ZS Associates

Relevance Date Difficulty

Operations Research Analyst Interview

Operations Research Analyst
Princeton, NJ

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ZS Associates in September 2009.

Interview Details – Interview was tough, no question about it. But also doable. Have confidence in yourself even if you don't know how to answer a question, think aloud and work through the problem verbally. Don't let your guard down, you are always being interviewed while you are there. Process was one campus interview, followed by an on site interview. Campus interview had 2 parts, behavioral and case. On site was a round robin of ~6 sessions.

Interview Question – How many barbers would you estimate are in the city of Philadelphia and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.

BT Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview Details – Ok

Interview Question – How would you build an operational amplifier using only diodes?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Standard pricing

Business Analytics Associate Interview

Business Analytics Associate
Evanston, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ZS Associates in June 2011.

Interview Details – Two interviews in the process. One is by phone, and is done in two parts. The first part is a standard interview (about your education, experience, etc), and the second part consists of a small case study, followed by a discussion of your answers and thought process. the second interview is a day long interview done in the office. You will meet with people at each level (associate, consultant, etc), and it is a similar experience to the phone interview (a mix of typical interviews with case studies thrown in). At this point there is also a written case study.

Interview Question – How do you choose between two locations to place a new store   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. I was given a contract and accepted

Business Analytics Associate Interview

Business Analytics Associate
San Mateo, CA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview Details – I have to say this is the most unprofessional interview experience I have ever had.

I applied this position online, and the recruiter emailed me to schedule a phone interview a week after I applied. The interview is supposed to be two parts: behavioral questions and case interview. On the scheduled day, the recruiter told me the hiring manager had some emergency, so the first part is canceled. But I still had the case interview. I waited for around 20 minutes after the scheduled time. Someone finally called me, saying that he didn't have time to do the case interview with me.

So the next day, the recruiter contacted me again to schedule for another phone interview. I waited for 30 minutes. Again, the guy didn't call me to do the case interview, and there was no explanation at all. Luckily, the hiring manager called me this time. He asked many behavioral questions, but you can find those questions online if you have done your research. Then the next week, the recruiter called me, saying that they would not continue the interview process.
I just lost my interest in this company. Please show some respect to other people. It is not fun to waste people's time, and I won't enjoy working in such team any way.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you failed to meet expectations   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Business Associate Interview

Business Associate
San Mateo, CA

I applied online and the process took 7 months - interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview Details – Applied through their online site in October. Got a callback in March.
I was not impressed with firm itself. I had another job deadline and HR would not help expedite the process.
Interview consisted of a case study on WebEx, which did not work the first time. Case study involves lots of number crunching on the fly.
All in all, the process was very unprofessional.

Interview Question – Identify maximum profit point.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ZS Associates in March 2009.

Interview Details – Met the company through campus recruiting. Their recruiting team is very professional, and they after a campus interview I was invited to the on-site interview. I had lunch with one of the employees and had a chance to get to know about their work. On site interview included meeting with a variety of managers and associates, some doing the case interviews, some doing a company fit conversations.

Interview Question – One manager did a stress interview.   Answer Question

Operations Delivery Associate Interview

Evanston, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at ZS Associates in January 2013.

Interview Details – At first I got an email from HR asking me to set up a phone interview. It was very simple and quick, basically just a little about myself and learning about the position. About a month later, they contacted me to set up a follow up phone interview. This was about an hour, split into two parts, a half hour case study (They emailed the materials for it at the start of the interview) and a half hour behavioral portion. A month after that I got a phone call from HR saying that they decided to not hire at all for the position after all.

Interview Question – In what ways have you made a process more efficient/streamlined?   Answer Question

Business Technology Associate Interview

Business Technology Associate
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview Details – 1st round - HR -> 30mins- Very genuine and straight forward questions about resume, work experience and brief discussion on BTA role/interview process. Amazing HR.

2nd round- Case study -> 45mins- Interviewer gave a case study on sales data ( DB questions- indexing, characterizing etc). they are very concerned about wrapping up the interview in exact 30mins. Amazing interviewer

3rd round- Behavioral interview -> Interviewer had an heavy accent, and was so nervous that interviewer literally stammered while asking questions. It made me so uncomfortable, and sort of threw me off. It did not go well. When I finished talking or stopped to see if we were on same page, there were awkward silences. It was so weird. Worst behavioral interviewer ever! I have done well in all my behavioral interviews including McKinsey. Interviewer asked me basic quests like tell me abt ur leadership skills, talk abt team work, how do u manage a project downtime, etc. Again, interviewer cut off exactly at 29:59 mins (LOL). I saw it on my phone. BTW- this interviewer also checked my linked profile ;)

I did not make it to the 4th round cuz of what I believe the behavioral interview, although, the HR said I needed more technical skills. I did excellent in my technical interview and answered all questions correctly. The 2nd round interviewer was so happy with me.

Interview Question – none- just the behavioral interviewer was weird.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at ZS Associates.

Interview Details – Step 1: Phone interview: 1 hour, 30 minutes technical/30 minutes behavioral. Technical question was: Given a list of words, find the 5 most frequently occurring words. Write pseudocode. The interviewer gave me the question, then hung up and called me back 10 minutes later to discuss my solution. We discussed the runtime complexity, data structures used and their effect on performance, what would happen if solution was modified in such -and-such way, etc.
Behavioral: Basically just asked a bunch of questions. What was your biggest project, what role did you play in this project, what are some difficulties you encountered and how did you solve them, did you ever have problems with team members, etc. Basic behavioral questions. Then was allowed to ask questions. Was told that they would get back to me in a week. I heard back from them to schedule an on-site in Evanston.

On-site: Arrived a bit early, was given a folder with info on the company, benefits, brochures, and other miscellaneous things.

When the time to start the interview arrived, I was escorted downstairs for a demo with one of the software development team members. They went over the various technologies they use and what products they are making. This lasted around 20-30 minutes. At the end there was some time to ask questions.

Then I was taken to a conference room and given a packet with 3 software engineering problems and told to do two of them. I was given 45 minutes alone to work on them. The first problem was: Create classes to implement windows and visible regions of overlapping windows. The second problem was algorithmic: Given a grid of black and white cells, find the biggest connected black square. The third was related to database models; I believe it was to create an E-R diagram for some business. I decided to do the first two; however, the first question was actually a bit vague, and the instructions I was given were confusing, even when I asked questions. It turned out to be more of an algorithmic question of finding out if some region is visible, instead of just creating class structures. Because of this I did poorly on the first problem. The second, I was able to develop a pretty good algorithm for. After the 45 minutes is up, a manager comes in to discuss your solutions with you, and you have a chance to ask questions.

I then met with the department manager for a behavioral round. This guy seemed like he wasn't enjoying the interview at all, like it was a huge chore for him. However, I answered the questions as best I could. At the end there was a chance to ask questions.

After this, I went out to lunch with another member of the software team. We had a nice conversation while eating sushi. After lunch, we headed back to the office for wrap up where I was told I would hear back in a week if they were interested. Didn't hear back though.

Interview Question – See the above questions, I included most of them   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Princeton, NJ

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at ZS Associates in April 2013.

Interview Details – I interviewed with 2 individuals, one was a manager, the other was a principal. The principal interview went good. My first interview was with the manager. He was the one that presented me with the case. He had 3 problems
1) He had a very heavy accent, which made it hard to follow his thought process
2) He became upset after a while, at least that's what I felt
3) He refused to offer any help in the case, so when I answered the first part correct he wanted more of an answer in his head. When I couldn't reach his same conclusion things just went downhill after that.

Another thing that deeply bothered me was that I was promised to interview with someone else, and I found out on site that they changed my schedule.

Interview Question – The case was structured, which threw me off especially since I had an interviewer that had a terribly heavy accent.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at ZS Associates