ZeniMax Media

5 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Designer Interview

Designer

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at ZeniMax Media.

Interview Details – The interview process with Zenimax was very professional. It was a day long event with many leads and subject matter experts from various disciplines asking relevant questions. They were straight forward and honest as to the current status of the project. They previewed not only the game but gave me an in depth tool demonstration as well.

Interview Question – Describe the most challenging feature you were asked to design.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Zenimax is a large company and moves a bit slower than some might expect. Be patient.

Network Administrator Interview

Network Administrator
Rockville, MD

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at ZeniMax Media in April 2013.

Interview Details – Initial communication via email shortly after sending my resume, no HR or phone interview, scheduled to meet the tech team right away. Overall, probably the best interview experience I had so far in my life.

First, there are very few standard nonsense HR questions. Don't waste time rehearsing answers to questions like "where do you see yourself in five years?" (sitting in your chair, sipping scotch, why?), "what can you bring to the company in addition to your technical skills?" (I can bring my cat if you let me) or "Why you chose ABC inc?" (because I hope you'll pay me my salary, right?). Leave that stuff for your next interview with yet-another-consulting-firm. Here, it's all technical. Even better, it's not just a "Please rate your experience with SANs on the scale 1 to 10" type of questions (which have always confused me big time, how am I supposed to know? It's eleven!), there are actual quiz questions. So, brush up your knowledge of networks, Active Directory, standard tcp/ip ports, subnetting et al, you'll need it. Not too hardcore though - I expected more of IOS and Linux.

Second, the interview is very informal and quite funny, so is the general atmosphere. People seem to be genuinely interested in what they do. No dress code (yay!) Metro accessible location, quiet DC suburb. Everyone - from the receptionist, to the HR and the tech team are super nice and friendly.

Worth attending, regardless of the outcome, just to get a chance to see Zenimax/Bethesda from the inside (and a must if you like video games, like myself, - something to tell your friends later) and meet these guys. If you're skilled enough and lucky, you'll see your name in the credits of the next TES series game, how cool is that?

Interview Question – Tell us a joke   Answer Question

QA Tester Interview

QA Tester
Cockeysville, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ZeniMax Media in June 2012.

Interview Details – Resume sent, Instant reply back with a QA Team questionare by email, then Live Interview at studio.Then a quick reply with offer.

Interview Question – Write a bug (any bug)   Answer Question

Character Artist Interview

Character Artist
Uppsala, Uppsala (Sweden)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at ZeniMax Media in December 2010.

Interview Details – Very thorough, they look into everything they can find about you from people you worked with and projects you participated on. Very straight up and honest in the interview process, they will tell you why you are there.

Usually they have a longer than usual hiring process, with a long probationary period, for the benefit of both the applicant and the company/studio in question. This is coupled with multiple interviews/performance reviews to make sure that everything is working out well.

Interview Question – There were no real gotcha-type questions. The hardest part was not showing my excitement after they had told me about their project and then asked me how I felt about it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Straightforward, I put up a number I thought reasonable, they told me how high they were willing to go and we settled on a final salary within minutes and shook hands.

Marketing Interview

Marketing

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at ZeniMax Media in October 2010.

Interview Details – Hiring manager was friendly and asked the following types of questions:
1. Why are you interested in the video games industry?
2. Do you play video games? What games?
3. What are your favorite video game ads?
4. How would you ad value?

The phone interview lasted about 30 minutes with about 10 minutes being my questions. The follow-up email from HR was ambiguous about the next step, and after a few weeks of no follow-up it was pretty clear they passed.

Interview Question – What are your favorite video game ads and why?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for ZeniMax Media? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ZeniMax Media interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by ZeniMax Media employees and interview candidates.