ZS Associates

Updated Dec 19, 2014
Updated Dec 19, 2014

3.6

Business Analytics Associate Consultant Interview

The process is a series of interviews, I believe 3 or 4 in total, depending on whether they split one up or not. In the earlier stages is pretty much simple behavioral and case interview questions, but further down the line the case interviews are a bit more complex. Despite being known for being one of the toughest companies to interview for, I found that the interviewers were a lot more polite and helpful than many that I have encountered.

Interview Questions
    • The part of the case study that tripped me up had to do with pharmaceutical sales of a drug and the graph was a bit confusing, I think it was done intentionally. My first instinct was to ask whether information was missing, but it wasn't, the graph was just a bit weird.   Answer Question

Business Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at ZS Associates.

The interview is very detailed. It consists of two cases, a behavioral interview with an executive and an interview where you meet with someone on a peer level. You aren't allowed to use a calculator and don't have a lot of time on one of the cases to read through everything and prepare and present to one of the Managers that runs consulting.

General Analytics Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates.

They were very detailed about scheduling and when they would get back to you. Big plus in my book. The interviewers were very friendly and willing to answer any questions you might have. However, when they say they are recruiting engineers, you really need to have a business background or it will not work out.

Interview Questions
    • The hardest question was the case study in which you had to do a lot of math computations. Overall it wasnt that hard, you just need a little bit of a business background.   Answer Question

Business Process Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at ZS Associates in October 2014.

Applied through employee referral for Senior Business Process Analyst with the Business Technology function. HR called to verify some operational details before scheduling the Case Interview and Behavioral Interview. Both last between 30mins to 45mins.

Case Interview: An Insurance company wanted to access the poor performance of one of its household plans. Needed a graph and table to be populated.
    1. 5 different tables were provided and asked to discuss on how the graph and table can be built from those 5 tables (joins, aggregation etc).
    2. What error checks and validations will be performed on that data to ensure data integrity?
    3. What other recommendations do you have for the team to gauge their insurance plan performance?

My Approach:
    1.Used excel to quickly project the 5 tables at one place
    2. Used joins and aggregation and count functions to arrive at the specific column values for the desired table
    3. provided error checks based on data types and unique field constraints
    4. was wrong for one of the columns where I didn't have to join two tables. Interviewer promptly corrected me and asked me to give a scenario where I might have to join those tables.

Behavioral Interview: After a quick self introduction from the interviewer, I was asked for examples on the below:
    1. give an example of a time when your motivation to learn resulted in better understanding of client and their requirements.
    2. Give an example when you had to push deadlines and how did you convince the client for the same.
    3. Give an example of how team work helped you and the project to succeed well.
    4. How will be go about eliciting requirements from a client who is very vague with what they want.

My Approach:
    1. My last project in finance team where I had no knowledge of finance operations and my motivation to learn about their business process helped them in identifying gaps in their business process and also in better visibility across cross-functional teams on what they were doing.
    2. Focus is on the Budget, Time and responsibility of ownership. Mentioned that we take care that budget is not over the limit during extension of deadlines, try to limit the time needed from business during this extended deadline and have clear ownership of responsibility for the cause of extension
    3. Spoke of a time when we had a 7 business day cycle for yearly-roll over projects and how involving IT team early on helped us in aligning the priorities and devising work-around for non-deliverable items due to the tight timeline.
    4. Focus on business process and where they are today and where they want to be, rather than looking at what client wants. A want is only a means of satisfying a need and getting to the true business need is more important than what they want.

Both Interviewers gave me an opportunity to ask questions about the company and their work:
    Below is what I asked:
    1. ZS Associates works with 18 of the top 20 pharma clients. How is client confidentiality ensured and is there a conflict of interest while dealing with competing clients? How is the knowledge repository built since details on client process cannot be a part of the documentation? What knowledge is shared between projects to help each other, yet protect the client sensitive data/process.
    2. 3 things why you continue to work at ZS?
    3. Support from ZS to new associates who don't have domain expertise. How are the trainings and employee development activities?
    4. The kind of projects that the technology division takes up and the duration of those. Also asked for details on being on multiple projects or single projects since Analytics division has employees on multiple projects at the same time.

Awaiting result on the First Round.

Interview Questions
    • An Insurance company wanted to access the poor performance of one of its household plans. Needed a graph and table to be populated.

Answer Question

Intern Interview

I received a phone call to set up a time for an initial interview. While I offered to come in, the procedure dictated that the first interview be conducted over the phone, with a screen sharing program to relay information pertaining to the case (the basis of the interview).

Interview Questions
    • The case was pretty straight forward, and my impression was that the interviewer was trying to gain an impression of general math skills. The most awkward part of the interview however, was using the screen share to conduct a case interview.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

The interview consisted of a 30 minute quantitative case study. Followed by a 30 minute qualitative case study. The interviewers were friendly but definitely wanted direct and accurate answers to the questions being asked.

Interview Questions
    • The quantitative question involved market sizing and expected growth. Study basic case study questions and you will be able to tackle them. The qualitative questions definitely rely a lot on talking about previous experiences.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates.

On-campus recruiting. First round: 1 behavioral, 1 case. Final round: pretty much all day, 3-4 cases and lunch with someone from the firm. Final round was rigorous, but lunch was a great way to introduce candidates to the firm.

Interview Questions
    • I was left in a room with bunch of data/graphs and was asked to make a recommendation presentation at the end.   Answer Question

Business Analytics Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ZS Associates.

Had first round interview on campus. Interview was 30 minutes case, 30 minutes behavioral. Had a different interviewer for each part of the interview. Case was a little tricky and I was not quite prepared for all the math I had to do, but overall fair and not excessively difficult. Behavioral was really straightforward and felt like more of a conversation than a job interview. Both Interviewers were very friendly and helpful.

Business Analytics Associate Interview

I applied online and got contacted a few days later by HR for a brief phone screening, which was simple and straightforward; it just goes through your qualifications and preferences. Shortly thereafter, I got contacted for a two-part phone interview, the first part case and the second part behavioral, with each part lasting half an hour.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when a group project went badly and what you would have done differently looking back at it.   Answer Question

Business Analytics Associate Interview

I applied online and had a first-round phone interview within two weeks. The first half was a case interview, consisting of both quantitative and qualitative questions. For the quantitative questions, I recommend using an excel spreadsheet rather than a calculator. The math was fairly easy and straightforward (all numbers were given). The second half was a behavioral interview. The questions were all standard. Waiting to have second-round interview.

Interview Questions
    • Evaluate pros/cons of various marketing techniques used by pharma sales reps on oncologists (ie: publishing in a reputable journal, blogging online, presenting at a conference)   Answer Question