ZS Associates

Updated Feb 20, 2015

3.6

Business Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at ZS Associates.

I first spoke with the recruiter because I was referred by a current employee. She set up a phone interview that consisted of a case study and a behavioral interview. I thought my case study was a wreck but I received a second interview. The second interview was in office and lasted all morning. They were unprepared and it was very hectic but overall I had a good experience. There were 2 case interviews, 1 behavioral with the director of the office, and 1 session with a current business associate. Did not end up getting an offer because they felt I didn't have enough business knowledge due to my science background.

Interview Questions
    • I come from a science background and they expected me to know a lot of complex business terminology and equations.   Answer Question

Business Technology Consultant - Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at ZS Associates.

I went through a referral process. I had my interview last week. The first round had a behavioral and a technical questions round (It was supposed to be a Technical Case study).
    The interviewers were very helpful and professional, though I didn't like the format being changed at the last moment. I am still waiting for my results.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a situation where you had to convince the client to change the requirements.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates.

Long. It took 2-3 weeks just to get an interview schedule. I had to work with three separate HR people in order to do that. I was initially screened by one, but then had to communicate with two more.
    Only given online, webex case interview with a phone discussion. Not your typical case interview. No ability to ask questions. It's all strictly controlled on a slide by slide process. Over the phone you have no idea as to the progress you're making. You are not given any ability to demonstrate anything past straight analytics. There was a hard stop after exactly one half hour and as soon as the clock struck that time, I was given a "goodbye" and a disconnect. The person was professional but impersonal.
    I was supposed to receive a behavioral interview, but after all their delays and I assume my perceived poor performance on the case interview, this was eliminated. They did not want to get to know about 15+ years of experience, but just make a decision based on my math capabilities.
    I feel this organization is looking for analytical automatons instead of those that can actually lead, manage, and direct. May be a good place for newly minted MBA's or undergrads to start a career, but seems like a hard fit for very experienced professionals.

Interview Questions
    • Phone case interview should be completely re-structured to actually allow dialogue and help in the case reveal.   Answer Question

BA Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates in February 2014.

I applied through my university's job search engine.

My first round interview was on campus and it was two parts, one hour long. One part was a basic behavioral interview. Very straight forward - the interviewer will as for you to illustrate characteristics or qualities that are specifically important for consulting and working at ZS. Make sure you have good answers with experiences and stories to back them up (and make sure you prepare at least 2 stories deep for every common question, they may ask you "okay thats good, give me another example"). The other interview was the case interview, and ZS does it a little differently - they gave me worksheets that had their own information and objectives to solve. Once you complete one, you can move on to the next one. I really liked this because it gave you some direction and didn't just throw you in the water like traditional cases, but the tradeoff is, is that the cases are pretty difficult, and its important to not lose focus or get frustrated.

Second round is at the the closest office to your university (This does not mean you will work at that office for your internship, you have the option to choose any of the offices). The second round consisted of several rounds. First was a 45 minute behavioral - these questions are a lot more specific than the behavioral in the first round. Second round was the first case, and it was 45 mins of individual prep, and then a 45 min presentation and discussion with the interviewer. Next was another case interview, followed by a demonstrational interview, where they walk you through something similar to what you would be doing at ZS and ask you questions along the way to see how you think. Finally the last part was a lunch interview, where you ask them questions about the firm. Overall the second round was pretty exhausting, but it was a lot of fun.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to tell someone something they didn't want to hear?   Answer Question

Associate Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Very straight forward. It is split into two 30 minute interviews. The first is very behavioral (tell me about a time when...) and questions like Why ZS? The second portion is a case interview. The case is just a packet they hand you and say "go". Very simple math and they ask you to brainstorm a few ideas for recommendations.

Business Analytics Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online – interviewed at ZS Associates in February 2014.

Final round interview was a half-day visit on-site at the office. Schedule was laid out beforehand so there were no surprises. The recruiter I was corresponding with really put in care and effort in picking out who I would be interviewing with for each specific part of the day, and I ended up having an almost all-women interview panel! Quite a few of my interviewers had a connection with my university and my engineering background.

I have not yet received an offer or rejection, was told that the result would be coming within a week of my interview.

Interview Questions
    • Everything was as expected and as detailed in the communications with the recruiter. Typical questions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at ZS Associates in February 2014.

Round 1- One case interview and one behavioral interview. Interviews were conducted by managers and partners.
    Round 2- One case interview, one behavioral interview, and one written case presentation. The case and behavioral interview was conducted by partners. For the written case I was given a deck of about 30 slides and a problem statement. I had 45 minutes to go through the information and create a power-point presentation that presented my analysis and solutions. I then had a few minutes to present to two managers, followed by a questions.
    I interviewed on-campus for round 1 and in Evanston for round 2.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you worked in a team
      Tell me about a time you worked with a challenging person

Answer Question

Business Operations Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates.

I interviewed through campus recruiting. We had a hour first round interview that was two parts -- one was a 30 min case and another was 30 min fit. I interviewed with two different people. The fit interview was pretty standard. The case was interviewer led and based off a packet that they walked you through. Very straight forward. You need to be comfortable with analyzing charts and spreadsheets quickly. Market share is something to very comfortable discussing.

I was invited to the final round in Evanston. Two cases similar to the first round and a fit interview along with lunch and a walk through with a BOA. It was a good experience, and I would have liked working there.

Interview Questions
    • They had an "analytical case" that expected you to break down the process of a sales company and resolve management issues.   Answer Question

Business Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates in January 2014.

I began the interview process as a referral in December and set up a first round phone interview for early January. I flew out a couple weeks later for an on site super day. The recruiter was nice and very helpful even though we were working together around the holidays.

First Round:

Case Interview (30 Minutes - Phone): The case wasn't too challenging but you are forced to make recommendations on the spot and run calculations which can be stressful. Try to sound confident and be articulate.
    Behavioral Interview (30 Minutes - Phone): Three standard fit questions followed by my own questions for the interviewer.

I was invited to a second round at the San Mateo office. There were three interviews, a project demo, and lunch with a current Business Associate.

Second Round:
    Lunch: Very casual, make sure you show interest in the company and be personable.
    Behavioral (30 Minutes): Mine was with a principle, not very high stress. Three fit questions, each of which turned into a small conversation. See above.
    Analytical Case (80 Minutes): You are given 40 minutes of prep time to work through a packet of information, make calculations and recommendations, then draw up a few ppt slides to walk through with a consultant. This was the most stressful part of the day. You'll be rushed so make sure you double check you numbers, ZS really cares about quant skills.
    Project Demo (45 Minutes): A Business Associate went over a few quantitative and qualitative projects typical of a BA. Make sure you show interest and ask good questions.
    Case Interview (45 Minutes): Very similar to the first round case interview only in person.

Overall great experience. I was stressed but confident enough not to let it show. Double check all of your calculations and try to be articulate. They emphasized multiple times that they're looking for someone who not only can do the job well but also fit in the culture. I felt like I fit in well which made me less anxious overall.

People: It's a very young office with people from all over the country. Everyone that I met was very intelligent and seemed like they enjoyed their job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when something didn't go as planned. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    The salary was competitive so I did not negotiate. The start date is flexible.

Business Analytics Associate, Post-Bacc Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ZS Associates in January 2014.

Contacted by recruitment 9 months out of undergrad after (understandable) no response from on-campus recruiting. Went through pre-screening over the phone; seemed focused primarily on making sure I could start quickly and had no obvious red flags. Received phone interview schedule about a week later.

First round over the phone; consisted of a behavioral interview with a project manager and a case interview with a consultant. Behavioral interview questions seemed very standard. Case interview was as I stated above. I got an offer to use Excel (with the interviewer software-ing in to see my screen) but turned it down. That was a mistake;, accept it and use it as much as possible.
    N.B.: Case was unexpected, but not hard. If it showed up in an MBB-type interview it would have been maybe 1/4-1/3 of a product launch case. Could easily be finished in 10 minutes with Excel and no panicking.

Second round consisted of lunch with an associate, behavioral interview (conventional questions), written case interview (40min work + 40min analysis with interviewers), presentation of BAA work, then a second case interview. The written case was deeper and harder than the one over the phone, but the same type of question. 4 parts, 3 very quantitative and the last slightly less so. I finished 3, which was above average. Walked through my analysis with the interviewers (recently-promoted from BAA) and then did Part 4 with them. The second case interview wasn't introduced that way on the itinerary and was just given as a very low-detail "Hey, think about this" question; the linear thinking skills from MBB-type practice WILL be necessary here, and frameworks might be useful.

No offer, credited (by them) to going scattered during the final step instead of approaching it the way I would an MBB-type case.

Interview Questions
    • The verbal case question:
      1) Let's say you're looking to open a clothing store. How would you figure out where to put it?
      which later led to
      2) You make a lot of money and someone asks to borrow $50k. How do you figure out if you'll give it to them?

View Answer