Zillow

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Zillow.

Sent in my application and heard back shortly after from a recruiter asking me typical HR questions. After talking for about 30 minutes the recruiter said they were going to send a technical exercise to complete and send back. I don't remember the questions anymore, but I believe one was to create a slideshow without using Javascript.

A few days later had a technical interview with one of the engineers. Questions were about Javascript, and vaguely remember one about encapsulation and closures. I was invited for an onsite interview a few days later.

Onsite started around 1 PM and lasted until 5-6 PM. The office had an amazing view of Elliott Bay, and it was a clear, sunny day so the view was even better. The recruiter greeted me and brought me to one of the conference rooms where I would wait for my interviewers. I was offered something to drink, and waited for my first of 4 interviews that progressed in seniority.

First interview was with the engineer I spoke with on the phone and we continued some of the questions asked over the phone. Coding on a whiteboard wasn't something I had done for a while, but the interviewer seemed satisfied. Next interview was with another engineer, and this was the most enjoyable interviewer because we discussed various technologies and just had a good time talking. Third interview was with another engineer who dived into arrays and algorithms. I'm not a CSE major, but the purpose was to assess problem solving ability. I enjoyed this as well because the interviewer wasn't trying to make you feel bad at all, but instead understood I didn't have a CSE background and wanted to see if I could understand the purpose of the exercise.

The fourth and final was with the most senior engineer who subsequently started the talk by saying how he's related to someone rich and famous. Not the best way to start things and definitely did not give off a good first impression. He wanted to continue the discussion on arrays, but unlike the previous person he made it feel like he wanted you to feel bad about not knowing his solution. I was already tired from the previous interviews so couldn't come up with additional solutions besides the one I had already presented.

A day or two later I was notified that the senior engineer had chosen someone else, which I wasn't surprised by given the vibe I got. All in all, I might consider Zillow again in the future with the hopes that senior engineer has matured a little more. Overall, interview was fine until the end.

Interview Questions