ZS Associates Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014
Updated Oct 16, 2014

3.6

Business Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates in October 2013.

I first found out about ZS Associates from my university career website. I applied online and was granted an on campus interview. The interview lasted one hour, with one half hour case interview and one half hour behavioral. The case was very analytical and high stress, I was constantly on my toes, and the behavioral was very general.
    I was then invited to headquarters for a final round. It included a lunch, project demonstration, behavioral interview, case interview, and analytical case. The analytical case you are given 45 minutes to prepare a case and then you present it. I would just say make sure you prioritize what is important because you will be rushed. The rest I would just say pay attention and ask good questions that show you are interested.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you came up with a creative way of doing things. Tell me about a life goal and how you reached/are trying to reach it   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate as I was happy with the salary. I chose ZS because of its dedication to professional development

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates in October 2013.

Campus Interview with case and experience interview. Case was interviewer led.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time in which you changed the culture within an organization.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ZS Associates in October 2013.

The first round was an on-campus interview with cases and behavioural questions. The final round was an on-site interview in which I met six interviewers in a row, from junior consultant to head of the office. Overall, it was a simple process. But some of the cases were tricky and made you deal with large numbers and statistics.

Interview Questions
    • Cases dealing with massive amount of numbers and charts   Answer Question

BT Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at ZS Associates.

Ok

Interview Questions
    • How would you build an operational amplifier using only diodes?   View Answer
    Standard pricing

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ZS Associates.

I have to say this is the most unprofessional interview experience I have ever had.

I applied this position online, and the recruiter emailed me to schedule a phone interview a week after I applied. The interview is supposed to be two parts: behavioral questions and case interview. On the scheduled day, the recruiter told me the hiring manager had some emergency, so the first part is canceled. But I still had the case interview. I waited for around 20 minutes after the scheduled time. Someone finally called me, saying that he didn't have time to do the case interview with me.

So the next day, the recruiter contacted me again to schedule for another phone interview. I waited for 30 minutes. Again, the guy didn't call me to do the case interview, and there was no explanation at all. Luckily, the hiring manager called me this time. He asked many behavioral questions, but you can find those questions online if you have done your research. Then the next week, the recruiter called me, saying that they would not continue the interview process.
    I just lost my interest in this company. Please show some respect to other people. It is not fun to waste people's time, and I won't enjoy working in such team any way.

Business Analytics Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates in June 2013.

Behavioral and short case phone interview
    Half day onsite interview where you meet with 4-5 people at different levels and conduct 40-60 minute behavioral/case interviews. There is also a demonstration of the work with someone at your level.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to be in life sciences health care consulting specifically?   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable. 1 week to accept.

Business Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at ZS Associates.

Applied through their online site in October. Got a callback in March.
    I was not impressed with firm itself. I had another job deadline and HR would not help expedite the process.
    Interview consisted of a case study on WebEx, which did not work the first time. Case study involves lots of number crunching on the fly.
    All in all, the process was very unprofessional.

Business Technology Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates.

1st round - HR -> 30mins- Very genuine and straight forward questions about resume, work experience and brief discussion on BTA role/interview process. Amazing HR.

2nd round- Case study -> 45mins- Interviewer gave a case study on sales data ( DB questions- indexing, characterizing etc). they are very concerned about wrapping up the interview in exact 30mins. Amazing interviewer

3rd round- Behavioral interview -> Interviewer had an heavy accent, and was so nervous that interviewer literally stammered while asking questions. It made me so uncomfortable, and sort of threw me off. It did not go well. When I finished talking or stopped to see if we were on same page, there were awkward silences. It was so weird. Worst behavioral interviewer ever! I have done well in all my behavioral interviews including McKinsey. Interviewer asked me basic quests like tell me abt ur leadership skills, talk abt team work, how do u manage a project downtime, etc. Again, interviewer cut off exactly at 29:59 mins (LOL). I saw it on my phone. BTW- this interviewer also checked my linked profile ;)

I did not make it to the 4th round cuz of what I believe the behavioral interview, although, the HR said I needed more technical skills. I did excellent in my technical interview and answered all questions correctly. The 2nd round interviewer was so happy with me.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates.

Step 1: Phone interview: 1 hour, 30 minutes technical/30 minutes behavioral. Technical question was: Given a list of words, find the 5 most frequently occurring words. Write pseudocode. The interviewer gave me the question, then hung up and called me back 10 minutes later to discuss my solution. We discussed the runtime complexity, data structures used and their effect on performance, what would happen if solution was modified in such -and-such way, etc.
    Behavioral: Basically just asked a bunch of questions. What was your biggest project, what role did you play in this project, what are some difficulties you encountered and how did you solve them, did you ever have problems with team members, etc. Basic behavioral questions. Then was allowed to ask questions. Was told that they would get back to me in a week. I heard back from them to schedule an on-site in Evanston.

On-site: Arrived a bit early, was given a folder with info on the company, benefits, brochures, and other miscellaneous things.

When the time to start the interview arrived, I was escorted downstairs for a demo with one of the software development team members. They went over the various technologies they use and what products they are making. This lasted around 20-30 minutes. At the end there was some time to ask questions.

Then I was taken to a conference room and given a packet with 3 software engineering problems and told to do two of them. I was given 45 minutes alone to work on them. The first problem was: Create classes to implement windows and visible regions of overlapping windows. The second problem was algorithmic: Given a grid of black and white cells, find the biggest connected black square. The third was related to database models; I believe it was to create an E-R diagram for some business. I decided to do the first two; however, the first question was actually a bit vague, and the instructions I was given were confusing, even when I asked questions. It turned out to be more of an algorithmic question of finding out if some region is visible, instead of just creating class structures. Because of this I did poorly on the first problem. The second, I was able to develop a pretty good algorithm for. After the 45 minutes is up, a manager comes in to discuss your solutions with you, and you have a chance to ask questions.

I then met with the department manager for a behavioral round. This guy seemed like he wasn't enjoying the interview at all, like it was a huge chore for him. However, I answered the questions as best I could. At the end there was a chance to ask questions.

After this, I went out to lunch with another member of the software team. We had a nice conversation while eating sushi. After lunch, we headed back to the office for wrap up where I was told I would hear back in a week if they were interested. Didn't hear back though.

Business Associate Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ZS Associates.

There are two rounds of interview from campus recruiting for LA office.
    1st round consists of 2 interviews, one behavioral by managerial position, one case by an associate.
    The case was pretty straightforward and structured. It's kind of like a walk-through of how they help clients market new products.
    The manager was friendly and shared a lot of trend issues with me.

2nd round consists of 3 interviews, 1 demo.
    1 case interview was like a structured, walk-through as well. Might need to be careful not to make stupid mistakes. I did that...
    1 case interview was more open-ended. I got a packet of slides and need to come up with recommendation. The manager suggested me to say my final recommendation first before explaining why.
    1 behavorial interview was hard. The interviewer really wants specific answer.

Interview Questions
    • What is a time where you had to make judgment that is not easy to make?   Answer Question