ZestFinance

2.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at ZestFinance

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at ZestFinance in July 2014.

First was a 30 minute screener with the lead of recruiting/HR, then a call was scheduled with the hiring manager.

Prior to the 2nd call, I researched the Product team and there has been a good amount of turn over. The team was close to 10 and now is 2 people (also, one of the 2 is remote per linkedin). When the call began, I was told that HR would listen in. When I asked what my responsibilities would be, the answer was vague, probably something with the existing product. When I brought the turn over issue up, the HR person interrupted, saying they were in transition and that they were hiring aggressively. Generally, I felt they weren't clear or transparent on what the job/product/team would be. I chose to end the interviewing process after this call.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hollywood, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ZestFinance.

I applied through their website and I received a call from the recruiter. He gave a good overview of the whole company and saw if I am good match. Then I got call from project manager who gave a really detailed overview of the daily schedule at the company. The third phone screen was an engineer who asked me couple of questions in algorithms and programming. They were pretty simple and straight forward.

I was given an assignment a week before. I cannot give the details of the assignment but make sure you do null checks, exceptional handling, read through the fine print and give some unit tests for the project to make it impressive. For the F2F in CA they flew me before day and booked a hotel very close to the office. I had four rounds of interview. the first one was basically to test algorithmic skills. It was pretty simple too. Then they took me out for lunch. HR and couple of other employees were with me for lunch. They are extremely liberal, talking about firings in the company, bad mouthing management and also talked about some stuff which I felt really uncomfortable to sit there and listen. It was not bad stuf but just personal stuff you would wonder "Should I sit here, stare at food and act I like I dint listen or nod in agreement". I thought the lunch would be more about talking to me about my interests and stuff, not a session to talk about their personal problems. Well Anyways! That was something HR should work on I guess. All in all they are really lovely people.

After that I had a HR round. Beware of these questions:
    "Did you ever have an argument with your co workers?"
    "Do you know what is our objective and what we do?"

I researched about the company but they are deciding questions was what I thought. Since I screwed them up. Anyways there was pairing session where pair programming was done. The guy who interviewed me was very friendly, but he talked a long time about company that there was not enough time left to solve the problem. I dint get the offer in the end but I thought it was a good experience. They really like what they are doing. The office is really cool. They dont ask you any questions that put you on edge. My short coming was HR round I think because everything else was pretty simple. I would have accepted the offer if I got through. It looked like a good company with a great scope to grow.

Interview Questions
    • Write a program on white board to reverse an array?

Now dont use any extra space but just the two iterators to solve the problem.

Now use just one iterator and no extra space and reverse an array?

Pair programming with a problem they currently have.

Best way to arrange the phone numbers of all the people in the world?
      Skip lists

Answer Question

New Grad Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hollywood, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ZestFinance in January 2013.

I applied through indeed and got a call within a week from the head of talent acquisition to schedule a phone interview. They have following steps:

1. Phone interview with Adam.
    2. Phone interview with Director of Engineering.
    3. Technical Interview
    4. A project and onsite interview at their Hollywood office.

I like the overall hiring process because they were not just asking questions but gave a lot of insights about the company as well especially in the second phone interview. So they make sure you like working with them. I had already read a lot about their CEO Douglas Merrill before the interview and his business perspective and that was totally reflected during the onsite interview. The onsite interview is a all day long chain of interviews with the presentation of the project. I just loved the work culture of the company. Super cool office decor too, where you would have fun while working. I had given Amazon's onsite interview at Seattle a day before this interview and I could totally see the difference between startups and big companies. I knew I would accept their offer right away if I get one from them and would not wait for Amazon's decision.

Interview Questions
    • Cannot comment on the exact questions. But the interviews had a mix of general technical interview questions with the understanding of algorithms and data structures and behavioral HR questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ZestFinance in April 2012.

1) message via Linked In from Adam Redlich (head of talent acquisition)
    2) phone screen with Adam Redlich
    3) phone screen with Ian Hall (head of engineering)
    4) phone screen with Engineer
    5) on-site homework presentation and interviews with multiple employees (engineers, general counsel) and candidate lunch
    6) hire

From start to finish, everything happened in about a month. I was sold because I had the opportunity to work with people that seemed very smart people and very social.

Interview Questions
    • Are you interesting in moving to California?   View Answer

Modeler Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at ZestFinance in June 2012.

this is a 2nd round phone interview, why zestfinance, what fit, some techniqual statistics concept