Zillow

Updated Jul 28, 2014
Updated Jul 28, 2014

25 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zillow in July 2014.

Applied via LinkedIn and was contacted by an HR recruiter to set up a brief phone interview, which was a simple screen. Then I had a video interview which was a one-way skype - 20 seconds to prepare for a question that popped up on the screen. After that since I was an out of state applicant I had a phone screen with their sales manager. Was invited to Seattle to interview with two sales managers after that. My issue is I spent nearly $1,500 flying out there from Florida and all I got in return was a copy and paste generic email saying I didn't get the job. No reason, no explanation, nothing. Not a good sign of a good company, glad I didn't get the job. Seems like their product is getting tired, too. There's only so many agents. Stay away.

Interview Questions
  • Interviewer asked me if I had more energy. Wanted to tell him I just spent $1,000 on a flight and flew all night to get there, seemed like an inappropriate interview question.   Answer Question

Zillow Response

Jul 22, 2014Director Recruiting

Thank you for your interview feedback. As a company and as part of our recruiting philosophy, we value swiftness of communication and timely feedback. With that, we have opted to use email in ... More

Other Interview Reviews for Zillow

Inside Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Zillow.

The first 3 pre-interviews went well with relatively normal interview questions. Then there was my final phone interview... The guy that interviewed me was a recently promoted sales director and seemed pissed off and put out that he had to talk to me. He was abrasive and had all of the charm of a used car salesman. He also made it seem like Zillow was just a factory for outbound phone calls saying that 150+ phone calls a day would be expected. Needless to say, it turned me off on him and Zillow in general.

Inside Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Zillow.

3 step interview process. First a phone interview with the recruiter. Than a video interview which is difficult because it's similar to talking to a wall. Then, you are called into the office to meet with 2 sales managers and the VP of sales. The face to face interviews were horrible. I was put in a dark room (similar to an interrogation room) and waited long times in between each interview. The questions they give you are fast paced and they expect you know your stuff when it comes to sales.

Interview Questions
    • Real Estate agents have heard every pitch from every salesperson, what would you say to them that is different from everyone else?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Inside Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zillow in April 2014.

I went through 2 phone interviews before being asked to come in for the face-to-face interview. I am pretty sure the phone interviews were to evaluate your excitement level and phone voice before moving forward. (So have good energy) I had three interviews back to back. The first two were with floor managers. I was asked to sell something that I sold in my past job and WHY I WAS GOOD FOR ZILLOW! Then the final interview was with the OC office sales manager which was were the expectations of this job were clearly outlined. Intense interview but prepared me for the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Zillow.

This was a pretty straightforward sales interview. HR phone interview, Sales Director Phone Interview, then in person interview with 2 sales managers and the sales director. Show enthusiasm, resiliency and that you're a hard worker. Those are important to you being successful in the position. Be prepared, research the company and be ready to sell something in the interview. They are very transparent, the job is not easy and they tell you that, but keep in mind all sales jobs are challenging. The interview process moves fast and they will make their decisions quickly.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, it's a sales job, sell something to make money. Base pay is competitive and benefits are great.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Zillow in March 2014.

several phone interviews, very high energy and good questions, then you're asked to come in for on site interviews. They emailed permission to complete my background check.(which I received in the mail, all clear) Then the three interviews, sales manager, hiring manager and director of sales. In the face to face there was very little energy nothing like the phone. This was the day after St. Patricks day. They looked beat up,

Interview Questions
    • When the hiring manager asked me "why do you want to get out of the Real Estate industry?" I said I did not think I was getting out of the Real Estate industry, just switching focus to help agents. He quickly scolded me and I mean scolded " We are not a real estate company, we are a media advertising company".   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Zillow.

Included 2 phone interviews and 1 in person interview. Was a little challenging coming up with a mock sales call with pretend products on the spot.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Zillow.

Had a total of four rounds of interviews. First round consisted of a basic phone interview with HR, Second round was a phone interview with one of the sales managers. Third round consisted of two interviews back to back with sales managers in-person. Final round consisted of an interview with the Chief Revenue Officer (The Chief Sales Officer was unable to make it that day). They like people with a lot of energy, The job is about making people excited about the product so its ok to sound excited to talk about them.

Interview Questions
    • Who are our main competitors and what do we do different?   View Answer
    They said there was no negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Zillow in October 2013.

Interviewing was , easier than most, they ask you to sale something fictitious , you go through 3 managers during the process, if chosen you will get a call the next day. You then put in a training class for two weeks. After that your in a on the job training for another two weeks

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zillow in June 2013.

Zillow's interview and hiring process for there "Inside Sales Consultant" position feels more like a cattle drive than a search for quality sales people. Their recruiting staff has no professional tact and is completely un-organized and not on the same page within their own department. Let me just break down how the whole process worked from start to finish:

1. I saw that their Seattle office was hiring Inside Sale people and I had a friend who works for them refer me to a recruiter.

2. He then called me and said that the recruiter liked the looks of my resume and that she would be calling me later that day for a phone screen (those were the recruiters exact words to my friend)... However, that day came to pass and the recruiter never called.

3. Two days later I finally got a call from the recruiter for my first phone screen, that conversation went well, so she then set up my second phone interview with a Sales Manager. The Sales Manager was much more on top of it than the recruiter and he actually called me when he was scheduled to (imagine that). That phone interview also went well and I was then told by the Sales Manager that a different recruiter would be calling me to se up a face-to-face interview.

4. I showed up for the face-to-face interview which lasted about an hour (with multiple Sales Managers) and then I was sent on my way home. The recruiter told me after the interview that they were looking to hire people quickly and that I would be receiving a call the next day to let me know either yes or no... Once again, the recruiter didn't call the next day. THREE DAYS LATER, she sent me a generic e-mail stating; "thanks for your interest, but we're pursuing other candidates). Not even a phone call.

5. I wanted a reason why they chose not to go with me, so that I could better myself for future interviews as I job search, so I called the recruiter... No answer, so I left her a voicemail. She never returned my call, so I sent her an e-mail. She never returned that e-mail either.

6. To top it all off, six days later I ended up getting an e-mail from a different Zillow recruiter asking me to call him because he thinks I'd be a great fit for their Inside Sales Position.........

So, if you like run-arounds with big corporations, people not keeping their commitments, and being ignored once you're (apparently) "out of the running", Zillow is definitely the company for you!

Interview Questions
    • They through me into a roll playing senario for a cold call.   Answer Question