutes late. Was told I would hear back by the end of the week but heard back 3.5 weeks later to set up first round interview. Both interviewers called late and case interviewer didn't seem to be familiar with the WebEx system. Overall, wasn't impressed by the interviewers nor how they handled themselves in terms of communication/followup. Was contacted several days later that the team decided to not move forward, just as well as the feeling is mutual.

Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ZS Associates (Boston, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

Recruiter reached out on LinkedIn. First round consisted of 30 minute phone behavioral followed by a 30 minute phone/WebEx case. A couple days later invited to schedule in-person interview at nearest office. In-person was three hours of consecutive interviews. Behavioral, unstructured case relating to a current business problem and then a case where they put you in a room with a laptop and a number of printed documents and ask you to identify the problem, create a powerpoint and present the powerpoint to a panel acting as clients. HR is great at walking you through what to expect before hand and then what went great and not so great after each round of interviews. Some major metrics are: confidence, analytics, creativity, motivation, client management, team management

Interview Questions

• First round behavioral questions were mostly focused on management style (dealing with difficult subordinates, mentoring, etc). The interviewer presented a hypothetical situation then asked for an example from my experience that could relate to solving that situation.   Answer Question
    • First round case was choosing which market to play in for a pharma product. I have no pharma background, but didn't find it difficult. Interviewer shows you slides with charts and graphs then asks you to calculate the market size of different possible markets given that the population is 300M, x% suffer from symptoms, y% seek medical attention, etc.   1 Answer

Business Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview

Went through college career center to recruit, and consisted of two rounds (first being at the university, the second being on site at the office). My interviewers in both rounds were pleasant, engaging and I had an overall positive experience. The case was challenging as all case interviews are, but the interviewers are encouraging. Behavioral was nothing particularly out of the ordinary, though they ask several questions geared towards past experiences in team work, organization and analytics. The process was smooth and totaled 2-3 weeks, and they reached out to me within 1-2 days of my final round.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when something doesn't go according to plan?   Answer Question

Interview

Asked to meet at a Hotel in Cambridge. Small group of us were told about the case interview process and then one by one invited upstairs. Two interviews. One on background and behaviour, the other a case.