ZS Associates Interview Questions

Updated Oct 17, 2014
Updated Oct 17, 2014

3.6

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates.

On-campus recruiting. First round: 1 behavioral, 1 case. Final round: pretty much all day, 3-4 cases and lunch with someone from the firm. Final round was rigorous, but lunch was a great way to introduce candidates to the firm.

Interview Questions
    • I was left in a room with bunch of data/graphs and was asked to make a recommendation presentation at the end.   Answer Question

Business Analytics Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ZS Associates.

Had first round interview on campus. Interview was 30 minutes case, 30 minutes behavioral. Had a different interviewer for each part of the interview. Case was a little tricky and I was not quite prepared for all the math I had to do, but overall fair and not excessively difficult. Behavioral was really straightforward and felt like more of a conversation than a job interview. Both Interviewers were very friendly and helpful.

Business Analytics Associate Interview

I applied online and got contacted a few days later by HR for a brief phone screening, which was simple and straightforward; it just goes through your qualifications and preferences. Shortly thereafter, I got contacted for a two-part phone interview, the first part case and the second part behavioral, with each part lasting half an hour.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when a group project went badly and what you would have done differently looking back at it.   Answer Question

Business Analytics Associate Interview

I applied online and had a first-round phone interview within two weeks. The first half was a case interview, consisting of both quantitative and qualitative questions. For the quantitative questions, I recommend using an excel spreadsheet rather than a calculator. The math was fairly easy and straightforward (all numbers were given). The second half was a behavioral interview. The questions were all standard. Waiting to have second-round interview.

Interview Questions
    • Evaluate pros/cons of various marketing techniques used by pharma sales reps on oncologists (ie: publishing in a reputable journal, blogging online, presenting at a conference)   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at ZS Associates.

Worst interview experience I've ever had. The recruiter contacted me regarding a position they had available in their Evanston office. She rescheduled our initial phone call four times and on the fifth attempt she simply did not call and I haven't heard from her since. I got the impression that she rescheduled several of them simply because she didn't want to stay late at work. Because I was working at the time, several of the calls were scheduled after 5pm (three of the attempts), and last minute she would apparently have to leave work for some reason and reschedule with me. One time she rescheduled because she said I hadn't sent her an updated resume, even though I did earlier that day and she responded to that email confirming that she had received it.

Mostly I just found the number of times she bailed on me to be unprofessional, and you can't do much worse than just not call for a scheduled phone interview like she did. I understand if she decided that I wasn't a good fit based on my resume or if they found a great candidate (one of the times she rescheduled it was because other candidates were going to be in the office that day), but all that takes is a short email saying thanks but no thanks. According to Glassdoor a lot of people seemed to have good experiences with this company and their interviews, so I'm hoping this is just a fluke. But for me, I unfortunately have nothing positive to say.

Business Process Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at ZS Associates in October 2014.

Applied through employee referral for Senior Business Process Analyst with the Business Technology function. HR called to verify some operational details before scheduling the Case Interview and Behavioral Interview. Both last between 30mins to 45mins.

Case Interview: An Insurance company wanted to access the poor performance of one of its household plans. Needed a graph and table to be populated.
    1. 5 different tables were provided and asked to discuss on how the graph and table can be built from those 5 tables (joins, aggregation etc).
    2. What error checks and validations will be performed on that data to ensure data integrity?
    3. What other recommendations do you have for the team to gauge their insurance plan performance?

My Approach:
    1.Used excel to quickly project the 5 tables at one place
    2. Used joins and aggregation and count functions to arrive at the specific column values for the desired table
    3. provided error checks based on data types and unique field constraints
    4. was wrong for one of the columns where I didn't have to join two tables. Interviewer promptly corrected me and asked me to give a scenario where I might have to join those tables.

Behavioral Interview: After a quick self introduction from the interviewer, I was asked for examples on the below:
    1. give an example of a time when your motivation to learn resulted in better understanding of client and their requirements.
    2. Give an example when you had to push deadlines and how did you convince the client for the same.
    3. Give an example of how team work helped you and the project to succeed well.
    4. How will be go about eliciting requirements from a client who is very vague with what they want.

My Approach:
    1. My last project in finance team where I had no knowledge of finance operations and my motivation to learn about their business process helped them in identifying gaps in their business process and also in better visibility across cross-functional teams on what they were doing.
    2. Focus is on the Budget, Time and responsibility of ownership. Mentioned that we take care that budget is not over the limit during extension of deadlines, try to limit the time needed from business during this extended deadline and have clear ownership of responsibility for the cause of extension
    3. Spoke of a time when we had a 7 business day cycle for yearly-roll over projects and how involving IT team early on helped us in aligning the priorities and devising work-around for non-deliverable items due to the tight timeline.
    4. Focus on business process and where they are today and where they want to be, rather than looking at what client wants. A want is only a means of satisfying a need and getting to the true business need is more important than what they want.

Both Interviewers gave me an opportunity to ask questions about the company and their work:
    Below is what I asked:
    1. ZS Associates works with 18 of the top 20 pharma clients. How is client confidentiality ensured and is there a conflict of interest while dealing with competing clients? How is the knowledge repository built since details on client process cannot be a part of the documentation? What knowledge is shared between projects to help each other, yet protect the client sensitive data/process.
    2. 3 things why you continue to work at ZS?
    3. Support from ZS to new associates who don't have domain expertise. How are the trainings and employee development activities?
    4. The kind of projects that the technology division takes up and the duration of those. Also asked for details on being on multiple projects or single projects since Analytics division has employees on multiple projects at the same time.

Awaiting result on the First Round.

Interview Questions
    • An Insurance company wanted to access the poor performance of one of its household plans. Needed a graph and table to be populated.
        Answer Question

Associate Interview

I got an interview opportunity through internal referral. One phone interview and on-site interview in the following week. On the phone interview HR asked basic questions, behavioral & typical. In the on-site interview I was asked some questions like guessing

Interview Questions
    • They showed me an excel sheet and ask to find some error?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates in September 2014.

I applied online and recieved an email asking when I would be able to have a phone interview. It was with HR and they went over my resume, clarifying different points. They said they would contact me within a week, but it took them two weeks. They scheduled two back-to-back interviews with me, the first being technical and the second behavioral. In the technical interview they showed me data for different companies and asked me to find patterns. Have a pen and paper ready to come up with simple algebraic formulas and have a calculator handy. The difficulty was easy/medium. The behavioral interview had questions like "describe a time when you worked as part of a team and failed to meet a deadline. What did you do?". All questions were asking to describe negative experiences from the past, and how I handled them.

Interview Questions
    • Here are different marketing strategies and how much it costs to execute them. Which one would you choose and why?   View Answer

Business Analytics Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates.

Applied on the website and heard back shortly for a phone interview. Phone interview was half case and half behavioral. After phone interview, later that day was invited for final round interview in office. Final round interview was 5 hours long and consisted of 4 1:1 meetings and lunch. One meeting was behavioral, one was a what to expect presentation, and two were case related.

Interview Questions
    • Cases were straightforward as long as you took your time and thought logically.   Answer Question

Business Operations Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ZS Associates in August 2014.

TOTAL 5 ROUNDS
    1 Written test (online) conducted by amcat
    2 Case study
    3 Behaviour interview
    4 Case interview
    5 HR interview.totally 250 students wrote the test.52 cleared the written test and finally 8 got the offers.